on the outside and within.

Lips and tongue,

teeth and jaw,

eyes and nostrils,

all are sore.

Maybe pills are just a token.

They can't mend me

I'm too broken!

Toni, I too am very pleased that Joan has joined the Facebook group. I'm pleased to have you, Carol, Barbarra and Chrstine there too and yes, Elisabeth is a member. mig isn' on FB so isn't there. I hope we will be able to help and support each other.

Joan, thank you so much for joining the Crazy Creakies. It's a pleasure to have you company.

Barbara, I think I've missed something. I hope your brother is alright.

Love to Carol, P, mig, and dear Bill.

Almond & Pinenut Fritter with Braised Fennel, Roast Butternut Squash and White Beans

Almond and Pinenut Patties

• 125g blanched almonds
    • 125g pine nuts
    • 2 medium onions
    • 4 cloves garlic
    • 6g mild smoked paprika
    • 7g parsley, without stalks
    • 5g tarragon, without stalks
    • 100g water
    • 2g agar powder
    • 3g salt

Gram Flour Batter

• 250g gram flour
    • 20g corn flour
    • 2.5g salt
    • 10g paprika
    • 3g baking powder

Poached Fennel

• 1 eschallot
    • 2 cloves garlic
    • 3 fennel bulbs
    • 5g sugar
    • 250g white wine
    • 2 star anise
    • 500g vegetable stock 
    • 5g salt

Garlic Marinade

• 50g garlic
    • 8g corinader seed
    • 5g fennel seed
    • 1g cloves
    • 8g mild smoked paprika
    • 15g salt
    • 50g liquid glucose
    • 150g olive oil

Roast Butternut Squash

• 1 large butternut squash
    • Garlic marinade from above

Method: 

Almond and Pinenut Patties

1. Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF (fan assisted 160ºC) Gas Mark 4.
    2. Put the almonds and pine nuts onto a tray and toast until golden.
    3. Peel and dice the onions and peel and mince the garlic.
    4. Fry the onions in a medium pan with a little olive oil.
    5. Add the the garlic and continue to stir gently until cooked.
    6. Add the smoked paprika and agar and stir.
    7. Add the water and bring to the boil.
    8. Chop the herbs.
    9. Put the nuts, onion mixture, herbs and salt together in a food processor and process to a coarse paste. 
    10. Put into storage container and leave to set.
    11. Scoop out 1 tablespoon of the mixture and form into a ball in your hands. Continue until you have enough balls for the number of people to be served
    12. Store on a tray until needed.

Gram Flour Batter

1. Mix all the dry ingredients together and store in a dry air tight box.

Poached Fennel

1. Peel and dice the eschallot.
    2. Peel and mince the garlic.
    3. Cut the fennel into 6 clean wedges per bulb, being sure to remove any damaged or woody outer layer.
    4. Heat a little olive oil in a medium sauce pan and add the shallots.
    5. Fry for two minutes then add the garlic.
    6. Fry for a further 2 minutes then add the fennel and sugar.
    7. Fry until the fennel starts to caramelise and then add the wine.
    8. Cook until you reduce the wine by a quarter and then add the stock. 
    9. Simmer until the fennel is meltingly soft and remove from the heat.
    10. Remove the fennel and wipe off any shallots or garlic mix.
    11. Pass the remaining liquid through a sieve and return the fennel to it.
    12. Store in a storage tub in the fridge until needed.

Garlic Marinade

1. Put the coriander seed, fennel seed and cloves into a pestle and mortar and grind to a powder.
    2. Put the spices together with the other ingredients into a blender and process until smooth.
    3. Put into a storage container and store until needed.

Roast Butternut Squash

1. Peel the squash and then cut into 1cm slices width ways.
    2. Trim these to give neat edges and then put into a bowl.
    3. Add the garlic marinade and stir to mix thoroughly. 
    4. Pour the mix into a high sided baking tin and roast until the squash is very tender, turning every 10 minutes.
    5. Remove form the oven and allow to cool.
    6. Remove the squash pieces and put into a storage container.
    7. Store in the fridge until needed.

To Serve

Preheat oven to 180ºC (fan assisted 160ºC)/350ºF/ Gas Mark 4

Fill a small pan ¾ full with oil and heat to 180ºC/350ºF or set a fryer to same temperature.

Almond pine nut patties

• Gram flour batter
    • Poached fennel and broth
    • 100g of cannelini beans (tinned are fine)
    • 100g baby spinach
    • Roasted butternut squash
    1. Put 2 pieces of butternut squash per person onto a tray and put in the oven for 10-15 minutes to heat through.
    2. Put a handful of beans and 3 pieces of fennel per person into a small pan cover with the reserved poaching liquid and bring to the boil.
    3. Once boiling remove from the heat and stir in the spinach until it wilts.
    4. Set to one side.
    5. Mix 100g of gram flour batter with 100g of water to make a smooth batter the thickness of double cream adding more water if necessary.
    6. Dip 2 patties per person into the batter and then fry in the deep oil in batches until golden and heated through to the middle.
    7. Remove to a tray lined with kitchen paper and keep warm until needed.
    8. Place a 10cm metal ring in the centre of each large bowl.
    9. Split the beans and spinach between them being sure to leave the broth and fennel behind.
    10. Remove the ring and arrange the fennel, roasted squash and patties on top and around. 
    11. Carefully pour the broth in at the side being careful not to get the patties wet.
    12. Serve immediately.

add a long cool drink

Mojito pitcheR

PREP: 5 MINS

EASYSERVES 6

Make a jug of refreshing mojitos to share, so you can spend more time with your guests. Try our three twists on this classic cocktail, too

Ingredients

• , plus 1 lime sliced, to serve
    • 4 tbsp granulated sugar
    • 4-5 mint sprigs
    • ice
    • 350ml white rum
    • 600ml sparking water

Method

1. Chop each lime into six pieces and drop them into a two-litre jug. Add the sugar and squish the lime wedges with a muddler, or the end of a rolling pin. Keep crushing to get out all the juices.
    2. Pick the leaves off a mint spring and lay them on one of your hands. Clap the other hand on top to bruise the leaves ever so gently, then drop them into the jug. Repeat with the rest of the mint spring.
    3. Fill up the jug about three-quarters full with ice, then add the rum. Stir with a long-handled spoon to mix all the ingredients together gently and top up with the sparkling water. Stir once more, then serve poured into tall glasses with a few extra ice cubes and lime slices.

Try these 3 twists 

1. Strawberry mojito
    2. Muddle 9-10 strawberries2 chopped limes and 2 tbsp granulated sugar in a large jug. Bruise the leaves from 2 mint sprigs and add to the jug with a pinch of black pepper. Add lots of ice and stir in 350ml white rum and 600ml sparkling water
    3. Blueberry mojito 
    4. Put 100g blueberries3 chopped lemons and 2 tbsp granulated sugar in a jug and muddle. Bruise the leaves from 2 mint sprigs and add them to the jug with lots of ice. Pour over 350ml white rum and 600ml sparkling water and stir together. 
    5. Mango & pineapple mojito 
    6. Tip 50g pineapple pieces50g chopped mango3 chopped limes and 2 tbsp light brown sugar into a large jug and muddle together. Bruise and add the leaves from 2 mint sprigs, then top with ice. Stir in 150ml white rum200ml pineapple rum and 600ml sparkling water

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options

Oops just typed a post and lost it I keep doing this now that the forum doesn’t save it dose anyone know if there is a way of saving it as you go along as the old forum had. I want to scream at the moment as I had almost finished it and it was quite long Anyway I must potter around a bit to keep moving will be back later To try again.

love and sparkles to you all ❤️❤️🌈🌈

Stay positive always👍xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Evening all..thanks everyone..my brother is not has bad today..it happens for no reason somtime with any type of food.. the mc Millan nurse went today and had a chat ..he goes to Christies on Thursday..so fingers crossed
    Toni i will be saying a prayer for P..hope she can have treatment xxx
    Thankyou for breakfast it looked so good...all I have dine today is drink wster..it was 40.5 in our back garden...not bad in the house though..
    I am sure you will get somewhere very soon.. i think the orient express might be OK later on..but France sounds better xx
    Kath..i did read what you typed about RA..my OHs cousin had it many years ago before the meds came about..i am so glad they have worked fir you..almond and pinenuts sounds good to me.. I like them both and a cold Mojito to wash it down xx
    Joan my brother is a bit better today and just having the drinks..did you have a scooter ride out ..i hope you wore an hat..xx
    Carol I hate losing post ..i hope you are enjoying your patio ..under the umbrella of course.. xx
    I will have my chillo out tonight..
    Love to everyone
    Xxxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options

Evening all

Well what happened earlier I don’t know but I had typed quite a. Long post next thing that happens is I must have lightly touched something on the iPad and whoosh it disappeared. My iPad only needs a very light touch. I have done it’s so many times before. Ok so here we go firstly the gardens is now complete shed up all that is left is the gardener to come back on Sunday to power wash the slabs down. Here is the completed garden, complete with our new garden ornament in the foreground Guarding our garden Haha 😀😀😀😀we have named him Simba.

The is looking at the garden from the shed end. I will try to find mr t picture from the table end which will show the shed. And I’ll post it next time. British Gas rang me on Monday to say they could fit us in today on a priority call the guy who rang me was an engineer and he asked me to describe what was wrong and what the engineer said last time and decided to order a part which he thought might be the problem . Which another engineer brought this morning and hopefully it is now ok. We will see when I try to dry some things after a wash load goes in in the morning. This part sounds more feasible as it was a thermostat.

it has been very warm here since Monday and I have been making the most of the garden we have been having lunch out there, mr t may come back indoors but I have stayed outside enjoying the peace and quite of our garden. Today at 2pm it was 28c according to the weather app on my mobile phone. I came back indoors just after because it was too hot 🥵 🥵🥵. At 3pm when I was sitting in my living room it was 29c fortunately our living room get the sun when the sun rises after about midday the sun will be the other side of the flat making the garden very hot and by mid afternoon there is only the shade that the parasol gives.

well we should be enjoying the ☀️ ☀️☀️In the Mediterranean at the moment this would be the second week of our cruise but will have to put up with the garden.

we had another social distancing visit from youngest daughter last Saturday when she came to collect Mr Ts laptop surprisingly he is not too bad about it. He has been a bit moody but I think that’s due to all the staying in we have done i can’t complain because I have not been the easiest person to live with lately either again probably due to the same thing. I must away for a potter around. I will try to post more tomorrow.

love and sparkles to you all ❤️❤️❤️🌈🌈🌈

Stay positive always👍xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options

Can we save as we go along Carol? I'm going to have a go.... I couldn't but I can do this

Writing direction right to left made me feel a bit queasy so turned that off🤢

• frogmorton
    Options

Right back to normal

Hi Joan yes the Orient Express would have been amazing wouldn't it? Next year maybe....we shall see. France feels safer because we stay in our vehicle in the chunnel if we drive instead of flying. Is it too hot there? It was here yesterday. P had her biopsy hyesterday so now the waiting.

Yes Kath i did indeed recognise that poem and really love it. I think Versus Arthritis should use it 😀

Lots of nice people in the facebook group. Christine and Elizabeth too who I miss very much from in here at least we know where to find them now👍️

Wow that was posh vegan nosh! Proper a la carte. I wonder whether i can do that? Looks like a lot of ingredients for my small brain, but maybe??? Or shall I just eat the ones you made?!!

Can you have mojitos without mint? I', not keen 😕

P had her biopsy and was home last night she messaged me bless her to say all was well. I am desperate to visit her, but don't want to interfere now her family are here.

Carol I am so very pleased to read how much time you are spending outside! That proves all the hard work and annoyance was worth it I am so pleased for you wants in hot?! Wow and today will be the same. It looks amazing I bet you are both really chuffed.

Luckily for me Paul is pretty well back at work now so we aren't annoying each other tooooo much now. Weekends are feeling a bit more like weekends as a result. I know none of us has found lockdown easy. Glad at least MR T's laptop is in for repair😺

We had my bro and Sis in law over for a socially distant gathering yesterday tea-time. It was great really enjoyed it. I bet you did too seeing youngest. She is nearest to you if I am right?

Barbara how scary it can happen with any food 😮 have they taught your bro's GF what to do? how nearby are you? Did i ask this before?

I hope all is as well as it has been at Christies. Maybe they can stretch his eosophagus? (sp) Paul had a friend when I first met him who used have that done periodically. Sorry if that can't happen. I am very much thinking about him and praying all is well.

P messaged me last night God bless her and seemed ok i like you hope there is treatment available which has good possibility of cure/long term survival. Thank you for your prayers ((()))

To be fait in this heat drinks is all any of us need. We had blinds and the awning put in as well as insect blinds so l can open windows. So far got by with just the fan, but today I am getting the aircon in our bedroom. Just like our Aidan would have done. 40 deg in the UK is MAD!!!

• frogmorton
    Options

and just nipped out the back and took the cover off the pool - everyone welcome including MODS!

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,954
    Options

Morning everyone

Kath I remember the poem very true (((()))) is that your tablets you have torpedoes there. Yes the Creakies are good I don't have a lot of time with the carers coming 3 times a day and getting dinner and going for a walk keeps me moving.

Love to Chris (((())))Anita ((())) and your Dad (((())))

Carol that's good you have the shed (((()))) love to Mr T (((())) sorry you lost the posts (((()))

Barbara how is you Brother (((())) it's frightening you need to relax but you can't (((()))) love to his girlfriend (((((()))) and Mr B ((((()))))

Toni love to Pom ((((()))) have a good holiday where ever you go ((((()))) we will all need one when this is over.

Love to Charley ((((()))) and her girlfriend ((((())) Paul (((())) Lucy (((())) Tia (((())))

Love to Bill (((())) Mig ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

Daily Poem (so funny)

The Sock

It occurred by carelessness and mere happenstance.

If I could move, I would stand and perform a victory dance.

Dropped behind the washing machine, sliding down the back.

I am a solitary sock and my color is black.

I lost my partner a few months ago,

paired with another, in the drawer to be stowed.

We didn't get along, entwined and rolled together.

He smelt like dirty feet, especially in hot weather.

I caught glimpses of my old mate, while hanging on the line.

Called out greetings to each other, he seems to be doing fine.

I noticed a small hole, frayed across his tip.

He said the left toe nail was badly in need of a clip.

I've been stuck behind the machine, all covered in dust.

At first happy with my freedom, now leaving is a must.

I know in time I will be found, like Roger, the blue.

He told me about it once when we were doubled in a shoe.

We socks are always blamed for going missing in the wash.

But human carelessness is usually the cause of our loss.

One more thing about us socks, and this is a fact.

We don't like to be folded and rolled, we like to lie flat.

Phew, it's so hot. Hardly slept a wink last night.

I hope P manages to get the treatment she needs, and that Barbaras brother has more success eating. It must be very distressing for him.

Breakfast Muffins with Apple & Peanut Butter

A great way to start the day, these muffins are easy, cheap to make and taste great! Give yourself the morning boost you need :)

Ingredients: 

• 150g muesli mix
    • 100g caster sugar 
    • 160g plain flour
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • 250ml sweetened plant milk
    • 1 apple, peeled and grated 
    • 2 tbsp vegetable oil 
    • 3 tbsp peanut butter
    • 20g sultanas or raisins
    • Pinch salt (optional)
    • 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)

Method: 

1. Heat the oven to 180°C (fan)/356°F/Gas Mark 4. Line a muffin tin with 8 paper cases. 
    2. Mix the muesli with the light brown sugar, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. 
    3. Combine the milk, apple, oil, nut butter and raisins in a jug and mix well.
    4. Stir this liquid mix into the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon. Divide equally between the cases to about 3/4 full.
    5. Bake for 25-30 mins or until the muffins are risen and golden. Optional: Drizzle some vegan syrup on the top of each one eg maple or agave. 

Summer Lemonade with Strawberry

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    Options
    Evening all..phew thats all I will say..
    Carol your patio looks lovely..we sit in our shed come summer house..sounds grand but it only little..mr b joins me for 5 mins..and will not eat outside because of flys..hahahaha
    Glad you got together with your daughter..its nice to have some normality..xx
    Joan I hope you are all OK.. yes relaxing is the thing but not easy like you say..today he has eaten a little bit..he said I always wanted to lose weight. Poor thing..love to all of you xx
    Toni i can imagine you wanting to visit P..glad that part is overwith..but the waiting...:(.i will carry on saying a prayer for her..it now takes me half hour when I go to bed...:).ooh thankyou for the pancakes..not heard from my brother today but his gf said he has eaten a little..xx
    Kath what a brilliant poem..i love it..and I must stop putting them inside one another..
    Thankyou fot your good wishes for my brother..dam this disease..has you know xx
    I had a read if Emily's blog and really enjoy seeing the bits they pick up..would love to see more pics of there house..
    Thankyou for the muffin recipe..and the strawberry and lemonade drink..i need gallons if that.. xx
    Today I have pottered but mostly sat in front of the fan..42.5 I our back garden...not nice
    Love to everyone
    Xxxx xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    edited 26. Jun 2020, 06:22
    Options

Gosh it was hot yesterday!😎

For today we are going to the beach I have the bus ready everyone aboard!

Joan you are a busy bee! My neighbour's husband is the same with the carers in and out and trying to do everything else too. Printed off some stuff for Charley and her GF for the house purchase so it's all going as it should.

Kath I LOVE that poem because I LOVE socks. Kari knits them and they are gorgeous I love them, but only for wearing in the house not outside. I didn't know they like to lie flat😮 but how do they stay with their partner then?🤔

Checking behind machine later......

Thank you for the muffins they looks totally scrumptious and the drink looks cooling but I will leave out the mint if you don't mind?

Barbara If I was your bro I would be too scared to eat I expect that's an issue with this kind of cancer bless him. Eating should be a pleasure 😕Thank you for your prayers for P I expect a lot of time is spent on your bro at bedtime 🙏 I'm sure i helps.

How is the adorable Niamh? I always want to hear about her after upsetting news have you noticed? She cheers everything up bless her.

It's FRIDAY and i have my Tesco order coming so must get some clothes on!!!

Love to Carol I hope all is well with you Carol and everyone in the family ((()))

Breakfast today while it's cool.....

• dachshund
    Options

Morning everyone

. Kath lovely poem yes socks are easy to loose (((()))) how are you feeling today (((()))) love to Anita (((()))) and your Dad (((())))

Barbara I'm sorry your neighbour had to move that's wrong when she has children ((((()))) love to your brother and his girlfriend (((())))

Toni good luck with your Tesco order hope it's all there ((((()))) love to Paul (((())) Charley ((())) and her girlfriend (((()))) Tia (((()))) Lucy ((())) that's good the house will soon be theirs's (((())))

love to Bill ((())) Mig (((())) Carol (((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

No poem today, sorry, can't find one. The sock one was rather good wasn't it. I'm afraid I don't have time for writing at the moment, but I wll search for new ones in the future. Val tells me that Anita begins her radiotherapy on July 13th - hope it's not a Friday. 😮

I have just posed this in the 'say hello' thread,

"Hello fellow sufferers. My name is Kathleen, and I am looking for members with any type of Arthritis, who are also on FaceBook. Would you be interested in joining a new FB group for Arthritis sufferers. We are called the Crazy Creakies and our group aims to support and advise and also have fun within the group. At the moment we have 19 members and would like new ones (and slightly older ones). It doesn't matter which part of the world you are from, as long as you can speak and write in English. Our only rules are:

1 No politics allowed

2 Be gentle with yourselves and other

3 Be tolerant.

Look forward to hearing from you. Just pop over to FaceBook and search for Crazy Creakies. We are a private group, and only other members can see our posts.

Stay Safe "

What do you think? If you have any personal friends you think might like to join us, please tell them about us.

Toni, I'm not going to Bournemouth! Did you see the crowds? Social distancing was non existentI expect most beaches will be the same. 🤨 My order is due today, but I've changed our day to Thursday for future orders.

Love and hugs to P and Bill. I'm sure P will have successful treatment. 🤞

Vegan Caesar Salad

Liverpool restaurant's Our Kitchen presents this highly nutritious Caesar Salad. It is crisp, hearty and packed with flavour whilst delivering a super protein punch. Healthy and insanely tasty! 

Ingredients: 

Caesar Dressing

• 70g raw cashews - soak overnight
    • 60ml of water
    • 2 tbsp olive oil
    • 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
    • 2 tsp mustard
    • ½ tsp garlic powder
    • 1 tsp vegan Worcestershire sauce
    • 2 tsp capers
    • 2 garlic cloves crushed
    • Large pinch of sea salt and black pepper

Kale

• 1 medium sized bunch of kale

Tofu

• 1 block (400g) of extra firm tofu, drained
    • 2 tbsp of coconut oil 

Croutons

• 1 day old French bread loaf or similar
    • Olive oil
    • Garlic powder

Method: 

Caesar Dressing

1. Soak the cashew nuts overnight, drain then rinse.
    2. Place into a blender along with the other ingredients, blend on high speed, add more water if required.
    3. Blend until smooth. 

Kale 

1. Destem and place in a large pan of boiling water, simmer for 3 minutes.
    2. Remove from water and allow to cool.

Tofu

• Heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in a frying pan.
    • Cut the tofu into 1 inch thick slices and fry until golden brown then leave to cool. 

Croutons

• Pre-heat oven to 190ºC/375ºF/Gas Mark 5.
    • Cut the bread into bite size cubes, ½ inch.
    • Mix the bread , oil and garlic powder together in a large bowl, ensure all bread cubes are coated.
    • Bake for 10-15 mins, turning every 5 minutes until golden brown
    • Allow to cool. 

Assembly

Place the kale into a serving bowl, add the dressing then scatter with croutons and top with the tofu and vegan parmesan (we like Violiife Prosociano) 

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options

Morning all we have the decking finished I'm loving it this warm weather, my ra is starting to flare ,I've had a year since chemo finished so looks like they are /have left my system,some of the therapy included drugs for the ra, I have a appointment with rheumy in a couple of weeks so we shall see what she comes up with.

Crocheting on the deck, making a blanket should be ready for the winter.

• frogmorton
    edited 27. Jun 2020, 05:56
    Options

It's raining!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have all the windows open cooling down the house

Just give them a clean first (yeah right!!)

Mig the blankets looks amazing I love it!! I bet it was hot crocheting underneath it though even on the lovely decking. I bet you sit on it all day I know I would 🙂

Time has flown 12 months?! I hope your rheumatologist will sort you out I'm sure she will ((()))🌈

Joan yes all being well the house will be theirs soon. They haven't been hassling the older couple in the one they are buying, but I will suggest they check in on them soon. Survey has been done.

As for the Tesco order - yes mine was all there PLUS someone else's! I had to ring Tesco they said to keep it but it was meat and fish-fingers kids stuff. I took it to someone in the village the lady with the twin babies and the 6 year old.. Sadly it was frozen so couldn't donate to the food bank.

Hi Kath That ceasar salad looks yum and much better than the ceasar salad dressing I tried once 🤢vegan food is not always good is it?

The biopsy for P was rough really rough took ages then 4 hours lying down 2 hours sat before they let her go home. No general just a local although the nurses were so very kind. She had to spend all day in bed the next day bless. Should get results quicker the staff told her. They didn't tell her much at the time only that they had found the lumps and got what they needed. She says unless it's an almost definite cure she won't have treatment😕 We have 4 Drs in our little village I will leave it to them to advise when we know what her options are.

I wonder whether you'll get much response to your advert? It's fine very welcoming and inclusive.👌

I just told Joan I had an extra bag of shopping not mine! The poor person who is short of their food😕 It was frozen so wasn't allowed to return it so gave it to the lady with the twin boys and the little girl.

I prefer Thursday for my shopping too although I am not always that lucky!

Barbara had Niamh yesterday so that's why she's been AWOL. Hopefully cheered her up a lot after the trauma with her bro the other day.

It's Saturday so croissants and coffee...

• frogmorton
    Options

Forgot to say we have a drive-in Cinema starting here soon in main the town nearby! I am so exited. Not new films, but some old ones. I am wanting to see Casablanca. I've never seen it believe it or not!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

this came to me

Bill we had a good friend called Aidan who helped us through our pain

He made us laugh with all his tales from when he worked as a matron

We will always miss him has will you so can you tell us some tales

We would love to know more he had such a lot to put up with but he was always happy

thank you Aidan and Bill (((()))

Kath I hope you have a good weekend ((())) love to Anita ((())) and your Dad (((()))

Mig lovely blanket (((())) have a good weekend ((()))

Toni ((()) I'm sorry Pom had to go through that but it helps (((())) that's goo the house will be Charley's and her friends soon (((())) love to Paul ((())) Lucy (((())) Tia (((())) have a good weekend all of you (((()))

. Love to Carol (((())) Barbara (((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    Options
    Morning all its rains..so nice and cool
    Yes Toni Niamh is here ..she keeps saying gm mask time that means she is coming for an hug...bless
    .she said its the best day ever...hahahaha
    I am glad to here Charley and gfs house is going through OK.. a drive in cinema wow..think they had one nearby a few years ago..very American..
    I said another prayer fir P...my bro went to Christie's Thursday but not heard a thing..they do live in the same town has we di
    Thsnkyou for breakfast I adore mushrooms on toast..done with garlic and crem fresh..oh and springs onions..sirry forgot to mention the pool..i was busy paddling in it..and count me in for a trip to the seaside..but all those people ignoring the social distances....and the poor nurses...:( xx
    Mig how nice your decking looks and in time fir the nice weather.. i do love the cover you have made...i have oa and my joints don't like the heat one bit..i hope your appointment goes OK..xx
    Joan yes I feel fir my neughbour..but she wants a fresh start..but sad to leave..its all go at yours..do you have the same carers..xx
    Kath I like a good ceaser salad.. thankyou..sorry I can't post in the creakys..but will read it...:)
    I am sure a new poem will come into your head..xx
    Right my eyes are going live to all
    Xxxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem

POCAHONTAS

by Jerry Lucius

Pocahontas, Little Snow-Feather*,

what possessed you to marry that pale stranger*,

to cross the blue, blue Atlantic,

leaving behind your mother and your father?

How naive you were to think they wouldn’t destroy you….

But Pocahontas, Little Snow-Feather,

bones-under-England-soil, it is your spirit–

not that of Cortez or Colonel Forsyth*–

your generosity, your love, which will prevail.

Pocahontas by Simon Van de Passe

Joan, that piece about Aidan and Bill is truly beautiful. You must be a true poet, I'm so proud of you. I've copied and saved it to my word processor. If I was you, I'd post it in the Crazy Creakies group. Debbie Miller would love it. When something 'comes' to you like that, it's inspiration. Which is why I call you a true poet. 😍

Barbara, we had a real downpour this morning. I hardly slept last night, what with the heat, pain, somebody arguing outside. But I dozed off earlier and woke to the lovely sound of heavy rain. Your brother is like my sister. I found out from a post by Val on FB, that she starts her radiotherapy on Monday 13th July.

Toni, oh I'm so pleased the girls will soon get their house. And you are to get a drive in cinema. How exciting. P seemed to have a tough time of her biopsy. Mine too about 3 hours. A physical check, a mammogram, and then the actual biopsy. Samples taken from the boob lumps and samples from the lymph node beneath the armpit - that hurt.

mig, such a smashing photo of you crocheting on the patio. They are so beautiful.

I hope Carol gets the chance to sit out in her new garden. Perhaps she hasn't had much rain'

Turmeric Chai Cake

Whoever said vegan cakes were dry needs to try this recipe! Think moist and comforting rather than your traditional light and fluffy, with plenty of spice and creamy icing.

Ingredients: 

• 65g/½ cup sunflower spread
    • 265g/1⅛ cups golden granulated sugar
    • 400g/1½ cups soya yoghurt
    • 240g/2 cups plain flour
    • 1 tsp baking powder
    • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    • 1 tsp ground turmeric
    • Contents of an Assam teabag
    • ½ tsp ground cloves
    • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
    • ½ tsp ground ginger
    • ¼ tsp salt

Method: 

1. Preheat oven to 180ºC (fan)/350ºF/Gas Mark 4.
    2. Grease and flour a 9" cake tin (or line with greaseproof paper if you're fancy).
    3. Cream the sunflower spread and sugar together.
    4. Add the yoghurt and mix well.
    5. Mix all dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
    6. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix well. (It may be a thicker cake batter than you're used to).
    7. Pour into the tin and smooth the top so that it's level-ish.
    8. Bake for about 45 minutes before checking how it's doing. Stick a toothpick into the centre – if it comes out clean, your cake is ready! If not, try another few minutes and check again. Ovens vary!
    9. Allow to cool in the tin before removing for icing.
    10. Ice however you wish or sprinkle with icing sugar. We use a vegan buttercream made with margarine, lots of icing sugar and some spices.

• frogmorton
    edited 28. Jun 2020, 06:11
    Options

Wow Joan! That was lovely! Aidan has inspired you 🙂 Would you like me to pass your piece on to Bill to read. I think he'd love it and be so touched.

Thank you for all he ((())) for us all ((())) for you and Sue ((())) for the doggies!

Barbara Niamh is a good girl wearing her mask. Mind you she is a good girl full stop isn't she? I bet it was wonderful being with her. Shame it wasn't hot so she could go in the pool🙄

I'm glad you enjoyed the mushrooms on toast lovely aren't they but yours are so posh!

What is your bro like! You live in the same town and he didn't tell you how he got on!! MEN!!

Kath yes these biopsies are nasty, but they do need to be done so that we find out what is what. Poor poor you. It paid off though and let's hope it pays off for P too and it's actually treatable. They said it might be she hears quicker as it's still quite quiet in the hospitals. How is Anita doing and your Dad too?

My niece in law is STILL in! She really must have been dangerously ill mustn't she? that's the 11th day today!

Loved the poem by Jerry Lucius about Pochohontas. Very interesting tale that I know no-one knows the truth really, but it's not all disney for sure!

I can't wait for the drive in cInema! What a good and safe idea. It's at one of the stately homes we looked at for Tia's wedding so will be fabulous and above all SAFE!😊

Not sure what we will do today no doubt a drive somewhere just for the fun of it.

My bro helped me yesterday in the garden between showers luckily to do a quiz for choir on Thursday....

Love to Carol I hope all is well with the family - all of them!

Some food...

its Sunday shall we have a fry up?

vegan/veggie option available.

• barbara12
    edited 28. Jun 2020, 21:04
    Options
    evening all..not stopped raining today..but we had a lovely dinner OH had to pick it up and its chilled..so 20 mins in the oven..:)
    Joan I love the words about Aidan ..rught from the heart..bless i am sure Bill will love it.you are always so kind.xx
    Toni thankyou for a very large breakfast..i shared it with the street..hahahaha..
    How nice of your brother helping with your garden...i had one message off mine all was well with the bloods and scan..and thats it...like you say men..eh
    I hope P is not in to much pain bless...still thinking of her in my prayers and your neice.xx
    It was me wearing a mask..every time Niamh wanted to come near me I had to put one on..i was heating up with it..but it was worth it...:) xx
    Kath you did go through it..how awful..but so glad the treatment worked for you..xx
    Thankyou for the
    Pocahontas poem its a bit beyond my brain though....
    the turmeric cake is very interesting ..i am always looking for ways to use it...hope that tooth is behaving xx
    Better finish
    Love to everyone
    Xxxxxxcx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Hi Barbara ah!! You had to put your mask on! Niamh certainly knows the rules bless her. Of course it was worth it totally worth it 😷 there you are with a droplet of sweat on your forehead!

Typical men yes well good at least to know things are staying stable for him. I hope he at least mentioned the choking fit🙄 roll on the day his GF can go too so they know the whole story!

My bro sat in the garden between showers. Helped me write a quiz for virtual choir. Sorry my appalling punctuation😣

A dinner that only needs 20 mins in the oven? That'll do me! little things really help don't hey? Small pleasures and treats. I LOVE my cups of starbucks/Costa coffees out o our drives at the weekends.

Joan where is Joan? I hope everything is ok? With you, Sue and the carers? Can I copy your words for Bill? they were so lovely I know he will love them.

Kath are you ok too this is very odd. Must check if you were on Fbook yesterday🤔

Love to Carol and Mig

Breakfast today shall be cereal we have been overeating!

Will pop back to check all is well later...

• dachshund
    Options

Good Morning everyone

Barbara I'm pleased your brother is doing alright love to him ((())) and his girl friend ((((())) and Mr B ((())) at's good you enjoyed your dinner yesterday ((()))

Toni I hope everyone is doing OK (((()))) love to Pom (((()))) and Paul ((())) Lucy ((()))TIa ((((())) Charley (((()))) and her girlfriend (((()))

I'm sorry about yesterday I said Toni you could send it to Bill it would not let me post yesterday it kept coming up you have not got permission to do that so I hope this goes

Love to Bill (((!))) Kath (((())) Mig (((())))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem (this is so sweet)

You Were There

© Emily Robinson More By Emily Robinson

Published: October 2008

Source: https://www.familyfriendpoems.com/poem/you-were-there

When tears fell from my eyes,

you were there to brush them away.

When I was lost in confusion,

you were there to say that everything would be okay.

When I stood before you falling apart,

you were there to lend your heart.

When I felt like no one could understand,

you were there to take my hand.

When no one else was left to care,

you were there.

Ioan, I've posted your poem in the Creakies group. I've also posted it on Aidan's Facebook page, but I don't know how often Bill looks at it, so perhaps Toni could let him have a copy either by printing it and mailing it, or whichever method sh can manage it.

Toni, oh dear, you did get a bit muddled yesterday. Joan and I are safe and reasonably well. I think Joan might have been trying to post onto Aidan's FB page. I managed, but don't know whether Bill still goes there. Those cereals were just what the doctor ordered for breakfast, thank you.

Barbara, If I understood right, all seems to be good with your brother. And Niamh is being very strict with you obeying the rule. I've a feeling she might grow up to be a very kind nurse. I hope you all did as she said. 😉

Hazelnut Pesto Pasta

You can use this pesto in lots of different ways and change it up with wild garlic if you fancy some foraging. Simple, healthy and a lovely fresh flavour.

Ingredients: 

• 400g wholewheat spaghetti
    • Salt 

Hazelnut pesto

• 150g hazelnuts (with or without skins)
    • 80g fresh basil OR 60g wild garlic and 20g fresh basil 
    • 2 cloves garlic, peeled
    • 2 tbsp lemon juice
    • 200ml olive oil
    • 1 tbsp syrup (eg maple or agave)
    • Salt and pepper to taste

Optional serving suggestions: fresh basil, cherry tomatoes, vegan Parmesan or Greek-style cheese

Method: 

1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. 
    2. Heat a panful of water for the pasta.
    3. Place the hazelnuts on a baking tray and roast in the oven for 5-10 minutes. Be careful they don't burn. 
    4. If the hazelnuts are skinned, go to stage 5. If not, put them in a clean tea towel and rub them together to remove the skins. 
    5. Place the hazelnuts in a blender and then pulse until roughly chopped but not smooth. 
    6. Add all the other pesto ingredients into the blender and pulse, but leave fairly chunky. 
    7. Add the spaghetti to the boiling water, then simmer according to instructions on the packet. 
    8. Drain the spaghetti and stir the pesto into the warm pasta. 
    9. Serve with optional serving suggestions. 

• barbara12
    Options
    Evening all..late again.more rain today but I managed to plant my French lavender..it came from lavender world in Yorkshire.. we have been there it is so wonderful to just walk through all the lavender fields..
    Toni thankyou for the cereals I like cornflakes with really cold milk and banana.. our dinner came from a nearby restaurant..its the second one we have had for a real treat...:)
    it's nice to get out even on your drive having a coffee..a bit of normality.. did
    you managed to get lots of gardening done...xx
    Joan i think my brother us doing ok a man if few words.. i hope you are all doing ok ..today and yesterday h
    as been so cold here..xx
    Kath what a lovely poem..proper comforting.. thankyou and for the hazelnut pesto pasta.. i bet that taste good
    I see that Anita id like my brother..not saying much..not good is it...i rely on his gf...xx
    Love to everyone
    Xxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara