Goods news on Elna

Options

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Dear Liz

So lovely to see you on my thread again. Thank you so much for letting me know that the voice "change" is not probably permanent. :lol: Your surgeon gave you a bit too much detail replying to your questions! :roll:

I also have found that every now and again, when eating, I swallow and the food will not go down and I keep swallowing and feel like I cannot breath and that I am going to choke. It is a bit scary. Go on tell me, I should not be so greedy and put less in my mouth and chew the food more :roll: Never had that problem before the op. When this happens I loosen the collar and so far so good, all has been well. The last thing I need is for caring hubby to bash me on the back, trying to be helpful, to dislodge the food. He has only whitnessed it once, the other times I have been on my own. He said why didn't you have a drink and I said it felt like there was no room for liquid as well!

It is so re-assuring to know that you are there for me and Julie too, when she has similar done. Bless you, dear Liz.

I do hope you are okish and that your weekend goes well. Some of the family are in Lanzarote so I know I will not be seeing my grandaughter. Yes, I do have a very light iron, bought from Woolworths!

Love and gentle hugs
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    HI Elna

l am sooooo glad you slept better last night! You can cope with much more can't you if you get your sleep :wink:

I just tried your exercise and l like it! It is a good one and l will add it to my list to do as well.

I am happy to hear you sounding so good :smile: worried that tinsel will irritate you though...you know when you decorate the collar :???:

Love

Toni xx

PS Re the ironing...well l have got a bit of a pile, but this lot...they'd have me guts for garters :lol:

(I could put the board up for you...whispered quietly)
  • elnafinn
    Options
    :lol: You're a card Toni, put the ironing board up! Would you mind also plugging the iron in too :lol: No worries about the tinsel I do have a good few weeks, before I will do the "collar decorating".

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Glad to hear you are progressing well,the excersise sounds interesting.Whos doing the ironing?havent caught up yet after our trip to paris.Mig
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear Mig :smile:

Thank you for calling in on my thread. Are you getting used to your shoes a little better now? Men can be quite tactless at times, :roll: well mine can. :| The exercise was suggested to me because I suffer from Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) and whether it worked or not, but I slept so soundly last night. I have noticed after ops the RLS rears its ugly head pretty regularly for a goodly time. I shall do that exercise a few times, again before bed tonight.

I am doing the ironing. :smile: I will help you. :smile: That's the trouble, after a break away, the chores when you get back! :roll: :wink:

Love
    Elna x

• ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Elna,

I hate the restless leg thingy, there is no getting away from it and you have to get up and have a wonder. I was also told about the wall exercise with the added bonus of firming the arm bat wings.. :grin: Do you think there will be a row of us tonight all trying in sync. :lol:

Oh my word, the food getting stuck in your throat sounds very scary. I do hope that particular symptom goes sooner rather than later. Good news about the plasters coming off, another step forward.

Gentle hugs,
    Lv, I x
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hello dear Ironic,

:lol: I for one will be doing a few repeats of that wall and hands exercise! You are right, I too have to get out of bed and walk about. Sometime I go and eat something because I know that guarantees that when I get back into bed I will sleep but I cannot keep doing that! :lol:

You are right, feeling that the food will not go down and you are doing a swallow after swallow has not been pleasant. Although it has only happened a few times, it was scary. I am hoping Liz (mermaid) may answer that for me. If it continues I shall of course mention it to the consultant.

Thank you for the hugs, much appreciated, sending some back for you, lovely fluffy ones,

Sleep well, when your bed is calling you,

Love
    Elna x

• lupin15
    lupin15 Member Posts: 2,182
    Options
    Hi sorry to just drop on you all but what causes restless legs then?? The first time i every had it was when i had chemo..... it went away but does reappear... I can remember someone telling that they were given anti depressants to ease it...which sounds a bit drastic??? Not sure my wrist would with stand me doing wall press ups today...would end up with nose flattened :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: or on the floor.
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    lupin15 wrote:
    Hi sorry to just drop on you all but what causes restless legs then?? The first time i every had it was when i had chemo..... it went away but does reappear... I can remember someone telling that they were given anti depressants to ease it...which sounds a bit drastic??? Not sure my wrist would with stand me doing wall press ups today...would end up with nose flattened :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: or on the floor.

I can't answer what causes the restless legs, but when my hubby went to see the GP she said that if the cutting out caffeine didn't help, she'd put him on some meds - and I'm sure she said they were reluctant to prescribe them as they are ones used in the treatment of parkinsons.

Fortunately so far the caffeine reduction has helped him, but I'll tell him about the exercises, as many nights recently he's had bad cramp and they might help lessen the chances of that happening again.

WOnky xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Morning Elna :grin:
    It's a bit dull here today, I hope it is more pleasant where you are.

I did wonder if you were able to talk properly after the op. It wasn't the surgeon who explained that things had to be moved to the side so he could work, it was the doctor who told me. He was rather graphic too :shock:
    Think I'll buy a bell then if I may lose my voice, don't want Rich completely happy :lol::lol:

The swallowing of food, I wondered about that too. You poor thing elna, I hope that doesn't happen any more.

You are doing so well Elna at recovering and doing the odd chores,
    I tell Rich about your progress (hope you don't mind) BUT I miss the chores bits :lol: I am going for the suggestions of DD :lol:

Take care and enjoy your weekend
    Love Juliepf xx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Good morning dear Julie,

We were posting at the same time to Pals, I could have lost my reply but I have got crafty to that happening now. :lol::wink:

I do not mind at all, you telling Rich about my post op journey. I was not told about the likelyhood of a temporary voice change, probably because I did not ask. :oops: I was not unduly worried about it in the beginning as it made sense as the work was being done in the area of the voicebox. Actually I very rarely notice 10 days on that my voice is different to what it was but when I asked Ian he said it was not quite normal or as it was yet. People are more aware of it over the phone I think too and wearing the collar may not help either. It has most definately got heaps better so I am not worried about it. :lol: I like the bell idea. :lol:

As to the other occasional side effect, well it is not pleasant when it happens but it is not daily or anything. It has not put me off my food - that takes a lot. :lol: I wonder if the collar is sometimes a little tight and this may be a contributing factor. Actually now on occasion I have taken the collar off when eating, so much more pleasant. :grin:

I have a lump on my neck around the area the surgeon worked on and I can see that now as I have removed the plaster. I am not worried about that either, because it is bound to be swollen after the treatment it has been through.

You should have asked me about swallowing and if my voice had changed, Julie. You would have reminded me to chat about it. They seemed kind of normal side effects in the really early days. After the op I felt as though I had quite a bad, sore throat at times but was reassured in the hospital it was normal. That soon went though after a couple of days. Still did not stop me eating :lol:

Remember Julie, to ask me any questions you think of, either on here or via pm. :smile:

Overcast here too so far but not raining alhough we do need rain but it can rain at night if it likes!

Loads of love and have a really good weekend.

Elna x

• elnafinn
    Options
    Hi Lupin

The medics do not really know why some people suffer from RLS but it is thought it may be hereditory. My mum has it. My SIL has and her mum did too. Anyway, there is no cure as such as far as I am aware. I was given medication a long time ago and the unopened packet is still in the cupboard.I should take it back to the pharmacist really to let him dispose of it. I can have long periods when I am fine but it does most definately raise its ugly head after I have had an operation of which I have had 4 in the last three years. :roll: :smile:

I also heard that alcohol and sleep deprivation also may aggravate or trigger symptoms in some individuals. Sorry but I am not prepared to forgo a nice glass of wine with my evening meal :smile:

Aw bless you Lupin , definitely best not to do that exercise at the moment. Look after that wrist.

I hope you have an enjoyable weekend,

Love
    Elna x

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Elna

Good to see you up bright and early as usual :grin:

(After those pleasantries)

d020.gif

just to keep your mind occupied :lol:

Love and hugs

Toni xx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    I just phoned the hospital ward to ask if I should also remove the steristrip which was under the waterproof plaster on both of my wounds and the nurse said just leave it - it will fall off. I was sure that was what the nurse said on my discharge from the ward but as it is so firmly "stuck" on I was not totally sure if I had heard/understood correctly.

Take special care one and all, I am soon going out on my second walk post op, into town to the post office, supermarket and library with Ian. :grin:

Hiya Toni, enjoy your weekend. :grin: uptodate with the ironing at the mo :lol:

Love
    Elna x

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Good morning elna, we have a lovely day here today but chilly. I have put on the halogen heater, it is gently oscillating and bathing the room with a lovely, warming orange glow (why did I just spend £40 on a SAD lamp? This is just as cheering!) We are watching England lose their match against France. Mr DD has just yelled at the telly but it's all un-typable. :roll: I've tried explaining they are on the other side of the world but . . . . . . . DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    Hi my brave friend!

This is the first opportunity I have had to get online, so I am not fully up to date with your progress. I am still in Cadiz, and would love to send you some of the glorious sunshine, but will send my very best love, and good vibes instead.

I am - and have been - thinking of you. Much love to all my lovely friends, and I will be in touch very soon - too soon now I'm afraid!!!.......Ange.x.
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    We are watching England lose their match against France. Mr DD has just yelled at the telly but it's all un-typable. :roll: I've tried explaining they are on the other side of the world but . . . . . . . DD

same here DD ! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Hi Elna

enjoy your trip out - I hope it isn't as cold your way as it is here .... in the house it's positively arctic so I'm not planning going out for a while!

So glad that you can feel the progress, even in small steps.

loads of hugs
    WONky xxx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Good morning elna, we have a lovely day here today but chilly. I have put on the halogen heater, it is gently oscillating and bathing the room with a lovely, warming orange glow (why did I just spend £40 on a SAD lamp? This is just as cheering!) We are watching England lose their match against France. Mr DD has just yelled at the telly but it's all un-typable. :roll: I've tried explaining they are on the other side of the world but . . . . . . . DD

:lol: You do make me laugh, DD, laughter is definitely such a good tonic.
    I am a tad worried for you, though, with Mr DD in such a bad mood. Don't sit too near him or put your armour on!

Love
    Elna x

• elnafinn
    Options
    angel1 wrote:
    Hi my brave friend!

This is the first opportunity I have had to get online, so I am not fully up to date with your progress. I am still in Cadiz, and would love to send you some of the glorious sunshine, but will send my very best love, and good vibes instead.

I am - and have been - thinking of you. Much love to all my lovely friends, and I will be in touch very soon - too soon now I'm afraid!!!.......Ange.x.

Dear Ange,

So lovely to hear from you especially as you are on this wonderful holiday. All good things have to come to an end, my lovely. Thank you for thinking of me, it means such a lot to me. You are a gem. Enjoy that sunshine, we did have a glorious week starting the day I went into hospital. :roll: :wink: Could not have been worse timing for me, but others were so happy to see the sunshine, day after day. I was pleased for them.

Love and hugs
    Elna x

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    hi Elna,

sorry one handed just now.

your doing so well and so pleased to see you say its a bit better..... hows the pins and needles doing now flower?

sorry no more of the question marks cus thats me wimping and saying it hurt.

you enjoy your day out and if you happen to be passing Ra....

he is branching out to the jabs and did a half decent job :lol: mind i could send haz up in his best white coat cus he also is a half decent chiropractor ... though it can be a bit hit and miss....

sorry i deserted you for a few days but good to see you doing so well. have a good time out. hugs and tea Cris who just casually wonders if you could iron the sheeps best dress.... xx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    [quote="WonkylegsHi Elna, enjoy your trip out - I hope it isn't as cold your way as it is here .... in the house it's positively arctic so I'm not planning going out for a while!So glad that you can feel the progress, even in small steps. loads of hugs,WONky xxx[/quote]

Dear Wonky, I thoroughly enjoyed my outing with Ian thank you. It was fun but felt a little self conscious in the collar. I will go out on my own next week for a little wander. What the heck, I am an old woman so no one will be looking at me much with or without the collar. :lol::lol: I hope I do not meet too many people I know when I am out next week or I shall be away quite a time with them asking me questions! Did not see anyone I knew today but had a chat with the librarian as she made a comment. It is much cooler here but inside wearing this collar which is like having a thick woolly scarf wound round a zillion times I am not really feeling the chill so far.

You have a good day, Wonky. :smile:

Fluffy hugs whizzing your way,

Elna x

• bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    hi Elna just been doing a bit of back tracking you are doing brilliant , and sound very upbeat , its lovely , will we see you on the next round of xfactor as a Bonnie Tyler sound a like :lol: love and many hugs May xx
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Elna

Just calling in to catch up and you are doing well. Sorry the eating is a bit tricky though with the collar. Am sure Lola will recommend some jelly and ice cream to slip down nicely. :grin: Hope you are getting plenty of rest and that each day is a little more comfortable.
    Good to see Ange managed to call in, she did so want to wish you well herself.
    take care. Gentle hugs ((( )))
    love
    Chris xx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Aw Cris, it is good to see you back on the forum, but you shouldn't be. I only walked into town today with Ian so am back again now. I beg of you, just send the ironing over - it will be done in a trice. :grin: Now get back to resting like you should be doing. What do you mean apologising about not being on the forum, you were frigging busy having stuff done to try to get you better and more comfortable. I know it is no good telling you to rest, you will always do what you want to do, a little like me but I do not have responsibilities anything like you have.

Please, please slow down a little ............ promise?.........pretty please?

Lots of love
    Elna x

• elnafinn
    Options
    bertyboy wrote:
    hi Elna just been doing a bit of back tracking you are doing brilliant , and sound very upbeat , its lovely , will we see you on the next round of xfactor as a Bonnie Tyler sound a like :lol: love and many hugs May xx

Dear May, I do feel very upbeat, thank you, it is such a relief that the op is over.
    All the support I have had from you all too, has been way beyond what I ever thought it would be and it is wonderful and such a help. I am being looked after by Liz (mermaid) too who has been through similar and she has been a great help to me on this thread.

I am writing it all down on here so that when our dear pink flamingo, Julie goes in for a similar op, she can read that post op recovery is ok. It is the collar that is driving me a little barmy though but I know it makes total sense to wear it.

Bonnie Tyler.....xfactor..........thanks for the laugh :lol::lol::lol:

I hope you are going on ok too, this time around. :smile:

Love
    Elna x