Misty hazel eyes, whispered words gently pleading

Tick tock flick of the clock

So dragging back from fading lights

Warm hands holding, wife forever caring

Open eyes and live again

So love always won and the dark has gone away.

Written just after I left intensive care.

I rang up about our box this morning, they said quite a few people didn't get one, but we should get one this coming Friday. Hope so.

Carol, poor Florence. I hope the virus won't drive the spiders indoors! Your garden is coming along nicely, and you look very grand sat out in it. I'm sure you will have plenty of opportunity to have your family visit.

Toni, that is an amazing teapot, and you can do your washing in it too. Aidan would have wanted 3 of them. 😋

Barbara, I thought you'd enjoy the wedding poem, t was very cheerful and the recipe was Chestnut, Mushroom & Red Wine Pithivier.

Joan, I'm very happy to know Dachshunds live a long time. Let's hope Lexi lasts for 16 or more years.

Carrot, Beetroot & Cumin Burgers

Healthy, delicious and simple to make... what more could you want!? Enjoy theses burgers in summer months on the barbecue or for tasty, comfort food in the winter. The recipe below makes about 8-10 burgers... it's good to make them in a big batch like this then freeze the rest. If you only want to make less then halve the recipe. 

Ingredients: 

• 2 medium onions (diced)
    • 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
    • 500g/10 cups coarsely grated mixed carrot and beetroot grated (using the second biggest holes of the grater)
    • 50g/1 cup fresh coriander, chopped
    • 2 tsp toasted and ground cumin seeds
    • 2 tsp paprika powder
    • 2 tins chickpeas, drained and ground roughly in food processor (or crushed with potato masher)
    • 100g ground flax
    • Salt (enough to create good, strong flavour before they are cooked)

Method: 

1. Pre-heat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6
    2. Fry the onion until lightly browned on a medium heat. Add the garlic and fry for a minute or two.
    3. Mix all ingredients together in a large mixing bowl until fully combined but not completely smooth (this is best done using your hands).
    4. Shape the mixture into ten balls and then flatten and shape into burgers (if you are freezing any of the burgers, put them in the freezer at this stage).
    5. Place on a lined baking tray and heat in the oven for around 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
    6. If Barbecuing, heat in the oven for just 20 minutes and then transfer to a hot barbecue. Cook on either side until lightly charred. 

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Evening all again the sun has come out late afternoon so I am sat in my shed...
    We managed to get to our gc today..we have tried a few time but there were so many queuing today just a few ..it took 5 mins to get in and it was so easy to follow the arrows..and they hadn't let many in..but couldn't have tea and cake..whatever would our Aidan say..got some pond plants...:)
    Toni thankyou for breakfast..and the gorgeous teapot just for Aidan he would love that and so do I..
    I'm so glad Paul got to see Lucy ..I hope she us well..I think of her often ..(())
    Oh the wee thing. I would certainly need a few practices.. blimey so Kari ran marathons and did fell running ..goid for her..xx
    Carol your garden looks lovely..and so nice for you to be able to sit out..what a shame your daughter couldn't come...hopefully it wont be long till you get a nice day..and a lovely Anniversary clock for you both..I love it.xx
    Joan our jack Russel Susie was 18 ..its been around 15 years now and I still miss her..she was my late dads dog....your two have such good homes ..that is everything xx
    Kath another good poem..and the recipe carrot beetroot and cumin Burger sounds so good and healthy
    I hope you get your parcel on Friday..they shouldn't let people down after starting it..xx
    Right I will make a move..not sure were to..hahaha
    Love to all
    Xxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,431
    Options

Hi Joan yes I loved my ride out it was great. Something different to see. Are you doing ok? are you and Sue getting your shopping ok?

Kath I was holding my breath for that poem. Will he live? Thank goodness! very apt too for these times. Some people could rake comfort from those word just now. I am feeling desperately sorry for Kate Garroway with her husband so very poorly.

I would have thought they would have got your box out ASAP not said you'll get one this week! Some people totally rely on those!

Well Paul was in Scotland overnight all alone except two other workers in the hotel. No bath - he likes his bath, but he had a shower instead. In spite of him being away no sign of the large s****r so maybe Clarence and Florence had had a word🤔

Those burgers look amazing I have never made them with carrot and beetroot in them. Used to have to make them myself as you couldn't buy any ready made ones.

Barbara The wee-thingy is en route....Good job we have plenty of gloves in the house ATM isn't it for practicing accidents!!!!😁 Kari did used to run a lot and all the fell walking too. She couldn't now, but she has her bike and walks on more level ground.

Paul will see Lucy this afternoon on his way home from Aberdeen he can't wait. I hope she likes her box of goodies. I bet she will.

Well done getting to the GC I haven't braved ours at all although they delivered my plants for me. I know - no cake. Aidan would have to put his cake on his shopping order bless him. He would have hated this, but probably been very reassuring for us lot.

It is exactly 6 months today since his heart attack 😓

No Toni pull yourself together!

Breakfast:

Vegge sausage fritata

which pot shall we use?

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,936
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath I'm sorry why do they forget you some comes to us on Thursdays with a bag of food we don't have them so they go of with it to the next one ((((()))) love to Chris (((())) Anita ((())) and your Dad (((()))

. Barbara I'm sorry you could not have your cake an a drink at the Garden Centre it's a little treats you miss (((()))

Love to Mr B (((())) and your Brother (((()))

Toni yes I miss Aidan lovely kind man who's missed by all (((()))) he would have had a problem with his breathing now I think (((())). I hope Lucy was well (((()))) and Paul (((())) Charley and her friend (((()))Tia (((()))

. Love to Carol Mig ((())) Bill ((())) Chris (((())) Yvonne (((())))

take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    Options
    Afternoon all..its looking like a nice day..our middle gd us coming to sit in the garden with us..just hope it doesn't rain..
    Toni thankyou for breakfast that looks yummy..must say I like all the teapots..I must get one...
    Lycy will be over the moon with a surprise box of goodies ..:)..it will be nice to see Paul has well..hope it's not long before you can go..
    The gc was so nice..and it's very big so we didnt come across anyone
    .it was really well done..but weird...
    6 month has gone so quickly.. bless... Aidan will be picking up on all the love ...he was a great believer in this..its still unbelievable...:( xx
    Joan yes it's good to get out but not be able to have a cuppa.. still there are worse things..like I say we will appreciate things more when its over..love to all of you xx
    Hi to Kath and anyone else that pops in
    Love to all
    Xxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    edited 9. Jun 2020, 11:55
    Options

Checked in on BILL I didn't mention the 'anniversary' and he seems fine. Well as fine as anyone can be with all he's been through.

Just thought you'd all want to know.

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

Daily Poem

Where Would We Be?

By Kathleen Thorpe

Where would be be

without one another?

So let's stay close 

and support each other.

Sharing our worries 

and all of our fears

on and on

throughout the years.

Let's keep our friendship,

and form a bond,

remember the things

that made us grow fond

of every person,

we meet through time

a union of souls

so true and sublime.

Good News, Anita has her results, the lymph nodes they removed were clear (HOORAY) and next week she will have a telephone conversation with her consultant to arrange radiotherapy. She thought it was this week, but on checking the letter, it wasn't. 🙄

Toni, to be fair the lady at the council offered me one of their boxes on Wednesday, but I refused because if I had ne of those and another arrived on Friday, we would have been inundated with grub, so we're waiting to see if one does arrive on Friday. Another delicious meal, and another beautiful T-pot. Blimey, 6 months. We will never get over it, but I'm happy that Bill is doing well. I don't think he really needs reminding.

Barbara, I'm glad you had a good day at the GC and bought some lovely plants. But no cake or cuppa - abominable.

Joan, I'm not sure what happened with our box, the county council are blaming the borough council and the borough council are blaming the county council. They all seem at sixes and sevens with it. 😯

Jerk Tofu with Rice & Peas

Bring the carnival to your kitchen with this hearty, protein-rich and delicious dish! Comfort food at it's best...

Ingredients: 

Tofu

• 600g tofu (approx — doesn't matter if it's a bit more or less), sliced around 0.5cm thick, drained and pressed (or just pat down with kitchen roll or clean tea towel to remove water)
    • Soy sauce (not needed until the frying stage)
    • Nutritional yeast (not needed until the frying stage)

Jerk marinade

If you're short of time you can pour over a shop-bought jerk marinade, making sure the tofu is covered on both sides

• 2-3 cloves garlic, peeled
    • ½ onion, peeled and roughly chopped
    • Thumbnail of ginger, peeled
    • 1 bunch spring onions, ends removed
    • Juice of 1 lime
    • 2 tbsp soy sauce
    • 2 tbsp veg oil
    • 2-3 tbsp brown sugar
    • 2 tsp allspice
    • ¼ tsp cinnamon (optional)

Rice & Peas 

• 300g basmati rice
    • 1 x 400g tin coconut milk
    • 450ml cold water
    • ¼ tsp ground allspice 
    • 2 sprigs thyme 
    • 1 tin kidney beans, drained and rinsed 
    • ½ tsp salt 
    • 1 bunch spring onions, ends removed and finely sliced

Method: 

Jerk marinade 

1. Blitz all the ingredients in a high powered blender or food processor until smooth. Don't be tempted to add water as the sauce needs to be thick.  
    2. Try the marinade and then add more sugar, soy sauce or lime juice if necessary, until the flavours are balanced.

Tofu (marinate)

1. Cover the sliced tofu in the marinade (on both sides) and rub it in. Leave in the fridge for a minimum of an hour, ideally. 

Rice and Peas

1. Put the rice in a medium sized saucepan then rinse in cold water. 
    2. Add all of the ingredients to the pan apart from the kidney beans.
    3.  Put the lid on the pan, bring to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes. 
    4. Add the kidney beans after 10 minutes and then simmer for another 5 minutes with the lid off. 

Tofu (fry)

1. Whilst the rice is cooking, heat some oil in a large frying pan on medium heat and then add the marinated tofu slices to the pan. 
    2. Drizzle over a little soy sauce and a sprinkling of nutritional yeast. 
    3. Fry on both sides until golden. 

Serve with rice and peas, mango salsa, fresh thyme leaves and fried plantain (fry slices of ripe plantain on either side in a little oil and salt). 

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• frogmorton
    edited 10. Jun 2020, 06:54
    Options

Kath absolutely l didn't want to remind Bill just chcek in in case he was feeling sad and no-one had remembered.

Yipeddy-do-dah! GREAT news about Anita roll on radiotherapy ☺️ Such great great news! No chemo and you and l know how much better off she will be without that🙄

Fair enough two food boxes might have been a bit much for you both!! hehe!

Loving the jerk tofu I think I could eat that with pleasure. I miss things like that a bit different. The marinade recipe I shall keep for definite far better than buying shop bought.

The friends poem sums up our little café perfectly. Thank you😘

Joan Lucy was really pleased to see Paul yesterday and loved her box of goodies i sent up. It included 16 loo rolls should last them a while. I have the environmentally friendly ones which actually always came in boxes of 48! Aidan would have suffered if he had been here for this vile virus.

Barbara it wasn't a really ice day yesterday, but it didn't rain so did you get your cuppa with middle GD? I hope you did. We were supposed to go to Pom's today for the same, but sadly.....it's raining today 😕

Mind you I keep saying the garden needs it and FINALLY he people are coming out to see what is wrong with Bessie-bot who is not mowing properly.

Paul was so pleased to see Lucy and so was she- she videocalled me afterwards for about an hour until the battery went on my phone ya boo!

I have tea pots in real life none as loved as these.

• frogmorton
    Options

Scrambled eggs on toast and a cup of yorkshire tea!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath lovely poem yes we all need friends to tell our worries to (((()))) that's good news for Anita (((())) love to your Dad ((()))

Barbara I hope it stays fine for your granddaughter to come (((())) love to Mr B (((())))

Toni thank you for getting in touch with Bill (((()))) Lucy was pleased with her box has long as she's happy she's been through a lot (((()))) love to Paul (((())) Charley and friend ((((()))) Tia (((()))

love to Bill (((()))Carol (((())) Mig ((())) Chris (((())) Yvonne (((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem (bit out of date for computers, but hope you enjoy it any way.)

It Doesn't Compute!

The computer is an incredible thing,

just switch one on and see;

but what benefit does a Pentium bring

to the likes of you and me?

500MHz is fast -

much faster than I can type -

so will I create a best seller at last

instead of my usual tripe?

Those fancy fonts and coloured ink

for my laser printer work well,

producing work quicker than I can think

and I really must learn how to spell!

My modem can contact Australia

in the blinking of an eye

but I can't use this paraphernalia

no matter how hard I try.

I sit at the keyboard all fingers and thumbs

with one eye on the mouse,

waiting until inspiration comes

and I really don't want to grouse,

but somebody always knocks at the door

the moment I get an idea

and my memory now is getting quite poor

so I always forget it I fear.

So the next time I feel the urge to write

I'll slip away to my den

and then I think that I really might

go back to my notebook and pen!!

Joan, thank you, yes it is good for Anita.

Toni, Scrambled eggs, yummy. How lovely, Lucy had a lovely visit from Paul and then wore your mobile battery down. Only 16 loo rolls? Let's hope they don't get diarrhea! 😯

Sending hugs to Barbara, Carole, mig and anyone I've missed.

Creamy Cashew & Tofu Curry

This is a lovely rich and creamy curry, full of flavour and protein. It's easy to make and could be one for the weekly staples.

Ingredients: 

• 6 tbsp cashews, soaked in 500ml/2 cups boiling water for 10-15 minutes
    • 1 onion, finely diced
    • 1 fresh chilli, finely chopped
    • 2 thumbnails of ginger, peeled and grated
    • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    • 2 tins chopped tomatoes
    • 1 tbsp tomato puree
    • 1 tbsp sugar or syrup (optional) 
    • 2 stock cubes (or 3 tsp stock powder), dissolved and mixed well in 2 tbsp boiling water
    • 1 tbsp lemon juice
    • 200g firm tofu, cut into 2cm cubes
    • 2-3 tbsp soya sauce
    • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional) 
    • Salt and pepper, to taste

Spices

• 1 cinnamon stick or ½ tsp ground cinnamon
    • ½ tsp ground cardamom 
    • 1 tsp chilli powder 
    • 2 tsp ground coriander 
    • 1 tsp ground fenugreek
    • Pinch ground cloves 

Serving suggestions: fresh coriander, fresh chilli, toasted cashews, vegan natural yoghurt, rice, vegan naan, onion bhajis, vegetable samosas

Method: 

1. Soak the cashews in 500ml boiling water for 10-15 minutes and set aside. 
    2. Fry the onion in a little oil until soft. 
    3. Add the chilli and ginger and fry for a couple of minutes, stirring frequently. 
    4. Stir in the garlic and fry for a further minute. 
    5. Add the spices and fry for another minute. You might need to add a bit more oil at this stage. 
    6. Blend the cashews thoroughly, along with the water they are soaking in. 
    7. Add them to the mix along with the tomato puree, tinned tomatoes, stock and sugar. 
    8. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until reduced slightly and thickened. 
    9. Whilst the curry is simmering, make the tofu. 
    10. Fry the tofu in a little oil unti slightly crisp and golden. 
    11. Add the soya sauce and the nutritional yeast and stir. 
    12. Add the fried tofu and lemon juice to the curry and stir through. 
    13. Taste the curry and adjust the seasoning where necessary. 

• barbara12
    Options
    Afternoon all..
    Yesterday we had a couple if hours with our middle gd...2 chairs outside and me in the shed..it was lively to see her..but nearly went for an hug...
    Niamh is going back to school in Monday..they call it a bubble 10 children and all the teacher have been tested ..no uniform in case they have grown out if it..I am pleased for her she is a people person and loves everyone at school...
    Toni thankyou for checking in Bill..I am ashamed to say I haven't.. but will do soon..
    Thankyou fir breakfast ..I will definatly get a teapot..
    I'm so glad Lucy is ok and featured you..I had to laugh at toilet rolls..cant do without them..xx
    Kath I am so very pleased for Anita bless her ..I hope she get the radiotherapy very soon.. xx did you write both poems..they are so good..we are a friendly bunch and I know what you mean about pen and paper..no letters to leave our familys..
    I like the sound if both meals but the tofu curry sounds amazing..thankyou...xx
    Joan we had rain on and off but we enjoyed seeing our gd..I cant wait for the day we can hugs them..love to all of you...xx
    Better move no need to water the garden today
    Xxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Barbara how lovely to have seen your middle GD now you just need to see eldest GD and her fiancée, but that won't be as easy🤔 I bet you wanted a hug it's very hard. I am glad to hear people alone like Kari can join up with family (should be her son and DIL if she braves it) now and go in and out of each other's houses.

We have bubbles at our school there are signs everywhere telling the parents not to loiter and 'burst the bubble'! Bless the teachers doing it for the children. Niamh will really benefit from the company I am sure 🙂

Yes Lucy now has plenty of loo roll! Like seeing your eldest GD it will be a while yet for me to see her. I'm sure Bill would love a message. It was the date which triggered me off. Today would be 6 months since they had to switch Aidan's ventilator off 😓 I still can't believe it either.

Hi Joan I just wanted to see if Bill was ok. That 6 months has flown by I still miss Aidan so much he was truly a lovely man. He know he's not alone that's what matters. Lucy is happy yes as you say it's all that matters. She's starting a beauty course up in Scotland in August.

Kath I totally got the poem yes a little out of date maybe, but we're all old enough to remember. Would my girls though?? Probably not! Back to pen and paper? We wouldn't now although i still do for lists....🤔

That curry looks amazing and nutritious too....will have to try it on Paul this weekend instead of our usual curry night take-away.

The loo roll is from a company called 'Who gives a c**p' they are all double rolls too so she can safely have the two bob bits!!!😁

Phone battery all run down sadly, but we had been chatting for the best part of an hour!

What shall we have for our breakfast today then?

prune tart and custard!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath thank you for the poem (((())) I type with one finger when I was a teenager I did shorthand has well.

love to Anita (((()))Chris I hope he's well has can be ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Barbara good that Niamh can go to school (((())) I bet that was lovely seeing your granddaughter (((())) love to your brother and his girlfriend (((()))

Toni good luck to Lucy in August for her Beauty course (((())) love to Paul (((())) Charley and her friend ((())) Tia ((())) I won't forget Aidan (((())) or bubbles who I thought was a lady

love Carol ((())) Mig (((())) Chris (((())) Yvonne (((()))Bill (((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Barbara, this is good news for you and Niamh.

As lockdown restrictions are eased, the government has announced a new plan for people in England to set up "support bubbles".

The scheme is aimed at people who've been cut off from friends and family during the coronavirus pandemic.

What are support bubbles?

A bubble is defined as a group of people with whom you have close physical contact.

Coronavirus spreads when people mix - be it at work, in shops, pubs and clubs, or on buses and trains.

The virus is transmitted by droplets from infected people when they talk, cough and sneeze. These can enter the body through the eyes, nose and mouth, either directly or after touching a contaminated object.

In lockdown, to try to control the spread of Covid-19, people have been asked to maintain social distancing from anyone who is not in their household. The current recommendation in the UK is that people stay 2m (6ft) apart from each other.

Limiting interactions with others is the best defence against coronavirus.

Who can you share a bubble with?

In England from 13 June a single adult living alone (or with children under the age of 18) will be able to form a "support bubble" with one other household (of any size).

This means they can act as if they are one household - for instance, they can go into each other's houses, stay the night and don't have to maintain social distancing.

You can only have one bubble per household - you can't change the arrangement and add other households.

People who are already shielding - with underlying health conditions - will not be able to take part.

Some examples of those who would be able to benefit from "bubbling" are:

• A grandparent living alone would be able to form a support bubble with one of their children, which means they could go to see them and interact with their grandchildren
    • A single parent could form a support bubble with a parent or friend so they could interact as normal
    • Two single people who each live alone could form a support bubble
    • A couple who don't live together could form a bubble if they both live alone or if one of them lives with someone else (in this case the person who they live with wouldn't be allowed to form another bubble).

If anyone in the bubble gets coronavirus symptoms all of the people in the group will have to self-isolate for 14 days.

The government had asked the independent advisory group Sage to examine if, when and how people might safely be allowed to expand their bubble.

The bubble concept is already being used in New Zealand and is being considered by the Scottish government.

• Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem

Bubbling

by Kath

I feel a bubble coming on.

which family member should I choose? 

It could be my youngest, who lives quite close to me,

or maybe I should pick one of my middle three?

Should it be my eldest, who lives down in Devon?

Thank goodness there are only five,

I couldn’t cope with seven.

Decisions, decisions, so very hard to make,

But whichever one I choose to have,

I’d better make some cake.

Joan, I started a shorthand course aged 16, but couldn't get the hang of it. But I was a touch typist, now I just use 2 fingers or sometimes one. 🙄 I originally thought Bubbles was a lady too. How Aidan would have laughed.

Toni, I'm all over that Prune tart and custard. Now who would say that? 😏 Well I suppose that's an appropriate name for loo roll. 🤔

Barbara, just think, Niamh could stay over and have her roast with you. Bless.

Easy Quiche with Broccoli & Sundried Tomatoes

Ingredients: 

• 200g whole wheat flour
    • 65ml olive oil & 1 tbsp for frying
    • 65ml water
    • 400g block of firm tofu
    • 1 leek, thinly sliced
    • 4 cloves of garlic, minced
    • ½ jar of sundried tomatoes, drained and roughly chopped
    • 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
    • ½ head of broccoli, par-boiled
    • 20g fresh basil
    • 1 tsp dried oregano
    • ½ tsp salt
    • Good pinch of black pepper

Method: 

1. Mix the olive oil and water, using a whisk to thoroughly combine until cloudy (this is the oil emulsifying). In a separate bowl, combine 200g flour with the salt, then gently pour the oil / water mixture into it.
    2. Knead the ingredients for a few minutes with your hands until it comes together. Roll out the dough into a round shape on a lightly floured surface with a rolling pin (or a bottle of wine!) until just bigger than your tart dish. Lightly grease your dish with olive oil, then carefully transfer the flat dough to the dish and spread it out so it neatly covers all the edges. Place the dish with the dough in the fridge to chill for 20 minutes.    
    3. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180C (360F) and prepare the filling.
    4. Unwrap the tofu and press it gently between your hands over the sink to squeeze out some of the liquid, then break up the tofu into a food processor. Blitz until smooth and creamy, adding a little splash of water or nut milk if necessary to help it reach a cream cheese texture.
    5. In a frying pan, heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil and gently fry the leek for a few minutes. Add the garlic, broccoli, basil, oregano, sun-dried tomatoes, nutritional yeast, and seasoning (to taste) and continue to stir for another few minutes.
    6. Now take the pan off the heat and stir in the processed tofu until thoroughly combined. Spoon the mixture into the base and spread out evenly using the back of a spoon.
    7. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the quiche is firm to the touch, starting to go golden on the top, and the base is nice and crispy.
    8. Best served warm but store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 4 days as it’s also delicious served cold or reheated.

• barbara12
    Options
    Evening all we have had plenty if rain today
    I have tummy trouble no need for prunes..not a clue what it is my oh or son doesn't have it
    Kath that is good news..myst say thi u am pretty nervous about it..think I will leave it a few more weeks but then again Niamh could pick something up at school and pass it on...we will have to see..what a lovey cake you made...brilliant colours..and I like the bubble poem..what do you think about having someone round..its so strange...thankyou for the quiche recipe..xx
    Tony thankyou for breakfast but I had better leave the prunes..but had lots of custard..
    Lucy will be brilliant at beauty..good luck to her
    .and yes has long has she is happy..:)it will be nice for Kari to be able to have family around..but I bet she is cautious like I am..its a good idea to get some children back to school she is excited ..and the teacher will be checking them every day ..xx
    Joan I am pleased for Niamh ..she was doing so well at school..it was lovely seeing our other gd ..but so strange..but better than nothing ..love to all of you..xx
    Not done much today and only had water..lets see what tomorrow brings
    Love to everyone
    Xxxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options

Evening all

oops the jigsaws got me again, the weather has really no been very nice here for a good few days and I seem to have spent most of my time on them. We are all ok 👌🏽 I am going to have to finish here As we seem to have a washing machine problem argh more b****y problems. and we need to sort it out I will post again tomorrow.

Stay positive always👍xx
  • frogmorton
    Options

Oh dear me Carol! Not the washer now 

🙄

I hope you can solve it yourselves. I always check the filter etc but there's not much else you can do is there?

I been puzzling too while i's been wet and why not? but you can get carried away.

Kath you would be very proud of me! I took my turn at choir practice and read out a poem! I chose Pam Ayres' 'I wish I'd looked after me teeth' I did it in my best Cotswold accent (using Pam Castle's my late MIL's really).

I love the bubble poem! Your brain must have been in overdrive coming up with one so quickly. Bubbles are such good news for those who are on their own. I'm not sure Kari will do it either though even though she fits the criteria. I will ask her later what she thinks

🤔

That cake is lovely a rainbow cake!

The loo roll does have an appropriate name doesn't it?

😁

Each roll is wrapped in paper none of your plastic so the best we could find for the environment. Not perfect as it travels a way, but the best.

My Mum used to do Pitmans she was good at that sort of thing bless her.

Thank you for the quiche I love quiche. You do have to work a little harder don't you to do vegan food, but at least you know it's healthy.

Joan I think we all thought Bubbles was female until one day he sent me a PM and said help what shall I do I think everyone thinks I am a woman!! I said we'd all love him being a man and not to worry so he did a thread on chit chat to tell us all

😁

I think it was because he was an ex Matron and they are usually women.

Love to Sue please we miss her popping by on Fridays - although it is nice having you every day too

😘

Barbara I think you are still in a quandry about Niamh as she will be mixing with others. I think so far it should be pretty safe as the children are keeping 2m away from each other beautifully here bless them all. Having said that....is it worth the risk? At least when (if???) the weather is good you can see them all outside where it really is safe.

Lucy should do beauty on top of the hairdressing course she did. She's done a little course on eye lashes too not long ago I think she'll be really good at it.

Bad belly? Ah that's why you weren't at choir to hear me to my best Pam Ayres! Yes best dodge the prune tart for now ((())) I hope you feel better soon.

Today I have a Tesco order!!! Soooooo exiting!!

Little things eh

😁

breakfast....

Can't cook it I keep getting ERROR code 403???

Mods can you help??

• frogmorton
    edited 12. Jun 2020, 05:54
    Options

Then I got 'Vanilla you don't have permission to do this'?? MODS/ADMINS????

So I logged back out then back in and it let me post it (I copied and pasted it).

🤔

Let's see if I can post some breakfast now then....

Yay!

Toast for Barbara's dicky Tummy 🌈

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath Anita's done so well (((()))) how are you Kath (((())) you have been through a lot (((())) love to your Dad (((()))) and Chris (((()))

Barbara I'm sorry you have a bad tummy does it ache (((())) love to Mr B (((((()))) and your brother and his girlfriend. ((((())))

. Carol sorry about the trouble with the washing machine (((()))) I hope you can see more of your family now ((()))

Toni yes I remember Pam Ayres poem I wish I'd looked after my teeth (((()))) yes Lucy will be good doing that (((()))) love to Paul ((())) Charley and her friend ((()) Tia ((())) and Kari (((()))

love to.Bill (((())) Mig ((()) Chris (((()))) Yvonne(((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem ( another Bubbles Poem, this one by Squid the Russell Apr 2016, It makes me think of OUR Bubbles 💖 dear Aidan).

Bubbles

There are different kinds

All the same

All different

Different sizes and colors

They make up parts of life

Soap bubbles

Cleaning, scrubbing

Washing dirt, grit

And all the bad

Away

Reflecting you

Your surroundings

In different colors

Different views

Word bubbles

Floating up from the heart

Trying to escape

Only a few make it

The rest

Broken inside

Choking you

Restricting you

Making you regret

Not opening your mouth

To let them out

The best kind of bubbles

Bubbles of laughter

Bubbles of joy

Bouncing out of your mouth

Tickling you until you let them out

The fun bubbles

That make that joy

Drawing the wand

Blowing the joy

Into the bubbles

Until they are ready

To go

And spread joy of their own

Bubbles reflect

Joy and sadness

The two polar opposites

That compliment each other

Completely

You cannot have one

Without the other

Sometimes the bubbles of joy

Will pop

Explode in your face

But you can take out your wand

And start all over again

Toni, I AM proud of you, always have been always will be. I bet everybody was in stitches. 😅 I love your posh toaster. Vanilla you don't have permission to do this? What was that all about? sometimes the daftest messages pop up.

Carol, step away from the jigsaws. We need you to let us know how you and the GC, GGC are keeping. 💕

Barbara, a dicky tummy, put some Marmite on that toast, t might help. I'll look for somrthing suitable for your lunch.

Potatas Bravas

This classic Spanish tapas dish is soo delicious and easy too! Serve it with a green salad and it feels like a meal in itself. Even better, serve it with our white wine lentils with roasted cherry tomatoes :)

Ingredients: 

• 500-600g/3 cups floury potatoes (such as Maris Piper or King Edwards), peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
    • Olive oil for frying/roasting
    • 1 onion, finely diced
    • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
    • 1-2 fresh chillies, deseeded and finely diced 
    • 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
    • 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika 
    • ½ tsp salt 
    • ½ tsp sugar or syrup (eg agave or maple)
    • 1 tbsp red wine vinegar 
    • Handful of fresh parsley or chives for decoration

Quick aioli

• 200g/¾ cup vegan mayo
    • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
    • ¾ tbsp lemon juice
    • Pinch cayenne pepper
    • Pinch salt 

Method: 

1. Pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/390ºF/Gas Mark 6. OR instead of roasting the potatoes you can parboil them for 7 minutes, drain and then fry until crisp and golden (either way works well). 
    2. If roasting, place the potoatoes on a baking tray with a little oil and salt and pop in the oven for 40 minutes (or until crisp and golden), turning once.
    3. While the potatoes are cooking, fry the onion in a small amount of olive oil until soft and golden.
    4. Add the chilli and garlic and fry for a further minute. 
    5. Now stir through the tinned tomatoes, sugar, salt, smoked paprika. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the mixture is thicker and has reduced down. 
    6. Stir in the vinegar and then taste the sauce, adjusting the seasoning if necessary.  

Quick aioli

1. Stir all of the ingredients together and keep refridgerated until use. 

Assembly

1. Remove the potatoes from the oven, then plate up and layer with the tomato sauce and the aioli. Sprinkle with fresh parsley or chives. 

• barbara12
    Options
    Afternoon all.think we have enough rain for now..
    Still got a dickie tummy..
    .toni I had to laugh at the toast.. my oh always says burnt toast for tummy pain..we never have it any other way unless I make it hahaha
    Good on you for saying the poem at choir practice and in a Pam Ayres accent..or you Mils...I couldn't have done it..i do remember Aidans post on chitchat I think he was relieved to get it out there bless him.xx
    Joan it's not to painful ..just not right if you get the meaning..I am staying by the bathroom..
    I hope you have warmer weather than we do..love to all of you xx
    Carol I used to do jigsaw but I haven't got the eyes for them..do you do the online ones.
    I hope your washers is nothing serious we cant do without them..xx
    Kath another good poem and like you says bubbles will always remind us of Aidan...bless him..now has your box of food come today..I do hope so..
    Now I have had the potatas bravas at the tapas bar in our gc..now I can make my own thankyou..xx
    Right I better move and quickly...hahaha not funny really
    Love to all xxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Morning everyone! It's STILL raining! although it's set to be 23 degrees here today🤔I am a little upset Pom isn't well....

Kath that poem is rather Aidan even without it being about Bubbles! He loved cleaning - soap and bubbles and that last line about taking your wand....😓

I am glad you are proud of me

Everyone loved Pam Ayres didn't they? She was a lovely lady sweet and unassuming. Mind you looking back do you think 'Opportunity Knocks' was the start of all this reality telly?

I love Potatas bravas too the Hungarians do something not dissimilar I was brought up on paprika and garlic thank you 😘

Joan I hope you and Sue are well and the carers too no more nastiness in supermarkets? Lucy is perfect as a beautician I agree 😊

Barbara still has a sore belly I hope it has eased overnight ((())) We'd have burnt toast here too if i left it to Paul, but are you saying your son makes bad toast too?!🙄

I think Aidan thought he was conning us all like 'pretending' to be female if you know what i mean, but he absolutely wasn't was he? It was us who assumed a Matron had to be a woman! He used to bring the meds trolley along at night for the 'night owls'🤗

Barbara we have some larger pieced puzzles in the Church Porch for sale. You would be better with ones with clear colours on them. Do you do the online ones like Joan does still?

Not sure what we shall do today. Maybe go for a drive???

anyway first we must eat going to try an egg for Barbara's tummy but Kath loves them too:

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath did you get your box yesterday (((())) how is Chris (((()))) love to Anita (((()))) and your Dad (((())))

Barbara sorry about your tummy have you eat something that had gone past the date (((())) love to Mr B ((())) and your brother and his girlfriend (((())))

Toni I hope you have a nice ride today (((())))I'm sorry Pom's not well (((()))) love to Paul (((())) Charley ((())) and her friend (((())) Tia (((())))and Lucy (((()))

Sue and the carer's are well thank you (((()))

Love to Mig Bill (((())) Carol ((()))Chris (((()))) Yvonne (((())))

take care
    joan xx