Val's Cafe

Options

Comments

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath good poem (((())) did you get your box on Friday love to Anita ((())) and your dad (((()))

Barbara I hope things are not too bad for you ((())) love to Mr B (((())) and your brother ((()))

Cat lady l hope all his well with you (((())))

Toni ((())) sorry about your sp....r we have not had any I've been to the dentist this morning now I'm waiting for the carers love to Charley ((())) and her friend ((())) Lucy ((())) Tia ((())) Paul (((()))

love to Bill ((())) Carol ((())) Mig ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    edited 14. Jul 2020, 12:38
    Options

Daily Poem (Just found out my Aunty Joyce has gone into care because she has dementia, so I thought I'd post this).

Stranger In The Mirror

by Kathleen

Who is she; that stranger in the mirror?

I watch her while she combs her hair

and as she does, she seems to stare;

so I pretend I just don't care -

I wish she'd go away!

We both sit here and sip our tea;

I'm sure she knows that I can see

she always dresses just like me -

when will she go away?

Although it seems she's feeling fine,

her hands are shaking just like mine.

Perhaps she's taken too much wine -

why won't she go away?

I often wish that she was dead

but still she sits and nods her head;

so I'll get up and go to bed -

that made her go away!

Toni, I'm enjoying my super posh porridge, thank you. Anita has sent me a message. She did have her first session yesterday, and will have one every day this week. Esme is loving being back at school, even for one day. Holly popped to the shops for us bless her.

Chris(catlady1) I'll look out for you on FaceBook and adding you to our group.

Sending love and hugs to Barbara, Joan, Sue, Carol mig and any one else I've missed. Oh hello Joan, I've just noticed you there. 😍

Paella

60-70 minutes

Takes less time if the rice pilaf is pre-cooked

Serves: 4

A wonderful alternative to traditional paella, full of flavour. The taste of the sea is achieved not with fish but with arame, a mild tasting sea vegetable.This recipe is made in two stages - so don't be put off by the length of the recipe. Basically, you make the simple Saffron Rice Pilaf. While that's simmering you prepare the paella ingredients. Or you can cook the pilaf rice in advance. Whichever method you use, the secret is to get all the ingredients and equipment out first - then go for it!

Low-fat/diabetic-friendly

• Replace oil with oil spray.
    • Replace bought mayo with our reduced-fat quick tofu mayo instead of a bought version. For an even lower-fat alternative, use plain soya yoghurt, preferably Sojade brand, and mix with crushed garlic.

Freezable

The Saffron Pilaf Rice freezes well, as does the complete dish - the tofu may become a little bit more chewy. 

Photograph courtesy of  http://flavourphotos.com/ 

Ingredients: 

Pilaf:

• 1 medium onion, finely chopped
    • 2 cloves garlic, minced
    • 2 tsp olive oil
    • 1½ tsp ground cumin
    • 1 tsp fennel seed
    • ¼ tsp black pepper
    • ½-1 tsp salt
    • 450g/1lb/2 cups brown basmati rice OR long grain brown rice 
    • ½ tsp saffron steeped in 4 tbsp warm water
    • 840ml/30fl oz vegetable stock

Paella:

• 25g/1oz dried arame (sea vegetable available from health stores), soaked in warm water for 10 minutes
    • 2 medium onions, cut into 1cm/half inch pieces
    • 4 cloves garlic, crushed
    • 2 red peppers, seeded, white pith removed and cut into 1cm/half inch pieces
    • 3 tbsp olive oil
    • ½ tsp dried oregano
    • ¾ tsp dried whole chilli, crushed - or use ½ tsp chilli powder
    • ½ tsp grated orange zest (about one large orange’s worth) - use a grater on small holes or a zester
    • ¾ tsp cumin seeds
    • 1 tin chopped tomatoes including juice
    • 180g/6oz smoked tofu, cut into 1cm/half inch cubes - Taifun works well (health food shops or Waitrose). Or use a GF smoked tofu, cubed, fried up and drizzled with GF tamari soya sauce
    • 2 courgettes, halved lengthways and cut into 1cm/half inch slices
    • 2 tsp capers, drained
    • ¼ cup pitted black olives, chopped
    • 225g/8oz mushrooms, sliced if big, halved if small
    • 4 cups Saffron Basmati Pilaf recipe (see above)
    • 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (any variety)
    • 1 tsp salt

To serve:

• Greens for 6, finely chopped - eg curly kale; green cabbage; purple sprouting; broccoli
    • Aioli: mix 5 tbsp vegan mayo (bought or home-made) with 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed

Method: 

1. Start with the Saffron Pilaf. (If you’ve made it in advance, go to number 9!)

2. In a medium-sized heavy saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic in oil over a medium heat until just softened.

3. Add the cumin, fennel seed, pepper and salt.

4. Sauté for 1 minute.

5. Add the rice and stir constantly for about 2 minutes or until the rice smells fragrant.

6. Add the saffron and water, bring rice to the boil and cover.

7. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.

8. Remove from heat and let sit for 10 minutes.

9. Meanwhile, prepare all vegetables and other ingredients.

10. Soak the arame in cold water.

11. Sauté the onions, garlic and peppers in the olive oil in a large heavy pan, until the onions have softened – about 5 minutes.

12. Add the oregano, chilli flakes, orange zest and cumin seeds.

13. Stir and sauté for 1 minute.

Drain and rinse the arame when it is ready, then set aside.

14. Add the tomatoes, smoked tofu, courgettes, arame, capers and black olives.

15. Put on greens to steam.

16. Reduce heat under paella to medium low and simmer for 5 minutes.

17. Add the mushrooms and sauté another minute or 2.

18. Stir in the pilaf, parsley and salt to taste.

19. Heat through.

20. Adjust seasoning if necessary.

21. Drain greens.

22. Mix vegan mayo and garlic together to make aioli.

To serve: spoon paella in middle of large plate, arrange greens round edges and put a dab of aioli in the middle.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options

Evening all

Toni yes the girls are very tanned they have a garden now where they live so they have been playing a lot in the garden. Also Gd has been taking them for walks since they have been able to go out, and since Graycie has been back at nursery they have been daily trips across a filed that is behind their house that leads to the school. They have grown up so fast little Rubie is 2 in just under a month, where has time gone. 

Aidan would have loved the a-la-patio for sure  it’s so nice to think and talk about our Aidan without feeling so sad now. 

Barbara yes the meal was lovely it was nice to be able to go out for a meal it wasn’t champagne it was white wine we were drinking. Yes Mr t is back on washing up duties the thumb is ok now. He has a slight scar there but that will fade. So you think the girls are sweet, not always Graycie and Rubie are cheeky little  madams. In a funny way not in a rude way. 

Kath that is a fantastic poem controlling anger before it controls you. Thanks for your comments about the photos I will have to  find out some more perhaps some older ones.

Joan  No mr t is not back playing  yet at the church as a lot of our members are over 70 we 

Are waiting until September to reopen the church, at the moment one of the other leaders is meeting any one who wants too go for informal meetings on the common at the top of the road where the church is to try to keep everyone together. 

Chris thank for your comments on the photos I do like my photos I am always putting them on here I will find a special one for you of my other  three great grandchildren.  The three in my last post are Lillie, 8yrs Graycie 3yrs and Rubie who is 2 next month . They are my Eldest GDS 3

Here are the other 3 who are my GS 3

They are

Faye 4yrs, Ashley who is just Turned 3 and Kian who is 1next month.

Not been Sunny here today but it has still been very warm. Have had quite a relaxing day today been in most of the day. But I have done a lot over the past couple of days so was feeling a bit weary and a bit more pain so decided that today I would take it easy. We did have our lunch in the garden.

love and sparkles to you all❤️❤️❤️🌈🌈🌈

Stay positive always👍xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Evening all will keep this short...
    Toni its so nice to see different places..even from the van....spider...no your poor neck..could Paul not reach it..
    I am glad to hear P is getting on with things ..and wanting to get on with the treatment bless her...xxx
    Joan all is fine here..hope you are all ok..that's all we can ask for..xx
    Carol more lovely photos if the children ..they are so lovely..glad all is well with you and Mr T..you will be able to enjoy your patio this weekend..xx
    Chris..dont you worry about our names its good to hear what you get up to..my memory is zilch..i have writing pads everywhere to write things down on...not good is it..but like you say it keep us active...hahaha..xx
    Kath i love a goid stir-fry.. thankyou..just wish mr B did..and thankyou for thr very interesting poem's..and love to Anita..xxignore my typos hahaha
    Right im off to hed
    Love to all
    Xxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,484
    Options

Morning everyone 🙂

Joan my dentist cancelled my check-up on Monday. Well done getting in to see yours. I hope all as well?

Kath I love that poem. It's about aldy with dementia? Or is it me? I see my Mum in the mirror bless her. It's a really good one whatever still upbeat.

We thought it was this week didn't we? So presumably Anita is coping ok with her radio . It's not a walk in the park, but easier than chemo for definite.

I'm sure little Esmé will be much happier in school. Most children will be bless her🙂

Thank you for the paella I used to love that so a vegan one will go down very well I'm sure. Lots of ingredients, but I'd expect that.

Carol I hope you are feeling less pained and weary today ((())) sometimes we do overdo it don't we? you are still eating a-la-patio I see😉 I find it easier to talk about Aidan now too....still hurts, but not that stab. We all understand ((()))

The girls are indeed growing up too fast, but it's wonderful to see them growing isn't it? Lovely they can get out in the field. Their parents are doing a good job with them.

LOVE the photo! here are the boys with Faye A lot of work, but I envy them those times when they are at that age. I know they keep you on your toes, but they are great aren't they? sigh....

Our Chruch will not be open before September either sadly safety must come first. Means we can keep going with the Church Porch (selling stuff) to raise money for Church with there being no collections of course.

Barbara no Paul was away working on site so i was alone with hairy Jeremy 😮 I think it won't be long before we see more of them.....Aidan would have screached!

No sign yesterday so my neck had a reprieve still not perfect, but better.

Writing lists is a good idea and one I use now too especially for this online shopping. If you forget something you are in trouble in my case for about 10 days! I have an oder for Thursday....tomorrow I think so my lovely neighbours are writing their list must check with P if she eneeds anything.

Now what shall we have to eat....?🤔

Choose what colour toast you prefer I know Barbara likes hers a bit singed...I like mine a bit anaemic!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath good poem . I hope it's not to sore for Anita ((())) it's some thing that has to be done as you know ((()))

love to your dad ((()))

Carol (((())) I don't understand how anyone could hurt a child your grandchildren are lovely ((())) love to Mr T (((()))

Barbara that's good all is well with you (((())) and your brother ((())) and is girlfriend ((())) love to Mr B ((()))

Toni ((())) Good no s...s around love to Paul ((())) Charley ((())) and her girlfriend ((((()))) Lucy ((())) Tia ((())

Yes we won't forget our Aidan (((())) or Bill (((()))

love to Mig((())) Chris (((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • CatLady1
    CatLady1 Member Posts: 64
    Options

Gosh it's still morning. How have I managed to have time again free before lunch.

Toni I'll have a slice or three of anaemic toast. I do like my toast but I have to be careful to watch how much white bread I eat. Saying that I really have to limit the amount of brown bread I consume as well. My weight just rises if I eat too much also I have to be carefully watch my sugar levels.

Carol Your GGChildren are all lovely. The last picture was really good. When I visit my daughter's my two GGC will be there. It will be the younger one's birthday around that time, she will be one and her older sister is 31/2. Haven't seen either of them or my grandchildren since between Christmas and New Year. I'm very lucky that I have had videos and photos of them quite regularly since then. Hopefully I will have a photo or two to put on here.

Joan Have you managed to go out again with Sue to have a meal. You are so much more confident about going out than me. So far as I go is around the outside of our scheme. Hardly ever see anyone when I walk round. But I don't mind as I am sort of a loner, I enjoy my own company.

Guess I must go, have had my box of food delivered. It will end at the end of this month so not sure if its next week or the following one which will be my last. There are several things in it I don't use, so these I bag up and leave in the outside porch tomorrow morning. It is picked up and goes towards the village's boxes for the people who don't have very much at all.

Take care and stay safe all of you. Gentle hugs ((())) to you all.

Chris.

• Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem (one of my efforts)

Recipe of Life

by Kathleen

When I was just a blushing bride

My Mother took me to one side.

"The World is full of pain and strife,

So here's my recipe of life.

Take a cup of boundless health,

Sprinkle with a little wealth,

Stir in a large spoonful of joy

And laughter of both girl and boy.

Mix with blessings from above,

Serve with a generous slice of love.

These words I've heeded every day

And Daughter dear as you go your way,

In your heart remember them too,

So peace and harmony follow you."

Chris, we always used to ear whole meal bread, but we've gone of it now and have started eating lovely soft white bread. I also enjoy wraps. Actually, I love food. I eat nothing else. 🍦.

Joan, Anita's partner Val goes with her and drives her home again. I think she has been given some moisturising cream to rub on every day. I didn' have radio, because of m lung disease. I didn' want to increase my risk of lung fibrosis.

Toni, thank you for the egg on toast. You are lucky you see you mum in the mirror, I see my daddy. No wonder I'm a cantankerous old biddy. 🙄

Barbara, Anita really appreciates the fact that all my friends ask about her. I hope your brother is doing wel.

Carol, another lovely photo of your little ones.

Smoky Kedgeree

Kedgeree is probably one of the original fusion foods! Its origins are a traditional dish called 'kitcheree' - a mellow, simple dish of lentils and rice. Enter the British Raj and their initial suspicion of spicy foods... Kitcheree became kedgeree, a vehicle for Brits in India to pile on butter, smoked fish and the like. 

The Vegan Recipe Club decided to veganise this classic dish - and this is the result. Enjoy!

The recipe can be made from scratch - or to save time, use pre-cooked rice and tinned lentils. We offer both options. 

Nori sheets or sprinkles are available in larger supermarket branches while nori and arame are sold in health food shops, Oriental grocers or online. They are different types and flavours of sea vegetables and very nutritious - and not slimy! Arami looks like black straw until it is hydrated. 

Ingredients: 

Rice

400g/1¾ cups raw long grain brown rice, preferably brown Basmati cooked in 1 heaped tsp vegan bouillon or 1 vegan stock cube

OR 750g-800g cooked brown rice (about 3 cups of home-cooked rice or 3 sachets of microwave rice) with a little vegan stock mixed in

Lentils

50g/¼ cup dried whole lentils, green or brown

OR 110g/1 cups cooked whole lentils - green or brown (about half a tin of drained lentils)

Rest of the ingredients

Large handful of arame, soaked in cold water while you cook 

1 tbsp oil (preferably not olive)

1 large onion, peeled and chopped quite small

3 large cloves garlic, peeled and crushed or chopped fine

1 red or orange pepper, de-seeded and chopped roughly

1 tsp smoked paprika + 1 tsp regular sweet paprika

¼ tsp chilli powder

1-2 tsp chilli powder, according to taste

1 packet smoked tofu, chopped into bite-sized pieces - Taifun is the firmest and needs no pre-cooking but there are other brands

1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Half a tin of coconut milk

2 tbsp nori flakes

2 tsp vegan bouillon or 1 vegan stock cube

Large handful fresh parsley, finely chopped

Lemon wedges

Optional: hot pepper sauce or other chilli sauce on the side for those who like their food spicy

Method: 

1. If cooking rice from scratch, put it on now. Cover with 600ml cold water and the stock cube/powder and cook for 20-30 minutes or until tender. Put the lentils and some water in a small pan also if cooking from scratch and cook for about 20 minutes or more.

2. Soak the arame in cold water and set aside.

3. Chop the vegetables and measure out the spices.

4. In a large pan or wok, heat the oil. Fry the onions and garlic for about 5 minutes, stirring regularly.

5. Add the peppers, chilli, curry powder and two types of paprika. Stir in and let it all cook for about 5 minutes, stirring continuously.

6. Rinse and drain the arame - use a sieve.

7. Add the smoked tofu and black pepper to the onion mixtuer, then add the coconut milk, nori, arame and 2 tsp bouillon or 1 stock cube, crumbled in. Add the cooked rice and lentils now plus the parsley. If using cold rice and lentils, stir in well and cook until everything is well mixed in and very hot. Add a drizzle of hot water if the mixture is too dry or starts to stick. 

8. Serve with more parsley on the top of each plate and a wedge of lemon per person to squeeze on the kedgeree. 

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    Options
    Evening all..a cold wet day today for us..i really miss pottering in my garden..but the sun will be back soon
    Kath that poem is lovely and it really hit home..i am glad to hear that Anita us pleased we all think about her..hope all goes well....
    And I haven't had Kedgeree for many years...thankyou..xx
    Joan you are right we will never forget our Aidan..and i am sure he knows this...
    Hope you had better weather than we did and got out and about on your scooters..xx
    Toni right i am with you Paul wasnt there..what am I like I did read it but when I get to posting most of it goes..hahaha
    Thankyou for the egg and toast..nothing nicer..
    We were tempted to go into our cafe today but chickened out at the last min....
    I hope P is doing ok pain wise..hopefully thr treatment will help...xx
    Chris it sounds so nice were you live..and its always good to share..some people will be so gad of it..hope you can manged a good potter around the block tomorrow.. weather permitting..xx
    Right will leave you for now
    Love to all
    Xxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Hi Joan - no s*****s again last night and Paul home too so all is well.🙂 Who sorts them out at your house then?

Chris - I haven't braved eating oiut nor entered a shop either and won't be queuing up I am cautious like you. Lockdown made it seem so real I haven't let go yet.

Glad you share your unwanted box stuff out to those who need it in the village. They were such a lovely idea I remember feeling quite tearful when they said they were going to deliver them to people.

I have my Tesco order today so looking forward to that. I have also ordered for my lovely neighbours and rang P to see whether she needed anything, but she also has a delivery today!

I bet you can't wait to see your GGC how wonderful to have them! I had a surprise yesterday my brother came over with my niece and G Niece who will be 2 after Christmas. We sat outside and she ran around like a mad thing. The loved our Mowbot Bessie!

Kath what a fabulous poem you wrote! Bang on it is! I bet it was one which just flew out of your brain? The picture is perfect too goes just right with it👍️

Is Val allowed in the hospital with Anita? No-one is allowed in at all here. When my Niece in Law was in for those 3 weeks my nephew had to wait outside for someone to collect clean nightwear for her. Same with P only she can go inside.

Good that they have some cream to help Anita with any tenderness ((()))

Ah yes my Charley sees her dad in the mirror and Lucy sees her Mum (me!) Tia is a proper mixture of her parents.

Thank you for the kedgeree recipe I love the stuff. Do rather eat too much of it though. That's another one i must try.

Barbara It has been grotty out there hasn't it? Really quite chilly and drizzly on and off too🙄 I miss my garden as well and it needs me the weeds are coming back!

Yes Paul was on site so it was just me and Sleek with hairy Jeremy! I asked Kari why she (sleek) won't catch the s****s for me....she said they don't like the taste🤢

I have yet to brave a café too, but don't worry we'll get there in time. Just do what you feel comfortable with that's what I think.

Glad you enjoyed the eggs on toast what shall I do today?🤔

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Chris ((()))sue likes going out every day and we take the dogs they love the walks.

Kath another good poem ((())) love to Anita ((())) and Val (((())) and your dad ((()))

Barbara (((())) I hope your eyes are not too pain full. love to your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni ((())) we don't see s.... pepper does he barks at them when I was down the shops the other day I saw a vegan cake shop a man walking past said you don't want any of that it's not real cream. Love to Charley ((())) and her girlfriend ((())) Lucy ((()) Tia (((())) and Paul (((()))

love to Bill ((())) Mig (((()))Carol. ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem (you've seen it before, but I thought Toni would like to reflect on the good things about Spids).

Battling Cobwebs

Each morning while out in my garden,

the cobwebs are draped all around.

They stretch across fences and bushes,

all the way down to the ground.

Their invisible threads do annoy me,

as they brush up against my face!

I end up covered all over my head

and they cling to me just like lace.

It really is quite a battle,

avoiding those traps spiders lay,

I won't be one of their victims.

I have to plan every day.

So every morning with broom aloft,

Sweeping the webs right and left,

spiders fly all ways then scurry off,

Looking quite cross and bereft.

But as I look out of my window

I know they'll be back again,

And all I can do until morning,

Is hope that we have heavy rain!!

Toni, toast and marmalade, lovely. I will ask Mike for a poached egg to follow. I hope my tale of cookery woe amused him. Our Tesco delivery day is now Thursday, but I'm hoping to one day to order from Parsley Box. You don't need to refrigerate or freeze, they keep for six months in a cupboard. Just microwave or for some, add boiling water, and they do some beautiful recipe. Val has to sit out in the car and wait. I think they probably go to the pub after.

Barbara, I'm pleased you enjoyed the Kedgeree, I've never actually tried it, but I love smoked Haddock. Usually with a huge blob of butter sliding off it. I don't know whether you've noticed, I downloaded some articles fromVA and put them in the files folder for the Creakies to read.

Joan, I think Pepper is very wise just to bark at spids. Some are really huge and scary. I can understand why some people don't like them.

Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie with Sweet Potato Mash

SERVES: 4

Ingredients:

1 tbsp olive oil

1 large onion, halved and sliced

2 large carrots (500g/1lb 2 oz in total), cut into sugar cube size pieces

1 tbsp thyme, chopped

400g (14oz) can of chopped tomatoes

1 vegetable stock cube

410g (14.4oz) can of green lentils

950g (33.5oz) of sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks

20g margarine

80g (3oz) of low fat mature cheddar, grated

Recipe Summary

In a cold winter’s night there is no reason not to love a shepherd’s pie. The recipe is meat free so our vegetarian members can follow. This version is stuffed with deliciously seasoned lentils and veggies, and topped with a gorgeous, vitamin-packed sweet potato mash. In my opinion it’s even more delicious as the original! If you live alone, I would suggest to cook in bulk and freeze the rest for later use.

Method:

Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, then fry the sliced onion until golden. Add the carrots and sprinkling the chopped thyme. Pour in 150ml of water and the tomatoes, then sprinkle in the stock cubes and simmer for 10 minutes. Tip in the can of lentils, including the juice. Cover and simmer for another 10 minutes until the carrots still have a bit of bite and the lentils are pulpy.

Meanwhile, boil the sweet potatoes for 15 minutes until tender. Drain well then mash with margarine and season to taste. Pile the lentil mixture into a pie dish, spoon the mash on top and sprinkle over the cheese and remaining thyme.

Heat oven to gas mark 5 (190ºC, electric or 170ºC, fan assisted). Cook for 20 mins until golden and hot all the way through.

• CatLady1
    Options

Another few minutes before I decide which of my partly finished projects I do this afternoon. I went for my walk early this morning as I had to put out the two bags for the food bank person to pickup.

So you too like the meals Parsley Box too Kath. I find they're very tasty, easy to store and quick to microwave. I have one or two of them a week. So much easier for me as my freezer isn't big enough to store the frozen meals. Some times I find just preparing a meal is beyond me. I used to feel I was being lazy not cooking a meal. Now when I do cook I often use my slow cooker.

I feel for you Toni. I am not a fan of s.....s or daddy long legs. I dread the time when they start coming in again. I hate having to try and get them out of my flat, but have to do it as I'm on my own.

I hope you all are having a low pain day and are enjoying whatever you feel like doing. Hope the weather is nicer for you, than it is here. It's dull cold and windy here.

Gentle hugs Toni ((( ))). Kath ((())) Carol ((())). Barbara ((())). Joan ((())) and anyone else who I've missed

• barbara12
    edited 16. Jul 2020, 13:19
    Options
    Afternoon all..on my own today for a couple of hours..so peace and quiet...hahaha
    Chris I must try the parsley box meals..i am the sane with cooking I used to live it but these days its hard work.. like you i am so grateful for my slow cooker..hope you get at least one project finished.. xx
    Toni i can just see the luttke one chashing the mow bot...hahaha..it disent take much..no need for lots if toys...ooh i an sounding like my mother...hahaha
    I have seen the cats next doir chasing spiders..but they soon drop them..maybe they do give off a nasty taste..
    Oh nearly forgot thankyou for the marmalade and toast...i use to make marmalade...:) xx
    Kath i love the piem and the pic..webs fascinate me especially in winter..beautiful things..outside that is..
    And thankyou for the cottage pie recipe.. i love sweet potatoe but Mr B dosent..xx
    Joan thankyou my eyes are not painful just wavy line ..and strangley faces disappear..one is not to bad thank god....how are you all doing..and has that boiler been behaving xx
    Just has a text iff our gd in London..her fiancé'has been ti the breast clinic..and had an ultrasound..it a saboceouse cyst sorry forgot the spelling
    Love to everyone xxxcxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Hi Everyone!

Joan Go Peppa barking at the s*****s! Scary things. I think Kath and Carol need to get Clarence and Florence (our tame s*****s) over to mine ASAP ! I have had some lovely vegan cake Who cares if it's not 'real' cream if it tastes nice!!

Kath lovely poem! I'm pretty good at dodging them outside even their webs! They don't scare me in the garden either for some reason. Love the pic too they really are gorgeous.

Glad you enjoyed the toast and marmalade. There's a lady in the village who makes it every year. I have about 10 jars which lasts me maybe 6 months!

I'm sure @Mike1 will make you and egg in his posh new fail-safe machine 😉

That Shepherd's pie looks lovely really tasty. Yesterday i would have had some I was chilly all day, but this morning the SUN is out!!! WAHAY!!!!

((())) for you and Anita Val too xxx

Hi Chris sorry you have to cope with our 8 legged friends on your own 😯 I have a s****r catcher thingy but personally can't even get that close.....shudder!

Parsley box looks great amazing! Nothing vegan though and all the veggie even has milk in it. Hopefully that will improve over time. You are so right sometimes cooking is just too much. That's why I freeze what I cook. I made that recipe Kath posted - jambalaya and Kari had some and I froze the rest ☺️

I wonder what projects you finished yesterday in the end...?

Barbara your poor eyes 😔 I hope today is a better day. Do they get worse as the day goes on l wonder?

Little ones really don't need toys do they? the fun we had making dens with Charley and Lucy out of boxes.....(I hadn't got Tia then of course). I so miss those days. If I could I would have Daphne over every day!

Kari reckons cats don't like our 8-legged friends because they taste nasty!

Will you be seeing Niamh this weekend?

EVERYONE I heard from Bill yesterday he is doing ok. Struggling a bit financially with the ground rent (I think that's what it is) with being on his own now might need to downsize to a one-bed but sends his love to us all ❤️

Now what shall we eat today?

a bit of everything including flowers!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((()))how is Anita feeling ((())) love to Val ((())) and Chris ((())) and your dad ((())) it is warm here.

Chris good luck with your products ((()))

Barbara ((())) I'm sorry your eyes are that bad sue just said Blackpool pier is on fire. Love to Mr B (((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni ((())) I don't like when you peg washing out s...webs are there and your fingers find them. love to Charley (((())) and her girlfriend ((())) Lucy ((())) Tia ((()))and Paul (((())) and Pom (((()))

. love to Bill sorry about the rent (((())). Mig (((())) Carol (((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    Options
    Afternoon all..Niamh is on her way and we have the pool out..but the weather is up and down but at least its warm
    Toni poor Bill I really do feel for him..i can imagine its a struggle bless..i hope he can get sorted with a one bedroom..then we could move in that and keep him company..
    How is P doing..i will be thinking if her next week when she has chemo...
    Thankyou for a liveky breakfast tray..i had it in bed....
    My eyes are like this most if the time its hard to see out one..and the other us following ..dont no what I would do if they go all together.. never mind we paid on...xx
    Joan gosh Blackpool pier on fire ...wonder which one it is....thankyou for all your kind thought fir everyone..i hope all is OK with you Sue and the doggies..xx
    Hi to Kath Chris and anyone else that pops in
    Love to all
    Xxxxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Morning Joan - gosh yes brushing against a cobweb is creepy and makes you jump doesn't it?😮 Charley came by yesterday borrowed some tarpaulin she had hired a van to start clearing out at home. I'm sure Bill will sort something out I just hope he can get a one bed still near his friend Mandy.

Hi Barbara I am sorry I had assumed your poor eyes got worse with the day wearing on can they do anything to help you?

I bet Niamh loved the pool whatever the weather it was certainly warm enough yesterday here. She will have cheered you all up I'm sure.

P sees the Oncologist on Monday then i suppose they'll give her a date for chemo. I feel sick at the thought of what she has to go through bless her heart 😕

Saw my lovely neighbour yesterday he sorted me out some change - he's like the banker here for a few of us because he banks the Church money. What i raised through the Church lottery and the Porch takings. It was cake Friday yesterday so I got us all some cake for later:

I'm glad you enjoyed your breakfast in bed. I will get the croissants out in a sec..... I will go for an early walk before Paul and I go to a place which sells motorhomes for a peep! Beaky we are!

Missed Kath yesterday It wasn't her day 'off' the interweb I don't think🤔 I shall have to check in of Facebook if she doesn't reappear. Kath they have been asking about you on BLF and worried about you. Missing your poems.

Also Carol, but she often gets a bit busy so not worried. Hope all the family are well.

Love to Chris wonder what project you got finished in the end?

Right croissants to Aidan and Bill (and us!)

That took some squealing....lansoprazole first!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Barbara it was the central pier. Sorry about your eyes (((()))) do you have a problem watching TV love to Mr B ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend (((()))) how are your granddaughters (((())))

Toni ((())) it's a shame Bill has to move but he can take Aidan's memories with him (((())) love to Charley (((())) and her girlfriend (((()))) Paul (((()))) Lucy (((()))Tia (((()))) Prom (((())))

love to Bill (((())) Kath (((())) Carol Chris (((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • CatLady1
    Options

Morning everyone

Where has our lovely weather of yesterday gone. It's dull, overcast and windy here. I went for my walk early cos it looked like rain. When I checked the weather for this area we're not due any rain till tomorrow. Oh well it's done now.

It took me two days to finish just one project, it was worth it as I'm really chuffed with it.

Loved that lovely selection of cakes Toni. I'll own up. I couldn't resist two or three. They were great with my coffee.

Yesterday I went on a cobweb hunt cos when I bent down to pick up something I'd dropped in the bedroom I came up with a part of a cobweb. Not nice. That's what happens when your cleaner is off sick. She is great at finding them.

Gentle hugs to Toni ((())) Kath ((())) Joan ((())) Barbara ((())) Carol ((())) and everyone else. Have a good low pain Saturday and enjoy whatever you are going to do.xx

Chris.

• Kitty
    Options

Daily Poems (one of my old ones, don't write any more).

A Midnight Kiss

Through the garden in the moonlight 

along the sweeping path we walked, 

down the stone slab steps we wandered 

where we sat for hours and talked 

on the seat beneath the Willow 

which dipped into the river low. 

As the warm air heavy scented, 

making all my senses glow 

you gave me a midnight kiss, 

a kiss that stole my heart away. 

A kiss that I shall always cherish, 

a kiss that made me want to stay.

Beneath the stars I still sit gazing 

at the iridescent moon, 

as the glistening water shimmers: 

will you be returning soon? 

As the swans down settle quietly 

in the rushes where they sleep 

and the fish still keep me wakeful, 

listening for their joyful leap 

I'm waiting for a midnight kiss, 

a kiss to steal your heart away. 

A kiss I hope you still remember 

a kiss I hope will make you stay.

I decided to have Friday off, but I feel really awful today/ Don't know why? Wasn't too bad first thing, it's after eating, then a nap. I feel drugged up and weird. I rang dad this morning. His Friday club is open again, so he can social distance with his friends. My neighbour, Rebecca 1, was supposed to bring her hedge trimmers round today but she hasn't. On the other side, Rebecca 2 is becoming huge. She is heavily pregnant. Holly has dyed her hair bright orange. Yes, you heard correctly - ORANGE - it quite suits her actally.

Cat Lady, we haven't yet tried the Parsley Box meals, we have nowhere to store them.

Toni, I do hope Bill finds a suitable but smaller home.

Well, it's time I found something vegan for us.

Luxury Festive Roasts

Probably the tastiest Christmas roast you will ever eat! Teeming with juicy nuts, pulses, porcini mushrooms and other surprises.

Ingredients: 

• 225g/8oz mixed nuts, chopped
    • 110g/4oz red lentils
    • l large carrot
    • 2 celery sticks
    • 1 large onion
    • ½ large courgette OR 1 small sweet potato 
    • 1 aubergine
    • 100g/3 1/2 oz mushrooms
    • 25g/1oz porcini mushrooms
    • 4 tbsp vegan margarine, eg Pure, Biona, Suma OR 4 tbsp mild coconut oil. 
    • 2 tbsp mild curry powder
    • 2 tbsp tomato ketchup or puree
    • 2 tbsp Vegan Worcestershire sauce OR soya sauce
    • 4 tbsp chopped parsley
    • 10g/2 tsp chopped dried apricots
    • 2 tbsp flax meal mixed with 6 tbsp warm water (this makes 2 flax 'eggs' to bind the roast)
    • 100ml/ scant ¼ pint water
    • Vegan pesto, eg Meridian, Mr Organic, Sacla Free From or Zest
    • 2 tbsp toasted pine nuts OR flaked almonds

ALL KITTED OUT 

Chopping board, sharp knife, jug, kettle, food processor, sieve to wash lentils, colander, small pan, wok or frying pan, spatula/fish slice, garlic crusher, cooking spoon, measuring spoons, scales, mini non-stick loaf tins OR ramekins, other small containers or large muffin cases, baking parchment/greaseproof paper, small bowl for flax 'egg' 

Method: 

1. Assemble all the ingredients and kit. 

2. Gently boil the lentils for around 20 mins in the small pan.

3. Meanwhile, soak the porcini mushrooms in a jug, just covered with boiled water

4. About halfway through the lentils' cooking time, pre-heat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5.

5. Meanwhile, cut the aubergine in half, then chop into small chunks, along with the courgette/sweet potato.

6. Chop the carrot, celery, onion and mushrooms roughly then blend or food process until they are quite finely chopped.

7. Melt the margarine/coconut oil in a wok and fry the vegetables for 5-10 minutes, stirring in the curry powder.(If using the sweet potato option, this may take a little longer).

8. Drain the porcini mushrooms and chop with scissors. Add them to a bowl along with the mixed nuts, cooked lentils, ketchup, Worcesteshire sauce, parsley, apricots, flax eggs and water. Mix well.

9. Add in the mixture from the wok and combine well together. This works best cooked in smaller, well-greased containers, as the roasts keeps their shape better and are less likely to fall apart. We used 4 small, oiled mini roast tins but smaller ones will work too, eg ramekins - or even muffin cases. If using 4 containers, place a strip of baking parchment in each one, with long enough tabs to let you lift out each roast. 

10. Distribute the mixture evenly between your containers then spread a layer of pesto over the top of each one. Spoon in the rests of the mixture and smooth over. Place in the oven and bake for about 20-30 minutes until just firm, covering the tops with a piece of greaseproof paper if they start to catch. 

11. Let the roasts cool for at least 15-20 minutes before turning out then, holding the sides of the baking parchment, gently pull out onto an oven-proof plate or serving tray. Sprinkle with pinenuts/flaked almonds to finish, slice if necessary then serve with Roses' Gravy or other gravy of your choice.

• barbara12
    Options
    Evening all..our little town closed the main st today to allow bars and cafe to put seating out and what does it do.
    .it rained ..it will be closed every weekend till autumn..so fungers crised for sun...
    Chris we had sun for all those weeks that we were in lock down..they do say we are un fir some hot weather soon.. maybe in-between would be nice...i am being picky now..
    We have spi###s living under our kitchen units..i keep hoping they will leave..we need to mop..xx
    Joan the tv is mot to bad yet..faces are quite hard sometimes.. i hope you are all ok..you can always tell us if things are not..you are always so caring and kind to us all xx.
    Toni all those cakes.. you spoil us..and croissants and orange juice is so nice to start the day off with...thankyou
    So is it all go for Charley and her gf..fingers crossed for them..
    And I will be thinking of P..she must be so worried now..but she has good friends and her family around her xx..
    There is no cure for these eyes..apparently it run in the genes..but there are worse things..xx
    Kath what a beautiful poem ..thankyou..i do hope you can have some better days.. it can be so waring..but you can talk to us lot...xx
    Thankyou for the festive roast...at this rate we will soon be there...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Making greater use of pavements is a good idea to increase usage space for cafes to fit more sociailly distanced people in BUT it makes navigating more difficult for those of us using walking aids/wheelchairs, not to mention the blind.

• frogmorton
    edited 19. Jul 2020, 06:03
    Options

Gosh that's true Mike.....they have probably thought of that. Not for people with mobility issues no - for pushchairs! 😉

Joan of course you are right Bill will take all the memories of Aidan with him in his heart. Love to you and Sue. Lucy had a shower with me on the phone last night because the lass she shares with in Scotland is dog-sitting for her parents!

Yes Barbara I think it's going well for Charley and her GF so far fingers crossed this has got further 🙂 Do you 'grow' the print on your lap top and phone so it's easier to see? Not good faces being a bit iffy now is it. I expect familiar people are ok and most people say hello so you know who it is?

P's appointment is 2pm tomorrow so she will have along wait all day almost to worry herself. She is a positive person though in general. Just wants to see him/her and get a plan in her mind. I felt better with Lucy when there was a plan. there are trials I had a look on Macmillan so you never know.

I am sorry you have 8 legged people under your kitchen units😮 Paul 'rehomed' Hairy Jeremy out of the window yesterday so all good here....for now!

Kath that is a lovely poem you know really lovely. Reminds me of my first love and probably first kiss really❤️ Who was it about? Was it young love for you too? Nothing like it is there?

I am sorry you are feeling 'odd'. Has it happened before? If not and it carries on maybe you ought to contact 'someone' for advice?

How adorable do those vegan mini nut roasts look? and so Christmassy too.

Rebecca is probably waiting for better weather to do her hedges....and Rebecca 2 is blooming now? How lovely is that 🤗

One of Charley's friends had orange hair for a while. I think; why not while you're young?!

I am very pleased your Dad can see his friends again socially distanced of course.

Well done Chris doing your project and I am pleased you are trilled with it!👍️ Have as many cakes as you like all the food here refills so there is plenty for the next visitor!

Oh dear me that is NOT nice feeling a cobweb on you!.....shudder. I hope your cleaner is better soon and you have some help again.

Today looks MUCH nice weather-wise I hope to potter a bit in the garden you should be able to go for your walk round the scheme 🙂

Love to Carol - I hope all is well and that you've heard from the family - I expect you have - and they are all well. Mr T had better be back washing up no more playing the sick card! we'll be calling him 'sick-note' soon!

Full English/Scottish/ Welsh and CORNISH (@Mike1 )

Vegan option and of course FRIED bread available !

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,644
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS CAFE MEMBERS!

YOU ARE ON YOUR 100th PAGE!!!!!!!!!!!

Well done

and I'll just have a veggie breakfast if I may!

Ellen