Val's Cafe

Options

Comments

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

Daily Poem (a new one, hope you Creakies don't mind me sharing it here).

Creakies are crazy

Creakies are crazy,

but we certainly aren’t lazy.

We work hard at sharing

which proves we are caring.

If one suffers, we comfort each other.

We like to support the ones who are down.

Make them smile, if we notice a frown.

Yes we Creakies are crazy,

but definitely not lazy

As a group, we’re tight knit,

and each member fits 

with the others, in close harmony.

Toni, yes I did read your last message about BLF. I've left Health Unlocked, too much for me atm. I might rejoin, but I'll probably need a new name now. That story about the goats was awful, I don't know what the outcome will be.

Barbara, does your brother have liquidized food? Or does he even choke on liquid? It ust be very distressing. Thank goodness for his GF.

Hugs to Joan, Carol, mig and Chris.

Beetroot Dhal

Ingredients: 

Roast Beetroot  

• 2 beetroot, chopped into small cubes 
    • Drizzle olive oil 

The dhal  

• 2 tbsp olive oil 
    • 2 tsp black mustard seeds
    • 1 tsp turmeric
    • 1 tsp cumin seeds
    • 1 tsp ground coriander
    • 1 tsp chilli flakes
    • 1 large onion, roughly chopped
    • 1 knob ginger, grated 
    • 4 cloves garlic, sliced 
    • 3 small beetroot, peeled & grated 
    • 200g red lentils, rinsed 
    • 700ml water 
    • 4 tbsp coconut cream or plain vegan yoghurt 
    • 1-2 tsp sea salt
    • Black pepper 
    • ½ tsp garam masala 

Optional add ins  

• For extra creaminess add 2-3 tbsp coconut yogurt or cream 
    • Fresh coriander 
    • Chilli flakes 

Gram (chickpea) flour flatbreads 

• 50g gram flour, sieved 
    • Pinch sea salt 
    • Splash olive oil 
    • ½ tsp apple cider vinegar 
    • 100ml water 

Method: 

To roast the beetroot

1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. 
    2. Place the veg on a baking tray and coat in olive oil, salt and pepper. 
    3. Bake for 45-50 minutes until soft in the middle and caramelised on the outside. Remove when cooked.

To make the dhal 

1. Firstly add the oil to a large frying pan and heat to a medium heat. Add in the mustard seeds. When they start to pop add in the cumin seeds, coriander, turmeric and chilli flakes. Stir for a few seconds then add the onion. Fry for aprox 8-10 minutes on a low to medium heat until soft and browning.
    2. Add in the garlic, ginger and grated beetroot and stir for another few minutes, 
    3. Cook for a further 3-4 minutes then add the lentils, water and coconut milk/yogurt. 
    4. Stir well then turn down the heat and put the lid on the pan. 
    5. Simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Add more water if needed. 

To make the flatbreads 

1. Add the gram flour and seasoning to a large bowl. Stir to combine. Add in the water, olive oil and vinegar. Mix to a smooth batter. Set aside for 10 minutes. 
    2. Add a little oil to the base of a non-stick small frying pan. Add 60ml/¼ cup of the batter to the pan and swirl around the bottom so you get an even crepe. 
    3. Cook on a medium heat for approximately 2 minutes until there are bubbles in the crepe and you can lift over to flip easily. 
    4. Flip and cook on the other side for 30 seconds to a minute.
    5. Remove from the pan and place on and cover with a clean cloth to keep warm. 
    6. Repeat the process with the remaining batter. 

To serve

1. Season well with salt, pepper and garam masala. 
    2. Top with the roast beetroot and coconut yogurt. 
    3. Scoop up with the flatbreads.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options

Afternoon everyone

just a quick post before we go out to meet grandson and his little family And yes I will give the kids a hug I will have my mask on I just cannot not give them a hug. This morning we met up with my sister for a coffee and spent about 2 hours with her in Wetherspoons got to go now and meet Gs

love and Sparkles ❤️❤️🌈🌈

Stay positive always👍xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Afternoon all..rain again and Friday says 31..unbelievably
    Toni thankyou fir the porridge ..i use ti have it every morning..must start to make it again.
    I agree that no animal should be treated like that.. us humans wouldn't like it..makes me despair..
    My brother saw our ekdest brother with his PEG..that never worked..so i think he will leave that for now ..he does get some food down with his fizzy water..but who knows what is coming..
    I am glad to hear Charley house is going to plan..fungers crossed for them xx
    Joan we had mask on in the cafe..just took them off to eat..and they had hand cleansers everywhere ..its so strange ...love to all of you ..are the doggies doing ok xx
    Carol I am pleased you are there..and we hug Niamh with our mask in on..i am sure all will be fine..you enjoy yourselves..xx
    Kath i am a proper creaky today..but have dine my stretches....
    My brother has the drinks and we liquidise some foods for him...and so dies his gf and bless her she has never learned to cook but has done some good soups..thankyou for the rosted beetroot..really good for us.. .xx
    Love to everyone
    Xxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    Options

Morning everyone I think it might be ok out there again today 🙂 Good because the weeds have overtaken here

Joan I have heard of some cows treated badly - not in our village though I keep an eye.... much better day yesterday let's hope today is too. Love to you and Sue ((()))

Hi Kath Shall I just say I'm in touch and you are ok to BLF for now? Don't want them thinking the worst do we I think they might have been. I hope the café never gets to much for you we would be lost without you😕

Loving the 'creaky' poem it's so funny! and the joke goes perfectly with it too. 😁

Hope Anita and val and your dad are ok? Sleek said Chris is 'cuming along Mummy' I hope that's true. She has dropped off some more poultices.

Beetroot dhal! Fabulous! Love beetroot it's so good for you too. When we went to hungary we have lovely beetroot casserole in a vegan café . They had so many there Vegan places you know. Mind you we were in Buda (One half of Budapest ) which is very cosmopolitan .

Hi Carol Thanks for letting us know you are ok. I am so glad you are there and so pleased you are finally seeing them all I know how much they mean to you. Yes masks on and sadly no hugs😕 but at least you are there.

Barbara what a shame about your bro having seen one working badly. I have seen two PEGS in situ both working really really well. One on a friend (head neck throat cancer) and one on a lad with a disability. There is no doubt they extend lives, but bless him l understand ((())) for you.

Sounds very different being in a café these days, but ok too if it means we get to eat in our favourite places. My favourite opens on the 1st I think. only 8 tables though so might need to see if we can book. Used to share with strangers there, but obviously can't do that now.

Can in this cafe though we are 100% covid free 😁

Going to make soup today....

Breakfast:

Anything you fancy really!

• Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem (2 for the price of one today, both VERY old.).

The Lady From Tahiti (part 1)

The lady from Tahiti 

in her brightly patterned dress 

sashays down the ward 

trying not to cause distress 

as her single bosom flounces, 

her enormous stomach bounces 

and her buttocks gently sway from side to side.

The lady from Tahiti 

wears seashells in her ears 

a creation by Paul Gaugin

she tries to hide the fears 

and all the pointless tears 

gathered up across the years 

as the ageless, timeless paint begins to crack and fade. 

The Lady of Tahiti (part 2)

She swayed across my TV screen

her voice was soft and lilting.

Her eyes were dark,

her smile was wide,

her hands were upwards tilting.

I held my breath and closed my eyes,

while dreaming of Tahiti.

Of flowing hair

and flowered dress

and voices singing sweetly.

Along the sand 

I watched her dance 

among the Palms around me

amid the rippling waves

her shadows washing out to sea....

....So she came home, 

that dark eyed beauty 

my lifelong friend, 

the lady of Tahiti.

Toni, Whatever you think . Just tell them I have too much on looking after my husband and his bad leg. That I still think of them, but my poetry head has got lost somewhere. (that's true by the way) I had a phone call from a lady at Clic Sargent yesterday, thanking me for my donation. So I told her about Lucy and how marvellous she is after they supported her through her cancer. She was so pleased to hear how well she is after all she has been through. Thanks for all the grub. ☺️

Barbara, I'm very glad to hear your brother has soups and liquidized food. He needs to keep his strength up.

Carol, yes, you should definitely give all your GRANDS hugs.

((((Hugs)))) to Joan, Chris, mig and anyone I might have missed.

Moussaka

The ultimate vegan version of this traditional Greek dish! Tender aubergines, rich vegetable mince, thick creamy béchamel sauce...oh and lots of cheese. Mmmmm! Enjoy with a light salad in the summer or as the ultimate comfort food in winter months. 

Ingredients: 

Aubergines

• 6 aubergines
    • Olive oil 
    • Salt 

Filling 

• Olive oil
    • 2 onions, finely diced
    • 3 garlic cloves, finely diced
    • 250g mushrooms, sliced
    • 500g vegan soya mince 
    • 1-2 tbsp tomato purée
    • 2 x (400g) tins chopped tomatoes
    • 150ml vegan red wine 
    • 150ml stock
    • ½ tsp oregano
    • ½ tsp cinnamon
    • 1 tbsp vegan syrup (eg maple, agave)

Béchamel

• 4 tbsp vegan margarine
    • 4 tbsp plain flour
    • 400ml usweetened soya milk
    • 2 tsp Dijon mustard
    • Pinch of grated nutmeg
    • 1-2 tsp salt (to taste)
    • 2 tsp egg replacer (eg Orgran - optional)
    • 150g silken tofu (optional)
    • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional) 

Topping 

• Melting vegan cheese 
    • Vegan parmesan eg Violife Prosociano or use pre-grated eg Angel Food, Flavour Fusion or Follow Your Heart 

Method: 

Aubergines

1. Pre-heat the oven to 200˚C/400˚F/Gas Mark 6.
    2. Remove stalks and cut the aubergines into slices, 1cm thick. 
    3. Season with salt and drizzle with olive oil. 
    4. Place on baking tray and cook, turning once, for 20-30 minutes or until soft and golden. 

Filling

1. Fry the onion in a little oil until lightly golden. 
    2. Add the mushrooms and cook until slightly softened. 
    3. Add the garlic, oregano, cinnamon and fry for a further 1-2 minutes. 
    4. Stir in the tomato purée, veggie mince, red wine, stock, tinned tomatoes and syrup. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer with the lid on for roughly 30 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated. 
    5. Taste and add salt and a little more syrup if necessary. 

Béchamel 

1. Using a large saucepan, melt the margarine on a low heat. 
    2. Take the saucepan off the heat and stir in the flour until you have a paste. 
    3. Return the pan to the heat, turn up to medium and very gradually add the soya milk, stirring continuously to avoid lumps. 
    4. Once the sauce has thickened, add the Dijon, nutmeg, salt and optional extras (if using). Use a balloon whisk to get rid of lumps if necessary. 
    5. Stir thoroughly then set aside. 

Assembly

1. Reduce the oven heat to 180˚C/350˚F/Gas mark 4-5
    2. Place a layer of aubergine into a rectangular oven dish followed by a layer of the filling. 
    3. Repeat this process until you have several layers. 
    4. Leaving a couple of inches at the top, pour on the béchamel sauce so that the top of the moussaka is completely covered. 
    5. Add a thick layer of melting vegan cheese. 
    6. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 25 minutes. 
    7. Remove from the oven, take off the foil, sprinkle over the parmesan and place back in the oven, uncovered, for a further 15 minutes until the top is slightly browned. 

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    Options
    evening all a lovely day today..:)
    Toni what a lovely breakfast.. it reminds me of a B&B in Wales the landlady put so much food out at breakfast you didnt know were to start..hahahaha
    I bet Kari loved her little work room..thats one reason I gave up making jewellery apart from my hands that is..it was all over the table in the living room...xx
    Kath is the The Lady From Tahiti a song or made into one...sure I have heard it...:)Ooh love Moussaka but never made it... thankyou xx
    Love to Joan and anyone else that pops in
    Xxxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options

Evening this is again a quick post as my battery on my I pad is running low. We have seen everyone now. We saw daughter youngest granddaughter and boyfriend on Monday just after we arrived here today. Tuesday morning we meet my sister and had coffee with her. And then GS and GF and Ashley Faye and Kian in the afternoon and took them onto the beach. Then this afternoon we did the same with eldest GD and Lillie Graycie and Rubie. Tomorrow we are meeting Youngest GD and BF at the local Wetherspoons for breakfast tomorrow morning. And then we are having the afternoon to ourselves before returning home on Friday.and Yes they were hugged in fact the little ones were all good they all stood and waited until I said you can give us a hug. In fact Lillie also looked at her mum as much as to say is it ok before she did. I know you love the photos of the kids. So here is some for you.

Will post more next time

love and sparkles to you all ❤️❤️❤️🌈🌈🌈

Stay positive always👍xx
  • frogmorton
    Options

Kath I love that poem (well both of them) it's the pace of it and the descriptions the colours and sounds.... you can almost hear her can't you?

I'll say something to BLF.

How lovely is that CLIC ringing you! I am so pleased they heard Lucy's news and know their work is all worth it because it is it really is 🙂 I have them as my 'smile' charity on Amazon too so every time I shop on amazon they get a donation. When we did our charity event for Lucy and raised over £6,000 we split it equally between TCT and Clic.

That moussaka made my mouth water than you YUMMY!

Sleek peeked over my shoulder and said 'Eye wants sum toona resee peas Mummy'! I have to tell Aunty Kath. Not for me though🙄

Barbara what a breakfast you had in wales! So lovely and why not? You need it when you are on your hols.

Oh dear beads can be very messy can't they? I remember once or twice Bill spilling his seed beads and Aidan ducking for cover😁

Yes Kari gave up the biggest bedroom for her studio it has two windows and her bedroom is at the back so more peaceful too.

I think we have some serious sun on the way so get that pool out and Niamh over!

Carol how lovely to see every single one of the little ones - or little people as Aidan called them. How well brought up are they that they knew not just to pounce on you although they wanted to!🤗

Now those photos are what I love to see - children playing on the beach in the summer holidays. Perfect. They all look so well and so happy. You must be so proud I know I would be if they were mine. I can't believe how they've all grown especially Kian!

How is Mr T? I bet he is happier and more himself now that you have got away.

save your battery and enjoy today and tomorrow to yourselves. Stay safe and take care ((()))

Now today I can't see Joan! I hope everything is ok? Sue and Joan love and ((()))

Love too to Chris I hope you are ok and getting that chair all charged ready for freedom! Busy doing your projects no doubt.

What shall we eat this morning? hmmmm

choose your fillings everyone!

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,943
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath (\())) Anita ((()))Val ((())) and your dad ((())) Chris (())

Barbara ((())) Mr B ((()) and your brother ((()) and his Girlfriend ((()))

Carol ((())) and her family

Toni ((())) Paul ((())) Lucy (((())) Charley ((())) and her friend ((())) Tia ((())) Prom ((())) Kari ((()))

it would not let me post yesterday it kept coming up you haven't got permission to do that so we shall see today

Bill(((()))Chris ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    edited 30. Jul 2020, 10:14
    Options

Daily Poem (by someone called ED. 😏)

Treasure chest

You keep some of you hidden

in your own personal treasure chest

in which you store the sparkle

and hide the shining bits

that only come out in those sneaky

moments squeezed between the dark.

How I wish that I could open that chest

and pull out those diamonds for

everyone to see in the joy of light;

how I wish that those who just know

the dark that consumes you

might see those moments too

and know that joy of clarity as well.

Barbara, I wrote the first one when I was in hospital. The second one came about after watching a program about Tahiti. I was the original Lady Of Tahiti, because my daughter brought me 3 brightly coloured dresses to wear while in hospital. They were the inspiration for the first poem.

Carol, more beautiful photos. I love the one with curly toes. Is that Rubie?

Toni, I was only too happy to let Clic Sargent know how Lucy was getting on. They should be as proud of her as we all are. Tell Sleek I'm going to post a Tuna recipe just for her, the little darling. BTW, thank you for the omelets, I'll have mushrooms of course. I'm not happy with my choice of poems today. I wanted one about chest infections, but Google came up with that. And who the heck is Ed? Perhaps it's Ed the duck?

Joan, thank you for your kind thoughts for my dad and sister. My love to Sue too.

SIX-MINUTE SEARED AHI TUNA STEAKS

These Seared Ahi Tuna Steaks (also known as yellowfin or bigeye tuna) take only SIX MINUTES to cook to medium-rare perfection and are bursting with delicious umami flavor from the soy sauce and toasted sesame honey marinade recipe! And since marinating is optional, you can whip this tuna steak recipe up at a moment’s notice. I like serving these seared tuna steaks with rice and green beans, or simply over a bed of greens with an Asian-style salad dressing.

If I can get dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes, I’m a happy camper. Under 20? Even better. But under TEN? It’s almost too good to be true! But this one is DEFINITELY true.

So true that we’ve made these Six-Minute Seared Ahi Tuna Steaks twice in the past two weeks and fully plan on doing it again this coming week.

As you may have guessed from the title, this recipe only takes about six minutes, and it’s absolutely mouthwateringly delicious. And healthy. And EASY! What more could you want?

Salmon is usually my go-to for fish, since it’s outrageously delicious and amazingly healthy.

But when I was at the grocery store the other day and saw these gorgeous ahi tuna steaks for $5 (that’s only $2.50 each!), I couldn’t resist.

WHAT IS AHI TUNA?

Ahi tuna is type of tuna that is divided into two different species: yellowfin and bigeye. And it’s often cheaper than bluefin tuna, with a very similar flavor profile and texture. You can usually find it frozen at Trader Joe’s or your local grocery store for very inexpensive.

While I love salmon, it can be a bit pricey. And tuna, like salmon, is healthy and has an array of serious health benefits (including being high in Omega-3s and vitamin B12).

A seared tuna steak is a bit different than the canned tuna everyone is used to. For one thing: it comes in a whole, beautiful raw steak that holds its form much easier than other kinds of fish, which may tend to flake apart.

For another thing: it is usually cooked medium-rare: seared on the outside, red on the inside.

It actually looks very similar to a beef steak in this regard. It. Is. AMAZING.

IS IT SAFE TO EAT RAW AHI TUNA?

If you’re nervous about eating raw fish, you should use your best judgement. You can always choose to cook these ahi tuna steaks all the way through to be well-done.

ut tuna steaks are usually served seared on the outside and raw on the inside. Look up any seared ahi tuna recipe and you will see that it is almost always cooked this way. If you order it a restaurant, it’s bound to be cooked medium-rare as well.

I’d recommend getting over your fears and jumping on this bandwagon (unless you’re pregnant or have another medical reason not to consume raw fish). Fully cooked tuna can be a bit dry (like its canned counterpart), but when the outside is a crispy, salty, savory layer and the inside is a supple, soft, tender layer, it enhances the taste so much and the texture is amazing.

Plus, many of the bacteria that makes raw foods more risky to eat is usually found on the surface of the foods. If you sear the outside, as in this recipe, you’re killing off the bacteria that may make you sick. Same goes for a good seared steak.

HOW TO SEAR THE TUNA STEAKS

The fact that the tuna is served medium-rare accounts for its extremely fast cooking time. Just marinate the tuna in a mixture of soy sauce, oil, salt, and pepper (with some cayenne for some heat, if you want) preferably for at least ten minutes, or overnight.

For a typical ahi tuna steak (about 1.5″ thick), sear on each side for about two minutes (less time for rare; more time for medium). I recommend using a nonstick skillet for this, or a very well seasoned cast iron skillet (fish has a tendency to stick, and you don’t want to risk the beautiful seared outer layer sticking to the pan!).

Also, it’s important to get the pan SEARING hot before adding the fish. You want the outside to cook very quickly, while leaving the inside raw, so it should be as hot as possible before beginning to sear. I usually heat the pan for 3-5 minutes.

Let it rest for a few minutes, slice, and you’re ready!

WHAT TO SERVE WITH AHI TUNA

I like sprinkling some sliced green onions on top of the sliced ahi tuna, along with some toasted sesame seeds and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.

It’s DELICIOUS served in a rice bowl with green beans or broccoli and a drizzle of spicy mayo or other sauce.

Or, for a super healthy and low-carb meal, serve it on a bed of greens with an Asian-style dressing. (We used this soy-ginger one that was fabulous!).

Alternatively, this would be great in a seared tuna poke bowl. Poke bowls are usually made with raw fish, but I think this fish, seared perhaps for a little less time than normal, cut up into cubes, would be excellent in a poke bowl.

I think this sliced tuna steak would be amazing on top of avocado toast, too!

HOW TO THAW FROZEN FISH

I bought my ahi tuna steaks frozen, but you may be able to find fresh. If you use frozen, just make sure it’s completely defrosted before cooking.

I usually take mine out of the vacuum sealed plastic and leave it on a plate, covered in plastic wrap, in the fridge for 24 hours before I plan on cooking. Then, I make sure to pat them dry before cooking, as this will create a better sear.

• barbara12
    Options
    Afternoon all nice and warm here..so i am sat in the shed looking at my pond..we bought some goldfish for it and they look very happy ..they have shade from the sun ..plants for oxygen ..and there own waterfall..must be like the Ritz after the outdoor tank they were in hahaha..
    Toni I will have cheese and onion in my omelette..thankyou..yes we are filling the pool has I speak Niamh is coming tomorrow ..its her bitthday on the 4th not a clue what to get her
    So Karu has a nice big room to work in..does she still paint.. i suppose the lightwill really help..xx
    Carol you have got nice weather thank goodness and managed to see everyone.. just chill out tomorrow its going to be very hot ..
    The photo are so lovely.. nice to see the children enjoying themselves xx
    Joan it logged me out yesterday..but I managed to get back in. Hope you don't have any problems now ..love to all of you.xx
    Kath I bet the colourful dresses cheered you up..how nice of your daughter ...must say you do write some good poetry..wonder who Ed is hahaha..i hope Chris's leg is doing ok..are you still nurse...
    I luke Tuna but not pink in the middle same with steak...sime good info there on Tuna thankyou..xx
    Right that me done
    Live to everyone
    Xxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

I only like tuna out of a tin!

• frogmorton
    edited 31. Jul 2020, 06:19
    Options

Oh @Mike1 !!! Does Vixen like tuna? You can get cat-safe tuna although many feed them the 'real stuff'.

Joan i am just gald you are ok that's all that matters. If it happens again report it to @Sharon_K like this and she'll see it. I had that a few times when the forum was new but not recently. I had a cuppa with P yesterday she is doing well not in too much pain. ((())) love to you and Sue.

Barbara how wonderful! Fishes! Just what you needed to finish it off. They really must be in fishy heaven bless them.🐠

Glad you enjoyed your omelette.

Hooray Niamh will be so happy! Things will feel more normal for her again with the pool out. Has she not got any craze going on with her friends ATM? If not is she old enough to enjoy buying clothes yet? She's so sweet bless her.

We are having our Sunday lunch again this week. My lovely neighbours are collecting (well he is). I am doing their shopping on my Tesco order and a little for P. We had a cup of fruit tea in her garden yesterday morning and a good chat. Got right to the nitty gritty we did. A bit sad😕but important stuff.

Kari has a Youtube channel is it? She posts videos 3x a week I am so proud of her🙂 She loves her studio and has also got daylight bulbs

Kath I love the lady of Tahiti and I love your imagination. From 3 colourful dresses and such a dreadful time a lovely poem was born! I quite liked ED's poem I think it's maybe about depression?

Sleek has had the tuna and said 'Fank yoo Arnty Kaff' It's a bit whiffy in here ATM she has some last night and again this morning🤢She offered to bring you a mackerel latte. I suggested it might be 'a bit rich' for you and better stick to a starbucks instead😁

She will be over later to look at Chris' leg/s P's husband's are the same so she's popping in there too with more of Tosca's poultices. I had a good chat in P's garden yesterday important stuff so that was good. Sad but good.

I expected your omelette to be mushroom! We like what we like don't we?

Oh I replied on the BLF post so hopefully they will all be reassured that you are ok.

Love to Chris - hope all is well with you Chris and you are just taking advantage of the good weather.

Love also to Carol enjoy your last day we'll see you back at home soon safe journey.

Got us the pool out it's going to be HOT

Kath is in already!

Hmmm breakfast....

• Mike1
    Options

From Frogmorton: Does Vixen like tuna? You can get cat-safe tuna although many feed them the 'real stuff'.

I buy little pots of tuna in spring water for her as a treat but she only has it maybe once a month at the most and that is only when she turns her nose up at her usual food. When I show her the tin she gets all soppy and rubs her head into the can but invariably when I put it in her bowl she will have a couple of mouthfuls and then leaves it so most of the tin ends up in the bin! She prefers roast turkey breast as a treat and she gets a pack of that at least once a week.

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) how is Chris's leg it should be well on the mend with you looking after it. ((())) love to Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and your dad ((()))

Barbara ((())) it's relaxing watching fish swim time goes quick love to Mr B ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni ((())) how are you love to Paul ((()) Lucy ((())) Charley ((())) and her friend (((())) Tia ((())) Kari ((())) and Pom ((())) I hope she's not in too much pain ((()))

Mike what colour is your cat ((()))

Love to Bill ((())) Carol (((())) Mig ((())) Aidan thinking of you

take care
    joan xx
  • Mike1
    Options

From Dachshund: Mike what colour is your cat?

She is black and white:

oh, and a pink tongue! 😁

• barbara12
    Options
    Hello all..not grumbling but its hot..hahaha.
    Our poor GD and all the other staff that have to wear mask..phew...
    More lockdown for us even though our towns stats are very low..but we come under GM...
    Mike ..Vixen is lovely..she looks like Jake from next door to us.. mind you he has moved in here.. they have 3 cats..xx
    Joan thankyou ..must say time has flown since this lockdown ..glad you are all ok..are the little doggies able to cool down ..bet they are sleeping...xx
    Toni thankyou for the pancakes..wow they were good..they were all for me i take it..hahaha
    Yes its best to get things sorted..i am sure you are a big help to P..easier when it's not family ..bless her....
    Niamh is here and in the pool ..she is part of our bubble and we have mask..
    Our restaurant nearby has stopped doing Sunday dunners now they are open.. so it will be back to our pub meal but can't complain one bit its good..you enjoy yours with your neighbours.. xx
    Love to all that are missing and a safe journey home to Carol.
    Xxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Hi Vixen! isn't she gorgeous! I know what you mean when they see something they adore! Totally sweet all over the food .My puss won't eat the tuna either but did like packets of cooked chicken and used to sit near the fridge optimistically whenever anyone went near😁Then after a while we noticed she went off it. My eldest daughter's cat likes ham, but it's only bought when tablets are needed😉She is already far too plumptious!!

Joan P is doing ok pain definitely under control which is good. Trickily she has to avoid fatty foods because they will block the bile duct and make her feel sick and she's already skinny enough.

I was thinking of Aidan a lot yesterday too ((())) he used to hate it so hot and it was SOOOOO hot wasn't it?

Barbara are you on semi lockdown again? You really must stop all this partying and drinking in your house! I bet you aren't too pleased are you? Of course Niamh is in your 'bubble' that won't change it's just maybe people have been letting too many people into their houses and forgetting themselves? maybe?

Some of this maybe going on too

It's 13.4 miles from here. It started in the pub then one person took it to a house-party the next night. You can imagine if there's alcohol involved.....

Did your girl enjoy the pool? I bet she did it was just so hot yesterday far too hot for me I did NOTHING at all!

On the subject of Jake - does he belong to your lovely neighbour or is he the other side? Just wondering whether he will be moving house too🤔

Our Sunday dinners can keep going because it's not a restaurant it's a sort of tiny little café which had only just opened before COVID hit and I have a feeling it's been such a roaring success that it might just keep on for a while if not 🤞forever.....really sorry about yours though 😕Still the pub ones are great anyway aren't they?

Such a treat.

Now I do hope all is well with our KathT....or did she say she was going to have the odd day off of the internet???

Hope Chris' leg/s improving. Sleek says they are, but he and Kath do not seem to be drinking their fishy lattes🙄can't think why🤢

Anyway sending love and ((())) hope the family are all ok.

Love to Carol who is probably home but exhausted🙂 and Chris (AKA Cat-lady) who I very much hope is ok.

Charley is coming for a garden curry tonight and I just hope the flies aren't around....do you know what to do about flies anyone ???

Now it's Saturday so croissant and coffee breakfast....

(Barbara yes all those pancakes were yours - we all had a stack each!)

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone it's the first of August today

Mike lovely cat he's looked after I can see ((())

Barbara ((())) how are you and Mr B ((())) coping with this virus it seems normal now wearing a mask but it will be nice when its over yes. Love to your brother ((()) and his girlfriend ((())) and your niece the carer ((())) they work so hard it must be worrying they know they could get the virus.

Toni ((())) you have the same worry with Charley ((())) and her friend ((())) being carers as well. love to Paul ((())) Tia ((())) Lucy (((())) Prom ((()))

love to Kath and Chris ((())) and Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and your dad ((()))

Carol ((())) Chris ((())) Mig ((())) Bill ((())) and Aidan (())

take care
    joan xx
  • CatLady1
    CatLady1 Member Posts: 64
    Options

Hi to all the lovely people in the café

Sorry I haven't been on for ages. Things haven't been brilliant for me recently. My neck and shoulder have got very painful. It's difficult to know if it's from my shoulder or whether my neck condition has decided it has been quiet for so long (so long I can't remember how long). It's not just the usual aches and pains I usually get. It will not beat me. On top of that my lower back and my sciatica are back again. I am making sure that I get my regular daily walk in, even that takes much longer. Thank goodness for my walker.

I have finished all my projects for my art group, I had a new one yesterday but I'm just thinking about it for the time being. My embroidery hasn't been started yet I've been looking at lots on U Tube and pin interest. I am busy this morning and actually going out this afternoon. Wheelchair is charged, mask is at the ready. It will be interesting as I haven't been out since 19th March. No cooking today, just a snack. I've booked myself a space in the car park of our local for a late lunch/early evening meal. Not sure how I feel about going now. But earlier I decided to do it to celebrate the end of my shielding. Listening to the news today I'm not sure how long this will be going on. It's getting very bad in Swindon and a couple of other places here in Wiltshire.

Love all your positive posts, it is a pleasure to come on here and read them. Mike1 your cat is so lovely, Carol your photos of your grandchildren are so special and captures them well. Toni - I am enjoying your breakfasts: trouble is if I eat too many the weight will come back. Your poems are lovely - I enjoy reading them. I am so pleased I decided to post on here, I enjoy hearing all about your daily trials and happenings. It's lovely that they are so positive.

Toni ((())) Kath ((())) Barbara ((())) Joan ((())) Carol ((())) Mike ((())) and to all who come to the café ((())).

Chris

• Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem

The World of Now: Health and safety in a time of shielding

by Kate Swinburn (MS Sufferer)

How are you? I’m fine. Am I really?

I don’t know. 

I’m scared. I’m calm. 

I’m strong. I’m vulnerable. 

I’m positive. I’m inert. 

I’m mindful. I’m distracted. 

I’m relaxed. I’m watchful. 

I’m lucky, blessed, privileged, loved, supported.

I work. I walk. I talk. I eat. I try not to drink.

Nature, family, chocolate bring joy; dogs uncomplicated physical contact. 

I enjoy my small world but yearn for its expansion.

But I deny myself thoughts of the bigger world, the future world, the spontaneous world, the unlocked world.  

Because when will the world be a place of safety? 

Where will that place be? 

How even will this new world be? 

Everyone is uncertain. Waiting for instructions. 

But instructions don’t help if you’re vulnerable. 

You can go out, but will you?

Your Health and your Safety are in your own hands. 

Your future a series of personal micro-decisions.

Risks assessed and managed with every action, every interaction, every gate post touched, every parcel delivered, every stranger approaching, every thought of gathering again. 

So, unanchored, indecisive, uncertain, distanced, we focus only on the Here and the Now. 

With no safety in numbers for the vulnerable, no net to catch those around us keeping us safe, no blanket to envelope us, no pair of pristinely clean hands to help us put safety first, can we allow ourselves to look to the future?

We must pass through an uneven world of the safe and the shielded; safe spaces redefined. 

And then we will return to healthy spaces, life filled with hugs and happiness, friends and futures, uncomplicated chance meetings. 

We will be healthy, happy and safe. 

This Will End. 

Well it is too hot for me, I think I'll go to the North Pole. I feel sorry for Barbara being in lockdown. I'm also sorry that P is suffering too. Mike, Vixen is rather like my grandsons cat Bertie.

and my od pusskin Smutty.

We've always had a penchant for piebald cats in our family. Mum had one called Buster (no photo)

The Creakies are doing rather well thanks to you lovely lot. There are some members who have never posted, and it rather peeves me really. I just feel like banning them all. 😕

Sending hugs and sparkles to mig, Carol. Chris and Joan and Sue.

Griddled Asparagus with Smokey Carrot & Béarnaise Sauce

This dish reminds me of my early years as a chef... making a traditional béarnaise was always a challenge as they split very easily. I spent hours praying to the cooking gods that it wouldn’t happen! However, that time has now passed with this very easy and stable vegan béarnaise! The gentle crunch of the griddled asparagus gives it great texture as well as the smokiness of the infused carrots. The richness of the béarnaise means its perfect served with a full-bodied red wine!

Ingredients: 

Carrot

• 1 carrot
    • 30g Lapsang tea
    • Salt

Asparagus 

• 1 x bunch asparagus
    • 20ml good quality olive oil 

Béarnaise sauce 

• 350g silken tofu
    • 80ml good quality olive oil
    • ¼ tsp ground turmeric
    • ½ tsp onion powder
    • 40g lemon juice or white wine vinegar

Decoration 

• A few sprigs of dill and parsley
    • 250g watercress
    • Salt

Method: 

Carrot

1. Take a peeler and peel long strips from the carrot.
    2. Boil 250ml of water then take it off the heat. Drop into the water the carrots, Lapsang tea and a pinch of salt. Gently stir and leave to infuse for 20 minutes. 

Asparagus 

1. Meanwhile toss your asparagus in the olive oil and a pinch of salt. Heat your griddle pan up and lay your asparagus onto it. Turning after 30 seconds or char marks have appeared. (An ordinary frying pan will do the trick if you don’t have a griddle pan.)
    2. Once the asparagus is cooked you can wrap it in the carrot ribbons and leave them to one side.

Béarnaise sauce 

1. Blend the tofu into a smooth consistency in a food processor. Whilst still blending, add your lemon juice, a pinch of salt, turmeric and onion powder. Keep the mixer blending and slowly pour in the oil and allow it to emulsify.

Assembly/final method

1. You can heat up the wrapped asparagus at a low temperature in the oven. Meanwhile place the bearnaise sauce into a small saucepan and gently heat it up, do not allow it to boil.
    2. Chop your herbs up finely and add them to the sauce just before serving with the rest of the components.

• Mike1
    Options

From Kathleen T: Mike, Vixen is rather like my grandsons cat Bertie.

Yep, and a fellow box lover too!

• barbara12
    Options
    Evening all Niamh just gone home with daddy..its her Brithday on Tuesday but she will be in Blackpool with mum..she siad when I come back weds dint forget ti say Hapoy Birthday..hiw could we hahaha
    I will try and jeep this short..
    Kath another brilliant poem..and a nice recipe..i suppose there are all sorts of reasons people dont post...i sometimes forget.
    Must do better that is me hahaha..yes lockdown... but to be honest we don't go far has it is..the photos are lovely.don't they bring back memory's...xx
    Toni thankyou for breakfast.. my first croissant was about 2 years ago would you believe ..i am so pleased Ps pain is controlled ..sending many gentle hugs for her....Jake belongs to our other neighbour.....Niamh was in the pool ok with her snortle on but she talks that much..it didn't quite work...hahaha xx
    Joan its our GD that is a carer she treats patients in there own home and 2 already have the virus ..its such a worry.i think we are getting used to it all..
    .love to all if you xx
    Chris .it is scary going out but has long as you wear your mask and stay away from people ..not always easy...glad you have finished your projects wonder if you could get some pics on..must say l love U Tube when I am stuck on something...
    You enjoy your meal xx
    Now that's me
    Love to all
    Xxxxxxc
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    edited 2. Aug 2020, 07:31
    Options

I think we all might be cat lovers in here Mike!

Talking of which it's good to see you Chris aka catlady I am so sorry you ahve been so achy. Not always good to spend time on the computer with necks shoulders is it I quite understand ((()))🌈 I hope things ease soon. Good idea to get your exercise in no matter what if you can.

I wonder whether you went out in your chair for your meal....I hope you did because it would have done you good to see people and be spoilt a bit. Alos in case youo are semi locked down again like Barbara is.

Well done getting all your projects finished! Wow! The embroidery can wait until you feel less uncomfortable and the same with the new project. REST a bit.

Remember all the food in here is calories free so eat to your hearts' content!

Joan all our carer daughters and Grandaughters need our appreciation and have it I think from us lot in here. They have lost 14 altogether SO FAR at Charley's place. Love to you and Sue from me. ((()))

Kath now you mustn't worry I read somewhere that this forum has some ridiculous number of people - maybe 7-800 who read a day. They are still getting something out of the advice and support being shown to people who have arthritis.

Very good poem by that lady who has MS very impressive - says it all.

That looked amazing the Griddled Asparagus with Smokey Carrot & Béarnaise Sauce. I miss my sauces so must try it.

I still agree with you on the 2m rule we must keep it up. Not like my new neighbours who had at least 70 tere last night all dancing singing karaoke and drinking. We had my friends over (two gay ladies) and Charley and her GF socially distanced curry. It was lovely, but tiring. Luckily today all I have to think about is my Sunday lunch delivery and my Tesco delivery!

How many cats like Vixen?!!! WOW!!! Now don't you go pinching her from him!!! Miss Sleek says 'I'm not bovered Mummy Arnty Kaff loves mee bestest'.

Hi Barbara yesterday was a good bit cooler, but I think it's another nice day here today.

Aw snorkeling was our Niamh?! Bless her. I bet she'd enjoy that in real life - maybe when she talks a little less? Now you must do a birthday cake and sing to her next time you see her and facetime her on her birthday to sing to her.

I'm glad Jake will still be able yo come into his 2nd home I was a bit worried then for a second!

First croissant 2 years ago? Wow that's amazing.

I hope your GD is keeping safe and her Fiancee. Are they tested weekly like Charley is? She is clear so safe to come to ours last night well outside anyway. Weird not inviting friends inside especially with the noise next door.

Full English/Scottish/Cornish coming up - it's Sunday! 2 eggs for anyone who wants them?

Carol will be back and hopefully recovered from her break visiting the rabble 🙂Talking of MS (I was with Kath) is the group that you visit open? If so get and sell some cards they will all be desperate for them!

Love to everyone

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Chris ((())) where do you live we live in Swindon. I hope your pain has calmed down today (())

Kath (()) how is Chris's leg ((())) love to Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and your dad ((()))

Barbara (())) Happy birthday to Niamh on Tuesday ((())) love to Mr B ((()) and your brother (()) and his girlfriend ((())

Toni ((())) enjoy your meal love to Paul (())) Charley (((())) and her friend (()))) Lucy ((())))Tia ((())) and Pom ((()))

and all the carers ((())) Thank you ((()))

love to Bill ((()))Mig ((())) Carol ((())) Aidan (()))

take care
    joan xx