Goods news on Elna

Options

Comments

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Good morning Elna

Glad you had a good day yesterday and hope today is even better for you.
    Here it is cloudy but quite pleasantly warm, alot better than the past few days.
    Take care and remember not to over do things
    Thinking of you
    Love Juliepf x
  • bertyboy
    bertyboy Member Posts: 1,860
    Options
    just had a googily at your necklace Elna very fetching , but if it works its worth it , mine is a bregg t-scope contraption , your out fit sounds fine to me i am in shorts x
    I know i am a lady ,all life is a journey xx MAY xx
  • mermaid
    mermaid Member Posts: 104
    Options
    Hi Elna

So glad day 5 was better, hope day 6 is even more so :smile:

Glad you survived the shower too and everything else!

I have my Miami J collar now for 'support and protection' i.e. travelling etc, so not all the time. Unfortunately my Cspine has decided to 'go' below the two fusions I had done in 1997 and 2005 (C1/2 and C3/4) respectively. Basically the RA and osteoporosis have gobbled up the vertebrae. But I am now 65 (surely not?!) and had these problems since age 26, so have done pretty well I think.
    They may have to operate again, but it is very risky because of the state of spine and osteoporosis, so first are going to try nerve blocks under CT scan guided fluoroscopically, in a month's time.

I can cope with the pain, but it's the instability that's the concern. They are monitoring me though and that's the main thing.

Thinking of you very much in these early days after surgery. You are doing brilliantly and I'm hoping tomorrow will bring the cooler temperatures we have been promised/threatened with. I got out of hospital the second time in 3 days like you. The surgery took 10 hours as the surgeon did a double back and front fixation jobby. Funnily enough the first time it took half that time and I was in for 8 days, which they said was very quick back then in the 90's! Soon it will be day surgery :roll:

Hope you have fun with Lola, but also some good rests in between and after.

Take very good care Elna,
    Love Lizx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    Options
    Hi Elna

just checking in to see how you are doing and glad to see hwo well you are doing.

I have to agree with Iris - you have been amazing.

I too google your neck brace and actually can imagine you in yours!!

Love and hugs

Toni xx

PS I am told this is the last of the very warm weather so at least you will be more comfortable.
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Hi Elna

Just catching up with your news here and hope today was a up day for you. What with all this groping in the shower going on :shock: no wonder you are tired!!

It has been a bit sticky lately. You have done so well in such a short time, I hope you are getting plenty of rest and that each day is a little easier for you. Good to see you posting when you feel you can.

Ange asked me to pass on her sincere hugs and best wishes too so I will leave double the dose. You are always so supportive to everyone so be nice to yourself please.
    love and hugs always ((( ))) ((( Ange )))
    Chris xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Elna,

Just dropping in a hug and a hope you get a good night and tomorrow will be a decent day. ((((( ))))) and a cuppa Cris xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hello my dear friends, I ‘ve popped out of the woodwork again. :roll: :wink::lol:

Dear Barbara and Iris, I will not hear any of that about resilience but if I do then there is a long list of people to be added and that most definitely includes you two. :smile: I am sorry to hear you have had rain, Iris, we had an extremely light rain shower this evening and I went and stood out in it, in my multi colourful outfit, complete with the neckbrace accessory. Ian thought I had flipped. :lol:

Dear Julie, the weather here was hot in the afternoon although there was a breeze. I sat out in the shade this afternoon for a while and that was pleasant. I shall be thinking of you even more tomorrow at your pre op assessment.

Dear May, I googled the bregg t-scope contraption, and it does look heavy. Is it? Shorts aye, no longer for me, my lovely, not at my age, even after two new knees! Good for you though, ideal clothing in this heatwave which I think may be tomorrow too and then that is the end of it. Phew!

Dear Liz, I shall be 61 at the end of this year so not far behind you at all. My, you have had a lot going on with your spine for many years. Poor you. Do you think things may not have deteriorated if your osteoporosis had been noticed earlier? I have a sneaky feeling that this op of mine will not deter further damage lower down raising its ugly head, in time, but am putting this thought at the back of my mind for the time being.

I have had similar injections by x-ray direction into my lower back for sciatica and since that day, 3 December 2009, have been pain-free (touch wood).I do hope they work as well for you. Goodness me, Liz, a 10 hour operation. It is good that you are being monitored and looked after. You deserve that. You are very brave and thank you so much for taking an interest in me and my problems, I am very grateful and touched.

I did have fun with Lola today, thank you. We three, plus dolly in pram walked to the surgery to pick up a script for me and on the same complex got the meds. Lucie mentioned how lucky I was to live so near to it and also have a chemist shop on site. This is the first time that I have been “outside” since the op other than the garden. We did not see many people, thank goodness, but the pharmacist gave me a look as did the lady at the surgery, they know me by site of course as I am there so often because none of my repeat scripts run out at the same time! :roll: I had a joke with them about the neckbrace. So today has gone well for me, all things considered.

Dear Toni, Chris and Cris, thank you for your good wishes, hugs and cuppas. Dear Ange, thank you for thinking of me and I hope you are enjoying your treat, you lucky girl. I am sure you are. Thank you Chris for passing on Ange’s good wishes. I do hope that you are not working too hard and are coping with everything. As you do not post too often these days it is especially lovely to hear from you.

I shall leave you all now, my bed calls and I hope you are all sleeping well and I shall be in touch again very soon. I also hope Tuesday is a good day for you all.

Night, night, bless you all,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Elna
    Great to see you doing so well.....hope you had a good nights sleep last night

Love
    Hileena
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear Liz

I think we did miss each other, both awake in the early hours tapping away :lol: Oh, that bracing sea air sounds just the tonic I need. I hope you are ok and life is treating you more gently now. Will you take the dogs to the shore again today - if so, please send a large bottle of sea air over to me again. :grin:

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear Hileena,

I did sleep well thank you once I got there, which was not until around 2.30 am :lol: The night before I had not slept too well, restless legs :roll: so thought if I went later then I would sleep better. Not very logical but it worked!

I am sorry to hear that your latest appointment was a waste of time, in a way. I suppose he is being thorough though, not wishing you to go through something that has risks if it is not entirely necessary.

Chin up, dear Hileena, you are certainly made of strong stuff. I am full of admiration.

Hugs
    Elna x

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Elna,

I'm so pleased to see you progressing really well.

If you're walking to the surgery with Lola, Lucie and dolly does this mean that walking is easier than it was before your op? Is this an improvement? Do you feel it's been successful or is it too soon to tell?

Sorry about all the questions, especially if you've already written about them and I missed it .............though I don't think I have. :???: Don't answer if you don't want I only pretend to be a member of the Gestapo!!! :shock:

The neck brace doesn't look too trendy but we can trim it up at Christmas for you if you like :wink:

Keep up the good work. :grin:

Love
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Aw, dear Linda, you do make me chortle :lol::lol: In December, I am going to put fairy lights entwined around the collar, in and out of the air vent holes the collar kindly provides :lol: Oh and some tinsel, of course. :lol: What colour would go best with blue and white I wonder? Red perhaps, to be patriotic? :wink:

Walking seems to be the same as before, Linda. I can walk but fairly slowly and with a three year old plus dolly in pram, we did walk slowly and had to actually ask Lola to giddy up a little. :grin: It is my left side that has been affected with the walking. I still have the pins and needles permanently in my hands, sometimes worse than others, but I was told the damage already done by the vertebrae pressing on the spinal column, may well not come back. Looking on the bright side it could improve slightly or I may be happily surprised by a good improvement. Any improvement would be gradual, so I have been told. The op only guarantees no further damage should ocur.

How's you? I see Enbrel may well be on the cards for you......

Love
    Elna x

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Eln
    Had to laugh at the Christmas decorations on your neck brace.......a bit like DD with her crutches.....at Christmas....me I just had hair bobbles on them the whole time :lol: We are a mad lot :lol::lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi Elna

Brilliant news that you went out for a little walk with lola and her dolls pram. And so funny you had to ask her to giddy up :lol:
    I do hope that your walking improves as time goes on. You are doing so well as it is still vey very early days.

I looked at the neck brace, Silver tinsel I think :wink: will go well with the lights and blue brace :grin:

Take care and a big Hug (((((()))))))
    Love Juliepf x
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Hi Elna..... you paint a lovely picture of being out with your lovely little Lola and her dolly. :grin: kids are just great aren't they? they accept whatever changes come about ... because they see the inner person and don't judge the outer!

...and forgive me... I did laugh at the fairy lights and tinsel garlands for your neck brace. :lol:
    it did make me wonder how long you'll have to wear it? (sorry :oops: you may already have mentioned.)

I hope that you do achieve the best possible outcome in terms of sensitivity having had this op..... but how very typical of you to be so stoic about it!

((((hugs)))) and healing

Iris xx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear Iris, before the op, I was told I would be wearing the collar for three months, but I am only thinking as far as the 6 weeks check atm, but already know there are fairy lights and tinsel galore in the loft should December come round and I still have to wear it, most of the time. I will not be going up into the loft though! :lol::wink: Not this year. Of course I forgive you having a chortle at my expense. :lol: I don't want you feeling left out, so you must wear some tinsel/lights around your new knee too. :smile: We may as well be glittery together. :wink:

Love and gentle hugs to you,

Elna x

• elnafinn
    Options
    hileena111 wrote:
    Hi Eln
    Had to laugh at the Christmas decorations on your neck brace.......a bit like DD with her crutches.....at Christmas....me I just had hair bobbles on them the whole time :lol: We are a mad lot :lol::lol: Love Hileena

:lol: We are a mad lot, Hileena, but I would not have it any other way, some fun and laughter is definately one of the best tonics I know. A little bit of madness never did anyone any harm either. :wink:

Hugs
    Elna x

• elnafinn
    Options
    julie47 wrote:
    Hi Elna

Brilliant news that you went out for a little walk with lola and her dolls pram. And so funny you had to ask her to giddy up :lol:
    I do hope that your walking improves as time goes on. You are doing so well as it is still vey very early days.I looked at the neck brace, Silver tinsel I think :wink: will go well with the lights and blue brace :grin:
    Take care and a big Hug (((((())))))) Love Juliepf x

Dear Julie, yes, you are right, silver tinsel it will be then. You will have to join me too, promise, when you have had your op. Ooooh, we shall be a glittery, sparkly forum, won't we?

Try not to worry about tomorrow's appointment, it will, it must go smoothly for you.

Hugs
    Elna x
    :smile:

• mp1952
    mp1952 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    Hello Elna

just to say glad to read that you are getting out and about with Lola. Your experience with this operation will be so helpful to other people on the forum.

marion x
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Elna,
    I am glad that you have managed to get out for a little while. I do hope that the pins and needles ease up a little for you soon, it’s not a nice feeling for you.
    The cooler weather is forecast so hopefully you will feel a little more comfortable then.
    Hey great news that your daughter has been converted to the Archers, definitely a select club. :grin:

Gentle hugs, and a extra piece of tinsel coming your way.
    I x
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    HI Elna

how lovely to hear that you made a trip out with Lola. I am sure that being out with her took your mind off any worries about venturing forth with the neck brace for the first time (I too googled it, and well, though well padded I couldn't help wondering just how 'hot under the collar' you got this weekend?! :wink: ) and I hope you'll continue to be able to expand your repertoire of walks.

personally I can imagine you with blue and silver tinsel entwined together - last year there was some lovely tinsel in our local shop which had tiny stars on it .... perfect for you!

sending hugs and loads of love

Wonky xxxx

PS - mr wonky had really bad restless legs at night, and the GP suggested he cut out caffeine drinks after 7pm. He now drinks fruit herbal teas in the evening. It's worked a treat. Just a thought, though if you're anything like me it's too much to contemplate!!
  • elnafinn
    Options
    mp1952 wrote:
    Hello Elna just to say glad to read that you are getting out and about with Lola. Your experience with this operation will be so helpful to other people on the forum. marion x

Dear Marion,

Thank you so much for calling into my thread. I really hope that not too many others on the forum will ever have to go forward with this operation but I am really wanting to help our lovely Julie47 who will be having a similar operation in the near future. We also have Mermaid (Liz) to help and support us along our way, because she has had two neck operations. I do hope that life is treating you gently.

Gentle hugs
    Elna x

• elnafinn
    Options
    ironic wrote:
    Hi Elna,
    I am glad that you have managed to get out for a little while. I do hope that the pins and needles ease up a little for you soon, it’s not a nice feeling for you.
    The cooler weather is forecast so hopefully you will feel a little more comfortable then.
    Hey great news that your daughter has been converted to the Archers, definitely a select club. :grin: Gentle hugs, and a extra piece of tinsel coming your way. I x

Dear Ironic

Yes, today was much better for me, as it was cooler. I shall be looking out for that extra piece of tinsel, thank you. I had a really lazy day today and did exactly what I wanted, which was not much at all. I did a little ironing, there were only 6 shirts and a couple of other bits and did it in two sessions. I have been on the pc a lot today and had three phonecalls, one of them well over an hour. I made a cheese pudding for our dinner (nice and quick) and cooked green beans to go with it, that had been picked from the allotment yesterday. As a reward I had a shower. Squeaky clean I am now. :lol: Seems to be working out at one shower every two days.

I hope you did not miss tonight's Archers but you can listen tomorrow at 2 pm if you did.

I hope your day was manageable.

Hugs
    Elna x

• elnafinn
    Options
    Wonkylegs wrote:
    HI Elna

how lovely to hear that you made a trip out with Lola. I am sure that being out with her took your mind off any worries about venturing forth with the neck brace for the first time (I too googled it, and well, though well padded I couldn't help wondering just how 'hot under the collar' you got this weekend?! :wink: ) and I hope you'll continue to be able to expand your repertoire of walks.

personally I can imagine you with blue and silver tinsel entwined together - last year there was some lovely tinsel in our local shop which had tiny stars on it .... perfect for you!

sending hugs and loads of love

Wonky xxxx

PS - mr wonky had really bad restless legs at night, and the GP suggested he cut out caffeine drinks after 7pm. He now drinks fruit herbal teas in the evening. It's worked a treat. Just a thought, though if you're anything like me it's too much to contemplate!!

Dear Wonky

It is great hearing from you especially as I know you have your own problems to be dealing with. Yes, it was nice to venture out with someone the first time and to have a mission that was only a short walk away. I am sure I shall get braver and perhaps the next little walk will be with Ian. I am bound to get some stares and people I know will want to find out just what I have been up to, seeing me with the collar on. Today’s weather has been bliss for me as it was cooler with no sun. :grin:

That is a great idea, silver and blue tinsel intertwined and with stars, even better. Now I do not usually mention the Christmas word for weeks and weeks yet, as I know you don’t either but this is a little different, we are only talking about decorating the collar, aren’t we? :wink:

Oh, Wonky, if only the gp’s suggestion would work for me as it has done, for Mr. Wonky. :smile: I have two cups of coffee a day, one in the morning and one, early afternoon, the rest of the time it is peppermint tea, or water.

You look after yourself, Mr. Wonky and Littlelegs and I do hope that today was gentle with you.

Sending you over love and hugs,

Elna x

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Elna, I am still astonished by how much you are achieving in such a short time. It is better now the weather is cooler I am sure that will help you to feel more comfortable with the collar etc. Please rest whenever you feel the need (and when you don't!) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben