Leg pain at night

Options
richart12
richart12 Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Does anyone else on here experience pain in the legs at night, particularly the knees ( as I have osteoarthritis ), and it keeps me awake and I have to keep altering position or get up to walk about to find some relief..

Comments

• richart12
    richart12 Member Posts: 4
    Options

• stacey1977
    stacey1977 Member Posts: 36
    Options

Hi I suffer pain in my knees at night as I recently had knee alignment surgery on the left and my right is also causing pain my point is that yes it does help to get up because that relieves the pressure but that only works for a while I also tried putting some thing in between my knees as I couldn't bear for them to be touching and that seem to help too An heat pad or a cold pad helps too

Hope you find this useful as there is nothing worse than being in pain

If you go to the doctors they may suggest the injections in your knee and that worked for my right knee but not my left that's why I had operation

• Loggiemod
    Loggiemod Member Posts: 220
    Options

Hi @richart12 have a look at the following

I also read somewhere about people sleeping with a pillow between their knees. If I find the article I'll post it

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 398
    Options

I get pain everywhere to be honest, even my toes ache, but particularly a kind of cold ache just before bedtime that makes getting my legs into bed seem more painful. Once I settle down I like to have a bit of a stretch working round all the joints that ache including knees, For this I am mostly lying on my back,, as that was always the most comfortable position for my shoulders, but I also have to put my feet up on a foot wedge to stop them swelling. I don't seem to have any trouble nodding off.

• spetty
    spetty Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi yes I do I have osteoarthritis and I need knee joint replacement the pain I have is excruciating knee and leg hurt 24 hours a day can't sleep through pain doct gave me co codamal and gabapentin last week helps for little while then I'm in tears through pain again.waiting for appointment at knee clinic to have steroid injection in both knees and see if I need new joint .the only thing what stops it hurting is to get a wet tea towel make it wet with cold wring it out water and wrap it round my leg as the pain I have is below my knee front and side of my leg knee hurts but not as much as my leg it really helps and stops it hurting then I usually manage to sleep as it does stop the pain so you could give it a go

• swimmer60
    swimmer60 Member Posts: 202
    Options

@richart12

Have you tried pain/heat patches? I get arthritis in my fingers and find wrapping a patch round a finger helps.

• john62
    john62 Member Posts: 72
    Options

@richart12

Hi l have OA in both hips and knees and your leg pains sound similar to mine. Along with two lots of pain killers during the day l take two paracetamol about one hour before l go to bed, these particularly help with the pain in my ankles, shins and feet, they also seem to calm my irratable legs to a degree, l hope you can find somthing that works for you.

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 1,005
    Options

Hello @spetty and welcome to the Community. Glad you found us. If you need any more information then feel free to ask, join in existing conversations like this one or start a new one.

Best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm