Val's Cafe

Options

Comments

• chris8
    chris8 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Good morning all on this sunny morning!
    Hi @kathleenT @Claire777 @Babs55 hope you're all well
    Hi @barbara12 good morning hope you're alright, yes them Alexa can be quite good and ideal for times like these I've had mine telling me jokes this morning lol think they need to improve that aspect lol
    Hey @frogmorton think your name is (Toni) ? How's things? Awesome work by Captain Tom and that you share your birthday with him! Sounds good you got some new walking boots too! Bet your looking forward to getting them on! I've only seen neighbours passing so mainly just a quick chat from Doorstep over to where they walk past. I've got a small garden at front but living in a flat and a curious at time restless elderly neighbour it's hard to sit out in it for any long period incase he's pottering about lol so feel like I'm sneaking out Pink panther style whenever I venture to garden lol other than that just trying to stay home and be as creative and constructive as poss, reading, tidying, doing my online Driving revision etc etc for when indo hopefully put in for my Driving test :)
  • chris8
    Options
    Good morning @dachshund think you said you was called Joan? Trying to take in as many names as possible :) I'm ok thank you, actually surprised I've held up through these times with no flare ups or anything, I think it's such as this page which has been a welcome relaxing distraction :) Hows yourself? Hope you can get some fresh air with Lexi today as it's looking a nice day and hope it's the same in Swindon :)
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

Daily Poem

Ode to 'The Lady of Shallot' By Kathleen T

Whichever verses move me so:

whichever poems come and go:

there's always one I'm glad to know,

'The Lady of Shallot'.

Through her mirror, life revealed

beyond the river, across the field.

Her curse was cruel, her fate was sealed,

the lady of Shallot.

Such lonely days filled all her life.

Never Mother, never wife.

The weaving loom her only strife,

the lady of Shallot.

The only time her face was seen

was as she drifted down the stream.

All thought she'd floated from a dream,

the lady of Shallot.

Lord Alfred chose his words so well,

each one the tolling of the bell

sounding out her slow death knell,

the lady of Shallot.

Though written down as history

her tale still weaves a mystery

as time and time she visits me,

the lady of Shallot.

Painting by John Waterhouse, The Lady Of Shalott

One of our local news items. Just Giving have a donation page for the people who are now homeless and lost everything,

Derbyshire Live reports

"Around a hundred "shellshocked and dazed" residents had to spend the night in a hotel after a fire ripped through their apartment block.

Volunteers who rushed to the scene in Sandiacre to provide food and water described people who were left in "total disbelief" about what had happened to their homes.

Fire crews were called to the Springfield Mill flats, in Bridge Street, when a blaze engulfed the roof of the building shortly after 4pm yesterday.

The cause has not yet been revealed but an investigation is due to start later today.

Now volunteers from Sandiacre Mutual Aid are calling on the public to donate toiletries and sanitary items to help the turfed-out residents. The group was originally set up to help the vulnerable during the coronavirus outbreak.

Stephanie Newington arrived at the scene shortly after the emergency services arrived and said she saw a distressing scene.

The 51-year-old said: "They were shellshocked.

"They were just walking around in a daze and not really taking in what had actually just happened, which was obviously upsetting to see."

Ms Newington said around 100 residents were taken to a school before being put up at the Novotel hotel in Bostocks Lane. She said some had found somewhere to stay with family or friends.

She said: "With everybody in lockdown and working from home, for some of them this will mean their livelihood is gone.

"On top of the virus it's another awful and uncertain thing that the people of Sandicare are having to go through."

Springfield Mill in Sandiacre has been badly damaged by fire (Image: Derbyshire Live)

Another member of the volunteer group, Jon Nix, was also one of the first on the scene. He and others brought bottles of water from a local shop and helped to hand them out to residents.

The 49-year-old said: "I heard all the fire engines coming past - you could tell it was a big blaze.

"There was no real sense of panic but the residents were just dazed and confused.

"All I could do was to ask them if they wanted a bottle of water and to ask how they were doing. We just wanted to show people that we were there."

Louise Perkins of Sandiacre Mutual Aid is now leading a call-out for donations of toiletries and sanitary items. She and another member of the group will collect the donations from addresses in Derby and the Sandiacre area."

VEGAN SAUSAGE CASSEROLE WITH LENTILS AND FARRO

Vegan sausage casserole with lentils and farro – this hearty vegan stew is easy to make, healthy, very filling and incredibly satisfying.

This vegan sausage casserole with lentils and farro is a regular on my meal rotation; particularly during the colder months. I love it because it is so easy to make but it is also packed full of flavour and is very filling, as well as being a very healthy meal.

Ingredients

• 2 Tbsp olive oil
    • 1 brown onion peeled and finely chopped
    • 4 cloves garlic peeled and crushed
    • 1 tsp smoked paprika
    • 2 Tbsp tomato puree
    • 350 g (2 large) carrots chopped
    • 1 small butternut squash (about 650g unpeeled weight) peeled, de-seeded and diced
    • 350 g (1 large) potato diced
    • 1 400 g (14oz) tin chopped tomatoes
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 1 litre strong vegetable stock
    • 100 g (3.5 oz) dried farro
    • 400 g (14 oz) tin green lentils drained
    • 8 vegan sausages (I used Linda Mc Cartney)
    • salt and pepper

Instructions

1. Heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and cook over a low heat for about 10 minutes, until soft.
    2. Add the garlic, smoked paprika, tomato puree and carrots and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring often.
    3. Add the butternut squash, potato, tinned tomatoes, bay leaves and stock; bring up to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, until the vegetables are almost tender.
    4. Add the farro and lentils and cook for another 15 minutes, until the farro and vegetables are cooked through. Add a splash more stock if needed but the stew should not be too watery.
    5. Meanwhile, cook the sausages according to the instructions on the packet. Once cooked, slice each one into fat pieces.
    6. Season the stew to taste with plenty of salt and pepper, stir through the sliced sausages and serve with crusty buttered bread to soak up the juices.

Everybody keep safe and well. 😘

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• SJYB
    SJYB Member Posts: 4
    Options

+A black coffee and a meringue with lashings of whipped cream, please.

SJYB

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 22. Apr 2020, 18:11
    Options
    Evening all..been trying to do cosgans but no luck on my phone.. sure they worked before
    It's been another lovely day so been pottering in the garden..
    Toni an amazing breakfast..and the hot chocalate wow so you have walking boots for your Birthday..bet you cant wait to wear them..not be long..then a couple of weeks later I am 70...omg...
    You are having fun with Akexa glad to hear Paul wont get his own back..hahaha when we had ours Niamh used to play games with it..I am sure you will get back to France soon xx
    Kath I hope today had been a little better for you...what a lovely painting of the lady of shalott..and I love the poem.....how very sad to hear about the rest home..these poor people..has though they dont have enough to worry about
    .its awful..xx
    Joan all us well here and thankyou my brother and girlfriend are doing ok....you keep safe..((((())))).Chris I am beginning to think I should have kept Alexa..could do with a laugh..glad you manage to sneak into the garden..I have this vision...xx
    Hello shyb.. hope I have that right and welcome to the cafe...
    . Coffee and meringue coming up..think I will join you...xx
    Right will leave you all for now
    Xxxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,477
    Options

Joan it is GREAT writing with nothing stopping us!! I have said thank you to Brynmor the Versus Arthritis man. He's really helped us chatterboxes in here! 🙂 I am so glad you have a gardener I was worried there for a bit!

Aha Chris8 is going to learn to drive - that's great i was going to say i wouldn't be without my car, but i haven't driven it for weeks 😕 Can I ask what you do for a living? Normally of course now is definitely NOT normal!!

Get Alexa sidekick up it's so nice. She backs you up! I have to agree her jokes leave a LOT to be desired🙄

I am indeed Toni which is ok except when people think I am male and spell is Tony. I don't mind really.

Today I am going out in my garden it is large although a lot of it is green-belt land so only grass, but I love that anyway. I now have the pink panther music in my head thinking of you going outside dodging your elderly neighbour!😂

OMG Kath those poor poor people! That's dreadful! Couldn't have happened at a worse time could it?😮 They must be heart broken. I suppose the only upside is there are empty hotels and lovely people who care enough to help.

I am going to cook that vegan sausage casserole it looks lovely and i pretty well have everything for it too ☺️ Thank you!

The lady of shallot is a good choice I loev the pace of it although i am not convinced it's a happy poem.

How are you and Chris doing? Sleek isn't saying.... she likes knowing stuff I don't....

@SJYB

and

all yours! Please enjoy and welcome to the café 😊

Barbara as you know the food here is calorie free and refills on it's own so help yourself to the meringues!

Nope Paul can't get his own back via Alexa, but he did smile.....and he's had the bathroom scales out too so might cut back a bit now ;)

I bet Niamh used to enjoy your Alexa. If you could program yours you could get it to answer. Who do we miss most? Answer: Niamh! She'd love that. I hope she and her Daddy are ok ((()))

Yes i will get back to France maybe next year but what would I tell the people who bought Aidan's house😔

Annoying you can't get cosgans on your phone, but you know we don't care about all that just so long as we get you!

Some breakfast anyone?

pain au chocolat!

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,951
    Options

Good morning everyone

Chris I'm sorry you have flare ups (((()))) I don't have them mine is chronic Arthritis it's strange because sue my twin hasn't got it. have a good day dodging your neighbour (((())))

Kath t's so sad that fire it's good nobody died (((()))) love to everyone ((((())))

SJYB it's nice to meet you it's good having this forum we can talk about our problems (((())))

. Barbara how is your pain now ((((()))) you have stopped the antibiotics now (((())))

. love to everyone ((((())))

Toni I loved cutting the brass and doing the vacuuming but now I cannot even lift the vacuum.

. Love to everyone ((((())) I thanked Yvonne it's good her and B new what to do (((()))

. love to Carol (((())) Mig (((()))) Christine (((())))) Bill (((()))) Mandy ((((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem (a new one by Kath)

Garden Blues

I can no longer go out to our garden

me knees won’t let me you see.

And when me spine buckles -

my what a kerfuffle,

the air turns a delicate shade of blue.

So I stand Gazing out of the window,

wondering what to do,

when all of a sudden I spot Alan Titchmarsh

and the “love Your Garden” crew.

I rush to put the kettle on

and break out the chocolate Hob Nobs

but when I get back, the whole lot have gone

leaving all those gardening jobs.

Me garden is still neglected,

and a tear runs down me cheek,

I now feel so lost and dejected,

with no paddle, I’m stuck up the creek.

Hope all are well and coping, Toni, thank you for breakfast.

Vegan One-pot linguine with olives, capers, and sundried tomatoes

Ingredients

• 200g dried linguine (or spaghetti) 
    • 500g passata with onion and garlic
    • 1 red chilli
    • 6 slices sun-dried tomato (from a jar)
    • 50g pitted black olives
    • 1 tbsp capers
    • 1 tsp sugar
    • 2 tbsp olive oil
    • Handful fresh basil

Method

1. Find a large lidded saucepan in which the linguine will lie flat on the bottom, or snap the linguine in half to fit in a regular pan. Cover the linguine with the passata, then re-fill the passata carton or jar half way with water (250ml), and add this to the pan. Bring it to the boil and reduce to a simmer. Keep stirring whilst the pasta softens to ensure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
    2. De-seed and finely slice the chilli, drain and finely chop the sun-dried tomatoes, halve the olives and drain the capers, then add all these ingredients to the pan, along with the sugar and olive oil. Stir well, cover with the lid and cook on a medium heat for 10-11 minutes, (stirring regularly), until the pasta is cooked through.
    3. Roughly chop the basil. When the pasta is cooked, stir in the basil and a grind of black pepper (it shouldn’t need any salt), then serve.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• chris8
    Options
    Good afternoon regulars, hope you're all well this Sunny Thursday! Thursday again already?! How quick are the days going? Feels like everyday is rolling into the same currently!
    Hi @barbara12 I'm sure you'll get one again, had music on mine this Morning, Mr Bob Marley was the soundtrack to my tidying up morning :) hope you're ok and catching a bit of this Sun.
    Hey @frogmorton (Toni) hows yourself? Yes I'm aiming to get driving at some point so thought with all this down time I'd try studying towards that but bought a lot more random (mainly autobiographies) yesterday on kindle. Oooops :) I used to work in the Mobile phone sector for a well known provider but RA proved too much (wish that was a 9-5) lol so just been trying to manage that and hopefully get back to is the plan... That automated assistant certainly needs to improve on the Jokes I agree hahaha hope you managed to get out into your Garden yesterday and today, with or without that Pink Panther theme playing :)
  • chris8
    Options
    Hello also @dachshund hope you're well Joan and you and Lexi managing to see some of this Sun, I'm trying to make the most, as the tale goes it's usually 'April showers' :) hope your day going well thus far :)
  • barbara12
    Options
    Evening all..another mice day..so been sat outside putting plants
    Chris..I learned to drive when I was 40..passed f7rst time and enjoyed going off on my own..but then we only had the van for ir OHs work for a while..and now my eyes are going so now I cant.....you go for it..xx
    Toni thankyou for breakfast...I darnt get the scales out...not after all the chocolate croissants ..
    Yes I miss the cosgons..m6st get back on my laptop..but it so easy to enlarge in my phone...we really are lucky to have gardens..my friend lives in a flat with 2 children...Niamh is fine..daddy bought her a pool and took it to there house..but it's so hard for him not to hug her...
    I think the people in France will be so shocked to hear about our Aidan xx
    Joan I have finished the ABs..but not sure if they have helped.. might have another wee test..glad you are all ok...xx
    Kath I can tell you are down..you can talk to us you know..we are always hear and you listen enough to me...thankyou for the poem and the linguine dont think I have ever had it...you take care (((()))))
    I cant get a shopping slot.. think I had better stay up till midnight..
    Love to all
    Xxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • chris8
    Options
    Good evening @barbara12 just seen your post, hope you get a Shopping slot soon if you're staying up til midnight! It's nice to know you passed your test also and when you did, as yes that's hopefully the plan after the obvious... Fingers crossed for when I do hey :) better late than never I think they call it :) Haha Glad you've been outside tending to plants, certainly been a day for it :)
  • frogmorton
    Options

Morning everyone!

ANOTHER gorgeous day here! The tomato seeds I planted for a friend have come up - well 4/6 have so far on about 4 days! I think it's the sunshine 🌞

Barbara your poor son not being able to hug his own daughter😓 I'm sure though that Niamh understands he loves her. Gosh this will go down in history surely and kids will tell their kids.....

For now with you eyes I think the mobile is best - now Niamh isn't pinching your lap top at least you've got used to it and it's better. You can enlarge the typing on your laptop too though I have mine on 125% but it goes higher. What browser do you use? Chrome? Firefox etc?

Shame you can't drive now, but safety first. Have you asked for another wee test yet? I think you should to be sure ((()))🤞 you get a shopping slot.

Hi Kath I hope you are ok Sleek admitted you need some extra ((())) and some🌈🌈🌈 too she said.

Alan Titchmarch eh? How great it would be if he went to yours and made your garden super-low maintenance for you but pretty :) The poem was very very good if a little sad so i am reading between the lines. ((())) take care.

That pasta looks amazing! I love it! Thank you very much I will have it for lunch...and dinner.....

Joan I am glad you said thank you to Brynmor too we are very lucky to have them to help us with our techy problems. Not everyone takes the time to say thank you. Shame you and Sue are not out today it's Friday again🙄

Chris8 you are right this week has flown by I can't even remember how many weeks we have been in isolation now! I play motown on LOUD when i do my housework. My friend used to come over to help me and we'd sing at the top of our voices! I think Alexa is great although yesterday it was Absolute 80s again!

Shame RA has affected your ability to work, but pass your test after this is over and we'll see how far you can go 🙂 If Barbara can do it at 40 you can easily pass and it makes such a difference driving.

I did indeed get outside in the garden. No Pink Panthering required! stealth-mode!

Right I think i should put the kettle on:

Pancakes!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Chris8 I hope you have a good weekend with no pain (((())))

Kath yes I watch Alan Titchmarsh we can always dream can't we (((()))) love to everyone have a good weekend.

Barbara Sue just rang the Doctors and the lady said we can take the dogs for a short walk every day so she's happy. how is your brother doing.(((())) have a good weekend all of you ((()))

Toni Has Charley still got the symptoms how long do they last (((())). love to everyone have a good weekend all of you ((((())))

love to Carol Christine Mig Bill ((((())))

take care
    joan xx
  • chris8
    Options
    Good afternoon @frogmorton hope you're well this again Sunny afternoon! Totally agree that the weeks are flying! Both Motown and Absolute 80's sound good :) I'm on course to be rocking an 80's mullet as I've not been able to have a Haircut in Weeks haha Yes I'll definitely have to go in for Driving so trying to utilize this time constructively. Never done as much reading! Just finished a book called 'Cant hurt me' by David Goggins, was a great read and totally recommend to anyone... The stealth mode cuppa with pancakes is the one too! :)
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem (Stevie Smith didn't seem to write happy poems.)

Mother, among the dustbins and the manure

I feel the measure of my humanity, an allure

As of the presence of God, I am sure

In the dustbins, in the manure, in the cat at play,

Is the presence of God, in a sure way

He moves there. Mother, what do you say?

I too have felt the presence of God in the broom

I hold, in the cobwebs in the room,

But most of all in the silence of the tomb.

Ah! but that thought that informs the hope of our kind

Is but an empty thing, what lies behind? --

Naught but the vanity of a protesting mind

That would not die. This is the thought that bounces

Within a conceited head and trounces

Inquiry. Man is most frivolous when he pronounces.

Well Mother, I shall continue to think as I do,

And I think you would be wise to do so too,

Can you question the folly of man in the creation of God?

Who are you?

Stevie Smith

Hello everybody, today has been rather odd because our Tesco isn't coming until tomorrow. I rang dad, he's fine but had forgotten I was ringing today and not tomorrow (I knew he would bless him). He's been spraying the weeds in the front garden. By now, he should have received his sandwiches from the Friday Club. Dad, behave, you're 89 for goodness sake.🙄

I also had a nice chat (online through Messenger) with my eldest son Richard. Willow is having home tutoring as her college (for people with disabilities and learning difficulties) is currently closed. Oakley is doing his university course at home too.

I have been assured we will have food parcels delivered soon, but they don't know when. I registered with the government AGAIN yesterday. My prescription was delivered yesterday, so I'm well supplied there.

Joan, I'm pleased you and Sue can walk Lexi and Pepper once a day.

Toni, I'm enjoying the rainbows, and that is a very posh kettle. too pretty to use.

Barbara, do you shop with Tesco? if so, you no longer have to wait until midnight. I check every morning and there are one days slots available from 6am until about 11-12 midday. I don't know about the others.

Vegan fish and chips

ALL RECIPES

Vegan Fish and Chips with Mushy Peas

An absolute pub grub classic! Try out this Vegan Fish and Chips with Mushy Peas by the incredible The Yummy Vegan!

Ingredients:

• 6 Gardein Fishless Filets
    • 2 servings of Steak Cut Frozen French Fries

Tartar Sauce:

• 1 cup of Vegenaise or Vegan Mayo
    • Juice from 1/2 a Lemon
    • 1 Dill Pickle finely chopped
    • 1 Tbsp of chopped Dill
    • Salt & Pepper to taste

Mushy Peas:

• 1 1/2 cups of Frozen Sweet Peas
    • 1 Tbsp of Vegan Butter
    • 1/3 cup Unsweetened Plant Milk
    • 1/2 tsp of Garlic Powder
    • 1/2 tsp of Onion Salt
    • Salt & Pepper to taste

Method:

1. Heat the Peas in a small pot along with with the Butter, Milk and seasonings until peas are very soft.

2. Mash the Peas using a potato masher or hand blender until creamy. Keep warm.

3. Mix together the ingredients for the Tartar Sauce and refrigerate until ready to use. (Can be made the day before for better flavor).

4. Bake the Fishless Filets and Fries according to package directions.

5. Serve with Tartar Sauce, Ketchup, Fresh Lemon wedges and Malted Vinegar.

Keep safe my friends. 🙏 Keep our NHS safe.

• chris8
    Options
    Hi @dachshund many thanks, hope you're well and have a pain free weekend! Glad you can take the Dogs out for a short walk too, just seen something about that... Hope the Weather stays as nice as this for a bit, it makes a change not having any 'April showers' but then again with this Lockdown I wouldn't mind a good downpour for the garden :)
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options

Ive just realised its friday 🤨

About 5 mins from our house is a lovely walk with two paths one is a farm track that skirts fields the other has a little stream and leads to a small wood we have been doing the walk every day sometimes one then the other, the bluebells are out at the moment they look like a blue mist.

My daughter has been very organised while working from home she's gone through the cupboards and freezer so now we have a meal plan for the next week based on what we have in one day she cooks the next day me hubby does the clearing up.

I hope everyone is as well as can be. X Mig

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options

HI Kath T just took a screen shot of your vegan linguine my daughter saw the picture thought it looked yummy.

How are you ?when do you see Dr P ?

• frogmorton
    Options

Hi mig!! LOVING those bluebells! Normally Paul and I go for a walk through a bluebell wood but can't this year can we 😕 Still at least we are all well which is the main thing.

Chris8 a mullet! We thought the lads looked so good with their mullets back in the day😁 and to be fair our hair was a bit mulletesque (new word) too! I had a perm and wore mine up in a pineapple half the time🤣 Them were t'days!

That book I am going to have a look - has it helped much?

Glad you enjoyed the pancakes....not sure what to have for breakfast today thinking maybe porridge Barbara loves porridge.

Up early this morning shooting pains I HATE shooting pains grrr!

Joan I am glad Sue can take the dogs out now she will enjoy that and they will too even if you have got a big garden 🙂 Charley is much much better thank you for asking.

Kath vegan fish and chips!! Wo! Thank YOU! Right day for it being fish fryday too.

Thank you also for teh Tesco tip I am struggling staying up so late.

What is your Dad like?!!! Mind you it's a good (if slightly less than safe) attitude to have isn't it? bless him. Lovely to have along chat with Richard and to hear all their news. Willow is doing ok which is good and Oakly able to do university work too from home so all good. Charley video-called me which was lovely. My bro brought me some beyond meat burgers too.

Gosh you were right about that poem😉 Not so cheery at all!

Sleek was over checking up on you last night reckoned you were o...k that means you need some more ((())) and 🌈🌈🌈

EVERYONE I had a whatsapp conversation with Bill yesterday. The older Wisteria had a 'haircut' (sounds an Aidanism!) the small one is getting ready to flower. He has still been keeping very busy mostly outside in the garden and still chatting to Mandy over the fence with a cuppa and no doubt a cig. I do wish a small cat would 'find' him.

Right food.....

Sleek said we can use her mugs....

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Chris8 i hope you have a good day (((((()))) with no pain

Mig it's nice you have a helpful daughter ((((()))) we have woods near us.

Kath your Dad keeps busy ((((()))) how is Anita doing (((()))

Toni is Lucy's 5 years up yet ((((()))) love to everyone (((())))

Bill thinking of you and Mandy ((((((()))). love to Barbara ((())) Carol ((())) Christine (((())) Yvonne ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem

Heart Full Of Tears By Kathleen T

With dark hair and eyes

I looked quite solemn

when that photo was taken.

Unremarkable,

unsmiling.

Different to now.

Bald, moon faced, alien.

No tears in my eyes,

but plenty in my heart.

Toni, I can't seem to find a happy or funny poem. Of course you will know what this one's about. AGAIN! 🙄

I'm so pleased you chatted with Bill. I apologize for the Tesco tip, it didn't seem to work that way last night. I just happened to be awake at midnight, so put my phone on and nabbed a slot pretty quickly then when the confirmation email arrived I went to bed. This morning I checked again just to be nosy - NO SLOTS AT ALL. If I hadn't checked, I wouldn't have got one myself. Of course then I felt bad in case you and Barbara didn't get one either. ☹️

mig, what a beautiful photo. I don't know where it is, but nowhere near me, that's for sure. I haven't a clue when I see Dr P again. I could do with either my MTX dose increasing, or an infusion of Truxima. My Vasculitis is flaring, as is my RA. Leflunomide and Pred don't seem to be helping at the moment, and I daren't even mention the Sjogren's. I know they are encouraging us to contact our docs if we need to, but I don't feel comfortable doing that, as an appointment with rheumy means booking patient transport to get me there.

Joan, Anita is fine on the tablets, but I won't know whether they are working until she has a scan. But it's good they are resuming cancer treatments. My friend Amanda has begun hers too. I just hope they haven't left it too late as we don't want her becoming terminal. 😲

Chris8, I hope my photo didn't scare you. bald and moon face hits the target. Cancer, chemo and steroids - not a good combination as far as looks are concerned. 🤣

Roasted-Chickpea and Kale Salad With Sun-Dried Tomato Vinaigrette 

Ingredients

• 1 (28 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    • 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
    • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 1 small bunch curly kale, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 1 quart of greens)
    • 1/2 cup pine nuts
    • 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, thinly sliced
    • 4 scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
    • 1 medium clove garlic, grated (about 1 teaspoon)
    • 2 tablespoons juice and 1 teaspoon zest from 1 lemon, plus more juice as desired
    • 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Frank's
    • 2 teaspoons sherry or red wine vinegar
    • 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
    • 1 cup fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped

Directions

1. 1.
    2. Adjust oven racks to upper and lower middle positions and preheat oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with paper towels. Spread chickpeas on top and roll around under your hands to thoroughly dry. Transfer chickpeas to a large bowl. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, cumin, and paprika. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Discard paper towels and line baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spread chickpeas over foil and transfer to oven. Roast on upper rack, shaking pan occasionally, until chickpeas are about 3/4 their original size with a dense, nutty texture, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
    3. 2.
    4. Meanwhile, add kale to now-empty chickpea bowl. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and massage kale until well-coated in oil. Set aside at room temperature.
    5. 3.
    6. Place pine nuts in a skillet and transfer to lower rack of oven. Toast, stirring occasionally, until pine nuts are deep golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a bowl. Set aside.
    7. 4.
    8. In a medium bowl, combine sun-dried tomatoes, scallions, garlic, lemon juice, zest, hot sauce, vinegar, and remaining 3 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper and stir well with a fork.
    9. 5.
    10. When chickpeas are cooked and slightly cooled, add to bowl with kale. Add pine nuts, sun-dried tomato dressing, cilantro, and mint. Toss with hands until well-combined. Adjust seasoning with more salt, pepper, and/or lemon juice as necessary.

• barbara12
    Options
    Morning all..I honestly thought I had posted yesterday.. for goodness sake ..what is my name....
    Right cant remember everything but I always read your post
    Kath dont worry I have only just seen your tip..I will keep trying..I am glad to hear dad us ok...and had his sandwitch delivered...bless how old is he.....
    Thankyou for the poem ..yes they are miserable but good...xx
    Joan I am glad to hear Sue can take the dogs for a little walk..and ride on the wheelchair.. will you join her...xx
    Chris yes you will get there with the driving.. I was shocked to pass first time..think he felt sorry for me because I was caring for my mum...xx
    Mug what a lively walk..we have the bluebells in our garden ..and they have just flowered..they spread like mad but so lovely to see..hope all us well with you and your family..how is mr mig and was it his hip or knee..xx
    Toni I am going to get another Aleexa..my era us the 60s..oh my God..how old am I
    Now I want that lovely teapot..it us beutiful..thankyou for the pancakes I do over indulge with them I'm afraid...
    I do enlarge my laptop but gare scrolling across on it..but needs must cause I am missing my smileys..
    I had food delivered yesterday from our pub the last are so kind she had trud 4 times when they were doing the rd..so they are now in the freezer..2 hotpots..2 skinny pies steak and stilton...so I am happy...
    Love to all
    Xxxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • chris8
    Options
    Good afternoon all, hope it's another Sunny day where you'd are...
    @frogmorton Hey Toni! Hope you're alright, made me laugh the Mulletesque comment haha cool that you had a Pineapple perm Haha actually sounds pretty decent :) aye can't beat a drop of Porridge either unlike that and Ready break, bad I know lol that book is seriously recommended! Definitely opens up the mindset, sure you would probably enjoy it also...
    Hi @mig never spoke before but hope you're well
    Hey @dachshund yes so far so good, the Weather is nice again and in another proactive mood so cant complain :) hope you're well yourself
  • YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    Options

Hi everyone,

How I love popping in to hear how you are all? Toni, I love that mug, I may have to send Lynx over to have a word with Sleek, she is sure she would be excellent at magic! I worry she would be too bossy to learn anything!

Joan thank you for the hugs today, they are most welcome, it’s been a busy day.

Kath, the poem is so poignant- you are a brave lady and a great spokesperson for us, saying the things that are hard to say, helping others feel the emotional burden, (((())))

Barbara you forgot to post? Well that’s means you were busy with other things which is good, it gives you more to say when you get here!

Hi Chris8, It’s lovely to see you, now porridge is always good, even on a warm day, though I’m a bit into Greek yoghurt and fruit just now

I've been painting the shed today, trying to get the patio looking nice and the shed is just there. It’s a forest green which is the colour it was before it got faded and worn off. I think another coat tomorrow will finish it off nicely.

love to you all

Yvonne x