Steroid injection.

Options

Hello, I’m new here. I’ve recently been diagnosed with bilateral basal thumb arthritis which is causing a lot of pain. I also have arthritis in my feet and knees which was only diagnosed at the end of 2023.

I have an appointment booked next week to have steroid injections in both my hands. I was wondering what to expect and whether I will be able to return to my teaching job straight after the appointment? Thanks.

Comments

• Naomi33
    Naomi33 Moderator Posts: 278
    Options

Hello @Appleblossom1981 and welcome to the online community.

I have had 3 steroid injections and was ok straight after the relief did not last long however but everyone varies with injections ??

The following link maybe of help......

Please keep posting I am sure people will connect with you soon.

Best wishes @Naomi33

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• IanS
    IanS Member Posts: 6
    Options

I had a cortisone injection in my wrist and was able to work the next day. Previous injections have caused a cortisone flare for a day or so which meant I couldn't drive.

• cedarrose
    cedarrose Member Posts: 2
    edited 17. Apr 2024, 20:14
    Options

Hello @Appleblossom1981, I have been diagnosed with the same location OA and I have also been booked for steroid injections in both thumbs.

Concerned the pain of injection to the post relief that it will give me?

• Appleblossom1981
    Appleblossom1981 Member Posts: 2
    edited 18. Apr 2024, 05:37
    Options

Hi @cedarrose I was given a local anaesthetic before the steroid injections and only had one thumb done at a time. I had to wait two weeks before getting the next injection. The injection wasn’t actually that bad. The doctor felt my thumb joints and asked about the pain to make sure that the injection went in the right place. He told me I could return to work but not to use my hands to twist off jar lids or carry anything heavy for a day or two. I had some bruising and discomfort for a couple of days but that has outweighed the relief the injections have given me in the long run. I had them in Feb and I am still pain free.
    Hope all goes well with you!