Goods news on Elna

Options

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    chris7 wrote:
    Hi ElnaJust calling in to catch up and you are doing well. Sorry the eating is a bit tricky though with the collar. Am sure Lola will recommend some jelly and ice cream to slip down nicely. :grin: Hope you are getting plenty of rest and that each day is a little more comfortable.
    Good to see Ange managed to call in, she did so want to wish you well herself. take care. Gentle hugs ((( )))love Chris xx

Dear Chris, thank you for calling in. I take it you have the day off today. Make the most of it, if you can. Yes, it is lovely to see Ange's name on here, this is not the first time and especially as she is on a wonderful, holiday. I do feel that I am doing ok, but symptoms are still the same regarding the pins and needles and not being able to walk quite like I used to. Anyway, what will be, will be. This op will have stopped further damage occurring, so I am told and why should I disbelieve the consultant?

I hope you are wellish,

Love and fluffy hugs wending their way to you,
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • mermaid
    mermaid Member Posts: 104
    Options
    Hi Elna and Julie too and any other 'neck op' peeps!

You are still doing very well Elna, going for a walk is a challenge in the collar - dont know about you but I like to see where I'm putting my feet and sometimes it's difficult!

Swallowing and soreness - yes, difficult especially in the early days after surgery and this Miami collar is very restrictive for eating drinking and talking. There will inevitably be post op swelling inside as well as out, which causes constriction.

I had an anterior plate put at the front of my neck as well as the back and I am aware of it as my neck has got a bit skinny (scragbag!)

I also have Sjogrens syndrome with the RA so dont make too much saliva and cant deal with dry foods, rice or even apples very well. I have learned to make my food quite moist and to take sips of water in between. Jelly, ice cream and baby banana puree are delicious.

Do you find some tablets get stuck too? Sometimes it's the very little ones like methotrexate which seem to get stuck in a corner. I find smoothies or liquid yoghurty drinks better than water or juice at getting them down.

It's all trial and error. Remember it is still really early days in terms of healing and you are doing amazingly well.

Take care and rest well. Are you able to read OK? I'm seriously considering a Kindle from Father Christmas this year as I think it would be easier than keeping a book open at the right page.

Love,
    Lizx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Elna, sounds like you are recovering nicely. So nice to be the right side of an op and focusing on the recovery part with improvement to enjoy.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear Speedy,

Thank you for popping in. You are so right, so much better being the right side of an op especially one where work was done extremely close to the spinal cord. I do hope that you are ok, I miss you not being on the forum so much but appreciate that you are a very busy person. That is why it is extra special to hear from you, thank you.

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Thank you so much, dear Liz, for keeping an eye on us and answering my questions and offering advice. It is so refreshing to know that you are not that many clicks away to being there to help me and Julie.

I enjoyed my walk this morning and realised it can be a little daunting crossing a road with the collar on as you cannot turn your head but have to turn the whole body! I will get used to it. I appreciate what you are saying about not being able to see your own feet with the collar on. :roll: I will be brave next week and venture out on my own. That will be my project for next week.

:lol: Oh joy, Liz, I had a scraggy neck before I went in for the op, I too have an anterior plate so I will have the pleasure of an even scrawnier neck then? Oh what the heck, that is a small price to pay in the big scheme of things. :smile:

I am able to read ok but have only been doing that in short bursts so have not really found that to be too much of a problem. I have been on the pc much more instead. I was overwhelmed to receive a kindle from Ian's boss at his work. I could not believe it, I was struck dumb/speechless. In the past it has been a beautiful bouquet........ but a kindle ............ I know I am a very lucky girl and I have been helped so much by you and so many other friends on the forum, along with such massive support from my family, wider family and my few very good friends.

I hope you are enjoying your weekend, thank you so much again.

Please keep in touch,

Love Elna x

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Elna

I am glad that you were able to get out for your walk, when you go out on your own next week just take things slowly and steady. It has drizzled with rain all day here.

Blimey....a kindle from Ians boss, that was soooo nice :grin:
    You will love the kindle, I bought one a few months ago and I have read quite a few books now and they are so easy and quick to download.

Can I just say on your thread thankyou to mermaid for all the help and advice she is giving you, I am taking notes, also to you too elna for telling me all about your experiences.

Have a lovely sunday
    Love Juliepf xx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear Julie

It is a pleasure to be able to help you and perhaps make it a little easier when your turn arrives. I think it is good to be aware of these little "blips" that happen post op, they may not for you, but if they do, you will know that they are normal and will go away. I appreciate that your op is not quite the same as mine but it is information to store away. That is why I have been so grateful to Liz (mermaid) for helping me/us.

When I had my first knee op I was very grateful for the help and support I received from others "in the know" on the forum who had been through one or even both knee ops at the same time. After my op, I kept a kind of diary on the forum, hoping that it may help others who were going/would be going through a TKR later on.

I will take is steady, Julie ,when I venture out on my own next week. It is not too far to walk to town and back and I have done it today and I only held on to Ian when crossing one road. So I know I can do the walk there and back on my own.

You too enjoy your Sunday. I will be in touch on pm soon :wink:

Love
    Elna x

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    hi Elna,

it might not surprise you to know my rumo says things like 'just because you can doesn't mean you should'.....

just saying Mrs 'i will go up the steps' person :lol: i can't too much though :lol:

hope you are good tonight and really pleased you getting on m=with it so well.

oh i know its the lumber but the cord in my case was bent like a dogs hind leg and did a fair old whack of permanent damage to some of the l's and all the s's...

it took about 18 months to fully show how good it was after the decompression.... the pins and needles kinda became normal really and on a good day my left leg actually has reflexes so you hang in thee and you might be surprised yet..... mine was [he said] only 60% successful as well and it came this good.....

tea and a hug and a don;t do silly things draft.... not half drunk either :lol: Cris xx
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Get well soon all my love
    Colin
    XXX and a cudle
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Just checking in on you Elna

and good to see Colin has been in to see you :grin:

Take care lovely hope the legs have 'let up' and you got plenty of rest.

Love and hugs

Toni xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Elna, I keep nattering about your trip into town. I'm sure you normally walk much better than I do but, if your neck brace prevents you looking down, please beware kerbs. Some of them are fiendish little devils which stick out more at the bottom than the top or have unusually wide gutters etc etc for trapping the unwary. I'm sure that, unlike me, you'll be able to take them in your stride but, just in case........... Now go! And enjoy the walk.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Hello dear Cris,

I will defo hang on there - I will not give up without a fight - :lol: - you don't either, that is very obvious. :smile: Look after yourself though, so that you are able to look after your four legged friends.

Love
    Elna x

• elnafinn
    Options
    Colin1 wrote:
    Get well soon all my love,Colin XXX and a cudle

Aw, dear Colin, that means such a lot to me, thank you, for taking the trouble to call in on my thread. I know life is not treating you gently and so wish it would and I also know that you do not post often now too.

Bless you,

Love
    Elna x

• elnafinn
    Options
    Dear Sticky :smile:

Aw, thank you so much for your concern. I am walking very slowly and am being ultra careful especially when outside. Kerbs and uneven pavements can be so dangerous, can't they? I did actually venture out on my own yesterday afternoon to pay the papers at the newsagents for us and our neighbour. That went well, so I have already achieved what I wanted to achieve this week! The distance is nearly as far as into town and back without going into any of the shops. I took my time, I cannot do anthing else, at the moment. :smile:

I had been out with Ian on the Saturday morning and the Sunday morning before I ventured out on my own. I was able to put the rotary washing line up too this morning, which I could not do before the operation or after until now. It is so breezy here, the towels will soon be dry.Oh we have a glimmer of sunshine too.

You take care and I hope your day goes ok for you.

Love
    Elna x

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Good Morning Elna

Just popping in again to see how you are. :smile:
    Well done for hanging out the washing and getting those towels dry :wink: no chance of that here yesterday, drizzle,drizzle,drizzle and no chance today either, Rain :roll:

Take care, thinking of you
    Love Juliepf x
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Dear Elna my dongle is no more...I didnt throw it out the window...I have just got my proper connection back
    So I am calling in to see how you are doing, I hope it is going to plan and that you are getting lots of rest.sending you more gentle hugs ((((()))))
    Love
    Barbara
  • mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Glad to see that you are getting on with life again Elna.. But ihope you are not doing the ironing yet!!!

You're an inspiration to so many people on the forum..

Marion x
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear Julie, Barbara and Marion,

Today has been very breezy here but not cold and no sign of rain, Julie. I had to stay in to wait for a courier to arrive to take away two packages but afterwards I ventured, to the surgery again for yet another repeat prescription. None of them seem to run out together. I am pleased I only need to take 4 different kinds of tablets on a regular basis. On my way to the surgery, walking down the alley, this very kind young man, stopped for me to pass and said “take your time, take your time” and he was smiling away. I returned his smile and felt about 109 but I was touched by his politeness.

I have also made an appointment to see my GP at the end of next week as my BP was mainly high throughout my stay in hospital and various nurses and the pre op assessment nurse urged me to see y GP on discharge from the hospital. I do take a water tablet but it does not seem to be doing its job now. I have a monitor at home so am taking readings so as to have details to show the doc. I cannot believe that my mum’s very recent BP reading was 111/66 at the age of 87!

So pleased, Barbara that you have your proper connection back. I am actually not getting that much rest in the day because I feel so well. The proof will be in the pudding at my 6 week check. I do sit a lot at the pc so that is kind of resting isn’t it? Phone calls can be classed as resting too, in my book!

I have been doing the ironing, Marion for quite some time now! I cannot believe that it is only two weeks today that I went in to have this operation.

I have been helped immensely by all my friends on the forum, looking after and checking up of me. You are all stars.

Love to you all,
    Elna x

• ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Hi Elna, it sounds like you're doing great but do be careful not to overdo things. It must be very difficult but you're a real trooper and an inspiration to us all. Good luck with getting your BP under control hope you can get it sorted soon. Big hugs, Rita. :P
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Good morning, dear Rita, I hope you are wellish. I actually was ahead of myself, yesterday! :roll: It is today that it is 2 weeks since my op. At this time two weeks ago, I had already been at the hospital for 1 hour.
    I was very tired last evening after dinner, probably because I ate so much :oops: and had an early night and slept really well. Thank you so much for keeping in contact. It really does help my days go well.

Love
    Elna x

• cloud9
    cloud9 Member Posts: 385
    Options
    I realised that you and I were in hospital at the same time on 27th September. My op was at 8.30am so I think I'd been done and dusted before you went down. Good to hear that you're doing so well. Keep being good to yourself though. xx
    Sue (Cloud9)
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Good morning, dear Sue

You are right, I went down about 9.45 am on the 27th.

Do I remember rightly that you have another appointment on Friday with your dishy consultant? Or am I imagining it. When I was in the hospital the dishy doc from the pain clinic walked past and said, "I know that woman" and came across and put his hand on my shoulder, I put my hand on top of his. He asked how I was getting on. When he had gone, my daughter said "Cor, he's nice"! I didn't get a kiss though, like you. :wink::grin:

You take special care of yourself too, those kisses and hugs from grandchildren are wonderful aren't they? We are both very lucky to be grandmothers. I never dreamt it would be as wonderful as it is.

Love
    Elna x

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Morning Elna. Is it really only 2 weeks since your op? How lovely the dishy doc remembered you. You must have made quite an impression on him. See hospitals can have their good points......

I won't be around too much during thenext few days as it is the Gymnastics World championships so I will be glued to the t.v for a few days. Hope you continue to recover so spectacularly.

Much love Elizabeth. x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Elna,
    Great to hear that you are doing so well but we do worry about you being out on your own. (mother hens one and all)! But you know your own body and I can see that you are using these times as milestones in your recovery. So well done you, you are right in listening to your body and literally taking one step at a time. :grin:

I do hope the BP settles down soon for you.
    Lots of hugs and good vibes,
    Lv, I x
  • cloud9
    cloud9 Member Posts: 385
    Options
    Elna, Yes I'm back at the hospital this Friday for a dressing and cast change and, (hopefully), more hugs and kisses!! :oops: :grin:
    Grandchildren are amazing. I told my Ethan the other day that if I had to choose just 1 person to take care of me it would be him. And........I wasn't kidding, it's true. He's not quite 8 but has more idea about the help I need than anyone else. He's a star and I adore him. :lol::grin:
    Sue (Cloud9)