Please tell me it gets better

Options

I'm 29 and I've been told I either have Rheumatoid Arthritis (seronegative) or chronic inflammatory arthritis (they're still trying to work it out).

I've been told the minimum I will have this is for 2-3 years, but probably longer. If it's Rheumatoid it's lifelong. At the moment my arthritis is so extreme that most days it's impossible to leave the house, cook for myself or have any kind of life really.

I've been put on Hydroxychloroquine and Celecoxib as I also have a mad collection of stomach issues including ulcers that we have to be careful with.

Hydrox really scares me as it has a lot of scary side effects and the idea of living with this potentially for the rest of my life fills me with dread.

Has anyone had positive experiences with Hydrox, and has anyone been able to get better and live a normal life with these conditions? My consultant keeps trying to convince me it's possible but it's hard for me to see a way at the moment.

I'd love to hear the things you're able to do now, whether Hydox helped and gain a bit of positivity for the future!

Maddie xx

Comments

• Welsh1
    Welsh1 Member Posts: 73
    Options

There are people on here who have it many years who I am sure will share their stories have you read any of the authors who are young and living with it Emily johnson and there are lots on Instagram too. Living and doing normal stuff no one is saying it will be easy. I take hydroxychloroquine it's one of the first line dmards with methotrexate apart from a few weeks of body adjustments it reduces my symptoms in a few weeks. I am on max dose 400mg. Need your eyes checked intially and every year. Don't read to much of the side effects just be aware if you need to seek help. They don't happen to every one and all meds can affect people in different ways.

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 682
    Options

Hi @mosborn11

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum.

You’re recently diagnosed with arthritis, the exact kind still to be determined, but it is already dramatically impacting your wellbeing. 

You have been prescribed Hydroxychloroquine and Celecoxib and are understandably concerned about possible side effects. You'd like to hear from any forum members who are able to share positive feedback having taken these drugs.

Whilst you await some feedback, these links may provide some useful information:

Here’s a link to a fairly recent discussion:

I hope you receive some positive feedback from members.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Matt1979
    Matt1979 Member Posts: 4
    Options

Hi,

I was finally diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in about September last year, I was started on hydroxychloroquine in October. I, like you was very worried about the possible side effects of this drug but am pleased to say that it it is working well and the pain is now minimal and most of the affected joins are now much better.

i hope things improve for you soon,

Matt