Val's Cafe

Comments

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992

Mike just for you we will have a full Cornish breakfast today:

Greta, hope you enjoyed it, I settled for a bacon butty!

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,899

Good morning everyone

Barbara ((())) Did you go to see your Doctor at was it over the phone at least you spoke to her good. love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Kath ((())) love to you. and Chris ((())) Anita ((())) and Val ((()) and your Dad ((()))

Toni ((())) I hope all is well there love to Paul ((())) Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) Lucy ((())) Tia (((())) Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

. Love to Bill ((())) Chris ((())) Carol ((())) Mig ((())) Mike ((())) and Elliott ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Mike1

I used to order my repeat prescriptions through "The Waiting Room" but last month my surgery stopped using them and announced that they were transferring to a new scheme but, as yet, they have not advised patients what it is. As a result I had no option but to order my repeat by phoning my surgery's pharmacy which took me over 40 minutes to get through to them; when I eventually did they said that until the new system is up and running I could use the NHS on-line prescription line. I just tried logging into them as I need a new supply of drugs but unless one has a smart phone or a tablet you cannot do it!! I don't have either and don't intend to buy one so have no option but to phone the surgery tomorrow and waste time hanging on the end of the phone - I can't hold the phone so rest it on my shoulder - they don't even play music whilst waiting!!

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583

Barbara, I am so pleased you will finally get your MRI. But hope you won't have a long wait. Fat knees? I didn't see any fat - anywhere. Well that's not strictly true, plenty of fat on show round my bloated belly - tee hee.

Toni, I'm very happy you and Sleek enjoyed Arnold. It's where my Uncle Jack an Aunty Joyce used to live. I went to junior school in Woodthorpe (mentioned in the text). Long Eaton has a market, but it's not as good as it used to be. It's second time round for me and Chris too, if I was still married to my first (Heaven forbid) It would be our 51st anniversary. Easy to work out, as my eldest daughter will be 51 this August. Dad made me cross yesterday. I had to ring 3 times before he answered as he had gone down the garden to pull up some Golden Rod. I said I didn't think you would go out in this wind. So he said Well I was wrapped up warm. I answered I was thinking more of the wind blowing you over!!! It had blown our wheelie bin over, so I had to go and sort it out!!!

Joan, Oh dear, Diabetes is dreadful, I hope she will be all right. Hugs to you and Sue.

Another market town in Nottingham is Bulwell   about 4.5 miles (7 km) north-west of Nottingham city centre, on the northern edge of the city. The United Kingdom Census 2001 showed there were almost 30,000 people living in the Bulwell area, accounting for over 10 per cent of the population of the city of Nottingham. The 2011 census showed a population of 16,157 in the Bulwell ward of Nottingham City Council There is also an adjacent ward called Bulwell Forest (which includes Highbury ValeRise Park and the western area of Top Valley). The population of this ward at the same census was 13,614.

Bulwell Main Street, looking north Until the 1980s this was part of an important through traffic route. Always a major local shopping centre, it has benefited from pedestrianisation and is well served by public transport.

Bulwell Bogs The centre of Bulwell lies in a valley along the River Leen. The Bog area beside the Leen, known for over 900 years as "Bulwell Bogs", has been set aside as a place for children to play, paddle and fish.

After an 1872 attempt by the lord of the manor to enclose the land around the Bogs, the people of Bulwell staged a peaceful protest, massing in hundreds to protect their common land. Described in the official records as "impeccably well behaved and peaceable to a man; indeed rather joyous of spirit!" the people of Bulwell marched a short distance before enjoying lunch by the river. Thereafter the crowd is said to have "dispersed quietly and as directed with no further disturbance," later winning the fight to designate the land for the "pleasure and leisure of the people of Bulwell".

The whole Bogs area was set to be demolished in 2002 to make way for a road bridge and transport interchange for buses, trams, taxis and trains. Fierce local opposition produced a campaign to prevent the plans, which the City Council eventually scrapped. With help from local community groups and residents, the facilities at Bulwell Bogs were instead upgraded in 2003 to produce a bigger play-park, a safer paddling pool and a cleaner feel, and won a Green Flag Award in 2004 for work done to regenerate the area.

Bulwell Market

Bulwell Park. Wildlife in the city. Can I see Sleek hiding in those trees?

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Help yourselves....too many for me 😋😋😋

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280

Evening all still windy and very wet here

Toni a mega breakfast.. I just had the egg and hash browns..😁oh and a cupcake.. thankyou

I had a lovely sort of photo frame with gds and her fiancé photos in and wooden letter saying love you..that was from our eldest gd in London .delivered yesterday.. .a plant from our eldest son ..and a voucher for a meal from our youngest....Niamh facetimed and want to give me a card she made.. 😁middle gd text a nice message

Our Aidan would be wishing us all happy mothers day..like you say he us wuth his mum now xx

Joan I saw the Dr.. I know .😯.she even examined me...I hope you are all OK xx

Kath yes I'm getting there thankyou x

I am loving how they let children play in the Bullwell bog..and that they have saved it and made a play area there..

Glad dad us OK ..its a worry when you can't get hold of them xx

Mike we have ti order online it all went smoothly for months then it would recognise my login ..that technology for you ..hope you get sorted xx

Right I'm off

Love to all

Xxxxxcc

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton

Morning!

Barbara yes Aidan is with his own Mum and MIL now hopefully all well and together. He used to wish us happy Mother's Day every year God bless him.

You did well! Wow! I thought you probably would having been 'Mum' to so many!🙂

Egg and hash browns is plenty and of course a cupcake!😋

Kath that was Sleek in the trees she got out of her cat pushchair and ran over to see what was there. We had lovely weather too didn't we? She loved the bogs hoping to catch a fish, but no luck yesterday for her!

Personally i enjoyed the market as you know I always like the chance to shop☺️

We must go to Bulwell again methinks when the real shopping area is open. At least the market was, being outside.

What a worry your dad is! You must have been beside yourself and ready to send Anita round! Still at least he's independent which is a good thing, but one fall (in that wind) and it could have taken his independence right away!🙄 Sleek is going to sneak a peek at what he gets up to and report back to you.

What a nightmare Mike! I do hope the surgery will suggest something a bit more useful for you in the longer run. I got new landline handsets when we moved house nearly 5 years ago to this bungalow. Really helped because it has hands free so i can listen but not crick my neck which i used to have to.

My sister uses some sort of national prescription service which works ok(ish) so there are others.

lets us know how you get on.

Morning Joan and Sue too Everyone is very well here today Charley popped outside with her card - Lucy and she got me those cupcakes (vegan) and Tia arrived after work (animals need looking after on Sundays too as we know!) in torrential rain with some flowers. Hope you are both well? ((())) xxx

😋 I'm getting all 'eastery'!

• dachshund

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) that town looks nice photo's thank you for the Dachshunds Lexi is the same colour as the cream one. Love to Chris ((())) Anita ((())) and Val ((())) you think you can till do things but it's so easy to fall over love to your Dad ((()))

.Barbara ((())) is your leg still painful ((()) love to Mr B ((())) your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((()) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni ((())) that's gone quick 5 years since you moved in. Yes that carer is one of Sue's favourites. love to Paul ((())) Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) Lucy ((())) Tia ((())) Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Mike ((())) we use a service from the doctor's called the pod you can do it with a land line phone there is music playing but some times I have been number 45 they get through them quick good luck ((())) love to Elliott ((()))

love to Bill ((()))Chris ((())) Carol ((())) Mig ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty

Morning everyone, I had quite a good sleep last night and didn't wake up soaked in sweat.

Joan, I can never remember which is which between Lexi and Pepper. But those two Dachshund were so adorable, I couldn't resist posting them for you. So pleased you liked them

Barbara, I know we always miss our Aidan but it's really difficult on days like yesterday. But I find comfort in my faith and the bible's teachings about death. He is always in my heart. I hope you hear about your MRI soon.

Toni, I'm pleased that Madame Sleekipus enjoyed the Bulwell Bogs. Yes, we must visit that market again. I have quite a few places we could visit. Ilkeston in Derbyshire, Wollaton in Nottingham, Melton Mowbray in Leicestershire. But I think it has to be Wollaton. Wollaton is a suburb and former parish in the western part of Nottingham, England. Wollaton has two Wards in the City of Nottingham (Wollaton East and Lenton Abbey and Wollaton West) with a total population as at the 2011 census of 24,693. It is home to Wollaton Hall with its museumdeer park, lake, walks and golf course. The remains of Roman kilns, crematoria and coins have been found in Wollaton. The centre of Wollaton village, the original heart of the suburb, has remained relatively unchanged over the past few hundred years and is dominated by the Admiral Rodney public house and the Anglican church of St Leonard dating back to the 13th century. It also features historic cottages, an Elizabethan dovecote and a water pump. The village was incorporated into the City of Nottingham in 1933, with urban development starting shortly afterwards. Most areas of the former parish were built-up by the end of the 1960s.

Wollaton Hall is one of the country’s finest Grade I listed Elizabethan buildings and the largest dedicated Natural History Museum in the county.

Wild deer

There are over 90 red and 120 fallow deer at Wollaton. These wild deer are incredible to see, though during the rutting season (September and October), stags are protective of hinds, and during calving season (June and July) deer tend to their young, so we ask the public maintain a safe distance at all times.

Lake

The Lake is the perfect place to walk around and look out for local wildlife. The birds spotted in this area include jay, nuthatch, sparrowhawk and even ring-necked parakeets. At the far side of the lake there is a false Bridge that was a boathouse designed to enhance the landscape. There have been sightings of northern pike in the lake.

The Camellia House is the oldest cast-iron-framed glass house in Europe, from 1823, and is the only remaining one of its kind in this country. Situated within the Formal Gardens, this is an ideal space for pre-reception drinks and photographs at weddings. The Camellia House is open most days for you to relax in, with spectacular views over the Park and Lake, and the camellia flowers usually bloom between autumn to late spring.

There are nature trails, play areas, Botanical gardens. and den building. Too much to include here but if you'd like to see more, visit https://wollatonhall.org.uk/

you won't want to leave. Tell Sleek no fishing, remember the Pike in the lake!! You wouldn't want to fall prey to HIM!

Big, isn't he.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Mike1

Mike ((())) we use a service from the doctor's called the pod you can do it with a land line phone there is music playing but some times I have been number 45 they get through them quick good luck ((())) love to Elliott ((()))

It has just taken me well over half an hour to order my repeat prescription for delivery on Friday, I asked the girl when the new on-line system would be up and running and her response was to ask whether I was on the list to be notified by email. That was the first I had heard of it so she added me on to it!

Had a nice run out to the garden centre with my baby sister this morning although I am paying for it now as I had to sit upright in her car and in my wheelchair for the best part of an hour and a half, never mind at least I got out for the first time in umpteen weeks. Got a nice apple tree (Russet, my favourite), some bark chippings a yellowy-green plant and a bit of trellis, all I have to do now is to find the energy to crawl around the garden to finish it off which will not be today!!

• barbara12

Evening all

Toni I feel all Eastery...😁you can feel spring in the air 😁the daffodils that my neice planted around 28 years ago are just ready to flower 🌼🌸xx

Joan my leg is sore..just hoping it's not my knee...have pepper abd Lexi had a ride out on your scooters lately..😁love to all of you xx

Mike what a nice change to get to the GC..we have tried ours a couple if times but the queues are awful..glad they are going to email you when the site is up and running xx

Kath I think we should all hitch a ride in Tonis mobile home and visit these places..they do look lovely

Loving the iron frame Camellia house xx

Love to all

Xxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023

Evening all hope all you mothers had a good Mother’s Day yesterday. On Saturday our youngest visited to bring me a gift and a card for Mother’s Day . the gift was a lovely framed scratch art picture done by her this is her new hobby. Cue for picture

She also brought me flowers . Miss Cookie is not friends me today because she got shouted at earlier, because I was stroking her and she didn’t want me to so went to bite me. typical tortoiseshell attitude. Mind you she will be my friend when she wants her breakfast in the morning. 😀😂

good news today I managed to get an appointment with my hairdressers on the 12th April, the day they we be allowed to reopen if all goes to plan I was looking at their website and found they are taking bookings from the 12th already.

youngest also took some beautiful photos of Cookie cue more pictures

Knitting is going ok but not sure if I should continue to knit 0-3 months that I have started or to unpick and do next size up 3-6 months I’m still thinking about it at the moment.

I don’t know about you but I am really getting fed up now with all the Covid restrictions it seems people are getting more and more arrogant as time goes on. All the be kind we had last year seem to have dwindled. All people seem to want to do now is argue.

I must go now but before I do I want to just give my flamingo charity cards a little plug, I have struggled this year with them because of all the restrictions. But am now trying my hardest to drum up some online business through my independent partner website. Which is www.flamingo Paperie.co.uk/web/carolreespartridge please have a look if you would like I also can send you a new 2021 catalogue of the range if that is easier to browse through. All you need to do is let me know via a private post your address and I will mail one to you. You can order 2ways . 1 order from the website online or 2 contact me and let me know the catalogue number of what you want and I can order for you and you can pay me through bank transfer.

love and sparkles to you all

❤️❤️❤️🌈🌈🌈

Stay positive always👍xx
  • frogmorton

Morning!

Yes definitely springy and eastery Barbara! My daffs are all out....hope they survive the building of the raised beds🤔

It could indeed be your knee who knows or even oddly enough your hip could be in trouble again often hips cause knees to hurt don't they? But the sooner you find out the sooner it can be sorted.

We can certainly go out in the motorhome. the bed is up permanently so we can all rest if we want to😁

Carol great pics of our little pusskin Miss Cookie! She looks so sweet in the photos....ah yes my Mum had a tortie they can indeed be rather feisty, but you have to be boss!

Not nice that people are or have lost that nice kindness spirit we all had this time last year is it? I also think people are out far to much the car parks are full the roads are as busy so what is going on??? I suppose they've all just had enough of it all😕

I wouldn't know what size to knit and think you should do 3-6 and if you have time and wool a 0-3 as well afterwards.

Clever daughter enjoying doing that sketch art and lovely to have had flowers too, but I suspect teh visit was the most important thing🤗

Mike well done finally getting through. Our Drs has an online system now, but I still collect mine from the pharmacist (or rather Paul does mostly). I'm glad you will now be kept up to date on progress.

Lovely to get to the GC just think one day you'll be able to have a cuppa when you go there too (if they have a cafe?) no rush to get the garden finished. I bet your sister enjoyed being with her bro and having a natter. O-oh! it's Tuesday so you'll have another 2 hours talking today!

Kath Sleek loves her trips out especially in her back pack or push chair. She likes her new name and says you always call her Madame Sleekipuss!

Wollaton was fun too I loved the glasshouse and the lake too until Sleek decided to try to catch a fish and fell paws-first in!🙄 Soon dried her off though didn't we? I think it was the pike she was after!!! We found anice cafe and she soon recovered after a fish paste butty.

Very historic Wollaton I loved the Hall so beautiful and we found the gift shop so I could do a little shopping 🛒 I love my souvenirs!

You have quite a list of places to take us....if any of the trips are longer than a day Barbara says I can get teh motorhome out!

Morning Joan. Poor Sue she must have been so worried about her favourite carer being so ill. Did she manage to get a card or something passed on to her? This virus has a lot to answer for😫

Breakfast then?

Hmmm...

🤔

vegan/ veggie bacon butty!

• dachshund

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) thank you for the photo's I have never been to all the places. Love to Chris ((())) Anita ((())) Val ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Mike ((())) yes I like russet apples how long will it take before the tree has some on it. Love to Elliott (((()))

Carol ((())) lovely photo's of cookie fancy going to bite you she was trying it on to see what you did. Lovely scratch art photo. Love to Mr T ((())) I'm glad you got fitted in the hair dressers.

Barbara ((())) yes they say if you have a pain in your hip it's from your knee ((())) love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni ((())) sue is not allowed to give or receive anything one of them gave us some flowers for Christmas and a mother carer reported her to the office we did not like that we thought it was kind of her to get them for us.

Love to Paul ((())) Charley and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) Lucy ((())) Tia ((())) Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((())).

love to Bill ((())) Chris ((())) Mig ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty

Morning everybody, wasn't Wollaton Hall beautiful, but I wouldn't want to meet that huge Pike. During the deer rut, the local paper published photos of idiots posing really close to the stags - very dangerous. Of course if someone gets attacked by a stag (or even a female protecting her young) the poor animal has to be shot!

Carol, my daughter Emily has a tortie called Miss Pond after a character from Dr Who. She is very grumpy.

As you can see, she isn't very welcoming to birds visiting HER bird house. Just look at that sulk. Beautiful painting. 😊

Joan, I'm so pleased that you enjoy the places we visit.

Barbara, we have some Daffs, but all the wind and showers have flattened them all. Would Ibuprofen gel relieve some of the pain in your leg?

Toni, so sleek tried to catch the Pike! It would have swallowed her whole. Naughty Madame Sleekipus. I bet she enjoyed the adventure playground. I'll just finish scoffing my bacon butty, then we'll start our journey. Ilkeston is a town in the Borough of ErewashDerbyshire, England, on the River Erewash, from which the borough takes its name, with a population at the 2011 census of 38,640. Its major industries, coal mining, iron working and lace making/textiles, have now all but disappeared.

The town is close to both Derby and Nottingham and is near the M1 motorway and the border with Nottinghamshire. The eastern boundary of Ilkeston is only two miles from Nottingham's western edge and it is part of the Nottingham Urban Area.

Market Square. Ilkeston Market Place is the site of a Charter fair. The fair celebrated its 760th anniversary in 2012, the Charter being granted by King Henry III in 1252. This makes the fair older than Nottingham's famous Goose Fair and it is one of the largest street fairs in the Country, indeed in Europe.

The present fair developed from two separate fairs, as another 'agricultural hiring fair' or 'Statutes Fair' was traditionally held on Wakes week in October as well as the original Charter Fair which was held on the Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (15 August). The two fairs were combined in 1888 and the one Charter Fair has been held in October ever since.

Since 1931 the fair has been officially opened by the Mayor - first of Ilkeston and since 1974 of Erewash - on the Fair Thursday at noon with the Town Clerk (Chief Executive) reading the Charter from the steps of the Town Hall.

Helter Skelter at the Charter Fair

Bennerley Viaduct, a 1,452-foot (443 m) long, 61-foot (19 m) high, wrought iron structure which still crosses the Erewash valley just to the north east of Ilkeston. Once threatened with demolition, it is now a Grade 2 listed building, though the removal of the embankments at either end have left it an oddly isolated free-standing structure surrounded by fields. Following a long-running local campaign, in March 2013 Transport Secretary Patrick McLoughlin announced that Ilkeston was one of three sites 'most likely' to get a new station as part of the 'New Stations Fund', costing £5 million and sited close to the old Ilkeston Junction station. On the 15 May 2013 it was announced this new station would be built, which would be named Ilkeston station. It has two platforms, which can take six trains per hour with up to six passenger cars and includes waiting shelters. A 150 space car park, cycle storage, bus stop, drop off point and taxi rank are also on site. The station is unmanned with automated ticket machines and was originally scheduled to open by the end of 2014.

Due to flood prevention work and the discovery of great crested newts, the opening was significantly delayed. The new station opened on 2 April 2017.

Ilkeston skyline

• Mike1

I didn't get to chat with my Home Help as much as I usually do today, when she arrived I was on my knees in the back garden digging a hole for my new apple tree with a trowel as that is all I had. It took me about half an hour to dig it in between rests and shortly after she arrived I was pooped and had to sit down, luckily she made me a brew so we did manage a chat for 10 minutes or so, Vixen managed to find the hole and decided to sit in it! After a further half hour I had it planted with some bark chippings scattered around. No sooner than my Home Help departed I had a shower followed by a brew and 40 winks! Apparently it will take between 2 and 7 years for my Russet apple tree to bear fruit but I may get some this Autumn and stick them on with sellotape. Surprisingly my back is screaming at the moment!

• barbara12

Hello all

Had some awful news this morning, my neices mum has died she is my youngest brothers ex wife..it was very sudden and at home, she was 62..I can't even hug my neice...😪

Carol they are lovely photos of Cookie..she sounds like the big black cat next door to ys let's you stroke him then bites when had enough xx

Toni thankyou for the bacon buttys..I added brown sauce 😋

Not a clue if this knee is referred pain,I did have that in my left one..I think your mobile home will be perfect 👌xx

Joan how sad that you can't give or receive presents from your carers..suppose it's protecting you really love to all of you xx

Mike I can't knee anymore so I take my hat off to you ..you did well there..xx

Kath how lovely us Ilkeston many years since we went there. So nice to be reminded of it..

I have tried the gel but sadly nothing ..I hope your sciatic is easing ...xx

Love to everyone 💕

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton

Morning!

Mike that really made me laugh!! definitely you must sellotape some russets on until you tree bears it's own fruit! Seriously though very well done getting it planted. I think Vixen approved! I think you dereserved the cuppa from your home help and the shower and 40 winks too🙂

Joan I suspect the not giving gifts is to prevent favouritism or any kind of 'financial abuse', but I always thought it was ok to send/receive very very small gifts if it was recorded in your notes so it was obvious no-one was up to anything. That's a shame, but I'm sure Sue gets messages passed on. Love to you both ((())) xxx

Barbara I expected you to add brown sauce to your bacon butty! I should have left it out!

Gosh what dreadful news😕 That will be your favourite niece's Mum? I hope she is ok and very soon you can give her the biggest hug ever. Could you send her anything from that man who is so clever with his words. A feather maybe?

Let's hope your MRI comes through soon at least.

Morning Kath I want to go back to Ilkeston for the Charter Fair in October! I loved Goose Fair. Sleek says she is going with her friends and has already hired a minibus! That's Mrs Darcey, Miss Cookie, Tommy Thumb, Rosie, Jessie and Oreo, Vixen (if she'd like to join them) and if she can 'tol a rayt' her by then - Winnie. She herself is driving holding a full PSV license.

Miss Pond does indeed have a good grumpy face. If she wants to she would be welcome to go on the trip in October.

Loved the new train station you know I adore train journeys I really do. Obviously just now isn't ideal with this virus.

Just so I know do we pronounce Erewash 'E Re wosh'?

Madame Sleekipuss is sat right next to me at the dining table on 'her' chair (Paul's - he gets fluffy trousers all the time!) she's just back from yours and has amended my Saturday shopping delivery to include a vast supply of......cockles!🙄

Love of course to Carol Mr T and Miss Cookie😘

It's icy here so I am getting the ready brek on

• dachshund

Good morning everyone

. I have my haircut on the 12'th of April if they open by then.

Kath ((())) Emily's ((())) cat miss pond looks like she's the boss. love to Chris ((())) Val ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Barbara ((())) I'm so sorry you had sad news thinking of you and your niece at this sad time ((())) love to Mr B ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Mike ((()) I hope the birds don't have the apples from the tree love to Elliott ((()))

Toni ((())) it was only the carer that came with carer that brought the flowers that said she would tell the office Lyn who brought the flowers was was upset about her doing it I don't think the boss would have minded.

Love to Paul ((())) Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) Tia ((())) Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Love to Bill ((()))Chris ((())) Carol ((())) Mig ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty

Joan, how lovely, you will look grand with your haircut. I agree that Miss Pond is a grumpy pusskin. Not like our Bonkers Bertie, here his is in his favourite box. Maybe we should call him Bonkers Bertie Box. A very sweet boy.

Barbara, how sad to think your Niece's mum passing away. I hope she was able to see her before she passed. 🙏

Toni, It is indeed Erra wash and not ear wash. I knew you'd want to go back in October. We could perhaps go to Goose Fair first then Ilkeston two weeks later.But today we are going to Sneinton (pronounced "Snenton") is a village and suburb of NottinghamEngland. The area is bounded by Nottingham city centre to the west, Bakersfield to the north, Colwick to the east, and the River Trent to the south. Sneinton now lies within the unitary authority of Nottingham, having been part of Nottinghamshire until 1877.

Sneinton has existed as a village since at least 1086, but remained relatively unchanged up until the industrial era, when the population dramatically expanded. Further social change in the post-war period left Sneinton with a multicultural character. Sneinton residents of note include William Booth, founder of The Salvation Army, and mathematician George Green, who worked Green's Mill at the top of Belvoir Hill.

Green's Windmill is a restored and working 19th century tower windmill in SneintonNottingham. Built in the early 1800s for the milling of wheat into flour, it remained in use until the 1860s. It was renovated in the 1980s and is now part of a science centre, which together have become a local tourist attraction.

Colwick Woods from the hilltop, looking south-west, with Colwick Racecourse beyond.

Statue of William Booth, on Notintone Place, where he was born.

Another famous son of Sneinton was the bare knuckle boxing champion, William Thompson, better known as Bendigo. A public house in the area still proudly bears a statue of the figure above its door, though it is now named The Hermitage.

Lydia Beardsall, mother of D.H. Lawrence, came from Sneinton and married Arthur Lawrence in St Stephen's on 27 December 1875.

A more recent Sneinton celebrity is the film director Shane Meadows who lived in Sneinton and filmed some of his early works partly in Sneinton, including Small Time in 1996..

Sneinton Market Place and Victoria Leisure Centre.

And finally.

The Shop at Sneinton Market

This is the Sneinton Market Avenues' treasure trove that stocks beautiful trinkets, items and gifts for all occasions. This is home to many handmade items from around the East Midlands from talented craftspeople.

• barbara12

Evening all

Will keep this short have had 2 long facetimes wuth my neice..the poor girl is broken 😪thankyou all xx

Toni yes it's my favorite neice ..she is in peices..bless it was so sudden and she hadn't been ill..xx

Joan it will feel so nice having your hair cut..some normality abd more shoos open xx

Kath I think this is what's making my neice feel worse..she had seen her but only briefly at Christmas and on facetime xx

Right I'm off to bed early

Love to all

Xxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton

Awww Barbara😕 the poor girl. What could she do? She wasn't to know. We think we have forever - all of us look at our Aidan gone at 58! I'm sure she told her Mum that she loved her every single time she facetimed. I think I might start telling my children/families more that l love them and am proud of them though so they don't carry the burden your niece is🤔 and I might write a message like my Mum left us 'kids'.

I hope you got some sleep you must feel drained after that emotional day supporting your favourite niece and today might well be similar ((()))

Joan so it was just a stirring carer was it? No I bet the boss wouldn't have minded and would just have recorded it in her notes. Really we are human beings and small acts of kindness is at the heart of our humanity. Anyway love to you and Sue ((()))

Mike I hope you are recovered from your digging exploits? what does Vixen think?

Morning Kath. We enjoyed Sneinton. Sleek looking for mice on the windmill stairs bless her! Nowhere to fish 🐟 although she was interested in the mention of the river Trent🙄

I was straight in the shop at the market and found some lovely souvenirs forme and some for Kari.

How many famous people came from/had connections with Sneinton?! I never saw 'Small Time' (Charley was born in 1995 so I would have been busy working full-time too) I might see if i can watch it this weekend if I can find it.

Yes in October we can do Goose fair first and then 2 weeks later to the charter fair😊 Sleek can go on teh rides though not me!

Love of course to Carol Mr T and Cookie and Chris (catlady) who we haven't seen in a while but i know still peeps in. She's still recovering from her bad time healthwise.

We have a foggy day here and it's set to be overcast all day🙄

potato pancakes!

• dachshund

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) how are your aches and pains I hope they have calmed down a bit (()) love to Chris ((()))Anita ((())) Val ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Barbara ((())) I feel so sorry for your niece is she blaming her self because she was not there no body knows when things like that happen look at the good times ((()) love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((()) and Niamh ((())) your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni (((())) yes Aidan said about not feeling well and he thought he would be sent to hospital but he didn't want to go then we never saw him on here again I miss him he was always there ((())) love to Paul ((())) Charley ((())) Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) Lucy ((())) Tia ((())) Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

love to Bill (((())) Chris ((())) Carol ((())) Mig ((())) Mike ((())))

take care
    joan xx
  • Mike1

Mike I hope you are recovered from your digging exploits? what does Vixen think?

Just about recovered now although knees and hands extra painful yesterday - there's a surprise - I am just trying to build myself up to go out and get some of the weed out of the pond so the fish (Fred and Ginger) can move around more easily but I am putting it off a bit, maybe I will have another brew first!! Vixen is quite happy with the tidied up garden and even did roly-poly's in the bark chippings yesterday.

• Kitty

Joan, thank you. I just get a twinge but this arm chair of mine is so uncomfortable.

Barbara, I'm so sorry your niece is really suffering. All the more important for her to Facetime you.

Mike, when you've finished your garden would you come and o mine please? Vixen would love it.

Toni, I've never seen Small Times either. But there were a lot of famous/notorious folk from Sneinton. So today I think we might visit Elvaston Castle. Elvaston Castle is a stately home in ElvastonDerbyshire, England. The Gothic Revival castle and surrounding parkland is run and owned by Derbyshire County Council as a country park known as, Elvaston Castle Country Park. The country park has 200 acres (0.81 km2) of woodlands, parkland and formal gardens.

The centrepiece of the estate is the Grade II* Listed Elvaston Castle. The castle has been neglected and is in need of restoration. Due to its condition, the building is not open to the public, and since 2008 has been listed on the Buildings at Risk Register. Derbyshire County Council estimates the castle and estate requires significant investment for both restoration and to support its longer-term maintenance. In 2017 The Elvaston Castle and Gardens Trust was created to manage the estate once these works, which are already underway, are completed.

Elvaston Castle

The clock tower

Part of the gardens

St Bartholemews church

garden view

Secret garden

ducks on the lake

caravans

During World War II, the house was turned into a teacher training college after the original college in Derby was evacuated.

The college vacated the house in 1947, after which time it remained mostly empty for the next two decades until its sale, starting a steady decline that continues to this day.[