Combination Arthritis

Options

I’ve had osteoarthritis since I was 17-55 years ago, I’m 62 now. Since then but over 35 years ago I’ve also been diagnosed with Rheumatoid & Psoriatic Arthritis and I have spondylitis in my neck and lumbar spine. I have 2 full metal joints and had over 25 steroid injections with under 5 working. I’m on maximum medications, Morphine, duloxatine,naproxen, hydroxychloriquine and Diclofenac diethylammonium . I have Sjögren’s syndrome and IBD. Last year I was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia , this year I’m to have 3 fused bones in both hands removed and replaced with tendon taken from my forearm to regain some dexterity and give relieve hand pain that stops me gripping.

Anyone else relate to this. My GP says none else in their group of 6 surgeries with 30,000 patients, feeling a but lonely 😞

Comments

• MrDJ
    MrDJ Member Posts: 292
    Options

I feel your pain. welcome to the smallest club in the world.

I was told back in the late 80's by my consultant that i was one of only 5 known in the world with every form of arthritis. He joked that they would pickle me whole as i had very rare symptoms. To add to your list, ankylosing spodilitus and blind in one eye with eyeritis and uvitus.

Anti TNF Infliximab infusion was my turning point. I was told in 1985 at the age of 21 to not plan ahead as i would be in a wheelchair within 6 months. it took 9 months but i couldnt walk since then without crutches.

2001 i started anti tnf and methotrexate and i walked out of the infusion unaided. ok the damage was already done but ive continued to work for the nhs and drive. It was only 2 months ago i had a bleed and after colonoscopy, ct and endoscopy they found gut rot and put it down to the anti inflamatory id been on since 1985. i stopped that immediately but am still waiting for a rhumy doc to get back to me. dehydrocodein and morphine started again and managing so far. You beat me by a mile on steroid injections.

Some great people on here who can give more advice than me but all i can say is keep going and good luck with the next set of ops.

• rte
    rte Member Posts: 9
    Options

mr DJ

Great to hear your story, I’ve had 5 colonoscopies, several benign polyps removed and now gave diverticular disease disease with leakage leading to my appendix rotting. Fortunately no bag yet.
    im dirty but cant tell difference between spondylitis and ankilysing spondylitis , every doc uses the other term!

Suffice to say we’re both in **** pain, I’m on pip but dreading what the government have announced. I wonder if they will fund early life termination if we wanted it. I don’t know about you but my medical needs change every day and prescriptiombs can’t keep up!