Options

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Rita

l have my tatties chitting.

and my tomato, chilli, cucumbers, sweet peas and something else (FORGOTTEN :oops: ) going indoors on my windowsill.

So exiting isn't it???

Well done for your compost :D Mine is still in it's two comopsters...too cold for me to venture out for long yet :wink:

Love

Toni xxx
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    I am glad to see the thread back. I have not been in the garden myself hubby is clearing the slide and a few things his junk from the garden. I am in the planning stage getting seeds together compost new propagators ready in preparation.
    The royal colors will be in my garden not really that royalist but i love the colors of red white and blue. I an also going to try growing a white strawberry which tastes of pineapple my son does not believe it exists but i look forward to surprising him.keep up the gardening thread bye from joanne
    Joanne
  • purplesparkle
    purplesparkle Member Posts: 38
    Options
    Ooooooo I have only just seen this thread and I love it as I grow veg & fruit every yea-can't wait to see what everyone is growing :D
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Purple...welcome to you another Gardener!! :D

GREAT :D

Joanne good to see you back on and l woudl love to hear how you get on with your strawberries. They sound really different.

the first of my seeds is up and its a ......sweet pea!

Love

Toni xxx
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    I always grow sweetpea Toni, best of luck with yours.
    Colin, I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling the best, hope things improve soon. Your lightbox sounds like a great thing altogether. :)
    We planted some lillies in a large pot the other day. There are lots of signs of spring around.
    I've a few broad beans starting to poke through the compost. I have them in polystyrine cups to start them off and will plant out next month all being well. They need to be a decent size before I plant them in the allotment otherwise the S&S will eat them all.
  • suncatcher
    Options
    There is a hanging sweet pea its also very fragrant I fancy trying it for a change. Good luck tony with yours from joanne
    Joanne
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Ah yes...don't want them all chomped before they get a chance to grow rita

l adore sweetpeas! My Dad used to grow them for my Mum and l have followed the tradition.

In baskets Joanne? do they trail then?? Sounds very interesting!

Love

Toni xxx
  • suncatcher
    Options
    It is a new trailing variety in one of the mags that come through the door. joanne
    Joanne
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Imagine that by your front door as you go in and out - the smell :D Sounds definitely worth a try Joanne :)

Is your son going to get involved in the garden with you this year? I think my youngest still might.

Love

Toni xxx
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Despite the rotten weather I had a day off today and managed to get into the garden for a little while. I've planted out some more sweetpea which I'd sown in the autumn and a new shrub Deutzia Scabra which I bought bare rooted today. It was showing new life so I decided to get it into the ground. Only a little while but it did my heart good. Oh and I've been sowing seeds too. :P
  • suncatcher
    Options
    Yes wonderful smell. It would be quite a welcome.
    Joanne
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Of course you can eat flowers. I used to eat daisies when I was little, I preferred them to clover. You can also put nasturtium petals on food as decoration, eat lavender flowers (they're great in bread - I said IN BREAD), courgette flowers are esculent too, there must be other examples.

I am a total gardening numpty but for trailing sweet peas couldn't you just plant them in a basket, hang it up, then let them droop over the sides? Is there a law that they can only be grown vertically? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • suncatcher
    Options
    I have never tried em but nasturtiums :) are supposed to be nice in a salad.
    Joanne
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I would love to grow jasmine. Is it hardy enough to grow outside?Has anyone any tips?

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Elizabeth

l have a jasmine, but it flowers really early before l want to be out!! Lovely white/yellow flowers and climbs over some trellis.

Love

Toni xxx
  • tkachev
    Options
    How lovely Toni.I just adore the smell of jasmine. Does it cope with frost? Is it a climber?If you don't mind answering these questions(I know you are busy).whoops can see it climbs over trellis so is a climber. I'm worrid cos they see very delicate.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    Options
    It smells lovely yes Elizabeth and is hardy enough.....the flowers are delicate and it climbs up the trellies very very well...

Love

Toni xxx
  • tkachev
    Options
    Another jasmine question. Is it best planted in shade or full sun (Suppose I should google all these questions but its nice to hear first hand).

E x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Elizabeth mine is in partial shade to be honest....but they do prefer full sun l'm sure.

There are loads to choose from you'll have to have a look and choose - they grow about 9/10ft tall!!

Love

Toni xxx
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello gardening peeps!

I'm really pleased cos I have been out this afternoon and bought my veg seeds (assorted lettuce, radish, beetroot, spring onions, cucumbers and some others I can't remember at the mo :roll: ).

This is the first time I have been able to go out properly for a couple of weeks and I thought I was going to have to ask wonderful hubby to go out and buy them for me - oh but the pleasure of browsing the seed racks and choosing them myself :D And at the checkout, I found a lovely gardening magazine with some free beetroot seeds of the sort I was buying - and the seeds were nearly as much as the mag. So I put the beetroot seeds back and bought the mag with the free seeds instead :D Given that my few packets of seeds and the magazine came to more than £30 :shock: it was probably a good job I ran out of steam at that point, else who know what else I might have bought :lol:

Hope you have all had a beautiful spring day like we have had here today.

Tillyxxx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Oh Tilly!!

that sounds fabulous!!

What a bargain with free seeds. Tilly my tomatoes are up and peeping :)

l got trapped in the cafe at the swimming pool (younest swimming) yesterday so today l will be outside as much as humanly possible :D Well alright then l only want to tidy ONE bed :wink:

l managaged to read my gardeners world while l was there though :D

Take your time planting your seeds and enjoy yourself.

Love and Happy hugs c010.gif

Toni xx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Today my oh put some primroses in the garage window boxes and primulas

The crocus and tete a tetes are now blooming quite well, the garden at last has now a bit of colour.

He also planted in a tub some cornflower seeds that was part of a lovely birthday card. I do hope they grow so that I can send my friend a photo of them.

Tilly I am pleased that you managed to get out and buy all those lovely seeds, it must be lovely to grow all your own salad. we just don't have the space.

Toni I hope you managed to get out into your garden today. It was lovely here this morning but at lunch time it turned dull.

Love juliepf x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I have a feeling those seeds will flower for you Julie....but then you must PAINT them :wink:

I did get out and had a lovely time...paying for it today though :roll:

it was worth it - it's raining now too :wink:

LOve

Toni xx
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Thanks Toni and Julie.

Well, I planted my geraniums, tobacco plants and sweet pea seeds (indoors) on Sunday and keep going to check to see whether they are growing yet cos I can't wait. And hopefully this afternoon I am going to plant some lettuce and spring onions in the greenhouse so that they are ready to plant out when the weather improves.

Toni - really glad you managed to get out and do some gardening and hope the payback was worth it!

Julie - have you ever tried growing salad leaves in pots, either in the garden or on the windowsill? You don't need much space and even if you can only grow a few leaves it is so lovely to eat something you have grown yourself.

Right, better have lunch before I go out else I will get too engrossed and will forget :lol:

Tillyxxx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Tilly, I have never grown anything that I can eat :oops: grown plenty for little beasties though :lol: (flowers)

did see lots of seeds in lidl and next time i am there i will look for some salad leaves and I will have a go :D

Juliepf x