Val's Cafe

Options

Comments

• chris8
    chris8 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Good morning, Friday already wow this week feels like it's gone quick!
    @kathleenT that Truly magical poem is lovely! Hope you're well
    @frogmorton Hey Toni hows things? Charley, Lucy and Tia all nice names (Hope they all well to) as is Toni a nice name also and no I'm not creeping Haha the virtual sanctuary sounds good as I love Animals but not got any pets of my own, would like a Dog in time but that's way off yet. That 80s disco sounds interesting and no I wasnt really a new romantic haha and yeah that's the projected plan re Bungalow. All a waiting game and we'll see at the moment... :)
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,954
    Options

Good morning everyone

Chris8 I hope you have a good weekend. What kind of Arthritis have you got ((((()))))

Barbara I bet you went and pulled your pants down from there quick (((())) how is your brother ((((()))) have a good weekend ((((())))

Kathleen love to Chris (((()))) Anita (((()))) Anita (((())) and you Dad (((()))) have a good weekend all of you ((((())))

Toni I did my clapping last night. We are grateful for Sue's carers coming they are nice and friendly. have a good weekend love to Charley (((())) Lucy (((((()))) Tia (((()))) and Paul ((((()))) my first name is Edith after my mother and gran I've never liked it I asked to be called Joan my second name.

love to Bill (((())) Carol (((())) Mig (((())) Yvonne (((())))

take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Afternoon all the fun is yring become out..and I have just bought a little stream..ff facebook..I say little its neally 5 ft long..hahaha..just wish I knew my metric....
    Toni thankyou for another lovely breakfast..and not lively..blinking text...hahaha
    Yes bloomers in the window.. he thought it was a good idea..maybe if they had been red white and blue.glad to hear all is well with you and your family..myst say I love the names
    .so you had the lamb overnight..I bet you didnt want to see it go..one lucky Lamb to go to our Cris...bless her...xx
    Chris..we keep saying we need a bungalow.. we have lived here 45 years next week..we go the keys on my birthday..
    We really could do with a smaller garden...xx
    Kath yes look for the knickers..oh the very thought..hahaha..I am on google st view would you believe.. I was hosting in the window when they went past...hahaha..more brilliant poems..think you said you had some published.. I'm not surprised.i can do the cogans but cant post them anymore from my phone...never mind..xx
    Joan I did take the pants down sharpish.. hahaha..I dont no what he was thinking..I am ashamed to say I forgot to clap last night..I fell asleep watching the old coronation street...
    I am glad you have such good carers they are worth there weight in gold xx
    Have a nice day everyone
    Xxxxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

Daily Poem

The Life That I Have (sometimes referred to as Yours) is a short poem written by Leo Marks and used as a poem code in the Second World War.

In the war, famous poems were used to encrypt messages. This was, however, found to be insecure because enemy cryptanalysts were able to locate the original from published sources. Marks countered this by using his own written creations. The Life That I Have was an original poem composed on Christmas Eve 1943 and was originally written by Marks in memory of his girlfriend Ruth, who had just died in a plane crash in Canada.[1] On 24 March 1944, the poem was issued by Marks to Violette Szabo, a British agent of Special Operations Executive who was eventually captured, tortured and killed by the Nazis.

It was made famous by its inclusion in the 1958 movie about Szabo, Carve Her Name with Pride, where the poem was said to be the creation of Violette's husband Etienne. (Marks allowed it to be used under the condition that its author not be identified.)

The Life That I Have :

The life that I have

Is all that I have

And the life that I have

Is yours

The love that I have

Of the life that I have

Is yours and yours and yours.

A sleep I shall have

A rest I shall have

Yet death will be but a pause

For the peace of my years

In the long green grass

Will be yours and yours and yours.

By Leo Marks

Violette Reine Elizabeth Szabo GC (née Bushell; 26 June 1921 – c. 5 February 1945) was a British/French Special Operations Executive (SOE) agent during the Second World War and a posthumous recipient of the George Cross. On her second mission into occupied France, Szabo was captured by the German army, interrogated, tortured and deported to Ravensbrück concentration camp in Germany, where she was executed.

Just to let you know, we have had a busy day so don't have time to chat. But will put a recipe on.

Tofu curry

Serves four, easily freezable.

Ingredients 

• 1/2 broccoli head (or 1/4 broccoli, 1/4 cauliflower)
    • 1 onion
    • 1 red pepper
    • 250g firm tofu
    • 1 tin coconut milk
    • 3 tsp tomato puree
    • 1 stock cube in 1/2 cup of water
    • 2 tsp tumeric and/or 2 tsp curry powder

Method

1. Press the Tofu for at least 15 minutes, cut into cubes and fry until brown and crisp on all sides.
    2. Cut and fry the onion until browning in a saucepan.
    3. Add the tumeric and curry powder to the saucepan and fry for a further 3 minutes.
    4. Cut and add all other vegetables. (Add anything else here that you want to use)
    5. Add the coconut milk, tomato puree and stock in water.
    6. Add the tofu and cook until ready till each (at least until all vegetables are cooked).

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options

Morning everyone another lovely sunny day!

I ended up having a lovely afternoon. Everyone in the village came outside to toast VE day and all who sacrificed for us. Then we came out again at 9pm to listen to the Queen speech and sing 'We'll meet again' I had to print the words off though first!!

Kath loving the tofu curry it looks yum and really simple too - I am tempted to have a go....🤔

As for the poem what a wonderful tribute to Violette Szabo such a sad story, but a lovely lovely poem thank you for posting it. I think her husband just wanted to keep her memory alive insisting we credit him if we use the poem.

Joan Edith is an ok name so long as you shorted it to Edie I think, but Joan is nicer I get that. I am Antoinette really, but have always been called Toni. Kari is really Karolina (Hungarian) and my brother (poor boy!!!!) is Quentin🙄 How could they?!

I clapped too and include the carers in my mind yours, my neighbours Charley and Barbara's GD and her finacée. I'm really glad you have such lovely carers :)

Chris8 I am very well thank you how about yourself? Did you see your neighbour or did you manage a quick Pink Panthering? you were not a new romantic then? More Duran Duran with your double denim? We all wore it😁 A bungalow is a really good idea and investment for the future, but now is not a good time. Mind you there was an old boy out last night - must be 94 still in a huge house! He had a stroke the year before last and is still doing well.

You must have a dog (although cats are far easier!) when you have time and space. Animals give us so much. Not sure possums/bush babies would make ideal pets to be fair....😄 Tia my step-daughter work at a dogs home and she LOVES it. She has already brought one home🙄

Barbara I hope all is well with you all. If Tia had been mine she'd have had a 'normal' name bless her. I hated being different.

You bought a stream! Wow!! How lovely for your pond to be! I hope you will manage to post some pics.

Bloomers in the window indeed put his pants on a pole in the front garden😁 Only joking don't!! but then he might get the point!

Right I must get on - some food?

It feels like Sunday, but it's Saturday so not a full English...

Kettle's on - Yorkshire Tea!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

. Kath you enjoy the day (((((()))) love to everyone

. Barbara that's different buying a stream (((())) love to everyone ((()))

Toni Sue's first name is Henrietta after our dads gran. That's nice Tia has got one of the dogs (((()))) thank you to Charley and her friend for their good work (((()) love to Lucy (((())) and Paul ((()))

. Love to Chris Bill Carol Mig (((())) Yvonne ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    Options
    Morning all..sunny again so nice to potter..
    Kath one if my favourite films is carve her name with pride..always makes me cry..and the poem I had never heard..my late mum used to sing for charity and in the pubs and she always sang.. Yours till the end of life story.. very similar I suppose..
    Thankyou for the tofu recipe..must give it a try.
    I hope things are a little easier..xx
    Joan yes it's a fiberglass waterfall come little stream.. I will post a pic when its done ..I hope you are all well..xx
    Toni are you really Ationette is that how you spell it..now I would mind being called that..but your poor brother Quentin..never mind he must be used to it by now...
    How lively all the village coming out..we had tea and cake made by the little girl next door..bless her..but cant really sit out the front with all the traffic..:(:(
    We could hear other places
    though nearby..it was nice.. our little town had many st partys with social distancing.. oh gosh nearly forgot thankyou for another lovely breakfast..I really like the teapot..:) xx
    Is it just me that thinks chitchat is too spread out now..I can't get through all the post being in different places ..and feel awful not answering people..
    Right love to all
    Xxxxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem by Kath T.

A Brief Visit

A little bird just visited

our bird feeder today,

I think it was a Great Tit,

but I couldn't really say.

It clung on to the nut bag

then down onto the tray,

then over to the washing line -

and sadly flew away!

Oh boy, what a busy day yesterday, and today we are in a lot of pain. At 7am wehad a call from Tesco to say what time our order would arrive. It duly arrived. When it had all been put away, the box arrived. So we bagged it up, one for us, one for Holly, one for Ray and Jackie and one for Dale and Rebecca. Then we were kept awake by fireworks!

Toni, Beautiful T-pot and cup and super breakfast, thank you.

Anita might be having her op on Thursday.

Tue - Hospital 1 for Covid test. Then up to hospital 2 tohave guide wires positioned. Then Thurs, if Covid test is negative, up to hospital 3 for her lumpectomy.

Barbara, A STREAM, how wonderful, isn't a pond good enough? 😄

Joan, I wonder, was Sue ever called Hetty when she was younger? I think it's such a pretty name. One of my auntie's used to call me Klondike Kate when I was little. I don't know why. 🙄

Spinach & Potato Rosti with Tofu

We literally cannot get enough of these potato rosti! Perfect for people on a budget, they're cheap, delicious, easy and a great source of protein. Make a big batch and then freeze for simple evening meals. Two rosti serves one person for a main meal (served with salad, steamed veg, hummus, quinoa etc). Enjoy :)

Ingredients: 

• 500g/16oz potatoes, peeled and grated
    • 200g/7oz firm tofu, patted dry and crumbled into small pieces
    • Handful of fresh spinach or rocket, roughly chopped (or use frozen, defrosted)
    • 3 tbsp gram (chickpea) flour, mixed with 3 tbsp warm water in a small bowl
    • 2 tbsp plain flour
    • 1 tsp cumin or caraway seeds
    • 2 tbsp vegetable oil 
    • 1-2 tsp salt
    • 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper (optional)

Method: 

1. Pat dry the tofu, before crumbling it into a mixing bowl with the grated potato.
    2. Add the spinach or rocket, gram flour mixture, cumin, plain flour, salt and pepper and stir the ingredients.
    3. Shape the mixture into 6 round rosti, be firm with it but try not to over handle. If it is too wet to hold its shape, add a little more flour.
    4. Add a little oil to a large, non-stick frying pan and fry on a medium heat, turning half way through, until golden. Press down the rosti and encourage them to keep their shape using a fish slice.
    5. Serve with a small side salad or leaves and tomatoes and a tablespoon of hummus (optional).

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• frogmorton
    edited 10. May 2020, 06:41
    Options

Morning everyone!

Not such a nice day so far the wind has slammed the door shut, but I will still go out.....

Henrietta is a lovely name Joan but you call her Sue - in all my life all the 'Sues' I have known have been nice so good choice. I think choosing a child's name is such a responsibility these famous people and their silly names honestly!

Thank you for your kind thoughts about Charley. She is working hard and popped by with some food for us yesterday (her day off) and believe it or not Tia had done the same (It's my soya milk I can't get it for love nor money 🙄 so they got to see each other first time in 7 weeks! 2metres apart of course.

Kath Sleek-cat has been over with one of Tosca's potions I hope it's helped a bit she said it might only help a bit.....she's getting preparations together for all the cats to meet up on Midsummer morning on Pendle in memory of Tosca and Pepe Longstockings. Oh she's left two bushbabies one for each of you ((()))🌈🌈🌈

I see you have a koala too!

LOVE the poem spot of cute fast paced just like birds are!

I am so pleased Anita should be having her lumpectomy o Thursday I will have everything crossed all pre-op tests come back clear 🤞

Thanks for the rostis I enjoyed them very much. How much food?! Great you are sharing it. Tia's husband said some grumpy people actually reject their boxes when they 1. ought to be grateful and 2. could donate it to desperate food banks😡

Barbara Antoinette crikey 10 letters! the best thing about Tia's name was how easy it was to spell for a little girl and of course I was called Antoinette at school🙄 Quentin is called 'Q' by everyone which is much better bless him.

So you get your singing voice from your Mum then?🤔

I played her song just never heard it before it's really lovely.🙂

Yes chit chat is a bit spread out I just do a blitz now and then when I have time and try to welcome some newbies if I can. BUT you know they are doing great on their own very busy lots of COVID worries.

How lovely the little girl next door made cake . Still too much traffic even when we are supposed to be staying in???

No Chris? Busy gaming maybe...??? I hope you're ok Chris8 you should get in the garden today it's not so nice your neighbour will probably stay in.

Shall I find another pretty teapot? I will put Yorkshire tea in it....

and it's Sunday so...

FRied bread too!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath good luck to Anita for her tests and her op ((((())) I'm sorry you have pain after your Tesco order came love to everyone ((((())))

Barbara that's different a fibreglass stream (((()))) love to all of you ((((()))

Toni Sue was named after our auntie sue. Love to everyone (((())) is Lucy alright (((())))

love to Carol Mig Chris Bill Yvonne (((())))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem (one to praise my God)

My Shepherd

I thought I was a sad, lost sheep. 

I teetered on the edge, 

where rocks around me, 

dark and fearsome, 

filled my soul with dread. 

I heard our loving shepherd 

calling me back home, 

I knew I would return 

wherever I might roam. 

With Jesus Christ our Saviour 

his kingdom will not fall. 

I listened to Jehovah's voice 

and answered to his call.

No Chris again, I hope she is well.

Toni, you have excelled yourself with that breakfast. I love dipping fried bread in my chucky eggs. Luvverly, thank you. I'm with Tia's husband about those who refuse help with extra food. My dad keeps saying "i don't need help, Anita shops for me." Not after she's had her op dad, she won't be able to drive for several weeks, while her wounds heal, and then she'll be having radiotherapy. He makes me so cross.😒 I'm pleased that Tia and Charley got to see each other. Sleek's potions helped me get to sleep last night, thank you Miss Slimkins. Then a huge thunderclap woke us both, and then it poured down. The Bush Babies are one on each foot and one at my hip, and scoffing Jammy Dodgers quite happily. I always keep a supply in, just in case.

Joan and Sue, So Sue was named after Aunty, good taste in names has your aunty. Both stay safe.

Vegan Speedy Scone Base Pizza

Ingredients: 

For the scone base

• 250g plain flour
    • 1 tsp salt
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • 55g vegan margarine
    • 2 tbsp milled flax seed, mixed with 4 tbsp of water
    • 4 tbsp plant milk of your choice (add a little more if necessary)

For the topping

• 1 tbsp olive oil
    • ½ red pepper, quartered, deseeded and thinly sliced
    • 5 fresh mushrooms, chopped into small pieces
    • ½ red onion, thinly sliced
    • 2 tbsp of sweetcorn from a tin
    • 2 tbsp tomato ketchup mixed with 2 tbsp tomato purée
    • 85g grated vegan cheese or 3 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (optional)
    • Dash of vegetable or olive oil
    • Handful of rocket to serve (optional)

Method: 

1. Heat oven to 180°C (fan)/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
    2. Mix the flour, salt and baking powder in a bowl, then rub in the margarine until it disappears. Combine the flax mixture and milk together, then stir into the dry ingredients to make a soft dough. Shape into a round on a lightly floured surface.
    3. Lift onto a non-stick, lightly oiled baking or pizza tray, then press out to a circle about 24cm across to make the pizza base.
    4. Heat the oil in a frying pan, then stir-fry the pepper, mushroom and onion until they are soft. Remove from the heat. (You can miss out this stage depending on how cooked you like your veggies).
    5. Spread the ketchup over the pizza base, then evenly distribute the pepper, mushroom, onion and sweetcorn across the top. 
    6. Scatter over the vegan cheese or yeast flakes if using. Drizzle a little vegetable or olive oil over the top to stop the pizza drying out.
    7. Bake for 15 mins until golden. Top with rocket and green or black olives (optional extras).
    8. Serve with potato wedges, garlic bread, or salad.

• barbara12
    Options
    Evening all.
    Not a good day pain wise..and I see Kath has been the same..wonder if it's the change in weather.
    Oh well we plod on
    Kath I will be thinking about Anita..and hope all is ok then she can get the first part out of the way..((()))
    It's only a little water thingy that will run into the pond...got some more free rockery today
    I do like potatoe rostis so always trying different ones..glad all your shopping arrived..one thing I hate is putting it away..xx
    Joan yes the little stream look like stone.
    But lightweight...thankyou again for all the hugs..you are so kind..xx
    Toni what a breakfast..you are getting better.. how kind ofCharley bringng food and Tia also..bet they felt strange not being able to go near one another.
    I drink the almond milk ..and have it on my porridge..but like you say there is short supplies..
    I have to apologise for all the typos my eyes are getting worse..its only when I read my post again I notice them ..and cant be bothered to edit..
    Same with not posting in lwa I feel awful..must try harder
    Sleep well everyone
    Xxxx x

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Barbara don't worry about your typos mistakes happen don't they? We all do it. None of us is critical in here. Almond milk is lovely. Have you tried the Oatly chocolate milk? It's YUMMMY Paul and i have it warmed up as hot choc. Had some last night watching Van der Valk.

It is fabulous the stream and extra rocks too soon be looking like it's always been there. I am looking forward to seeing it done. Is it a liner you need next?

I am glad you enjoyed the breaky it was Sunday after all and who on earth doesn't like fried bread😉

Thing is they have 9 cases at Charley's place so no way can they go near each other nor me 😕

I think Boris' speech only allowed us to stay out longer in family groups and not get told off by the police. AND go back to work. They must be spending to much paying people to stay at home on the work retention scheme. ((())) hope pain is easier today. It was bitter yesterday though wasn't it?

Kath Dad is being a little selfish if he thinks Anita is going to be well enough to run around after him when she's had her op🙄 I think that can happen to some people as they get older sadly. I bet Anita's wife will end up helping him. I hope he is not turning down his boxes😮

I am so glad the sleep potion helped - so is Sleek. Tosca taught her all she could she knew she wouldn't be around much longer I think. Tescos must think you are addicted to jammie dodgers!!! Glad the bush babies are helping too.

Loved the poem. Straight away I thought of 'All in the April Evening' a lovely hymn we sing at choir. Did you write it yourself?

Thanks for the pizza (glad you enjoyed the breakfast and dippy eggs!) I am going to put yeast flakes on mine very nutritious and tasty better than a lot of vegan cheeses.

Joan you had an Aunty Sue I bet she was lovely too! I just remembered - Sue the panda off the Sooty show! She was a sweet heart too. I video-called Lucy and had to send some money up so she could do a shop. Mind you she will get hers very quickly. Iceland she uses. ((())) for you and Sue.

@chris8 I hope all is well and you just got carried away with gaming or reading this weekend. We've most of us been achier than usual in the café for some reason. ((()))

Where is Carol? I bet with all that family she is so busy on skype and facetiming! I hope all is well with them all.((()))

Mig too had jolly well better be staying healthy and looking after herself. ((()))

Some breakfast...back to the 'working week' I wonder how that will affect the 'figures' including vehicle use🙄

We need extra food to soak up our extra pain meds!

and some prune juice!!!

Hehehehe!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath I hope your pain is not too bad today (((())) love to everyone

Barbara did you have your meal from the pub yesterday (((()))) love to you and Mr B and your brother (((())))

Toni it's nice you can go out for longer now (((())) love to everyone (((())))

. love to Bill Carol Mig Chris Yvonne ((((())))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem (Let's try some Haikus)

Summer Haiku

Open fields of wheat

swaying in the golden sun.

The Harvest is near

Autumn Haiku

Golden sheaves of wheat

glow in the warm mid-day sun.

Hide the shy Field Mouse.

Sad Haiku

Time spirals downward,

drawing us to who knows what?

Only death is sure.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Barbara, I'm always making typos, and spelling mistakes. We all understand how difficult it is to cope with eye problems. Although some typos make me smile a little (unless they're mine). 🙄 I think it is a change in the weather, although I'm a little better today, thanks to Sleek and the Bush Babies.

Toni, lovely breakfast again, thank you. Yes, that's dad, a selfish old *&^%$£ 😏. I'm sure Val will help Anita out, but dad doesn't really understand what type of relationship they have. Again an age thing.

Yes, I did write yesterday's poem myself (big ed). 🤣

I hope Carol, mig and Chris are all safe and well. Before I go,Could I have another glass of prune juice please?

Joan, my pain has eased off a lot thank you. I replaced my patches yesterday, so that helped. But now it's rained, that always helps.

Roast Cauliflower, Baba Ganoush, Spiced Harissa Chickpeas & Dukka

Ingredients: 

Cauliflower 

• ½ medium cauliflower, cut into steaks 
    • 2 tbsp olive oil 
    • Pinch sea salt 

Aubergine dip (baba ganoush)

• 2 medium aubergines 
    • 2 tbsp extra virgin oil 
    • 1 clove garlic, sliced (optional) 
    • 1 tbsp tahini 
    • Juice ½ lemon 
    • 1 tsp smoked paprika 
    • 1 tsp sea salt 
    • 1 tsp cumin seeds 

Chickpeas  

• 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    • 1 tbsp rose harissa or 1 tsp harissa paste 
    • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    • Squeeze lemon juice 
    • Pinch sea flakes 
    • ½ tsp smoked paprika 
    • ½ tsp caraway seeds 
    • Big pinch sea salt 

Dukka

• 100g raw, unsalted hazelnuts
    • 1 tbsp cumin seeds
    • 1 tbsp coriander seeds
    • 3 tbsp sesame seeds
    • 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
    • 1 or 2 sprigs of fresh thyme 
    • 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
    • ½ tsp chilli flakes

Flatbreads 

• 50g gram (chickpea) flour, sieved 
    • Pinch sea salt 
    • Splash olive oil 
    • ½ tsp apple cider vinegar 
    • 100ml water 

Method: 

To roast the cauliflower

1. Cut cauliflower up into steaks. 
    2. Add to a large roasting pan with the olive oil and salt. Roast for 20 minutes, then turn. Continue to roast for a further 20 minutes or until the veg is cooked and golden brown. Remove from the oven to cool. 

To make the baba ganoush

1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. 
    2. Add the aubergines to a roasting tin then roast for 25-30 minutes. 
    3. Remove and allow to cool. 
    4. Slice through the skin and scoop out the flesh. Discard the skin and keep the flesh.
    5. Add all the ingredients to a food processor or blender and blitz to a smooth paste. 
    6. You can drizzle more extra virgin olive oil to serve. 

To make the chickpeas 

1. Add all the ingredients to a small saucepan - stir to combine and heat through. 

To make the dukka

1. Put the nuts, cumin seeds, coriander seeds and sesame seeds on to a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
    2. Dry toast for 12 minutes on 180°C. Allow to cool.
    3. Add thyme leaves, chilli & salt to a mini chopper and pulse on 1 second bursts.
    4. Check after each pulse as you don’t want it too finely chopped.

To make the flatbreads

1. Add the gram flour and seasoning to a large bowl. Stir to combine. Add in the water, olive oil and vinegar. Mix to a smooth batter. Set aside for 10 minutes. 
    2. Add a little oil to the base of a non-stick small frying pan. Add ¼ cup of the batter to the pan and swirl around the bottom so you get an even crepe. 
    3. Cook on a medium heat for approximately 2 minutes until there are bubbles in the crepe and you can lift over to flip easily. 
    4. Flip and cook on the other side for 30 seconds to a minute.
    5. Remove from the pan and place on and cover with a clean cloth to keep warm. 
    6. Repeat the process with the remaining batter. 

To serve 

Load your plate with baba ganoush, cauliflower steaks, smokey chickpeas and dukka.

• chris8
    chris8 Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Hi all been semi busy and distracted not to have a cuppa in this lovely friendly Cafe :) Hope you're all well.
    @frogmorton Yes Bungalow is the Goal but as you've said not the right time, neither can I do much about that situation anyway so perseverance in more ways than one. Totally agree with the Animals give us a lit too! In time maybe I'll get a Hound but again we'll see :)
    Hope the regulars on here are all well :)
  • barbara12
    edited 11. May 2020, 22:20
    Options
    Me at this time..bet you are all in bed..I am usually by 10
    .I was facetimed by niamh, our eldest gd and my neigjnour..been freezing here today so pond on hold
    Tomorrow is my nephews funeral he would be 46 this year..they tested for corona virus but it was negative
    . But his own doctor is not so sure..there are only 10 people allowed at the crematorium and no one can carry him in..I know I shouldn't but we must go..and will wear a mask..
    Toni the breakfast was very filling..thankyou..now I am going to try the chocalate oaty milk...what a good night cap.
    I will get there.. always do but hate taking meds
    I hope that Charley has some immunity now..it will be so scary for them all xx
    Kath I had to read the recipe again thought it said babs nosh.hahaha.

glad to hear you are feeling a little better.. now I will read the poem tomorrow when I am more awake..poor Anita she must try not to worry about dad he will be ok..xx
    Chris busy is good..it takes our mind off other things...and dont worry about not posting..has long as we know your ok xx
    Joan..we didnt get a sunday dinner they were all booked up..so we have ordered for next sunday.hope you are all ok xx
    Right I'm shutting my eyes night night everyone
    Xxxxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Our poor Dear Barbara I am so sorry it's your nephew's funeral today. I expect you are going as much for your older brother as for yourself. No wonder you were awake late i bet you will be tonight too ((())) I suspect you might be right about COVID I know he was vulnerable anyway. Thinking of you.

Lots of facetiming! too that's really nice! Was the neighbour the lovely lady from next door with the children and the samosas?

It was freezing here yesterday no rush for the pond I'm sure just hope your stream didn't blow away😯

Chris glad you are ok that's the main thing we missed you. I was thinking that after this is over house prices might drop....? That could be a good time to look at your move. Have you been busy gaming? and is it as chilly up there as it is down here? brrrr

Kath naughty Dad! I am sure he'll be fine when Anita isn't up to helping him so much. Shame he is lacking in understanding for her and probably thinks Val is a mere 'friend' 🙄

Loved all those Eastern recipes....they looks so tasty and actually when you read the recipes quite easy to cook too. I am rather tempted....

Blimey it's almost too cold to have the windows open this morning! At least the sunshine makes it look looks lovely and lifts the spirits. Wouldn't his be nice?

I've left the prune juice in the fridge please do help yourself especially if you changed your pain patches! Sleek said it wasn't the patches which helped it was the sparkles she put under your pillow and Tosca's potion.

Loved the Haikus and the photos you posted with them beautiful thank you XX

Good morning Joan I hope all is well with you and Sue. Yes we can go out for longer, but Boris needs to tell the workers and school how they can all get back to work safely which won't be easy ill it?

Kari isn't feeling too well ATM which worries me but it can't be COVID she hasn't been outside at all for at least 8 weeks! I wish i could visit her. Mind I have got some flour for her which Tia got so I can drop that off maybe????

Breakfast anyone?

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath I wish Anita all the best for today ((((())))) That's good your pain calmed down I hope it stays that way ((((()))) love to Chris and your Dad ((((())))

Chris8 good luck what ever you decide to do ((((()))) it's nice to know you are alright

Barbara sorry you have your nephew's funeral to go to I hope it's not too pain full (((()))) love to everyone

Toni did you see in the news the lady who cut a hole for her mouth in the mask she could not breath. Have you tried goats milk love to everyone (((((()))))

. love to Bill Carol Mig Yvonne ((((((()))))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem (this one's a bit rude, sorry😯)

Porn On The Lawn

By Kath

While gazing through my window

one lovely, warm, spring day,

I saw a shocking sight -

I almost looked away!

A lady Wood Pigeon, 

looking very coy,

was being wooed most ardently

by a tough Wood Pigeon boy.

He strutted his stuff

and puffed out his chest,

but our lady pigeon

didn't look impressed.

She ignored him completely

as he cooed and bobbed his head,

but she just concentrated

on a mouldy piece of bread!

As she bent down to eat it

he took this as a hint

and tried to jump upon her back

his eyes were all aglint.

She flapped her wings and knocked him off

she really wasn't ready,

he didn't care, but tried again

but wasn't quite so steady.

She flew up to the fence

where he followed her with glee

but she promptly turned her back on him

and then began to pee.

This shocked our boy and he jumped back

and promptly lost his balance.

If she could laugh, I think she would

and looked at him askance.

But he didn't give up trying,

for that I'll give him credit

and as I watched quite scandalised,

his deeds I'll have to edit.

He tried it on the rockery

he really had the horn!!

As she finally gave in to him

I watched porn on the lawn!!

Barbara, I'm so very sorry you have to attend your nephews funeral, stay safe while there. I hope you enjoyed the Baba nosh. 🤣

Toni, I did suspect that Sleek's sparkles were the real reason my ouchies improved.

OOOO, runny eggs. Let me just butter some toast to dip in them. Oh yum. I do hope Kari is OK. Thank you for the delightful caravan too, I'll just pop in for a lie down out of this chilly wind.

Chris, good to see you back, I'm sure you will choose a pet in time.

Joan, such a silly thing to do, cutting a hole in your face mask. If she has breathing difficulties, she shouldn't go out. If I had to wear a mask I know it would be difficult for me to breathe, but I'd have to persevere.

Courgette & Chickpea Filo Pie

A super-simple pie full of colour and richness – it tastes so good with a big dollop of houmous on the side.

Ingredients: 

• 2 tbsp olive oil
    • 2 red onions, cut into 8 wedges
    • 3 garlic cloves, finely sliced
    • 3 courgettes, sliced
    • A pinch of dried chilli flakes
    • A small bunch of rosemary, leaves picked and chopped
    • A small bunch of thyme, leaves picked and chopped
    • 400g can of chickpeas, drained
    • 200g or 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
    • 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
    • 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    • 10 sheets of filo pastry
    • Olive oil for brushing

Method: 

1. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add the onions and cook for 3–4 minutes, until softened.
    2. Add the garlic and courgettes and cook until the vegetables are just tender and lightly coloured.
    3. Stir in the chilli, rosemary and thyme.
    4. Remove from the heat and stir in the chickpeas, cherry tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.
    5. Transfer the mixture to an ovenproof dish.
    6. Heat the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3.
    7. Lay out a sheet of filo pastry on a work surface and brush with olive oil, then scrunch it up loosely so it looks like a rose. Drop it on top of the filling and repeat with the remaining filo to cover the dish.
    8. Cover with foil and bake for 15 minutes or until the filling is thoroughly heated through.
    9. Remove the foil and bake for about 5 minutes longer, until the pastry is golden.

• Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options

hi everyone

oops I have done it yet again Let the days run away with me and not posted but yes we are all ok hope you are all coping I will try and get in again later and will post more. Then hope you are all coping ok 👌🏽 I am sort of will update more on that later

see you soon love and sparkles to you all . ❤️❤️🌈🌈

Stay positive always👍xx
  • barbara12
    edited 12. May 2020, 17:06
    Options
    Hello all..
    The funeral went well..if you can say that..his mum was distraught..he was her youngest of 3 sons..pneumonia cause his blood to thicken so he had an heart attack..I do wonder. ..
    Anyhow he us with my eldest brother now his dad.

Toni what lovely runny eggs..and a proper colour..thankyou..i am so glad we went..gosh it was so emotional..
    I used to love our caravan holiday.. especially in Cornwall and Wales.. maybe soon
    .the first one we went in you had to bring your own water from a stand pipe
    I hope Kari will be ok ..is she cleaning the shopping has it comes in..better to be safe((()))I am sure she will be glad of the flour...
    yes our neighbours that cooked samosas..she has had some respite..while this virus has been going on..she could stay in the house.for now..:)
    Its freezing here and sunny...xc
    Kath thankyou ...I love the poem..the pigeons have been enjoying themselves.. dont know how many young they have but they have already 3 pairs here.. now
    That pie looks so good..I need to have a peice or 2..xx
    Joan thankyou..it was very sad him being so young..I hope you have it a bot warmer than we do...xx
    Carol I kerp saying busy is good ...so you keep busy has long as we know you are ok..xx
    Right I am having a cuppa.. is there any cake.???
    Love to everyone
    Xxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Oh Joan really? She cut a hole in her mask?🙄 I can really see that working bless her!!

Kath great poem naughty rudey dudey pigeon! Mind you that is nature you have them sussed😉

Of course it was Sleek's sparkles and Tosca's potions which helped never mind the pharmaceuticals! She is right next to me as I type kneading her blankie. She visited Mrs Darcey yesterday while Kari was recording videos for her Youtube channel

Yes dippy eggs just for you and I see you've done something which i will love too. Chickpeas are my faves as are courgettes any day :)

Hoping Anita got on ok and all is in action for Thursday 🤞 Something is wrong with Kari, but she has been on lockdown 8/9 weeks so heaven knows what/how. Hopefully just a cold though.

Wish we could all go to a caravan for a few days it would do us all good. BUT we will continue to behave.

Carol. I see life has run away again. As Aidan would have said at least the aliens haven't got you! 'Sort of' ok? Hmmmm🤔 I hope things aren't too bad ((()))

Love and sparkles back at you 💗🌈

Barbara! Well done for getting through that it must have been a tough day for you😕 Your big bro is looking after him now ((()))They were saying covid can cause bloods to thicken I was worried as mine is already thick🤔 which is why I know......

We'll go to Wales shall we? It's in the middle easiest for us all to get to🙂 We won't use a stand-pipe our van has hot and cold running water and proper central heating if needed. It had 6 ensuite bedrooms too. Aidan would have run away with this idea wouldn't he? I bet you thought of him too yesterday....

Hang on who's this pulled up next pitch?

Glad you enjoyed the eggs! yes deep yellow yolks.

I'm glad it is your lovely neighbour you are in touch with so it will be easy to keep in touch even when she moves house after all this is over 👍️

Something for breakfast....

I can see us all needing prune juice again after all these eggs!

• frogmorton
    Options

Barbara would you have time to reply on this thread?

This lady is in a similar position to you with Niamh and your son and your kidneys etc. Might help her to know she's not the only one?

I saw it yesterday and just spent half an hour looking for her!

Don't worry if you haven't got time.

• frogmorton
    Options