Val's Cafe

Options

Comments

• Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options

Evening all

Hope everyone is as well as can be expected. Today has been a better day weather wise here although still chilly. yesterday was cold and raining on and off all day.

Came back from church this morning had a quick lunch and spent the afternoon dozing in the armchair was so tired I have had a busy weekend.

Toni we have a pastor instead of a vicar and on August bank holiday we welcomed a new pastor to fill the vacancy left when our last one left at the end of 2019. To be honest I think both of us have been affected by it all and we have helped and supported one another. Eldest daughter only has youngest granddaughter and her partner and Ava living with her. Eldest granddaughter and girls were with her a few days ago. But all adults have taken lateral flow tests and have come back negative.

Joan I have had mild case of depression before so I knew I just had to try to work myself out of it.

Bosh thanks for comments about photos the one with the St. John Ambulance award is our youngest daughter. And the little peoples as I call them are three of my 5 great granddaughters, I have as 2 great grandsons, yes I am very proud of them all.

Kath I like that name Madame sleepipus and her mask is brilliant suits her very well. I did ask daughter if we have to pay to speak to her now she has an award endorsed by the queen 😂😂. But yes I am so proud of her as she has worked hard for it. .

I am sitting typing the and miss Cookie is sitting on the arm of my chair tapping me gently on my face got attention she is so funny. Tomorrow I have a face to face appt with doctor (which is a miracle) at 11am so that she can see how the eczema on my legs is doing. It’s a lot better. Before

l must go now before I get stuck in the armchair. I need to move around a bit but before I do here is my most recent picture of Miss Cookie taking it easy by her scratching post

Love and Sparkles to you all ❤️❤️❤️❤️🌈🌈🌈🌈

Stay positive always👍xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options

Awww Carol! Look at Miss Cookie!

Lovely to see her she is a character tapping your face for some fuss bless her.

This Covid has been so tough I haven't been myself either - who could be? It's been dreadful really awful. Our Vicar retired in April 2020 but she stayed on to help the village through COVID but has retired now. She actually did this Sunday's service though. You have Pastors, Kath I think do you have Elders? Overseers? Reshmi what do you have in their place? As long as we all respect one another's religions and cultures all is well.

I'm glad your eldest doesn't have too many at home, but Ava! They will be worried in spite of their negative tests ((()))

When you have had depression you know what might be coming and sometimes can head it off. Not always but I am very glad you have managed to.

Hi Kitty yes indeed Miss Sleepipuss has lots of masks that one you've posted is a real favourite

she thought we all should wear these!

I fully intend to cook the Kolamba’s parippu (lentil curry) as you know I love lentils.

I think we get used to painkillers honestly and sometimes it's best to go back to the beginning and start again. P you know has osteoporosis and obviously cancer she has sworn by paracetamol all her life!

Yvonne always does a great job I hope your latest book makes some money for Versus Arthritis as we say every little helps now doesn't it?

Don't worry about the goulash - Hungarians love their meat🙄

Reshmi you eat whatever you fancy I hope I have never judged anyone nor will we are all entitled to our opinions honestly I mean that. My Dad used to hate lamb with a passion. When he had to work away my Mum used to take the chance and cook lamb chops!

Definitely colder yesterday here I was actually chilly in bed last night.

I am not averse to a bit of bribery with small children - they can be irrational at times and if it makes life easier well why not?!

Oh dear all men on the moon? All of them? That's definitely going a bit far🤭

Flu jab for us this morning except for Lucy as she won't be allowed having a cold. Have you had yours yet?

Joan I managed to chat to my lovely neighbours (her) on the phone (he) popped round to return something😊 It was a nice looking day yesterday wasn't it? just a bit chilly! ((())) xxx

Mike I expect you have no news on Elliott but know we haven't forgotten him and very much hope you yourself are doing ok?

Love of course to Barbara rest those eyes our friend ((()))

Nice day out there sunny so far shall we have sausage butties? vegan or meat as you like them☺️

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,931
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) that's good your Asda order came. I hope you have a good day with not too much pain ((())) love to Chris (((())) Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Barbara ((())) when was your opticians appointment ((())) love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((())) and your niece ((())) and her fiancé ((()))

Toni ((())) how did Lucy get on at the dentist ((())) have a good day all of you love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) Good you are seeing her today ((())) and your lovely neighbours. ((()))

Reshmi ((())) have a good day I have my thermals on now.

Mike ((())) thinking of you and Elliott ((())) and vixen

Love to Chris ((())) and Carol ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Mike I expect you have no news on Elliott but know we haven't forgotten him and very much hope you yourself are doing ok?

Morning Froggie, no, no news about the boy at all! The cat and I are fine thanks. Still getting 5 hours kip at night on the amitriptyline which makes a pleasant change. The plug-in for Vixen is working well, she is definitely less anxious than she was and is kipping on the bed more than I am 😺

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    edited 4. Oct 2021, 09:23
    Options

What a beautiful morning, but so cold. I don't know how I'll cope in winter. Ear muffs, mittens and scarf I think.

Carol, what a beautiful picture of Miss Cookie.

Antoinette, I agree with Sleek, we should all definitely have a good selection of face masks. Many thanks for the sausage butty, I've smothered my meat sausage in ketchup and my veggie sausage in Daddy's sauce. I do like variety. Today is my 3rd day without using Fentanyl patches. I only have one dose of Oramorph a day so I'm almost entirely dependent on Paracetamol now. But I still take my TX and Leflunomide and 1 5mg Prednisolone.

Homemade falafel

1 Hour + Overnight Soaking Makes 8 PittasEasy

The combination of crispy fried falafel, creamy condiments, crunchy salad and tangy pickles takes this spiced vegan sandwich to the next level

By John Gregory-Smith Olive magazine

Ingredients

FALAFELS

• onion 1, roughly chopped
    • garlic 4 cloves
    • coriander a large handful
    • flat-leaf parsley a large handful of leaves
    • chickpeas 400g, soaked overnight in cold water and drained
    • gram flour 4 tbsp
    • ground cumin 2 tsp
    • ground coriander 2 tsp
    • aleppo pepper 1 tsp, see notes below
    • baking powder ½ tsp
    • bicarbonate of soda ¼ tsp
    • vegetable oil for deep-frying

TO SERVE

• pittas 8, split
    • Little Gem lettuces 2, finely sliced
    • flat-leaf parsley 2 handfuls of leaves
    • pickled turnips or cucumbers 200g, thinly sliced
    • sumac 2 tsp, see notes below
    • tahini to serve
    • chilli sauce to serve

Method

• STEP 1
    • To make the falafels, blitz the onion and garlic in a food processor until fine. Add the herbs and blitz again until finely chopped. Add the soaked chickpeas, gram flour, cumin, coriander, aleppo pepper, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Season with a generous pinch of salt and blitz again for a few minutes to combine. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the food processor and blend again until the mixture combines into a paste. Roll into 30-32 small falafels the size of walnuts.
    • STEP 2
    • Fill a pan no more than 1/3 full with oil and heat to 180C or until a cube of bread browns in 30 seconds. Cook the falafels, in batches, for 1-2 minutes or until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
    • STEP 3
    • Serve in the pittas with the lettuce, parsley, pickles, a sprinkle of sumac, a drizzle of tahini and chilli sauce to t

Recipes extracted from Saffron in the Souks by John Gregory-Smith (£25, Kyle Books).

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• bosh
    bosh Member Posts: 4,053
    Options

Hi TG nice to hear from you glad the weather is a little bit better for you today. Hi Toni, thanks for your understanding.yes, all they men on the moon would be a bit extreme funny joke though. Not got the flu jab yet. Pity Lucy can’t have it. Hope you don’t feel too unwell from flu jab. Funny about lamb chops. Okay bye for now Toni take care.

• bosh
    Options

Hi Joan you have a nice day too I also like wearing thermals when I’m cold so nice and cosy take care, xx

• bosh
    Options

Hi Kathleen nice to hear from you nice recipe take care.

• bosh
    Options

Barbara how are you today? I’m not too bad thanks had a bit of a junk food day today but it’s not a daily occurrence 😄.

• bosh
    Options

Hi again everyone hi Toni, I’ve got a bit more time now so I just thought of something funny that Id put on here, we were talking about different types of diets and how no one should be prejudiced well something along those lines anyway and it reminded me of the long lost friend as I call her she’s a vegetarian I think really purely for environmental reasons she is a big big environmentalist which I’m not to be honest I’m not trying respect environment but I wouldn’t call myself a fanatic anyway one day she gave me a massive lecture on avocados, about how nobody should eat them because of the way there are produced in the UK market gardens or something like that but the thing is I haven’t really eaten avocado for a long time because it upsets my stomach but there would be no point telling her that, so I just endure the lecture, lol, and the funny thing is that she herself eats avocado about once a week because she likes the taste, so if she’s poisoning the environment single-handedly or whatever, lol, then why is she eating them? She’s a nice lady but there’s really no reasoning with her so I don’t even try to, lol, her breakfast has three espressos and no food for example yep heading for a heart problem anyway I’ll stop on that subject just thought it was funny I’ve also noticed avocados are really on trend as they say now, avocado patterned handbags etc, so maybe I’ll send her an avocado T-shirt and say don’t blame me came straight from Toni just joking. Xx

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

BTW, I lurve lamb, my most favourite meat of all.

Kitty Kat XXXX

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options

Evening all Had our flu jabs today

Carol I'm so sorry I missed you yesterday ..I adore the photos of the little ones bless and how proud yours be if your daughter, St John's saved our youngest sons life many years ago xx

Reshmi i haD to laugh at all men should be in the moon I think my hubby is already from another planet..and the avocado story ..well I have only tasted them once 🥴my eldest son loves them with chillies on toast ..you take care xx

Toni our gd and f8snce are finding the transport really bad around here after London..its a 45 min walk in a morning ..she is trying to get driving lesson but no luck yet ..glad you have had some time with P xx

Joan yes I will close my eyes to the dust 😅love it ...have you been to your cafe lately things seem muchore normal now xx

Kath I stopped with the patches a couple of years ago ..it took time bring them down slowly but like you say the pain isn't any worse..well mine wasn't goid luck with it xx

Love to all

X xxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    edited 5. Oct 2021, 04:23
    Options

Morning!

Joan thank you Lucy had a filling a temporary one and an appointment booked for January to have it done properly. P wasn't too bad at all still trying to fix it so she can watch the TV in her room with headphones because she is sharing. We think the hole in the TV isn't right so maintenance were coming to have a look. Love to you and Sue ((())) xxx

Mike let's hope no news is good news then. Typical no-one tells you or your little sis 🙄5 hours is great - any less 'foggy' in the morning? Vixen must like the new topper on the bed as well as the plug in☺️

Kitty well you are turning into P! paracetamol are very underrated I think. She swears by them. It may be worth trying something new in time/ Of course now P is on the heavy duty stuff. She was ok when I went to see her in spite of the fact i couldn't get her headphones to work. Takes me back going in there. You know what I mean I am sure.

I am freezing too I am on vest, blouse and cardy already (and rug on my knees in the evening) so yes maybe we will need our earmuffs and fingerless gloves. Had to get up at 5 to get Lu to work for 6😴

I am very pleased you enjoyed your sausage butties both customised to your own specifications I think I would enjoy homemade falafels 😋

Oh Reshmi your friend is funny! Yes avocado production is an issue, but they are very good for you so if you like them well have them occasionally I say. You are very patient letting her lecture you when you don't even eat 🥑 avocados😁 Honestly I would have to say something! Shame they upset your belly because they are very tasty I have them sometimes they have the good cholesterol but one portion is only half of one. Send her a T shirt? maybe just a badge it would be cheaper🤭

My brother was like that 3 double espressos no breakfast etc - now he has stage 3 kidney failure - might not be linked but who knows. Everything in moderation don't you think?

All good after flu jab just a dead arm! Hope yours is soon.

Barbara lovely to see you that's how i like my avocado if I have it on toast or a bagel sometimes with vegan cheese spread on first.

Thank you i did have a lovely visit with P I have made her promise when she can't cope with me (things get too bad) just say not to come I won't be offended. At the moment we are both still getting a lot out of seeing each other.

Oh I do bet the girls have noticed the difference with transport. In our village buses start at 7am and finish at 7pm so Lucy can't get one to work and then they are half hourly. They will get lessons soon are they on waiting lists?

It will be great when they drive won't it?

Love of course to Carol I hope your daughter is ok and everyone else is well still ((()))

Let's have porridge - it's cold!

• Mike1
    Options

Morning. Still getting a couple of hours "fog" in the morning which I am quite happy to put up with as I get about 5 hours kip instead of 3. Mind you I only got 4 hours last night. I was stuck in my recliner for 3 hours as there was a power cut, luckily I am on EDF's emergency list so they phoned me within half an hour of the electricity going off to make sure I was OK and to let me know that they were prioritising my reconnection. If you are elderly, disabled, have a stair lift or recliner which you can get stuck in in the event of a power cut you can register with your provider like I did. When I woke up this morning Vixen was on my feet, she has since had breakfast and .............. gone straight back to bed! 😺

• frogmorton
    Options

Morning Mike 5 hours is a real improvement i am pleased it's sustained😊

Gosh a power cut I didn't know we could/should register if we could get trapped in some electric contraption like a recliner. I thought about stair lifts but not those what great advice. thank you.

Glad Vixen is still in. Mind it's miserable out there today🙄

Kitty! There's new person looking for sjogren's advice don't know if you have time to say hello to her?

Right better get on a lot to do today

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Carol (((())) that's a lovely photo of miss cookie. Love to your daughter how has the virus ((())) love to Mr T ((())) and the rest of your family.

Barbara ((())) yes we've been to the cafe it's getting a bit colder to go a long way. Have a good day ((())) love to your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((())) and your niece ((())) and her fiancé ((()))

Kath ((())) yes it is cold I have my thermal's on. I was on those patches I had to stop them my arm came up in blisters. Love to Chris ((())) and Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Toni ((())) how is Lucy's hip she had the pain in ((())) I hope P ((()))TV can be fixed for her ((())) love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Reshmi ((())) have a good day take care ((())) love to your family (()))

Mike ((())) vixen seems to be in doors with you more now ((())) love to Elliott ((()))

love to Chris ((())))

take care
    joan xx
  • bosh
    Options

hi Kathleen how are you lamb is is your favourite meat, okay fair enough got it, lol, I must admit there is only one lamb preparation that I like but that’s 1% as opposed to the 99% I don’t, lol. Have A Nice day take care.

• bosh
    Options

Hi Barbara Hope you’re well? glad you liked the moon joke and the avocado story, lol. I don’t mind the taste of avocados that much, it’s a bit bland but because my stomach seems to be intolerant of it I just avoid it these days, avocado with chilies that sounds interesting. I saw somewhere that some people make avocado and chocolate puddings, which is relatively healthy I guess but it might mean a lot of antacids or something like that at least in my case, lol. Have a Nice afternoon take care.

• bosh
    Options

Hi Barbara forgot to mention hope your flu jab went okay and you’re not feeling too unwell after it ? okay bye for now

• bosh
    Options

Hi turbogran hope you’re well? Tc xx

• bosh
    edited 5. Oct 2021, 11:39
    Options

Hi T, Hope you’re well? yes the avocado lecture was annoying but she is a good friend in many ways and doesn’t go on about these bees in a bonnets all the time, thank goodness, lol. Yes They are good for health I agree. Yes avocado batch may be cheaper, lol, she likes going to cafés a lot so maybe I’ll tell her there is a new avocado café and that she thought you’d eaten baked beans on toast but the red sauce was actually dyed avocado purée, She were to ask who recommended the new café I would say contact Toni, don’t worry Toni can’t hide from me, I have her DNA just joking of course haha… or am I? You know, Maybe we should alright are on Netflix thriller, I can think of worse ideas, lol. Very Sad about your brother yes moderation is good. Talking of moderation I almost went to the coffee stall today but there were some fierce dogs in front of the sugary treats so I just went home, a new canine kind of diet control I like it. Thanks about the flu jab glad yours went more or less okay bye for now take care. Xx

• bosh
    edited 5. Oct 2021, 11:38
    Options

Hi Joan Hope you’re okay thank you I hope you have a nice day too take care

• frogmorton
    Options

Morning everyone 😊

Aw Kitty Kat thank you for being kind to the new lady I hope she feels better now she knows she is not alone. Sjogren's just isn't that common is it?

Miss Sleekipuss is on her way over her cuttings have rooted in water in her jars and she plans to sneak them into yours and your neighbour's gardens. She reckons there are cats your way - land cats admittedly, but all the same they will appreciate some cat mint😉

Joan Lucy's hip seems reasonably ok to be honest her shoulder gives her a tiny twinge every now and then if she overdoes it. They will either have moved the telly or P! it's that easy apparently 🙂You need the telly when you're in bed don't you? ((())) xxx

Reshmi I have Lucy's cold🙄I am taking the first defense spray and have done a lateral flow to be on the safe side. Looking forward to my bed already! At least my flu jab arm has gone off and is ok now.

I like the dyed avocado cunning plan to get your friend eating the stuff hehe! Still if she is a good friend you can put up with the odd rant. Shall we write an evil thriller? Now our Kath did! she has written two; one which she let us read and you can download and another which got too scary but I still want to know the end of!

Canine cake curbers! That's what those dogs are. Excellent! long may they patrol the area😁

Bro is doing ok Barbara has a similar problem to him she can probably give me/him some tips.

Barbara that has reminded me my brother's kidneys are stage 3 of 5? He has to get his blood pressure down and go on ACE inhibitors then statins then something for diabetes??? OF course there is the diet too.

I hope you are doing ok? The family? Are you still using your cleaner did i ask that before?

Love of course to Carol and Mike how is your voice today? Hope Sue is well?((())) xxx

but is it really dyed avocado Reshmi?!!!

• Mike1
    Options

Morning Froggie et al

Today is new fridge freezer day, it is coming sometime between 7am and 6pm! I just hope that the delivery people will put it in place for me and take the old one away as I ordered it from Argos and, unlike other suppliers, they do not give the option for this. I looked at others like Currys and AO but they wanted an extra £60 to take the new one out of the box, plug it in and take the old one away. Under the WEEE Regulations suppliers have to take old electrical equipment away and should not charge for it but most of the big companies do charge. Woke up this morning to the third power cut in two days so had to potter round in the dark and could not make a brew. When EDF phoned to see if I was OK they admitted that the cuts have been caused by problems with an underground cable which causes fuses at the sub-station to blow hence the cuts, they said that trying to locate the cable problem is difficult so there may be more cuts! Deep Joy. Luckily the power came back on in about an hour so I almost ran to the kettle - note "almost", at least I ran in my head even if in reality it was a hobble!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Toni ((())) sue is put to bed at 7 00 at night she has her iPad she has Coronation street on there and all the programmes she wants. I hope your cold soon goes ((())) love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P (((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Mike ((())) I bet that cup of tea was lovely ((())) you take care love to Elliott ((())) and vixen ((()))

Reshmi ((())) have a good day all of you ((()))

Barbara ((())) love to you thinking of you love to your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((())) and your niece ((())) and her fiancé ((())))

Kath ((()))have a good day ((())) love to Chris (())) and Anita ((())) and Val ((()) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((()))

love to Chris ((())) and Carol ((()))

take care
    joan xx