Calling all AC Gardeners!

Options

Comments

• waddle
    waddle Member Posts: 116
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    its so so cold here, i have a few border plants in and some small geranium plants outside im hoping they will survive.

my apple tree has started to get leaves and flowers will this weather kill them off i wonder, does anyone know. its a fairly young tree very narrow in width.

i hope everyones hard work so far is not dammaged by this crazy weather.
    Waddle :)
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    i will be out in my garden checking to see what damage this cold spell has caused. all my plants were sprouting new growth which is lovely to see but im hoping the cold dont kill it off.

can anyone tell me how to grow carrots, and can i grow them in a tub. is it to late to start etc etc please
  • waddle
    Options
    id be interested to know about the carrots also as im new to gardening and would love to have a go at growing some veg. what is the easiest to start off with?
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Oooo, a gardening thread. Hello fellow gardeners.

I love my garden. Not been able to do very much so far this year. I have put half a dozen rocks, which my son brought me, around the pond, sown some sunflowers which are growing well, sweetpeas, salvias, lettuce and tomatoes. Managed to split 2 pots of cannas today.

I grow carrots in big foldable plastic pots last year. Just sowed the seeds direct. I put too many in so had quite a few tiny ones. There are still some left which have grown to a reasonable size. Make sure there are no stones to block their growth or they will be funny shapes.
    Christine
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I'm Going to buy a star jasmine climberToni.

E :D
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • waddle
    Options
    that sound lovely. i bet it has a lovely sent to it
  • tkachev
    Options
    Jasmines do smell beautiful Waddle. One of my favourite scents.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    I just wondering through the gate from my wild corner.... its got blossom on all the Hawthorne and the grass is really greening up for the Deer and his family.

Got the bench too if any one needs a quiet corner.

Anyway wondered out to leave Rita and Tilly a ((((( ))))) and a hope things are being kind to you both.

Right back to my bench and soon the flutter-bys will be about and the foxgloves... bit like Toni's Dandelions them..... :wink:

Tilly tea and CDM in the owl box as ever. Cris xx

sorry the eyes are really bad tonight......
  • tkachev
    Options
    I have a few bluebells growing. This year they are only going to be around for a short period.

I love foxgloves Cris.

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Thanks for the hugs Cris, very welcome as I've had the most awful flare, I'm coming out the other side now 'tho. :)
    I've not been able to do any gardening but my Daughter came to stay and she's planted out my Broad Beans, Beetroot and dug out some remnants of potatoes from last year that I'd somehow missed and had started to sprout, right in the middle of the Parsnip and Carrot bed. :roll: I think I'll have to re sow.
    I've been potting on seedlings and the Peppers as well. They've made terrific growth in the multipurpose and perlite mix and are now getting flowers. :)
    Happy gardening everyone.
  • tkachev
    Options
    The pear , plum and apple trees are covered in blossom but I did notice the recent cold wind took a lot away so I am also hoping there is no damage.

Bluebells sprouting nicely and some climbing roses starting new growth.

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    My wisteria is coming out. :D DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • applerose
    Options
    My fruit trees are flowering, chillies and tomatoes are popping up, sweet peas are stretching for the sun and Mum's rose (which was given to me by her sisters when she dies last year) is covered in small leaves. Still got a lot of seeds to sew but not up to it at the moment.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    I have a few bluebells growing. This year they are only going to be around for a short period.

I love foxgloves Cris.

Hi Elizabeth

l bought some bluebells last year and planted them under the trees.....the leaves are up and l am so exited :D Was really hard to get some 'genuine' English ones though.

Back from my hols so lots to do when l get a minute.....amongst washing and ironing :wink: l see some big fat dandelions waiting to be dug up before they seed :shock:

Love

Toni xxx
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    my little apple tree has got lots of flowers on it, it looks pretty, my rose bushes have sprung back to life, so hoping they do well this year, only planted them last year. none of me bulbs have appeared yet, or me sweetpea which i planted a few weeks ago. is it to late to plant some sun flowers in pots ? can anyone tell me please.

looks like rain for most of the week here so wont be out in the garden much.
  • tkachev
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    tkachev wrote:

I love foxgloves Cris.

Hi Elizabeth

l bought some bluebells last year and planted them under the trees.....the leaves are up and l am so exited :D Was really hard to get some 'genuine' English ones though.

Back from my hols so lots to do when l get a minute.....amongst washing and ironing :wink: l see some big fat dandelions waiting to be dug up before they seed :shock:

Love

Toni xxx

Not sure if ours are English or spanish.

loads of dandelions too!

I wondered where you had been!!!! Hope you had a lovely time.

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Elizabeth l had a terrible time my Lucy was poorly and we ended up in hospital in Colombo :shock:

Those dandelions are the bane of my life they are :lol:

Not too late at all to plant some sunflowers at all Coco and l hope your sweet-peas surprise you yet :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • applerose
    Options
    I planted sunflowers very late last year but they still grew. Not as tall as they should have been though. managed to cut the grass in the front and back gardens and pull up a few weeds and grass from the borders. The garden looks much better after it's haircut.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Well done you Applerose

you can nip over here and do mine now??

c010.gif

Toni xxx
  • applerose
    Options
    Yesterday I repotted tomatoes, courgettes and cucumbers into bigger pots. Sorry Toni, too tired now to come and do your garden. I leave my dandelions as long as possible. I think they are lovely bright summery flowers. Fingers crossed for even a short spell of decent weather tomorrow. I want to get my plastic greenhouse up and get all the seedings out of my front porch.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi applerose

Well l can't do it anyway - it's raining :lol:

Well -done for all that re-potting.

My bluebells are up and the good news is they really ARE english ones :D

Love

Toni xxx
  • tkachev
    Options
    This rain has boosted the bluebells. They are beautiful and some have even snuck into the front garden.

We also have some beautiful tulips in pots. They are blooming beautifully.

Shame about the holiday Toni !!!!! What a pity. :cry:

E x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I have no tulips at all Elizabeth.

BUT I have been spotting them (enviously :oops: ), in other people's gardens - red l want and will ahve to plant this year.

My Bluebells have yet to 'open'.

Lucy is ok now hope you and kids are all well.

Re-potted some houseplants yesterday....too wet to venture out :lol:

Love
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    I have no tulips at all Elizabeth.

BUT I have been spotting them (enviously :oops: ), in other people's gardens - red l want and will ahve to plant this year.

My Bluebells have yet to 'open'.

Lucy is ok now hope you and kids are all well.

Re-potted some houseplants yesterday....too wet to venture out :lol:

Love
    I hope you will enjoy Bleak house library new garden it was opened officially by the mayor today. I hope i get better weather for the awareness week.
    Joanne
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Had 4 small wins on lottery over the last few months so used the £25 to buy plants for my hanging baskets and pots.
    Can't do so much gardening as I used to (can't believe that only 2 years ago I was digging brambles out of an allotment :shock: ).
    I managed to get my five baskets made up today with Pansies, Lobelia, Buzy Lizzies, Bidens, Nemesia and Begonias. I also did my Dad's old tatie basket which I fill every year.
    The next job will be the many pots and containers in my little garden.
    Then the small patch of flower garden under my front window.
    I was pleased with my efforts today, it took extra pills, and I paid for it later, but I did it :D