Val's Cafe

Options

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Evening all..our sunday lunch was delicious.. will I ever cook again hahaha..
    Tulula your very welcome..like Toni says there is cake in abundance..Toni makes them and our Aidan taught her very well xx
    Chris see you have the interior design patter off..I very nearly hired you there..:)...I do need colour.must say...I need to clear out but now the charity shops are closed..we will have to wait..xx
    Joan I hope you have had our nice weather today..did you both get out with the doggies..xx
    Toni vegan white chocolate.. or you vegan or just veggie..do vegan not have anything with milk in....I do love white chocalate...:)...I can imagine how busy Charlie is...must be awful seeing the residents poorly, I really feel for them..there is no getting away from it...:(
    Oops nearly forgot thankyou for breakfast..is there no one delivering meals nearby.. I highly recommend it.....hahaha
    Kath what an awful shame.. can you ring your rhyme or are they keeping people away for now..I do hope things improve very soon.. bless (((((()))))
    I love the Aidan poem..its so him..the other poem..well least said..thankyou for the red onion and beetroot tart..anther recipe I might try..xx
    I hope Carol is ok I haven't seen her on here..xx
    Right I'm off to bed..
    Love to everyone
    Xxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,486
    Options

Joan I know what it is! They have COVID badly at Charley's Nursing home. They lost 7 people in 7 days 😕 Chraley is doing ok now just her usual asthma cough. Wow! That is an enormous kitchen! Really useful though for wheelchairs and little doggies 🐕️

Kath I do remember that poem of course I can cope with it because it's about the café and it's funny. Now the other one....far more atmospheric and definitely thought provoking🤔

Sleek is rather bothered about you and has been in her ickle house pottering jars clanking puffs of purple and pink smoke coming out of the windows

the occasional small explosion. She had Tosca's spell book on her table and I believe has made some special potions for you. She is most concerned and like me wants you to telephone your rheumy team for advice today.

Iceland did well then? That's great! I would never have thought of them before this you know.

🌈🌈🌈 and ((()))

Chris had a clearout! WOW! Aidan used to call it 'immaculising'! I am most impressed go you!

Clackers that sounds right they do clack don't they? Like a bunch of us together!! Mind you no football matches ATM so not much job opportunities there for us lot 🤔

Galaxy chocolate! On the list galaxy vegan choc......good thinking. White hot chocolate is the elixir of life i tell you!!!

Now above is my pusskin's ickle house. She nosed over my shoulder and read what you said about Magnolia paint and is after me to decorate it for her now🙄 I expect you know cats can read?

Barbara i am so glad your dinner was so lovely! Don't cook it's better for the environment (fibber Toni!) Actually someone is doing food deliveries.....they are and one or two had them. the other week a group of us had chips delivered. I am now vegan not veggie I decided to ditch the milk to help my cough...not sure it worked though.

Aidan did indeed teach me well although I had to take over so suddenly on 9th December when he had his heart attack. Oh gosh I'm upsetting myself again sorry everyone. 😪 Having said that i never want to forget him.

Been chatting quite a bit to Cris (Skezier???) she's doing ok bless her although she has had a chest infection the antibiotics working.

How are your kidneys and your GD and her fiancée? Charley is like her loves the people so much she just wants to do her best for them.

Is it getting towards s****r season😮 

Erm my cosgan isn't working...???

Oh well lets have some breakfast anyway!

Starting the week off healthily!

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,957
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath I'm sorry Tesco didn't have all your shopping (((()))we have Sainsbury 's some times they bring it in a neighbour s always there waiting to bring it in. I hope all is well with you and Anita and your Dad (((()))))

Chris8 I hope everything is well with you ((())) we live in a bungalow there are only 11 in the side road is yours a busy road.

love to Barbara (((()))Toni (((()))) Mig ((())) Carol (((()) Yvonne (((())) Tallulah ((((()))) Bill (((())))

)))))))

take care
    joan xx
  • dachshund
    Options

Toni I just saw you Charley is the right person for that job I bet they love her ((())) Nice to hear Cris is getting on all right (((()))) love to everyone ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

No poem today, sorry. My laptop is playing up and I can't be bothered with it. Just to tell you that fr anyone who shops online with Iceland, they will be adding new delivery slots at 11am Monday - Friday. But they go within seconds. You get put in a queue (just like Tesco) and a little stick man appears, trotting along, then the slots appear. BUT BE QUICK.

Chris8, my husband says they were called football rattles. They were banned because people used them as weapons - idiots! 🙄

Sending everyone love and hugs, and hopefully things will be better tomorrow.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    Options
    Evening all
    Kath how has today been..I have been worried about you..((((()))). And I am glad you hot your shopping delivered..thankyou for letting us know about iceland...I do need frozen veg..trouble is now Niamh cant come we dint need much...:((.hope today has been a little better since miss sleek played a visit xx
    Joan do you an Sue still have the same carers..you are right only certain people can do the job and Charley and our gd are 2 of them...xx
    Toni now that really is my kind of breakfast.. mr B thinks its aluen like salads...hahaha
    We facetimed Niamh today,she is so loving ..and there little cat moggies has gone missing ..so she was worried about her..
    So Charley has asthma like our GD..they both do a good job and very caring..:)
    I must text Chris..I didn't like to bother her when the puipy was stolen..I text her a couple of times since...you are so lucky to have met her..she really is a one off...give her my love xx
    I used to have a pond in my garden but when the gc came along i filled it in..well i have decided to have another ..so our son dug it out..now i need a liner and some stone to go around it..cant wait...:)
    I will try to post a pic if my first one many years ago ..i dug that myself..
    Right i am rambling.love to everyone
    Xxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Brilliant Barbara that you are going to have your pond back!! You will have all sorts going on like Christine does newts and frogs! Niamh is old enough to be sensible isn't she? She will love the wildlife. YOU dug the original pond? wow!!! I have LOTS of stone you can have :)

LOVELY to facetime her I bet she misses you. I hope their cat reappears. One of my nieces lost hers the other day 2 days it took for him to come home! She was beside herself :(

Paul is the same with salad, but he will eat porridge under duress. 🙄

Cris (skezier) is a one-off for sure bless her it was over 5 years ago the pup was taken, but i try not to mention her now. We met her many times as we all love Cornwall the kids all loves her. Remember she calls her anumals her 'employers'?!!!

Yes our girls are very caring - maybe too caring for their own good. Ah well.

No poem kath? Fair enough there are times when it can all be too much aren't there and if your lap top is playing up I get it 🙄

look i found you hippety hopping through the manatees water!

11am is Iceland, but you have minutes- seconds. Lucy can just get her deliveries like that you know. She ordered from Sains (in scotland) on Friday it came Monday!

Thanks to your Chris - football rattles. I had a small one to rattle at the baby rabbits when Sleek went out I must look for it....

This is for you

Lots of Aidenesque sparkles! The little person should be throwing them down to you, but the smiley isn't working perfectly 🤔

Thanks Joan Charley is the right person for the job bless her thank you she just loves the people and that's that! A lovely sunny morning here,but the wind has been chilly the last few days. Love to you all to ((()))

Where is Chris8??? I hope she's ok? looking for work as a football rattle? No point Chris the football isn't on ATM!

Seriously I hope she's ok.

Breakfast today....erm omelette I think

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

. Kath I'm sorry you have a problem with your laptop (((())) thank you for saying about Iceland we use Sainsbury's love to everyone ((()))

Barbara that's nice you having your pond back ((((()))) how is your brother (((()))) love to everyone (((())))

Toni thank you for saying about Cris has she still got the horses (((()))) yes sue still has the same carers.

Love to Paul (((())) Lucy Charley Tia and your good neighbour ((((())))

love to Carol Chris8 Mig Yvonne Bill (((())))

take care
    joan xx
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options

Afternoon all

Yes I am fine no I have not been abducted by any aliens 👾👾👾👾👽👽👽👽😄😄 I have been doing some organising of my craft stuff. I had a wheeled container with all my card making bits and one of the wheels broke, it was very old and only plastic. So I ordered a metal filing type cabinet I spent a whole afternoon sifting through the stuff and sorting it out and getting rid of bits that were no good. I have also been doing some knitting. I am trying to find a nice pattern to knit or crochet a knee blanket for youngest daughter.

Hi Talula welcome to our little cafe yes calorie free cakes and endless cakes. We are a happy little group and a caring group too. A little about myself I live with my husband known as Mr T (his real name is Leslie but he likes to be called Les.) that’s also a new bit of info for others on here. We have 2 daughters 3 grandchildren 2 girls one boy and 6 great grandchildren 4 girls and 2 boys. Hope to chat to you more in the cafe.

Toni I haver received you order details from Flamingo thank you for the order please can you let me know when you receive them. I am sure you will enjoy the craft kits please can we have a picture of the sloth 🦥. So Charley has the good old asthma cough. I remember being told once by a doctor that you don’t get a cough with asthma. 🙄🙄🤔.

Kath. Mr T says glad you enjoyed music in the night.

On Facebook at the moment I am doing a nan challenge I have to put I picture a day which makes me happy to be a nanny I am up too day 5. I thought you might like to see some I have done so far

Stay positive always👍xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem (you might remember it)

Battling Cobwebs

Each morning while out in my garden,

the cobwebs are draped all around.

They stretch across fences and bushes,

all the way down to the ground.

Their invisible threads do annoy me,

as they brush up against my face!

I end up covered all over my head

and they cling to me just like lace.

It really is quite a battle,

avoiding those traps spiders lay,

I won't be one of their victims.

I have to plan every day.

So every morning with broom aloft,

Sweeping the webs right and left,

spiders fly all ways then scurry off,

Looking quite cross and bereft.

But as I look out of my window

I know they'll be back again,

And all I can do until morning,

Is hope that we have heavy rain!!

Holly has just gone to the shop, with her new neighbours in tow. She gets vouchers for Esme's lunch, as at school sh has free meals. She also gets a food parcel from SS as she is fostering her younger sister. I had a chat in Messenger with my son Richard this morning. I hope someone might benefit from the info about Iceland.

Joan, do you go to Sainsburys, or do you shop online? Are you self isolating? Although that must be difficult with the carers needing to come for Sue. Anyway, you both stay safe.

Barbara, a pond, how lovely. I always wanted one, but our garden is tiny, but I'm glad we don't have one now as we wouldn't be able to tend it.

Toni, mmmm, cheesy mushroom omelette. Perfect, thank you. Did you notice the cake (one that Aidan would approve of) in Matron's Munchies?

Clapping for the NHS, Carers, Delivery drivers, postmen, teachers etc.

Hehehe, he's so cute, as is this one. Although it's still not working.

Well done Lucy for getting her delivery. Well done Charley for being such a kind and loving person and a carer.

Ingredients

Ingredient Checklist

• 2 ½ cups small cauliflower florets
    • 8 ounces white mushrooms, halved
    • ½ small onion, coarsely chopped
    • 2 large cloves garlic, divided
    • 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    • 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
    • ½ teaspoon salt, divided
    • ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
    • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
    • 1 cup canned chickpeas
    • 2 cups cooked quinoa
    • 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari or soy sauce
    • 1 (28 ounce) can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
    • ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
    • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil

Directions

Instructions Checklist

• Step 1
    • Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
    • Step 2
    • Pulse cauliflower, mushrooms, onion and 1 garlic clove in a food processor until finely chopped, about 15 pulses. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cauliflower mixture, 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool, stirring a few times, for 5 minutes.
    • Step 3
    • Add chickpeas to the food processor; puree until smooth. Add the chickpea mixture to the large bowl along with quinoa and tamari (or soy sauce); stir to combine. Form the mixture into 24 balls (about 2 1/2 tablespoons each) and place on the prepared baking sheet.
    • Step 4
    • Bake the meatballs until heated through and firm, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet for 3 minutes.
    • Step 5
    • Meanwhile, finely chop the remaining garlic clove. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, tomatoes, crushed red pepper and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Bring to a simmer. Cook until the flavors have melded, about 5 minutes. Serve the meatballs with the sauce, sprinkled with basil.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• chris8
    chris8 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Afternoon all, hope you're all well.
    @barbara12 haha I talk a good game interior designing but not as creative as I sound Haha totally agree on the Charity shops comment, some bargains and hidden gems them places sometimes. Hope you're well.
    @frogmorton hey hows things? Football clackers or rattles are one of the same I think lol made me laugh when I seen somewhere they was used as a Weapon lol and with your reading Cat I may have inadvertently created a project for you. Ooops lol
    Hi to @dachshund @kathleenT @Turbogran and whoever else I may have missed out. Hope you all well
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options

Good evening

Its ok 👍🏼 I have not been abducted by 👽 👽👽👾👾👾or anything 😀😀 I‘ve been busy The last couple of Days Sorting out my card making stuff, I had a large plastic draw unit on castors with all the bits in , last week it suddenly looked lopsided we discovered it had a broken castor it was old anyway. So I brought a new metal office desk cabinet when I got I spent one whole afternoon clearing out what was no good. I have also been knitting and trying to get to grips with crochet I can do the basic stitches but to read a pattern i am hopeless. Have also been trailing the internet for a pattern to. Make a nice blanket for my youngest daughter to use in the winter as her flat can get a bit draughty. And of course there is making sure I get shopping delivery slots.

Hi Talula welcome to our little cafe with its loving caring people. And it’s calorie free cakes and of course it’s an endless supply. A little about me I live with my husband Mr T real name Leslie but prefers to be called Les ( a new bit of info for the rest of you too) we have 2 daughters, three Grandchildren 2 girls 1 boy, and 6 great grandchildren 4 girls 2 boys.

Toni I have had my notification of your order from flamingo 🦩 🦩there is a delay they tell me in the deliveries as they are having to have less staff in the warehouse because of social distancing . But you will get them. Can you let me know when you receive them please. I hope you will like the craft kits it would be good to see a picture on here when you have done them. So Charley has the asthma cough too. I remember being told by a doctor That was at one of our St. John first aid aid duties that asthma dose not cause a cough 🤔🤔🙄🙄🙄 I think differently

Kath Mr t says he is glad you enjoyed music of the night

on Facebook I am doing a nan challenge where I have to post a photo a day for 10 days as to what make me proud to be a nanny. I Am on day 5 and thought you may like to se my pictures so far

I am hoping you are not seeing this. For the second time as I tried to edit a post earlier this afternoon and lost my connection and whilst doing it also seemed to lose the post as well but a i has scrolled back this evening it is showing from this afternoon but of course I now cannot delete it or edit it . Perhaps Yvonne or Bryn could delete the one I made at 1.37 pm this afternoon.

love and sparkles to you all ❤️❤️❤️🌈🌈🌈

Stay positive always👍xx
  • barbara12
    Options
    Evening all..another lively day thank goodness
    Toni why are men so strange with food..or is it just ours..hahaha..my late dad would eat anything put un front of him my mum said..
    Yes a pond
    .I need your stones though..have tried to get some ..but they want me to have a pallet...
    Niamh makes us laugh she is so old headed..but so caring...ooh thankyou for the lovely fluffy omelette...:).
    Cris was so good to me when I was having back injections..and was texting to keep me occupied..bless her..I would love to meet her.
    It's so long since we went to Cornwall we had many happy holidays there.. xx
    Chris8 is busy again practicing interior decorating..are you any good with gardens..I love gardening but OH is not keen.
    But does help..now I know all the best charity shops.. :)xx
    Carol I have been watching your gm challenge in fb..forgive ne if I forget to like ..I live seeing all your photos..bet you cant wait to give them all an hug...its nice to be organised..makes life easier xx
    Joan..is Sue ok we haven't seen her on Fridays..hope you had the nice weather its says much colder next week...and thankyou we are are all fine..my brother has the drinks now to top up his food
    .but is doing ok xx
    Kath how was today ir shouldn't I ask...(((())) glad you have seen Holly..and I'm glad they get vouchers for the childrens meals.. I was worrying how children on free school meals would be looked after.. it must out Holly's mind at rest...I find spiders webs fascinating when the frost in on the webs..a brilliant poem
    Right thats my eyes done..
    Love to all
    Xxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Morning! The sun is out already I hope that wind has dropped it was chilly out yesterday.

Joan yes Cris still has horses and sheep and cats and dogs bless her! She's a lovely lady if a bit soft puts them all before herself. Love to you and Sue ((()))

Carol i love the photos! You have such a lovely family of course you will be proud to be a Nan with all of them to have in your life 🙂

Mr T is a Leslie then? Yes Les for short, that's good to know, but we like calling him Mr T and our generic term for all the GGChildren 'the little people' I bet you are missing visiting them all. Ah well better to be alive safe and well to visit in future.

Of course I will make sure you have a pic of the Sloth once he's done. I will be doing him for my Sister, Kari's birthday she adores them. Will practice on the other kit first as it looks a bit tricky🤔 I am very much looking forward to having some fun.

I must say well done to you for tidying your craft supplies out into a new cabinet. You will be very glad of it when you do your crafting in future.Lucky GD having a new blanket to keep her warm on chilly evenings.

Barbara Cris is near Bodmin really and she has a Cornish accent. She is extremely smiley and well just nice! daft with those animals though🙄

I wish you COULD have my stones I really do I have too many far too many and they are gorgeous stones. Pics of the pond will be necessary so you need to work out how to upload them.....🤔 You can whatsapp me though!

I'm glad you enjoyed the omelette. Niamh is old-headed? Well that will stand her in good stead for her future 💜

Kath I LOVE the web! So pretty and clever and not having a s****r in it is very useful!

I will use Iceland when I can't get Tesco so the info is very useful.

Good that Holy is getting some help what a lovely girl she is fostering her younger sister. I hope she is good for her. They can be a challenge young girls🙄 Lovely to chat to Richard I a sure. With Charley i ahve to time it around her shifts not so easy.

I'm glad you liked the little smilies I thought they were rather 'you'! They should move really must ask @Brynmor how to post them so they remain in motion....perhaps the old way? [img]https://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/froehlich/s057.gif[/img]

We shall see eh?

I must go and have some cake especially if it's Aidenesque! The vegan meatballs look amazing better that shop bought ones. Thank you for our daily poem too yes those threads! They do trap you I do my best to dodge them if I can, but a broom would do,

Chris8 good to see you my sister loves charity shops so I am always sneaking in with her and yes have found one or two hidden gems. They will be full to bursting once this is all over won't they?😮

You did know that cats can read of course? Of course you did Sleek said cats can read...their spelling can be a bit iffy, but she's a bit rude about dogs and says they are too 'fik' to read. Though she reckons they are quite good at 'maffs'.

I might just paint her ickle house...

What have you been up to then? I've been listening to absolute 80s, and doing my jigsaw, but really ought to get on with something a bit more useful!

Love to everyone

Toni xx

• frogmorton
    Options

Forgot our breakfast!

fritatta!

Vegan option available....

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath that's good you are coping alright love to Chris (((()))) Anita ((())) and your Dad ((())) we are shielding we still go out for an hour with the dogs we phoned the Doctors she said we have no need to stay in. We do Sainsburys on line sue is given one slot a week.

Barbara that's good our brother has the drinks to help him swallow ((())) our friend had Koi carp in her pond.

Carol lovely photos I saw them on Facebook (((())) have a good day love to Mr T ((()))

Chris8 have a good day ((()))

Toni Chris is on her own so she loves her animals like us we have no one else they are our life.

Love to everyone ((((()))))

Love to Bill Mig Yvonne ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • chris8
    Options
    Morning all on this Sunny midweek day!
    @barbara12 Good morning Barbara hope you're well, I dont proclaim to be an avid Gardener or anything but where I live currently I did actually revamp it from what resembled wasteland and probably a Garden many moons ago lol into somewhere to sit out. It's only small probably 2 meters by 3 meters but dug right down levelled it out as it was slightly sloping and laid Artificial Grass and bedded in some plants and got a bistro table and chairs. One of my favourites is a Red Cordalyne plant (think that's how it's spelt) Laid artificial Grass as it's too small for a lawnmower plus easy maintenance now. That kept me busy for a while haha unfortunately though it's not South facing so the Sun usually over the other side...
    @frogmorton Morning Toni hows yourself? Yes the Charity shops will be busy when Open, guess some will be having Spring cleaning clear outs, maybe that's now my next item on my tick list lol nothing wrong with Absolute radio 80's (hope you've got your Madonna perm in!) Haha and Jigsaws, yes another good pastime to keep ticking over. Myself I've just been plodding on, trying to create jobs and things to keep busy lol into my Gaming on the Computer too so usually do that and currently been Reading. Just read Brian Clough (Football manager) autobiography, which was a great entertaining read, proper old school his methods and mannerisms which I think is best way :) as always the Breakfast post you posted looked yummy!
    Hi @dachshund Hope you're well and it's a nice day today also for you and Lexi! :)
  • barbara12
    Options
    Afternoon all..another nice day...
    Chris you did work hard in your garden..you myst be proper proud...its nice to have somewhere to sit small or big..and just contemplate.. :)..I have always loved gardening..but these days its hard work ..but still keep pottering..myst say I liked Bruan clough..what you saw was what you got with him...does that sound right...hahaha..xx
    Toni thankyou for the frittata something I like making because it's easy.:)...I would certainly have your rocks...I have just seen some on facebook selling..but they want digging up so our son is going to have a look..fingers crossed...
    Now what this Sloth you are making.. must have missed that.??
    I live miss sleek like house..it looks so cosy bless..yes paint it nice and bright...xx
    Joan I am so glad you can both have a ride out...:)think we will have a little walk today..you both keeo safe...xx
    Love to everyone and hello to Kath...
    Xxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem (for ALL grandmas).

Grandma's Sunshine

Sunshine comes in many forms.

-  -  -  -  -  -

That which comes up in the morning

and goes down at night.

And little girls who

are Grandma's De-light.

-  -  -  -  -  -

She rises in the morning

sometimes cloudy,

sometimes bright,

but always Grandma's De-light.

-  -  -  -  -  -

Sometimes she rains tears

torrential they may pour

but comforted by the voice

of the One who loves her so.

-  -  -  -  -  -

Sometimes she shines bright

the warmth of hugs and smiles.

Love overflowing in the heart,

it's all Grandma's De-light.

-  -  -  -  -  -

Love is forever and always

whether its stormy or bright.

Love covers all situations

For all is Grandma's De-light.

-  -  -  -  -  -

Sunshine's  Eyes and Smiles

Light up the world around her.

Creating more smiles in their eyes

when first they did find her

-  -  -  -  -  -

When Grandma's day is gloomy

Sunshine arrives with much to say

with happy stories, hugs and smiles

to brighten up the cloudiest day.

-  -  -  -  -  -

When Sunshine goes to bed

it usually can be said

Sunshine's eyes cease to gleam

when energy's gone, time to dream.

-  -  -  -  -  -

Eyes close and all is well

in Sunshine Land I do tell.

Grandma's De-light in peaceful sleep

The day is over, it will keep.

-  -  -  -  -  -

She is after all

Grandma's Sunshine.

11-01-2014 (c)

John Stevens

Written by request of Grandma

Sunshine is five.

Going on fifteen.

Carol, thank Mr T for playing music from Phantom, it was beautiful. As are your photos. I think todays poem ought to be a tribute to our very own Supergran.

Barbara, you confused me for a moment, I thought we had 2 Barbaras! As for men and food HA! Chris has only just started eating Macaroni heese because he thinks it smells of baby sick. 🙄

Chris8, your garden must look wonderful, you must come and do ours. 😏

Toni, glad you enjoyed the cake. Thanks for breakfast.

Hi to TalulaXX

Cauliflower Tacos with Yum Yum Sauce

RECIPES › HEALTHY DINNER RECIPES ›

Search

Jump to Recipe

These cauliflower tacos with breaded cauliflower, refried beans and silky Yum Yum sauce are all about one thing: big flavor!

Behold the taco. Canvas for all kinds of deliciousness, from traditional like barbacoa with tomatillo salsa to fusion like Korean beef or Thai tofu. Most of the time Alex and I eat a whole food plant based diet, so we’re always looking for creative ways to use veggies. And the taco is the perfect canvas for creating some insane veggie flavors and textures! And this one is our new favorite: these Crispy Cauliflower Tacos. 

How to make cauliflower tacos

OK, on to this recipe! We have a delicious cauliflower tacos recipe in our cookbook, Pretty Simple Cooking, but we’ve never posted one here on A Couple Cooks. So here goes: the star of these easy cauliflower tacos is our Crispy Breaded Cauliflower. It’s roasted in the oven and covered in a savory, salty, sweet and lightly spicy breading. It’s a bit of a play on breaded fish tacos (though of course the flavor is quite different!).

Accessorize that with some refried black beans, tart cabbage slaw, and cilantro. (We used canned refried beans, but you can also make our homemade version.) Then cover it all in a delicious sauce: this Yum Yum Sauce recipe. Yum Yum Sauce is used in Japanese steakhouses and served with seafood, but here we’ve used it as a bit of a “fusion” element to accessorize with this vegetarian taco recipe. It’s so, so tasty and adds a richness to the tacos that’s incredible. It’s certainly not a health food in itself, but a little goes a long way here!

If you’d like to make a different sauce from the Yum Yum Sauce for these cauliflower tacos (there’s a vegan variation in that sauce recipe), here are a few more ideas for delicious taco sauces that would be great here:

This cauliflower tacos recipe is…

Vegetarian, gluten-free, refined sugar free, and naturally sweet. For vegan, plant-based, and dairy-free, use the vegan Yum Yum Sauce variation or the Chipotle Tahini Sauce.

DESCRIPTION

These cauliflower tacos with breaded cauliflower, refried beans and silky Yum Yum sauce are all about one thing: big flavor!

INGREDIENTS

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Make the Crispy Breaded Cauliflower (about 40 minutes total; use the remaining time to complete the steps below.)
    2. If using purchased refried beans, taste and if needed, mix with 1/2 teaspoon cumin and/or a pinch or two kosher salt. (Or, you can make our Supremely Simple Refried Black Beans but for this recipe we preferred using storebought so we could focus on the cauliflower!)
    3. Thinly slice the cabbage, enough for 2 cups. Mix it with 2 tablespoons lime juice and a pinch or two of salt. Allow it to stand at room temperature until serving.
    4. Make the Yum Yum Sauce.
    5. Warm the tortillas, or char them by placing them on grates above an open gas flame on medium heat for a few seconds per side, flipping with tongs, until they are slightly blackened and warm.
    6. Chop the cilantro for a garnish.
    7. To serve, place refried beans in a tortilla, top with cabbage, breaded cauliflower, Yum Yum sauce, and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges to spritz prior to serving. (If you have leftover cauliflower, you can reheat them in a 350F oven for 10 minutes, flipping once.)

• frogmorton
    Options

Morning!🌞

Yesterday Charley's car insurance company sent her a food hamper! BECAUSE she is a key worker to thank her for all she is doing! How lovely is that? Made me well-up to think they noticed 😓

Joan yes Cris is on her own and sadly lost a few animals this last year - although she has still got plenty! Farley is still there (one of the horses) and several dogs and cats and chickens and a few sheep too!

Are all of Sue's carers still well?

Barbara how much are the rocks for sale for!? Mine are MASSIVE I will measure for you later.....but a long way from you and it took a tractor to get one out of the ground😮 You would have been welcome free if you were nearer of course.

Yesterday my plug trailing geraniums arrived from and are ready to put in my hanging baskets...help that's a big job which usually stresses me out.

Does your bro like the fortisips? Lucy use to hate them. I think she coped with the chocolate milkshake on at least. My neighbour as well she used to struggle so much. One or two of the lads loved them on the ward though maybe THAT is a man thing.

Cris is very kind and supportive definitely a loss to this forum.

Chris8 wow you did do a great job I hope the elderly neighbour appreciates what you did? My eldest Charley LOVES gaming. It's her go to wind down method. She works in a nursing home so needs to wind down at the moment for definite.

We should save gaming and jigsaws for wet days I think the weekend isn't gong to be too nice, but that doesn't matter ATM does it every day is the same....🙄

Actually I could do my 80s perm if I wanted I have several wigs here for scarecrows! Now what 80s hair do would you have had?

Now Kath that poem is LOVELY it sums up Carol and also sums up our Barbara too (12 or 2😁 ) who is a super-Gran too and yourself!! That's how much Grandmas love their GKids to a 'T'

I rather think those tac0s are vegan as well as veggie and look very tasty indeed ta very muchly 🙂

My Dad would only eat macaroni cheese if it had bacon it it. If there was no meat in a meal he reckoned he was 'hungry' 🙄 Imagine your Chris not eating it until recently! Mind you I only liked parsnips about 5 years ago. They were too sweet!

What shall we have for breakfast this morning i wonder🤔

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Chris8 a small garden is easy to manage (((()))) we have a big garden just right for the dogs and any plants we want.

Kath I hope all is well with you and your family ((((())))) love to Anita (((())) and your Dad ((()))

. Barbara what are you going to have in your pond. Love to your brother and his girlfriend (((()))) Good luck getting the stones you could ask on the radio there might be some one nearer you (((())))

Toni yes the carers are still working I don't think the ones with Asthma are because of wearing a mask.

Good luck to Lucy for the 5 years good (((()))) how long will Charley have the symptoms for until the end of the year (((()))) love to Tia (((())))

love to Carol (((())) Mig (((())))Bill (((()))) Yvonne (((())))

take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    Options
    Afternoon all I will give you a laugh
    We have a rotary line in the garden so OH pegged some washing out..after 4oclock might I add.
    He brings them in and my knickers are damp..so his solution is to put them in the window to dry in the sun...wont repeat what I said..but he thought it was very clever...:( must say I am laughing now..men eh..
    Toni we got some stones yesterday ..I only need smallish ones..and dont have a crane..hahaha..thankyou for the offer..
    How lively if Charley insirance sending the food..little things go such a long way..:):)
    Thankyou for
    breakfast..has you know I do like my eggs..
    I used to sat to Cris she should write a book on her life...I rember her giving Jamie Dodger to the sheep..and she traveled UK to Scotand to pick up a lamb..she should get an MBE..bless her xx
    Joan I dont think the pond will be big enough for fish..but we have lots if newts around her and had many in our old pond and frogs..I hope you are all well..xx
    Kath what a lovely poem..and it's so lovely to be a grandma..has you know..i am over using lovely here....
    Yes I change my ouch thought you would all be suck if my face..hahaha
    Now the cauliflower tacos sound good..I eat lots if caulie its good for inflammation.. so they say xx
    Right i will make a move
    Love to all
    Xxxxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • chris8
    Options
    Good afternoon all on another Sunny day hope you're ALL keeping well :)
    @barbara12 Hi Barbara hows things? Apart from the Washing mishap haha I did feel a sense of achievement turning was resembled wasteland to a habitable mini Garden haha my motivation was last Easter weekend it was really nice weather so did outside first instead of the internal. Its semi neutral inside at present as gor my eye on moving from here into a Bungalow but with the current situation its come to somewhat a standstill that and dont know if it's a possibility, we shall see :) Brian Clough, oh Cloughie was a character and a half wasnt he lol like you said what you saw was what you got. Best way to be me thinks :)
    @kathleenT Hey Kath you alright? :) I'm sure I could be tempted out of Gardening retirement if you're stocked up on Tea bags and Biscuits haha actually in this Weather, Cordial, Pop and Ice cream might be more fitting lol Another lovely poem and recipe also (Thumbs up)
    @frogmorton Hey Toni hows things yourself? Was lovely the gesture towards your Daughter, there is a lot of people out there doing plenty of Good for others, somewhat restores my faith in Humanity :) as for the 80s wig Haha do it do it! Haha my forced style in the 80s (Off parents) was probably a Spandau Ballet hairstyle and rocking Double denim or something (rolls my eyes) haha it was borderline cruelty which I'll have to remind them both after haha Charley is a cool name and cooler still she's a Gamer also! :) it is a welcome distraction mostly and if Gaming online can be another way to chat to decent people :)
    @dachshund Hello Joan hows Sunny Swindon?! A smaller Garden is certain low maintenance, more so having that artificial Grass, I've just got to sweep in occasionally lol but would rather prefer a decent Garden similar to yours :) Glad it's a Good size for you and your dogs :) oh and of course the Plants :) cant wait to add more myself, lovely this season seeing everything Bloom...
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem (I just HAD to post this one again as Chris8 hasn't seen it yet, and it is US to a T)

Truly Magical

Our forum is such a magical place,

with puss cats galore,

a magical door,

a lovely zoo

and zoo keepers too

what more could anyone need

The food’s full of taste,

we eat it in haste,

and our friends here are loving and kind.

We all have a laugh, a smile, a titter

and here, we all can unwind.

So forget your Arthur

and soak up the laughter

stroll through the garden, and zoo.

We’ll send massive hugs

and drive out your bugs

and start each day anew.

Toni, well done Charley. What a star all our key workers are. HOORAY FOR THEM. I am so proud of my own key workers, and I know you are proud of yours too.

Joan, yes, some people don't realize how serious Asthma can be.

Barbara, so if I want to see where you live, I'll just go to Google Earth and look for the house with knickers in the window. To get the pictures from Cosgan. right click the pic and select copy image, then back on the page, click paste. They don't move though.

Chris8, I hope you like our Red Pandas, we also have Meercats and bush babies too. The bush babies love jammy dodgers and will scoff several packets at once.

Chickpea and Cauliflower Curry (gluten-free)

For 8 serving(s).

Ingredients

• 3 tbsp canola oil
    • 1 small onion, chopped
    • 2 cloves garlic, minced
    • 2 tbsp curry powder
    • 1 tsp cinnamon
    • 1 tsp paprika
    • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
    • 1/4 tsp salt
    • 1 19 oz can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
    • 1 small cauliflower, cut into bite-sized pieces
    • 1 cup frozen green peas
    • 3/4 cup low sodium vegetable broth
    • 3/4 cup coconut milk
    • 10 sprigs cilantro, chopped

Method

1. In a large skillet, heat canola oil. Add onion and garlic and sauté until they start to brown. Stir in curry powder, cinnamon, paprika, cayenne pepper, bay leaf, ginger, sugar, and salt. Stir until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
    2. Add chickpeas, cauliflower, and peas. Stir in broth and coconut milk. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender. Remove from heat.
    3. Remove bay leaf. Garnish with cilantro and serve.

☺️

• frogmorton
    Options

Barbara! That lamb! Stayed in my house!!! It really did overnight Cris had a stop off at our old house. The kids spent the night babysitting it so Cris got some sleep for the rest of her journey back to Cornwall! She is an unsung hero right enough.

Your husband! How very dare he stick your bloomers on the windowsill😮 Aidan would have laughed at that wouldn't he?😃

I eat a lot of cauli too is that what's gining me inflammation?😉 hehe!

Well done for getting teh stones. I think fetching mine would have been impossible! Would have been nice to see you though!

Joan I think Charley's cough is just her asthma now I hope she'll be fine. Thank you for remembering Lucy's 5 years. We have been very very lucky haven't we with her? It isn't nice having masks on when your breathing is already iffy, but I am very glad to hear your carers are all well ((())) for you and Sue.

Kath we must ask@Brynmor the tech whizz how to get our gif-type cosgans to move🤔

Imagine Barbara's bloomers/britches in full view of the neighbours - the indignity!!

Love chickpeas and of course cauliflower thanks very much. Now today's poem what a good idea so Chris can see some of our previous antics. A lovey poem all about the Café

Yes 👍️ for all our 'key workers' especially the ones we know or are related to.

Chris8 I hope some of that made sense? We used to have a virtual sanctuary in our virtual cafe believe it or not to distract us for our pains. When someone was particularly struggling they could 'borrow' a bush-baby or maybe a possum (feed them jammie dodgers) to cuddle to take our minds off our arthritis.

Red pandas too we had to plant acres of bamboo for them🙄

Kath has choc ices if you are offering to help in her garden!! I did my baskets yesterday Paul put them in pots at my height ready compost too and I was off! Gone for trailing geraniums I hope they are effective...🤞

Thank you I have Charley and Lucy and my step is Tia. I went for normal names because my parents did the opposite with us and I hated standing out. Charley loves her gaming and still chats to the lads from school online while doing that her GF is very tolerant. You're right it is contact with teh outside world I expect much more so for kids at the present time.

The wigs...shall I? Maybe!! The builder who dd some work earlier this year does 1980s discos! When they are up and running again I might have to! So you were a child 'new romantic' then - oh gosh have you any pics?!!! Oh this we have to see

😁

😁

Go for a bungalow when this is all over. They are often a bit neglected, but that's you sorted for life and usually get a decent garden too.

Right some scran...