Former 50 Something marathon Runner With OA in Feet - Still Running 5k's

Jimberoonie
Jimberoonie Member Posts: 7
edited 4. Dec 2020, 14:39 in Let's Move

Hey folks

newbie here. I was diagnosed 18 months ago with OA in my TMT joints on both feet (bummer eh!). Got into Marathoning in my 40s and I guess might have overdone it (13 in total by 2018).

Doesn't seem to be too much about arthritis in the feet. Mostly medical documents rather than perspectives from other active people.

I guess I'm looking for hope that 1 to 2 x 5k trail runs a week is kinda OK and the damage (if any might not be that bad).

Is it worth the downsides?

Discuss 😥

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755

Hi @Jimberoonie welcome to the Online Community, great to have you here.

I'm impressed you still running 5k trail runs each week with osteoarthritis in your feet. You do need to be aware that osteoarthritis doesn’t just affect the cartilage, but can also cause damage to the bones, ligaments, tendons and lining of affected joints.

We have a great page of information on our web site regarding osteoarthritis of the foot and ankle, including management of the condition, how it will affect you and also some more gentle sorts of exercises that can help.

Do join in across the Community, ask questions and give support. It's a great place for a chat or just to call in to let people know how you are getting on.

All best wishes

Brynmor

• Thanks so much for commenting.. Will read up.

Am I taking too much fo a risk? Wearing super cushioned shoes (Hoka Speed Goat) and everything feels good. Running on roads does leave me with the aches however so soft trails seem (at the moment) to make sense.

• Oh - I do also wear professional orthotics.

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    edited 19. Nov 2020, 23:19

Hi.

The best person to give such advice would be your doctor / rheumatologist, or if you have been referred to a podiatrist.

The risk is yours, based on having a good understanding of the facts and what might be the outcomes, both good or bad. None of us here are medically qualified, so won't be able to advise you in that respect, although you may get another runner who is here to pass on their own personal experience.

🙂

Edit - in fact, do return to let us know what you decide and the advice you have found so that others can also know more about this!

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Wow! I would also like to know what a professional advises you @Jimberoonie

Most of us have slowed down to walking since our arthritis diagnoses so very interesting to read.

A couple of friends of mine who are a good bit older changed to cycling when their feet (in one case hip I think) prevented them from running. They still got the 'high' and health benefits without the trauma on their bones.

• Hey Frogmorton!

I know it's an unusual situation. I was a big runner at school but did not enjoy it and found it again when iw as 40 and went for it - qualifying for Boston. Then got plantar fasciitis, then dropped metatarsal and then Osteoarthritis killed it for me... I guess the signs were there. But that was 30 miles+ per week for 8 years.

So I cycle a lot and walk and elliptical but nothing hives me a buzz like running so I want to do it sensibly and listen to my body.

• By the way - what a lovely group :)

• Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,458

I have had oa since I was young and stopped running when I was 30, it was ridiculous to keep spraying my knees with analgesics just for a run. It was like banging your head against the brick wall, it nice when you stop! I was 42 when I had my first foot op and now all my toe joints are affected.

Yes, I believe it does add to later life issues. I doubt whether it’s the same for everyone. Your choice!

it’s a grin, honest!

• NH1
    NH1 Member Posts: 4

Hi

Just seen this post.

How are you getting on ?

I’ve been struggling with hip pain and been told it’s arthritis.

I plan to go out with a bang and have run 3 26-30 mile runs and a 46 mile run in the past 3 months.

I have convinced myself I have one more long one in me and hope to do a 50 mile event in 2 weeks time.

After that it would be good to keep running shorter distances but a bit worried I might be doing more damage.

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 734

Wow @NH1 Good luck with your 50 miler ! I am in awe.

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• Hey dudes - so interesting update. Was planning to do a half marathon coastal trail run but broke my big toe trying to open a door that wasn't quite ready to open. So properly off running for at east 6 weeks but things were good with mileage sticking at 10k-15k per week max with one 10k per month...all trail/ forest runs.

If I can continue at this level without things getting any worse I will be a happy camper.

Until then it's rest and swimming.

Stay safe

James

• Coddfish
    Coddfish Member Posts: 85

Hi @Jimberoonie. Hope you are literally back on your feet soon.

I am also a runner, and have just had one of my hips replaced. My consultant was relatively positive about me being able to run again, and has used an uncemented implant designed for active people, so I am hopeful. But I do come across a lot of negativity from most health professionals. I think someone who doesn’t run doesn’t see why anyone would take the risk, seeing other forms of exercise as safer and good enough. Whereas those of us who run cannot imagine life without it, and see tremendous upside in the physical and mental benefits. Worth mentioning my consultant is also a runner

definiteiy a case of listening to your body. I know I will be running again once I am better healed.