As through the years we went;

Gathering up such memories

Of happy childhood spent.

Playing in the garden,

Buying a new toy,

Sharing many secrets

Remembered now with joy.

Beetroot Dhal

Have you tried beetroot dhal before? The beetroot turns everything beautifully purple and rich and the flavour works really well with the lentils and Indian spices. This dish is inspired by a dish I ate at Slaw in London – a vibrant purple, creamy and slightly sweet dhal which I immediately fell in love with. Of course, I had to create my own version so here it is – earthy, delicious and very pretty indeed.

Ingredients: 

Roast Beetroot  

• 2 beetroot, chopped into small cubes 
    • Drizzle olive oil 

The dhal  

• 2 tbsp olive oil 
    • 2 tsp black mustard seeds
    • 1 tsp turmeric
    • 1 tsp cumin seeds
    • 1 tsp ground coriander
    • 1 tsp chilli flakes
    • 1 large onion, roughly chopped
    • 1 knob ginger, grated 
    • 4 cloves garlic, sliced 
    • 3 small beetroot, peeled & grated 
    • 200g red lentils, rinsed 
    • 700ml water 
    • 4 tbsp coconut cream or plain vegan yoghurt 
    • 1-2 tsp sea salt
    • Black pepper 
    • ½ tsp garam masala 

Optional add ins  

• For extra creaminess add 2-3 tbsp coconut yogurt or cream 
    • Fresh coriander 
    • Chilli flakes 

Gram (chickpea) flour flatbreads 

• 50g gram flour, sieved 
    • Pinch sea salt 
    • Splash olive oil 
    • ½ tsp apple cider vinegar 
    • 100ml water 

Method: 

To roast the beetroot

1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. 
    2. Place the veg on a baking tray and coat in olive oil, salt and pepper. 
    3. Bake for 45-50 minutes until soft in the middle and caramelised on the outside. Remove when cooked.

To make the dhal 

1. Firstly add the oil to a large frying pan and heat to a medium heat. Add in the mustard seeds. When they start to pop add in the cumin seeds, coriander, turmeric and chilli flakes. Stir for a few seconds then add the onion. Fry for aprox 8-10 minutes on a low to medium heat until soft and browning.
    2. Add in the garlic, ginger and grated beetroot and stir for another few minutes, 
    3. Cook for a further 3-4 minutes then add the lentils, water and coconut milk/yogurt. 
    4. Stir well then turn down the heat and put the lid on the pan. 
    5. Simmer for 30 minutes stirring occasionally. Add more water if needed. 

To make the flatbreads 

1. Add the gram flour and seasoning to a large bowl. Stir to combine. Add in the water, olive oil and vinegar. Mix to a smooth batter. Set aside for 10 minutes. 
    2. Add a little oil to the base of a non-stick small frying pan. Add 60ml/¼ cup of the batter to the pan and swirl around the bottom so you get an even crepe. 
    3. Cook on a medium heat for approximately 2 minutes until there are bubbles in the crepe and you can lift over to flip easily. 
    4. Flip and cook on the other side for 30 seconds to a minute.
    5. Remove from the pan and place on and cover with a clean cloth to keep warm. 
    6. Repeat the process with the remaining batter. 

To serve

1. Season well with salt, pepper and garam masala. 
    2. Top with the roast beetroot and coconut yogurt. 
    3. Scoop up with the flatbreads.

Barbara, I hope you enjoyed your day yesterday. My poem was for ALL mums, no matter how old. so it also includes Grand mums. And we all come under that category. I've got another one for mums, and one for dads too. I call them "my greetings card verses" They're all rubbish really, I prefer poetry that is deep and a mysterious, or even sad (or angry). For me, poems have to mean something, most of mine is pure drivel.

Joan, thank you, I do feel quite proud. I'd like to take the walker out every day, even if I only go a few yards. Being outside was glorious.

Antoinette, thank you. Mum did see it, I printed it on a piece of pink card with a piece of ribbon threaded through so she could hang it up. I think she binned it shortly after. We weren't close.

Love the tea pot, and the grub is yummy. ☺️

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• chris8
    chris8 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Hi all hope your well this Rainy Sunday afternoon, apparently it's going to be warm this week, we shall see... Yes still pink panthering lol and that Microwave I've to read the instructions it's that complex even for me lol Belated happy birthday @barbara12 seen something about your birthday, so if so hope you had a good one and plenty of cake :) Hi also to the usual @dachshund @frogmorton @kathleenT @Turbogran and whoever else I may have not mentioned :)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Evening all
    Toni its strange apart from not seeing our gds..I think I am sort of enjoying
    .no not enjoying but getting something out of this lock down and can you imagine when its over how much more we will appreciate things....:).glad you liked the cakes far to much yesterday. Hahaha.the balloons are still up outside..the little girl next door wants to take them down tomorrow ..bless
    I hope that Kari is feeling a little better.and you can see her very soon..now I love the retro teapot. Thankyou.xx
    Joan I sent you some pics on messengers.
    Not sure if you have got them..thankyou for the love and hugs...(((())))
    Chris thankyou..I had a lovely 70th Birthday..but sure it should have been 60..
    Tell you I think you might just have the same microwave has I have..never had such a complex one..hope you are keeping well.xx
    Kath I like your little verses...its good you enjoy writing the poetry..it can take you out of yourself..:)..
    Will you get a little walk in when its warmer I
    Keep thinking of those choc ices.. ;) xx
    I will try and get on my laptop tomorrow and post some pics when I transfer them off my phone
    Right off to bed for me..sleep well everyone.
    Xxxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,430
    Options

Morning Evertyone ☺️

Joan thank you for asking my really lovely neighbour is doing just fine. We saw them both yesterday - they were in their garden her husband is going to take them both out for a drive this week which she'll love 🙂 How about you and Sue how are you both?

Kath most of your poems are definitely NOT pure drivel!! Crikey! I know what you mean about ones with deeper meaning, but the fun stuff is good too and yes would be great in homemade cards! Yes I have a bro....🙄bane of my life back in the day, but not now. Now i wouldn't be without him bless him.

Thank you for the dhal recipe - I love dhal very much could eat it every day!

Gosh your Mum binned that?! Mine would have kept it up indefinitely it would have been something i would have had to dispose of after she died😮

Do you have an update on Anita? Sending love and ((())) to you all.

Oh dear me Chris8 you had rain?! We had a lovely day I even had to do some watering!! Not much need then for Pink Panthering was there for you yesterday let's hope today turns out better. Well done actually reading the instructions for the new microwave - most people do NOT!😁

Barbara I know what you mean about oddly enjoying these restrictions.....the pressure is off isn't it? A retired lady told another friend of mine that she was actually enjoying NOT having to get out by 7 to start Grandparent duties🙄

It is making us appreciate smaller things.

Some birthday pics would be lovely if you can do them. It's dead easy now off your lap top you just click on them and 'copy image' 🙂 How sweet the little girls wanting the festivities to still continue by leaving the balloons up a little longer. and WHY now?😉

Some breakfast - back to normal now have finished up all Barbara's party food....

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,936
    Options

v. Good morning everyone

Kath thank you for the poems (((()))) you will soon be saying you walked to the shop with Holly how is she (((()))love to Chris (((()))) how is Anita ((()))and your Dad (((())))

. Chris8 sorry you had rain ((())) we have it hot here. Have a good week

Barbara thank you for the photo's I will look for them on my phone ((((()))) I'm writing this on my tablet. Was the meal lovely love to your husband ((((())) and brother ((((()))) how is he doing.

Toni (((()))) is it nice and sunny there. how is Lucy (((())) love to Charley and her friend it's good they have one another to go though this ((())) Tia (((())) Paul (((())) have a good week.

. Love. to Bill ((()))Carol (((()))Mig ((())) Yvonne (((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

Daily Poem (a bit mawkish, but another greetings card verse).

MY MOTHER

On lonely nights when icy winds

Around my windows blow,

I like to curl up in my chair

And watch the embers glow.

My thoughts drift back to years gone by,

When I was just a child

And Mother's voice floats back to me

So tender and so mild.

Her sweet perfume and rosy glow

Brings teardrops to my eye,

Remembering how she used to sing

A gentle lullaby.

I keep her close within my heart

Although she's far away,

My Mother's love will linger on

Until I'm old and grey.

Joan, thank you for asking about us all. Holly and family are all safe, well and happy. Dad and Anita are also fine, Val is caring for Anita, but Marley is being naughty. I think he's confused by the different impressions he eperiences with Anita before and after her op. Dogs can smell cancer you know, sometimes they become quite distant while other times they want to be by mummy's side all the time. Poor boy must be confused.

Toni, my brother used to do his paper round on a unicycle. He was a bit bonkers though, One year mum and dad came home from holiday to find a coffin on his bed. He'd dressed up in a black suit and lay in it as a 'joke' to scare his mates. 😳

There's an awful lot of syrup on those pancakes, I think I'll take them to the booth and then shower after.

Barbara, I'm not allowed out on my own in case I fall. but we are still enjoying the ice creams at home. As long as you enjoy my little ditties, I'll keep posting them.

Courgette & Chickpea Filo Pie

A super-simple pie full of colour and richness – it tastes so good with a big dollop of houmous on the side.

Ingredients: 

• 2 tbsp olive oil
    • 2 red onions, cut into 8 wedges
    • 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
    • 3 courgettes, sliced
    • A pinch of dried chilli flakes
    • A small bunch of rosemary, leaves picked and chopped
    • A small bunch of thyme, leaves picked and chopped
    • 400g can of chickpeas, drained
    • 200g or 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
    • 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    • 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    • 10 sheets of filo pastry
    • Olive oil for brushing

Method: 

1. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the onions and cook for 3–4 minutes, until softened.
    2. Add the garlic and courgettes and cook until the vegetables are just tender and lightly coloured.
    3. Stir in the chilli, rosemary and thyme.
    4. Remove from the heat and stir in the chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.
    5. Transfer the mixture to an ovenproof dish.
    6. Heat the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3.
    7. Lay out a sheet of filo pastry on a work surface and brush with olive oil, then scrunch it up loosely so it looks like a rose. Drop it on top of the filling and repeat with the remaining filo to cover the dish.
    8. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes or until the filling is thoroughly heated through.
    9. Remove the foil and bake for about 5 minutes longer, until the pastry is golden.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    Options
    Evening all how late is this..sorry
    Toni ooh pancakes with syrup and blueberries..:)..how nice that your neighbour will get a ride out..different scenery will do them good...I just wish I could post pics from my phone..it would save me sending then to my laptop..anyway tomorrow I will post some ..promise..xx
    Kath is that Anita's little dog..how gorgeous is Marley.i did read once about a dog sniffing out cancer...how clever
    I am sorry you cant get out on your own..I keep forgetting that your oh is not well..but must say you do your very best...
    Yes I do like to read your ditty and poems..another lovey hear warming one
    Thankyou for the courgette and chickpea filo pie I am wondering now what it would taste like,:) xx
    Joan I am glad you got the pics..kath I am forgetting I have you on facebook just let me know if you want to see some..sorry back to Joan hope you have had better weather than we have..cold and very cloudy..not sure if we will get the warm weather in weds..xx
    Right I had better get to sleep
    Love to all
    Xxxxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Morning!

Joan we had a lovely day then at teatime it started to rain which was absolutely perfect! Lucy is doing ok was ordering her online shop yesterday when we were in touch. I hear from her every day 🙂 Charley is still there working like mad and Tia is now able to start rehoming dogs again 🙂 I hope all is well with you all? ((()))

Kath that poem was lovely I know someone who would have liked that poem very much. Aidan was very close to his Mum wasn't he? sigh...My bro was a bit of an attention seeker too. I think youngests often are, but heaven to betsy a coffin?

You are right about animals knowing something is wring. Daisy never left Lucy's side at ALL before she was diagnosed when we didn't know what was wrong. I think it's their senses of smell. I bet Marley is glad to have one of his mummies home though.

Even if it's tiny 'safe' walks on your walker it's good Kath I am pleased you did it.

The chickpea pie looks YUMMY thank you I shall take a slice each for myself and Paul and one for Kari if I may? The booth is working fine for eating messy foods as soon as we can we'll get it serviced 🤔

Chris8 I hope you are ok? Did you get the rain yesterday we did but not till teatime which was perfect i had been outside by then :)

Carol thinking of you Mr T ad all the children and Gchildren and GGchildren too ((()))

I hope Mig is being extra extra careful with this virus ((()))

Barbara how were you even awake at 10 something last night?? I can't do pics from my phone either mind you I haven't tried....shall I try? Maybe I should.🤔

I think chickpea and courgette filo will be lovely really scrummy but maybe a bit messy might need the Noo-noo out!

How is your bro doing? Still going strong? and Niamh have you 'seen' her this week yet?

English pancakes not american today. We have a choice of toppings with my favourite included - sugar and lemon 🙂🙂

• chris8
    chris8 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Good morning all, as always hope you're all well. It was actually fairly nice yesterday but woke up this morning to Rain in the early hours and its continued, at least it will do the Garden and plants good and no Pink panthering today! :)
    @barbara12 Many happy returns on your 70th Barbara hope that you had a lovely day even if it's a 60th part 2 hey :) did you do anything on your Birthday? Even if its Garden with Cake? :) That Microwave is a Samsung digital one with about 8 settings! One is to Melt or soften! Crazy haha ideal I guess for Cheese or Chocolate?? I just used to put Chese on for 30 seconds, the Joy's of technology hey... haha hope your all well.
    @frogmorton Good morning Toni hows things? Typical it Rained where you are AFTER you did the Watering haha happened to me last week, watered the Plants and it started drizzling haha but no, its definitely Raining today, glad you was already in yesterday by the time it started :) nice pancake pic too! Hope your 3 girls are well also.
    @dachshund Morning Joan hows things? Glad you've had the nice weather, hope its warm enough to be in the Garden with Lexi :)
    Good morning also to @kathleenT and @Turbogran and anyone else I may have missed out.
  • dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath I'm sorry your husband is not very well ((((()))) you are good walking every day it makes you feel better (((()))) Is Anita home now ((((

take care
    joan xx
  • dachshund
    Options

Sorry I wrote and it disappeared

Barbara have a good day (((())) how is your brother (((()))

Chris I hope you have a good day ((())) I don't sit in the garden

Toni I hope you have a good day ((())) Tina's job is not always appreciated I know ((((())) love to Charley and her friend that job is not appreciated either ((())) love to Lucy ((()))and Paul ((()))

Kath Karley is a lovely dog

love to Mig Bill Yvonne ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem

To Flush, My Dog

BY ELIZABETH BARRETT BROWNING

LOVING friend, the gift of one,

Who, her own true faith, hath run,

Through thy lower nature ;

Be my benediction said

With my hand upon thy head,

Gentle fellow-creature !

Like a lady's ringlets brown,

Flow thy silken ears adown

Either side demurely,

Of thy silver-suited breast

Shining out from all the rest

Of thy body purely.

Darkly brown thy body is,

Till the sunshine, striking this,

Alchemize its dulness, —

When the sleek curls manifold

Flash all over into gold,

With a burnished fulness.

Underneath my stroking hand,

Startled eyes of hazel bland

Kindling, growing larger, —

Up thou leapest with a spring,

Full of prank and curvetting,

Leaping like a charger.

Leap ! thy broad tail waves a light ;

Leap ! thy slender feet are bright,

Canopied in fringes.

Leap — those tasselled ears of thine

Flicker strangely, fair and fine,

Down their golden inches

Yet, my pretty sportive friend,

Little is 't to such an end

That I praise thy rareness !

Other dogs may be thy peers

Haply in these drooping ears,

And this glossy fairness.

But of thee it shall be said,

This dog watched beside a bed

Day and night unweary, —

Watched within a curtained room,

Where no sunbeam brake the gloom

Round the sick and dreary.

Roses, gathered for a vase,

In that chamber died apace,

Beam and breeze resigning —

This dog only, waited on,

Knowing that when light is gone,

Love remains for shining.

Other dogs in thymy dew

Tracked the hares and followed through

Sunny moor or meadow —

This dog only, crept and crept

Next a languid cheek that slept,

Sharing in the shadow.

Other dogs of loyal cheer

Bounded at the whistle clear,

Up the woodside hieing —

This dog only, watched in reach

Of a faintly uttered speech,

Or a louder sighing.

And if one or two quick tears

Dropped upon his glossy ears,

Or a sigh came double, —

Up he sprang in eager haste,

Fawning, fondling, breathing fast,

In a tender trouble.

And this dog was satisfied,

If a pale thin hand would glide,

Down his dewlaps sloping, —

Which he pushed his nose within,

After, — platforming his chin

On the palm left open.

This dog, if a friendly voice

Call him now to blyther choice

Than such chamber-keeping,

Come out ! ' praying from the door, —

Presseth backward as before,

Up against me leaping.

Therefore to this dog will I,

Tenderly not scornfully,

Render praise and favour !

With my hand upon his head,

Is my benediction said

Therefore, and for ever.

And because he loves me so,

Better than his kind will do

Often, man or woman,

Give I back more love again

Than dogs often take of men, —

Leaning from my Human.

Blessings on thee, dog of mine,

Pretty collars make thee fine,

Sugared milk make fat thee !

Pleasures wag on in thy tail —

Hands of gentle motion fail

Nevermore, to pat thee !

Downy pillow take thy head,

Silken coverlid bestead,

Sunshine help thy sleeping !

No fly 's buzzing wake thee up —

No man break thy purple cup,

Set for drinking deep in.

Whiskered cats arointed flee —

Sturdy stoppers keep from thee

Cologne distillations ;

Nuts lie in thy path for stones,

And thy feast-day macaroons

Turn to daily rations !

Mock I thee, in wishing weal ? —

Tears are in my eyes to feel

Thou art made so straightly,

Blessing needs must straighten too, —

Little canst thou joy or do,

Thou who lovest greatly.

Yet be blessed to the height

Of all good and all delight

Pervious to thy nature, —

Only loved beyond that line,

With a love that answers thine,

Loving fellow-creature !

That were a long 'un wannit (Aidan would've known what I was saying. His Nottinghamese was immaculate mi duck. Flush was a Cocker Spaniel. I think EBB styled her hair on her dog. 😂

Joan, yes Marley is very cute, but naughty. He's a Shiatsu. Val thinks he is a bad lad, he drives her to drink.

Toni, lovely English pancakes, thank you. Orange juice on mine please, no sugar for me, yeeuk. I remember you telling me that Miss Daisycat wouldn't leave Lucy's side.

Jonathan and Dawn both had a covid test, they were both negative thank goodness, as Dawn has RA and Bronchiectasis. She has Truxima for her RA, so is high risk.

https://us.v-cdn.net/6031919/uploads/827/mitzee and rosie.jpg There was an error displaying this embed.

Dawn and Jonathan's dogs, Mitzee moomoo and Rosie Roo roo.

Holly has just been, Vay was running up and down our front garden. We have chippings down and I think she likes the crunchy noise they make. They're off to the park for a picnic.

Barbara, I've just received your photos, I'll check them out later.

Moussaka

The ultimate vegan version of this traditional Greek dish! Tender aubergines, rich vegetable mince, thick creamy béchamel sauce...oh and lots of cheese. Mmmmm! Enjoy with a light salad in the summer or as the ultimate comfort food in winter months. 

Ingredients: 

Aubergines

• 6 aubergines
    • Olive oil 
    • Salt 

Filling 

• Olive oil
    • 2 onions, finely diced
    • 3 garlic cloves, finely diced
    • 250g mushrooms, sliced
    • 500g vegan soya mince 
    • 1-2 tbsp tomato purée
    • 2 x (400g) tins chopped tomatoes
    • 150ml vegan red wine 
    • 150ml stock
    • ½ tsp oregano
    • ½ tsp cinnamon
    • 1 tbsp vegan syrup (eg maple, agave)

Béchamel

• 4 tbsp vegan margarine
    • 4 tbsp plain flour
    • 400ml usweetened soya milk
    • 2 tsp Dijon mustard
    • Pinch of grated nutmeg
    • 1-2 tsp salt (to taste)
    • 2 tsp egg replacer (eg Orgran - optional)
    • 150g silken tofu (optional)
    • 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional) 

Topping 

• Melting vegan cheese 
    • Vegan parmesan eg Violife Prosociano or use pre-grated eg Angel Food, Flavour Fusion or Follow Your Heart 

Method: 

Aubergines

1. Pre-heat the oven to 200˚C/400˚F/Gas Mark 6.
    2. Remove stalks and cut the aubergines into slices, 1cm thick. 
    3. Season with salt and drizzle with olive oil. 
    4. Place on baking tray and cook, turning once, for 20-30 minutes or until soft and golden. 

Filling

1. Fry the onion in a little oil until lightly golden. 
    2. Add the mushrooms and cook until slightly softened. 
    3. Add the garlic, oregano, cinnamon and fry for a further 1-2 minutes. 
    4. Stir in the tomato purée, veggie mince, red wine, stock, tinned tomatoes and syrup. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat and simmer with the lid on for roughly 30 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated. 
    5. Taste and add salt and a little more syrup if necessary. 

Béchamel 

1. Using a large saucepan, melt the margarine on a low heat. 
    2. Take the saucepan off the heat and stir in the flour until you have a paste. 
    3. Return the pan to the heat, turn up to medium and very gradually add the soya milk, stirring continuously to avoid lumps. 
    4. Once the sauce has thickened, add the Dijon, nutmeg, salt and optional extras (if using). Use a balloon whisk to get rid of lumps if necessary. 
    5. Stir thoroughly then set aside. 

Assembly

1. Reduce the oven heat to 180˚C/350˚F/Gas mark 4-5
    2. Place a layer of aubergine into a rectangular oven dish followed by a layer of the filling. 
    3. Repeat this process until you have several layers. 
    4. Leaving a couple of inches at the top, pour on the béchamel sauce so that the top of the moussaka is completely covered. 
    5. Add a thick layer of melting vegan cheese. 
    6. Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 25 minutes. 
    7. Remove from the oven, take off the foil, sprinkle over the parmesan and place back in the oven, uncovered, for a further 15 minutes until the top is slightly browned. 

• barbara12
    edited 19. May 2020, 18:22
    Options
    Evening all..we are getting there with the garden..thank goodness to our Niamhs daddy..
    Not done much today my back..is not good so tried some stretches...didnt work..
    Kath I am glad you got the photos..I am in my scruffs in one..them my nighbour that put the balloons up started to take pics..so I had to change with mr Bs help...:(..the poem is lovely..at first I thought it was a little girl..yes she looks a bit like a spaniel.. hahaha.
    The little doggys are so cute together.. .moussaca..is the spelling right...looks and sounds so good..thankyou xx
    Chris my last micro was a Samsung this one is Morohy Richard's.. not one you can press and go..hahaha..I melt cheese in it..and Cooke bacon..oh thinks I'm weird....hahaha..thankyou so much for the Birthday wishes.. it was lovely..apart from 3 people ordering us afternoon teas...it took some eating I will tell you :)..xx
    Joan how are you all doing ...it ended up lovely and sunny here after a cloudy start...thankyou for asking about my brother he gets the results of another scan tomorrow xx
    Toni..I am happy to hear that Lucy is doing ok..miss independent now....:)
    Thankyou I do like our thin pancakes...much better..so Tua can now rehome dogs again..bet the poor thing are so glad after being in kennels..xx
    Right I will have a cuppa
    Love to all
    Xxxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Morning!

Chis my microwave is a swan retro it matches my bin and kettle and tea/coffee/sugar canisters!Yours sounds great something to do on a rainy day😁

I would use your melting button to melt my ice ream! I know I am odd. My Dad used to do it too 🙄

I too am glad it rained and it should give some of us a day off from watering.....but restricts Pink Panthering

Hah!

Hi Joan yes Tia is very happy to get the animals rehomed, but wonders where all the new animals have been going they hardly took any in she's worried about them 🤔 As for Charley's job the people who matter to her and other carers appreciate and value them which is why they do it.

Hi Barbara I will be very interested to see your brother's scan results when they come. Is he not 'sheilding'??? Surely he had a letter?

Tia is loving getting the doggies into the furrever homes but i just said to Joan very few have been coming in....the odd lost one not much more she is worried where the usual number are😏

Bacon not crispy?🤢

3 afternoon teas for 2 with only you to eat them😁 we helped out here didn't we on Sunday?

Kath that poem! Who was ill? It's a lovely poem really lovely made my cry. It's so true of our animals how they love us even if we don't deserve it (ask Tia) I love Dawn and Jonathan's doggies I had a Yorkie I called Scruffy-puppy all his life. He was adorable and not at all yappy. He walked to heel no lead required and guarded Charley's and Lucy's prams when they were babies.

Val looks a lovely lady I can tell she is kind just by looking at her. Marley drives her to drink eh?😂

Vay is up and running now? Gosh they grow up fast don't they?

Thank you for the moussaka yummy it was! None left now!

and how are you doing?

Love to Carol - my flamingo order is here!!! So exiting! I have until August to make the sloth for Kari thank goodness😮

Love also to Mig i hope you are staying safe and well.

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath Val looks a kind lady just liked you (((()))) How is Anita very slowly getting better I hope (((()))) love to your Dad (((()))) children grow quick don't they.

Barbara were your 3 tea's the same you had some for the next day. Love to Mr B (((()))) and your Brother (((())))

Toni our microwave has a knob you turn the other one was press button. how is Kari is she feeling better ((((()))) love to Paul ((())) Lucy ((())) Charley and her friend (((()))) Tia (((()))

love to Bill ((()))Carol (((())) Mig ((())) Yvonne ((())) Chris (((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    edited 20. May 2020, 12:50
    Options

Daily Poem

Love and Friendship

BY EMILY BRONTË

Love is like the wild rose-briar,

Friendship like the holly-tree—

The holly is dark when the rose-briar blooms

But which will bloom most constantly?

The wild rose-briar is sweet in spring,

Its summer blossoms scent the air;

Yet wait till winter comes again

And who will call the wild-briar fair?

Then scorn the silly rose-wreath now

And deck thee with the holly’s sheen,

That when December blights thy brow

He still may leave thy garland green.

Red Pepper & Butter Bean Bada Boom

A spring pie with a sunny disposition, delicious with your version of a vegan Greek salad. 

Ingredients: 

• 4 tbsp olive oil 
    • 2 Ramiro peppers, sliced into rings 
    • 2 red onions, cut into eighths 
    • 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced 
    • 6 small tomatoes, cut in half 
    • 3 tbsp vegan plain yoghurt (sugar-free)
    • 400g can of butter beans or cannellini beans, drained 
    • A small bunch of dill, chopped 
    • A small bunch of mint, chopped 
    • A small bunch of parsley, chopped 
    • Sea salt and black pepper 

Topping

• ½ good quality ciabatta loaf (use GF alternative if necessary), whizzed into crumbs in a food processor 
    • A few sprigs each of rosemary, thyme and parsley, finely chopped 
    • 70g non-dairy ‘Parmesan’ cheese, freshly grated 

Method: 

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350℉/Gas Mark 4.  
    2. Heat the olive oil in a pan, add the peppers and red onions and cook for about 5 minutes.  
    3. Add the garlic and cook for another 4 or 5 minutes, until the vegetables are tender and lightly caramelized.  
    4. Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl.  
    5. Stir in all the other filling ingredients and season to taste.  
    6. Divide the mixture between 6 large ramekins or similar ovenproof dishes.  
    7. Mix all the ingredients for the topping together. 
    8. Sprinkle the topping over the pies and then bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden and bubbling. 

Have you seen what I've put in Matron's Munchies?

Hope all are safe and well, My ribs and hips are grinding together. OUCH, OUCH, OUCH.

• barbara12
    Options
    Evening all who put the heating on has our Aidan would say..had my chillows out today that really made me think if him...
    Toni my brother hasn't to go out but still attends Christie's but goes on his own..he goes by car that they send..he is lucky to be attending going off the news..
    Thankyou for breakfast was it pears...whatever it looked good ..xx
    Kath what a lovely poem..the bronte's were certainly good writers..we visited Emily's grave in Scarborough..
    I hope Anita is doing ok..and Val who will be worried sick
    Bada boom what a name
    I think you need the Bush babies for those hips...xx
    Joan 2 of the teas were the same..but my neice sent a buffet..hahaha..so I sent some round to my neugjbours..,:)the children were made up xx
    Right I am off for a cold shower..
    Love to all
    Xxxxxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Morning I am expecting it to rain this morning for an hour.....any minute...suits me!

Joan thank you Kari is much much better now I think she was overdoing it a bit to be honest. Charley and her GF are looking to buy a house!! such exiting news I hope it will all be back to normal and we can go and see wherever she buys soon.

Kath how true that poem is! She was very clever MS Bronte indeed. Nearly as clever as out cafe poet Laureate!🙂

Bada Boom!!!!!!! That's how I want to say it!

They look so yummy I have to make them...will have to use whatever bread i've got though - no chance of getting fancy bread ATM. Lockdown priorities and all that....🙄

Little Sleek says she'll be over (and has been) to check up on you. She says (acting Matron Sleek) that no gong outside today on her orders! Sore and grindy hips and ribs mean a gentler day is needed. 🌈🌈

Hope all is well with your Sister and Val is coping ok with her patient and probably Dad...? ((())) for you!

Barbara how are you doing? 'They' look after you when you are on a trial very well indeed it can't be stopped COVID or no COVID I am so pleased about the car so he isn't on public transport 👍️ Still have everything crossed for him.

Yes the porridge yesterday had pears on it sweet ripe pears!

I shut down early yesterday - blinds and curtains and fan on windows open and like you thought of our beloved Aidan. He would have been 'melting

Still watching for the rain the forecast said and hour about 6/7am so hurry up rain!!

Love to Chris8 did you see your Pinky? above?

Continental breakfast today.....

By the way eat what you want no fear of viruses in here 🙂

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath I'm sorry you have sore ribs and hips (((()))) I hope it soon eases for you. How is Anita (((()))) and your Dad (((())))

Barbara I bet you still got some food left (((())) love to your brother ((())) that's good they send transport for him (((())))

Toni that's nice and something to look forward to Charley and her friend getting a house good luck to them (((()))) love to Lucy ((())) and Tia ((((()))) and Paul ((()))

love to Mig Carol Chris Bill Yvonne (((())))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem

Marley

My sister’s dog Marley

is having a mardy,

his mummy is poorly

so he can’t climb up

to sit on her lap, 

and he’s very happy about that.

So he’s having a sulk

and a bit of a skulk,

until he gets his doggy chocs,

He likes them in a nice big box,

which Anita keeps

under locks.

by Kath

Spoke to Anita this morning, she won't get her results for another 3 weeks, so will know more then. She says she's healing though. Dad's had one of the government boxes he got some fresh veg, which he cooked to eat with a beefburger.

Barbara, "It 'ain't arf hot." 😏 Pleased that your brother has a car sent to fetch him for his treatment. Can't have him catching a bus. 🙄. I hope you enjoyed the bada boom.

Toni, I get most of the recipes from a website called https://www.veganrecipeclub.org.uk/ or https://www.vegansociety.com/resources/recipes

Sending hugs to Carol, mig, Joan, Sue, and all our friends who visit the cafe.

Spinach & 'Ricotta' Cannelloni

This is hands down our new favourite recipe! Unbelievably creamy and cheesy with a lovely rich tomato sauce and pasta base... delicious! Non-vegans seriously won't know the difference :)

Ingredients: 

'Ricotta' 

• 35g/¼ cup sunflower seeds 
    • 425g/15 oz firm tofu, drained and patted dry
    • 2 tbsp lemon juice
    • 1 tbsp olive oil 
    • ¾ tsp salt 
    • Pinch black pepper 
    • 3 cloves garlic, crushed 
    • 20g/⅓ cup nutritional yeast 

Cannelloni

• 14 -16 cannelloni tubes (use GF if necessary)
    • Extra virgin olive oil  
    • 400g/14 oz spinach 
    • ½ tsp nutmeg 
    • 1 onion, finely diced
    • 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped 
    • 2 x 400g/14 oz tins plum tomatoes 
    • Zest of ½ lemon 
    • Handful fresh basil 
    • ½ tsp sugar or syrup (eg agave or maple – optional)
    • Salt and black pepper, to taste
    • 200g melting vegan cheese (we used Bute Island Sheese Greek Style)
    • Vegan parmesan (eg Violife Prosociano or use pre-grated eg Angel Food, Flavour Fusion or Follow Your Heart)

Method: 

'Ricotta' 

1. Blend the sunflower seeds in a food processor or using the milling blade on your blender. 
    2. Add the tofu and blend with the sunflower seeds until smooth. 
    3. In a medium sized bowl, combine the tofu/sunflower seed mix with all other ingredients and stir thoroughly. 
    4. Place in the fridge until ready to use. 

Cannelloni 

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan)/350°F/Gas Mark 5. 
    2. In a large saucepan, add the spinach, a drizzle of olive oil, half the nutmeg (¼ teaspoon), a pinch of salt and pepper. Cover the pan and leave the spinach to sweat and wilt down, stirring occasionally. Pop in a bowl and set aside. 
    3. In a large pan fry the onion until soft and golden. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute. 
    4. Add the plum tomatoes and break them up with a spoon (or with your hands as you add them!). 
    5. Add the sugar, lemon zest and a few basil leaves. Simmer for around 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Add salt and pepper, try the sauce and add more until you get the desired seasoning. 
    6. Once the spinach has cooled, squeeze the liquid out of it and cut it up into small pieces. Add it to the 'ricotta' along with the rest of the nutmeg (¼ teaspoon) and stir thoroughly. 
    7. There are a couple options for getting the 'ricotta' mix into the cannelloni tubes... either pipe it in using a piping bag or if you fancy having a bit more fun then stuff the mixture in using your hands (after washing them)... kids love doing this! 
    8. Place the stuffed cannelloni tubes onto the bottom of an oven dish (12"x10"x2" approx.). Pour the tomato sauce over the top and spread evenly. Add a layer of basil leaves then sprinkle over your preferred melting vegan cheese and top off with vegan Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil. 
    9. Cover the top of the dish with a sheet of foil and tuck in around the edges. Place in the oven for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and pop back in the oven for another 15 minutes. 
    10. Enjoy with a green salad and garlic bread :) 

• barbara12
    edited 21. May 2020, 17:20
    Options
    Evening all..just I think...
    Toni what rain,we havnt had a speck the ground is so dry and potatoes are being watered 3 times a day..oh well..its somthing to do..:)
    The continental breakfast was very welcome in this warm weather..
    How exciting that Charley and girlfriend want to buy an house..fingers crossed that you will be able to view with them..my neigjbours buyers gave pulled out..not surprising really so many have list jobs.. but there are many more interested now ..but she doesn't wants viewings yet..xx
    Kath wow the Spinach & 'Ricotta' Cannelloni looks so tasty..
    Thankyou.. poor Marley wanting a cuddle.. hopefully wont be long now ..but what a wait Anita has for the results..xx
    Joan we had food coming out if the windows.. hahaha..but at least our neighbours children were pleased..my brother cant fault his treatment...the cars are run by volunteers but they make sure you have the same driver and they gave mask on..
    I hope you are all doing ok xx
    Love to everyone and to those that are missing
    Xxxxx xxx

Love
    Barbara
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options

Evening all

I have had very little time to be on here over past few days, had lots of telephone calls and deliveries and shopping orders to deal with. Hope all is ok with you all hope you have all had the nice warm sun as we have here. The work in the garden has gone better today than Tuesday and yesterday. Have had a few problems firstly they are not very good time keepers, told mr t last Friday they would arrive at 10 eventually arrived at 11.30. Work didn’t go too badly, levelled the ground out and sanded half of it. Come Wednesday told they would arrive at 10 again Arrived just gone 10.30 boss man had to go of and get something they needed he didn’t arrive back till about 4.30 so the other 2 guys do nothing much all day music playing away in the garden they were just sitting on a couple of chairs out there. Mr T spent all day keep coming in a out of the living room complaining about them I told him he needed to go out there and say something but he wouldn’t, he can complain at me but not them Funny that 😂😂 anyway when bossman returns he went out there and told him Any way they worked until just after 6 even cleaned up outside the garden where they had put them, mr t told them he wanted everything they were using put back into the garden before they left, it was done. He also told bossman he wanted every work finished buy Sunday. We were told they would start at 9.30 this morning they were there at 10 mins past 9. And they worked well and left at about 6 .15Pm. We only have one problem at the moment is the garden shed that they are erecting for us the bossman went to collect on Tuesday he had in his van one piece was on the roof rack And some one nicked it overnight one part of a shed I ask you 🙄🙄😡😡 He has it on order hopefully it will arrive by Saturday when they are due to erect it. So it is fingers crossed. Our new patio set arrived today so that is now in mr t office. Or rather our spare bedroom but we call it the office. But at least it arrived.

Toni glad your flamingo 🦩stuff has arrived hopefully the sloth 🦥 making goes ok i’m sure Kari will love him, I’m trying to pluck up courage to tackle the roses 🌹 🌹

love and sparkles to you all ❤️❤️🌈🌈 and plenty of ☀️ ☀️☀️Shine

Stay positive always👍xx
  • frogmorton
    Options

I know Joan it's exiting isn't it? \viewings today and tomorrow there is one they particularly like the look of. There is a virtual viewing (video) which I have done looks lovely...well apart from the decoration in the box room! Thank you Love from us all to you two too ((())) it should be your shopping day!😕 ah well better safe than sorry.

Kath Marley actually looks like the doggie in his poem! Even if she can pick him up I bet he is glad to have his missing Mum home. The poem is fabulous I hope it made Anita and Val smile 🙂 good to hear Dad is doing ok and still cooking!

They have to 'grow cells' I think or something don't they will cancer so results take a while. Then they will decide what further treatment Anita needs ((())) 🌈🌈

Loving the vegan cannelloni will try it on Paul but will need to add some salad and garlic bread🙄 he is odd and doesn't ADORE pasta like I do.

Barbara no wonder you back is sore all that spud watering!! I have woken up to a 'remotely' wet garden! Yippee! That's a day off watering for me 🙂

The transport sounds really good for your bro though i expect they understand who vulnerable their patients are.

Charley and Annie are viewing houses today and tomorrow the one they most like is actually empty so could be pretty quick! I am sorry about your neighbour's sale, but maybe it's for the best now that they stay while this is going on.

Carol the roses might be easer than the sloth but Kari loves Sloths. I will look at a video of it being done online first too. Good luck with the roses. Mind I don NOT know when you'll find time to do them with all you ahve going on!

Paul is exactly the same as Mr T! Moan moan moan to me but won't actually tell the men what they are doing wrong 🙄

Sounds as though they have got their act together now at last. The person who pinched part of the shed must have either been after fire wood or thought it was a fence panel🤬

Glad the patio set has arrived I bet you just CANNOT wait. We need pics from you and Barbara now.

Love to @chris8 is8 - I very much hope all is well. It's raining here and you haven't seen the pink panther I posted for you yet....

Hope all is well with mig too....

It's raining what shall we have fore breakfast?

That should have been me on the Orient express🙄

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath (((()))) Anita is doing well that's good ((((()))) love to your Dad and Chris (((())))

Carol some one was looking for half a shed. I hope it's finished by Sunday for you (((())))love to everyone (((()))

Barbara ((())) that' nice your brother has the same driver every time ((())) how are your eyes feeling (((())))

Toni I hope you can view the house with Charley and her friend ((()))when do you think this virus will be on the way out (((())) love to Tia Lucy Paul (((())))

love to Bill Chris Mig Yvonne (((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem

A Woodland Burial.

by Pam Ayres.

Don’t lay me down in some gloomy churchyard shaded by a wall

Where the dust of ancient bones has spread dryness over all.

Lay me in some leafy loam where, sheltered from the cold

Little seeds investigate and tender leaves unfold.

There kindly and affectionately plant a native tree

To grow resplendent before God and hold some part of me.

The roots will not disturb me as they wend their peaceful way

To build the fine and bountiful, from closure and decay.

To seek their small requirements so that when their work is done

I’ll be tall and standing strongly in the beauty of the Sun.

Toni, they have to check the edges of the tumours they removed. if they aren't clear, it means they didn't clear all the cancer ou. They CAN perform what's called a cavity shave, another op to take another layer out. They can perform three of these 'shaves' , but if they still haven't got it all they will have to do a mastectomy. This is why I went straight for mastectomy, I didn't want them faffing about opening me up again! That's why it takes a few weeks for results. When I rang Anita last. Marley was yapping all the time - "Mum, where's me doggy chocs?" When I was a child, I used to eat dog biscuits. I loved chomping on the black ones. 😂

Barbara, I'm pleased you enjoyed the Spinach & 'Ricotta. I noticed some large glasses of beer in the breakfast Toni left us. Do you think she's trying to tell us something? 😉

Carol, I still enjoy Mr T's music, I hope he doesn't mind the messages I leave for him.

Joan, that is a very good question, when will the virus be on it's way out? Being a pessimist, I'd say it'll last longer than any of us. 😕

Store Cupboard Nut Roast

This is a simple and tasty recipe using ingredients you're likely to have at home in the cupboard. If you don't have any flaxseed don't worry, you just might need to squish it all together a bit better (as it acts as a binder)! 

Ingredients: 

• 1 tbsp vegetable oil
    • 1 onion, finely chopped
    • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    • ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
    • 3 slices stale bread or 100g ready-made breadcrumbs (use GF where necessary)
    • 200g nuts (use pre-chopped if easier), finely chopped
    • 300ml vegetable stock
    • 2 tsp yeast extract
    • 2 tbsp ground flax mixed with 4 tbsp water (mix in small bowl and set aside – this is your flax egg)
    • 1 tsp dried basil or mixed herbs
    • Salt and pepper

Method: 

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan) 356°F/Gas Mark 4. You will need a small loaf tin.
    2. In a small frying pan, heat the oil and then cook the onion until soft and golden. 
    3. Add the garlic and cayenne and fry for a further minute. 
    4. Toast or oven bake the bread until slightly crispy, cool, then make into breadcrumbs using a food processor. Place the breadcrumbs in a mixing bowl while you grind the nuts in the same manner. You want small pieces, but do not over blend. 
    5. Add the chopped nuts into the mixing bowl with the breadcrumbs and herbs.
    6. With the stock in a jug, mix in the yeast extract.
    7. Pour the liquid and the flax egg into the dry ingredients in the mixing bowl and combine thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
    8. Grease your loaf tin and line it in one direction with a strip of baking parchment to make the nut roast easier to remove when it’s cooked.
    9. Spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth out using a spatula.
    10. Bake in the oven for 30 mins, checking after 25 mins to see if the roast looks done. It’s cooked when it is a lovely brown colour on top and feels firm to the touch.
    11. Allow to cool, before loosening around the edges with a pallet knife and gently tipping out upside down onto a rectangular plate. Delicious served with vegetables and gravy! 

This nut roast can be cut into portions and frozen.