Val's Cafe

Options

Comments

• bosh
    bosh Member Posts: 4,113
    Options

Hi Kathleen I am in my 40s, but I have a young looking face apparently, lol. Nice recipe. My friend who more or less disappeared off the face of the Earth has promised to phone soon so that’s a good thing at least. She’s a nice lady but she is very set in her ways and can be a bit high-handed at times, she told me that she once that she’s stopped eating fruit completely because she’s rebelling against her doctor, so I just say “that’s nice”, because that’s the easiest thing to do with her, lol. She has some kind of brain condition not mental health, but more neurological, and her doctor said it’s essential for her to eat bananas because of the potassium, so she ate banana pancakes for awhile, lol, now as I say she stopped eating fruit completely. I know I don’t eat enough of it and I’m trying to rectify that but complete fruit abstinence?? She’s a vegetarian, She eats so much cream, butter and fat, what can I say? It’s very strange indeed, I think cats are more sensible even though I am very much allergic and really a pet person myself, lol, no offence. Hi Joan yep maybe she’s worried about certain things but she’s feeling better today anyway so that’s good take care.xx

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,463
    edited 11. Sep 2021, 05:30
    Options

Mike I am very very pleased you 'listened' to my advice!😊 I know you would have been telling any one of us exactly the same and even happier that you have been able to write it all down ready for the Drs to see it on Monday morning. No 8 am phone calls needed what a good idea. Now fingers crossed you get referred🤞

We are getting bits missing in our orders again aren't we Kitty? But i am hearing this is the case in supermarkets too. Distribution issues.

You can have toast and tea! I love toast😋

Mike is too young to be in agony for ever! He could go 20 or even 30 years a long time yet I know you agree. I am certain Reshmi is the youngest I am in my 50s.

I am definitely the youngest at choir🙄 I am worried it might not last forever but we are recruiting....any offers?

Sleek isn't wrong she likes to get her orders in early. She took a load of clothes to the British Cat foundation and the rest went in a new wardrobe.

I'll have me some of that vegan gumbo yes please!!! Some for Kari too please.

Enjoy your day off.

Joan guess what? I was picking Lucy up from Macdonald's and P asked for an apple pie! I took it round when I got home (my lovely neighbour was there too in her chair ramp at the door) and P ate the lot! GONE! we were very pleased. Then as we were going another neighbour arrived with loads of flowers! The builders are close to being done, but waiting for things to arrive like glass I think it is and doing bits and pieces. Maybe a week or so? Did you have a trip out yesterday? ((())) xxx

Oh dear dinosaur stickers on babies Reshmi😁 my sister covered me from head to foot in baby cream so slightly better than that? Maybe Lord A needs a sticker book. Brilliant! Thank you.

I am glad the Grandbabies make your Mum feel happier so you will be happier too.

My sister Kari is allergic to cats so she has Mrs Darcey who is a Devon Rex. She is in trouble if she visits people with 'normal' cats though with her breathing. YOu have my sympathy you can love them virtually.

To be fair when I first gave up meat (pre vegan days) I ate loads of cheese and butter. Your friend sounds a bit stubborn refusing to eat bananas because the Dr wants her to🙄 Yes sounds like you cope well.

Love to Barbara - those bloomin eyes of yours not good again?

Oh just to check in - how is your brother doing? I saw mine yesterday I had to help him tinker with his car😐️

Maybe we will hear from Carol today. I think she is ok has been on facebook at least.

Aidan's usual:

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

My supermarket deliveries are getting worse, yesterday I had missing items and totally unsuitable substitutions, the delivery driver disappeared before I could give them back to him so I am stuck with them and they will end up in the bin unless I can find someone to give them to. My baby sister works in Asda and she said that their deliveries are getting even more few and far between and the staff are getting increasingly fed up with the moans of shoppers and the verbal abuse that they are still getting. I am even thinking of having a £30 taxi to go to the nearest supermarket in my wheelchair for a bit of "normal" retail therapy but whenever I build myself up to book a taxi I change my mind after a brew!!

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,944
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) I hope your Tesco's comes on time ((())) love to Chris ((())) and Anita ((()) and Val ((())) and Emily ((()) and your Dad ((()))

Barbara ((())) have a good day ((())) love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni ((())) I find your post up above the post I did the day before. Have a good weekend and enjoy your coffee when you go out ((())) love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

love to Carol ((())) Chris ((())) and Reshmi ((())) and Mike ((())) and vixen ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • bosh
    Options

Hi btjk , The baby cream thing definitely sounds worse lol, mum is definitely happier after seeing the grandbabies. I told her not to cook too much for the lazy bil, reminding her that she’s already tired and that he needs to learn some time and she listened! That was great she doesn’t always but I’m glad she did on this occasion very much so 😄. I am watching people eat a cream tea on the television may have to fast forward, lol. I’m finally going out with family , well not access family, just basic family, lol, for a restaurant meal on Tuesday of next week unless some problem crops up again, which can always happen with my dad, it looks like will probably get to go fingers crossed. He he had some very silly obsessions, one is the Bengali cultural society here in Reading in which he is quite involved it’s just a silly society and hosts gatherings at certain times of the year, my mum and I get angry because obviously Covid is still a concern anyway hopefully it won’t happen and even if it does, mum and I are definitely not going, regardless of how angry he gets. Hope you all have a nice day , Mike don’t eat too many cream cakes, lol, okay guys take care. Xx

• bosh
    edited 11. Sep 2021, 13:22
    Options

Ok pressed wrong button, lol, so ill ask T, tea or no added sugar hot choc with soya milk? Xx

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options

Hello all

Think I will rest my eyes every other day at least

Toni isn't it good to see someone close who is poorly eating..take me back to my mum and dad and trying to temp them

Pics of the garden please when it's finished xx

Joan Mr B us a one off..yes I rember him airing his trousers but the window 🤣in the red hot weather he wears a coat..says its to carry his keys 🙄hope you are all OK xx

Mike good fir you getting the form filled in, I do hope they can offer some help ..you might alresdy know about these .. but I use the microwaveable neck things I gave forgot the name..they are really good xx

Reshmi grandchildren lift us has well ..its nice to your mum can look forward to them coming hope your weekend is a goid one xx

Kath I have a field day with spell check especially all the cheeky words 😜 thankyou fir another goid recipe xx

Love to all

Xxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Morning!

Mike I had to go into Tesco the other day and it was ok actually I still kept my mask on and hand sanitised like mad, but I really enjoyed it! It was like a day out😁 I think now is the time to try it and go for a quiet day so not a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. I think you'll be glad you went. Can you freeze the items you don't need? Then pass them on to people as and when? There were gaps on the shelves though and I think we are being told shortages are the new normal🙄

Joan i am glad you found me! We had a village breakfast yesterday morning - bacon baps etc (I did the washing up!) P ate a bacon bap so that's good. Coffee out today what with taking Lucy to and from work and the village do we didn't get one yesterday. Hope you and Sue are both well? My Lovely neighbour has gone into respite - her idea she thinks her husband needs a break.

Reshmi I do hope the meal with immediate family not the excess (🤭) goes ahead and Dad does not muck things up. You and your Mum could do with it. I imagine the Bengali Society gatherings are huge? With COVID you would be anxious.

As Barbara says Grandbabies do cheer Grandparents up and if it's not for too long Aunties enjoy them too😊

Cream teas on the telly?! Eeek! Reshmi walk away from the TV walk away😁

Kath I hope your 'day off' was good and you feel rested today. Guess what? P has your walker AND caddy! Don't think she can use it much. Is Sleek telling you much about P? She visits her now too checks on her syringe driver and makes her eat.

Barbara it is so hard to eat when you feel poorly but not eating makes you feel worse vicious circle isn't it? My Mum really struggled bless her too. ((())) for us all.

P had a bacon bap with one of her arty friends yesterday morning which she enjoyed. BOTH I mean!

Yes rest your eyes every other day see if it helps a bit.

Mr B needs a bag like Roy off Coronation street then he won't need to carry his keys!! Can you imagine that?😁

Hope your Grandbaby Niamh has been this weekend and lifted your spirits too

• Mike1
    Options

The breakfast photo looks good, fried bread missing though and a bit of Hogs Pudding, I made do with a can of All Day breakfast this morning!!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Barbara ((())) yes I wear my coat to carry my keys and dog titbits. How are your niece ((())) and her fiancé ((())) yes you rest your eyes when you can ((())) love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni ((())) that's lovely P eating a pie ((())) Lucy ((()))works hard ((())) sorry about your coffee love to P ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers (((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((())

Mike ((())) have you heard of the travel vouchers you can have from the council you have them for a year and then every year if you want them ((()))

Reshmi ((()))have a good day take care

love to Kath ((())) and family ((())) Chris ((())) Carol ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

Morning, I'm feeling fed up today so shan't say much. All are OK, and I've begun to add Coleslaw to all my meals. Tat's it really. But will find something nice to share from the Olive website.

Vegan burritos

30 Minutes Serves 4Easy

A colourful, vegan burrito recipe, rammed with tomatoes, black beans, sweetcorn, lime, coriander, avocado and red chilli. It's a super lunch idea, ready in 30 minutes

Ingredients

• quinoa 150g
    • olive oil
    • onion 1, chopped
    • garlic 2 cloves, crushed
    • ground cumin 1 tsp
    • cayenne pepper ½-1 tsp
    • vine tomatoes 2, roughly chopped
    • black beans 400g tin, rinsed and drained
    • sweetcorn 200g tinned or frozen and defrosted
    • lime 1, juiced
    • coriander a small bunch, chopped
    • avocado 1 ripe, peeled, stoned and roughly chopped
    • red chilli 1 small, seeded and finely chopped
    • flour tortillas 4 large

Method

• STEP 1
    • Cook the quinoa in boiling salted water for 20-25 minutes until tender. Pour through a sieve and leave to drain thoroughly while you make the filling.
    • STEP 2
    • Heat a drizzle of oil in a frying pan and fry the onion until soft. Add the garlic and spices and fry for another minute. Add 1 tomato, the black beans and sweetcorn and cook for 5 minutes before stirring in the drained quinoa, half the lime juice and half the coriander. Cook for a few minutes until the quinoa has warmed through.
    • STEP 3
    • Gently mix the remaining tomato, lime juice and coriander with the avocado and chilli. Season well. Pile the quinoa mix into the middles of the wraps, top with the avocado mix. Fold in the sides, then roll up into burritos to eat. Wrap in foil and cut in half if the burritos are well stuffed and you need to keep them held together.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Mike1
    Options

Mike ((())) have you heard of the travel vouchers you can have from the council you have them for a year and then every year if you want them ((()))

Thanks Joan, thanks but all I can get down here is a bus pass which is not much use as none of the buses are wheelchair accessible! Anyway I get the higher rate of PIP and as the mobility element is to cover travel costs I would not claim anything else. Thanks again.

• bosh
    Options

Hi all, I’m not feeling good today, maybe approaching the change, I don’t know, so like K I’m keeping it short and sweet. BCs affairs are indeed huge, I’m practically asleep now, have a good Sunday, take care.

• frogmorton
    Options

Morning everyone

Mike the fried bread and hogs pudding are always available just optional extras!!! A tin of all day breakfast will do. We quite often take them for Paul and the vegan sausage and beans for me in the motorhome. They are pretty good I think.

I managed to get outside yesterday to issue my orders to the garden help (Paul) and potter a bit but today my back is telling me off 🙄

We used to have travel tokens here or a bus pass either or, but the tokens were something minimal wouldn't get you to the supermarket every week for definite.

Morning Joan I hope you and Sue are well? Did I tell you my lovely neighbour is in respite because she was so worried about her husband with him needing that hip replacement and being in pain. Going to check out P today her daughter and Son in law have been this weekend so giving them some space apart from the bacon butty on Saturday!. ((())) xxx

Kitty my friend are you ok? Sleek says she isn't too pleased but is like this 😐️lips sealed. However she was very happy yesterday because I had planted some catmint!!! She was straight in there😊. These along with salvia and lavender for the edge where the wild rabbits might come because they don't like smelly plants and hopefully won't eat them all! Everything else is safely (I hope) in raised beds.

I love coleslaw I make my own with vegan mayo or 'pink' coleslaw which is the same but in a vinaigrette dressing. Got to be good for us raw veggies.

Thank you for the burritos they I will 100% make just full of health and colour 😋

Now Reshmi isn't feeling right either? Oh dear me😕 Looking back I did start to feel 'odd' in my 40s ask your Mum when she started hers because we do usually follow our Mums. I am sending you ((())) and hope you feel more yourself today.

I'll put the kettle on and make you a nice gentle cuppa

Sending love to Barbara - did your eyes benefit form a day off? I hope so and that all is well with you ((()))

eggy bread I used to LOVE this stuff!

• bosh
    Options

Hi Barbara it wasn’t too bad thanks hope you had a good one too.

hi Toni, I’m not feeling too bad today so far thanks. I know that the B society once had a picnic in the car park and at least one person got Covid person, The person I know of was a child, but this hasn’t stopped them, they’re going on and on having stupid gatherings and they don’t do any social distancing or take the necessary precautions at all. Thanks I did ask my mum about when she started having menopausal symptoms, she wasn’t in the best mood at the time so I left the topic alone. I meant to be having a blood test on Wednesday for menopause and some other stuff, last time the doc forgot to raise the form, so hope they get it sorted out today. Thanks for the tea and what a lovely teapot! Hi to turbo gran and Joan Hope you’re both okay? Nice and cold here in Reading at the moment let’s hope it lasts all day, lol. Lord A said that football practice was scary because a girl pushed him and then he cried, aww, bless. Tc. Xx.

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

I have found a garden maintenance company on our local council’s Trusted Traders list, so I have rung them and sent an email. I’m now waiting for them to contact me to arrange a quote for garden clearance. So I don’t know if I’ll get in today. Love to all.

Anita (glasses) and my beautiful cousin Jill met on the streets of Nottingham. Thought I’d share.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) I'm sorry you feel so fed up. Take care we think about you ((())) love to Chris ((())) and Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Toni ((())) I'm sorry about your back ((())) how long will it last for ((())) do you lie on the floor I tried that but I have a problem getting up after. Love to P ((())) love to the odd job man Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((())) that Lady ((()) cares about her Husband ((())) I hope they are not apart for too long ((()))

Mike ((())) we are on the highest mobility sue is in a wheelchair ((())) love to vixen ((()))

Reshmi ((())) I'm sorry things get on top of you take care

Love to Chris ((())) and Carol ((())) and Barbara and her family ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • bosh
    Options

Hi Kathleen nice picture thanks. Is it taken it a gay pride event or something like that? wasn’t hundred percent sure. Thanks J that’s very kind. What kind of herbal teas do you guys like? I can’t stand most of them but I do think the heath & heather apple and cardamom, I have turmeric tea to sometimes because it’s good for me but I have a turmeric rich diet anyway so I often don’t bother with the tea so much, sometimes I like it, but sometimes I feel it’s a bit of an acquired taste. okay K and Joan have a nice afternoon and take care, Reshmi.

• barbara12
    Options

Evening all

Toni I am going to get an eye test again but not sure if it will do any good abd next month should he the eye hospital

It's si nice to hear that P had visitors and enjoyed them and the food bless her..hope all is well with your family xx

Joan I think Toni us right Mr B needs a Roy's rolls bag 😅 I carry so much in my handbag it's gets heavier by the day xx

Reshmi you have done right getting blood test for the menopause something I never did ..mind you I wasn't that bad but I do think if I should have had tried hrt.. fir my joints xx

Kath it's nice to see a pic of Anita ..hope you get the gardener sorted ,something we would like but we don't have access to the back garden xx

Mike we can swop our bus pass for taxi vouchers..I don't think Mr B will be driving much longer so we are thinking about it xx

Today we had our lovely tree taken down..a 30 ft fir tree ..it had stared to lean ..we planted it 40 years ago 😪

Love to all

Xxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • barbara12
    Options

All gone now

Love
    Barbara
  • Mike1
    Options

Hi Barbara, nice to know that you can swap your bus pass for taxi vouchers, that sounds great but it is not something available down here.

I got a text from the surgery yesterday following up my E Consult that I sent in last Friday, it asked me to phone them to make an appointment. I was hopeful that I may get to see a GP at last so I did not mind the 20 minutes or so hanging on the phone, when I got through they said that the GP wanted me to make a phone appointment and the first slot available is next Monday! So I booked it, he will phone sometime between midday and 6pm! I have been very defensive about the GPs in my surgery during the pandemic and there have been several times during the past 18 months or so that I would have ordinarily made an appointment but have refrained from doing so; however it is now becoming a bit of a joke.

• frogmorton
    Options

Morning everyone 😊

Mike it's good to know they respond to the messages you can leave at least.

I too would be feeling very miffed that I can't get a Dr's appointment in person, but this is another step in the right direction. Well done snatching up the first available phone consult. You can always as whether you can come in and see them in person when you have the Dr actually there on the phone and not a 'gatekeeper' receptionist.

Tell them that you have been worried about this neck all through the pandemic and didn't ring as you knew the pressure they were under too!

Oh Barbara that's the end of an era the tree coming down 😕now you can think what you want there instead?

Kari and I are going to brave an eye test soon we have been avoiding getting so close to anyone. I know they may not be able to do much but it is best for you to be checked and reassuring if they are happy things are stable🤞

Can you imagine Mr B with a Roys Rolls bag?🤭 Don't tell him!!

P is doing pretty well i saw her yesterday then her sister was coming so I left them together.

Could Mr B get an automatic or something to make his life easier?

Joan the 'odd job man' is a good lad he does as he is told in the garden at least😂 He laughed when I told him his new job title!!! My back will be ok I don't lie on the floor very often, like you, it's not so easy to get back up! My lovely neighbours will be apart for nearly two weeks I will go and see her and will two of their friends at least twice each. Their sons have arranged things for him to do so that he doesn't spend all his time at the home or he won't get a break. Bless them both life can be tough. Sending love and ((())) to you and Sue.

Kitty I would have been able to guess that that was Anita! You are quite alike! Your cousin is indeed beautiful and so lovely of them to send you the photo☺️

Were you a bit chilly yesterday? Sleek said she switched your thermostat up and adjusted your blankies.

What a great idea to get a company in to keep on top of your garden for you. That will be a real weight off your mind and much nicer to look out on.

Here we go again with Coronation street yet another person in prison for a crime they didn't commit. I don't think there will be a campaign to free her anytime soon except by her foster-carers.

Reshmi some women don't like to talk about the change - I think we should definitely. My GP said that we have outlived nature and really weren't meant to live as long as we do. I suppose a few centuries ago it would have been rare to live beyond our childbearing years.

They better do your bloods this time🙄

Poor Lord A! Pushed over by a girl. I wonder what his Dad said🤨 Mind you we all know girls can be rather nasty if they choose to be don't we?

I though the teapot was lovely too I will find another for today.

this one will make life easier for us lot

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) thank you for the photo Anita looks like you ((())) I hope you get some help with your garden ((()))

Do you remember who sang Danishen a long time a go I can not remember his name songs come in your mind. love to Chris ((()) Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Barbara ((())) Good luck wit your eye test ((())) we wanted some cut off our tree that was here before we moved in it's a oak tree the man that came wanted 8 hundred pounds we said no. Love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni ((())) his your back any better to day ((())) P ((())) is doing well ((())) and your neighbour who's wife is in care is doing all right ((())) love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Reshmi ((())) have a good day (((())) don't worry

Mike ((())) I hope you get to see your Doctor love to vixen

love to Chris ((())) and Carol ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • bosh
    Options

Hi Barbara how are you? thanks about the blood tests.

T , yes it is possible that my mum felt embarrassed talking about it. Thanks interesting about what your GP said. Hypothetical childbearing years in my case though lol. Thanks about the blood tests that’s true, last time I remembered some of the extra tests and the nurse raised the form but she said that the GP didn’t raise the forms she was supposed to and she just found some information on the GPs online notes, so me having to wait an extra month for some blood test results really isn’t good. I shouldn’t say this maybe but the GP looked really strange she was young and well dressed and all the rest of it but she had long hair and I think maybe she was feeling a little bit stressed out because it was more or less loose and she’d been scratching it and it was standing up on end like a witch’s hair or possibly she had scalp psoriasis, oh that would be good or rather that be interesting lol!! For little or Dave little girl‘s condition it could be nasty sometimes you’re right Toni. Asked for the bil, I’m using voice control so I better be discreet out, but but you guessed right the bil does like gender stereotypes, lol. That’s great teapot there. Tc. Xx.

• bosh
    Options

Thanks Joan, you have a good day too, also Turbogran and K. Also B forgot to mention that’s a massive tree that was felled, you must have a lot more space now, okay bye everyone have a good day, reshmi