Calling all AC Gardeners!

Options

Comments

• tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sadly the bluebells are fading now but what a show they put on this year. Hoping to get some cherries from our tree this year.

E :D
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Oh well, 'the best laid plans of mice and men' :D
    It's been raining on and off all day today. Not that I would have been able to do anything anyway :oops: - too much done yesterday, my upper back and ribs are sooo sore :(
    I have Cala Lillies coming out just under the front window and a lovely display of Wallflowers (one of my favourite scented flowers). Everything is growing fast now in the raised bed in the back garden, can't wait for the climbing Roses and Clematis to come into flower :).
  • tkachev
    Options
    What climbing roses do you have? I have a few, don't know their names, the white ones are my faves but I always look forward to them blooming as they make a beautiful sight.I have honeysuckle with mine.

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • PollySid
    Options
    I have the climbing roses and Clematis growing up the back fence - 2 to each panel.

Iceberg (white), Compassion (pink), Dans du Feu (red), Antique Rose (pink cluster), Claude Monet (pink and cream), London Bridge (peach), and Golden Shower (yellow) plus a lilac one that I haven't got a name for.

I don't know all the names of my garden plants, it's just that I wrote down the names of my roses when I put them in a couple of years ago.
  • tkachev
    Options
    Iceberg is lovely! i was hoping you'd have that climbing rose.

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • PollySid
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    Iceberg is lovely! i was hoping you'd have that climbing rose.

Mine isn't doing too well though. I got it because my Dad had one and it was loaded with flowers every year. This is the 3rd year of mine, it hasn't thickened out and the last couple of years the flowers were very disappointing. If it doesn't improve this year it will have to come out and I will replace it. Probably just a bad plant, most of the others are doing ok.
    Alan got a Wisteria from the nursery a couple of weeks ago that I was very unsure about, but it is growing really well and we've even had 3-4 flowers on it already. I'm pleased it is doing ok because it was quite expensive.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Love wisteria Polly :D

Put a blue moon in at the weekend in memory of my Mum

Love

toni xx
  • PollySid
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:

Put a blue moon in at the weekend in memory of my Mum

That's it :) That's what my lilac one is called.

Bought some more plants today from the boot sale, I can't resist, I love flowers, the brighter coloured the better :D .
    I might even go to the garden centre this afternoon as I want some Cosmos and Violas.
    At least with a small garden I can fill it with colour without it costing me the earth.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Oh good Polly glad it was a blue moon!

I have some cosmos ready to go out we grew from seed :D

The dandelion seeds are blowing all over the place out there :x grrr!!! They will land on MY grass :x

:lol:

Love

Toni xxx
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I've got hundreds of dandelions, daisies and buttercups in my grass but I like them. Usually pick the heads off the dandelions just before they seed though. The garden is so soggy, I can't even walk on it so the grass is nearly a foot high. the greenhouse is almost bursting with seedlings but I haven't been able to get out to plant anything. Weather forecast seems a bit better for the weekend so fingers crossed.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Ooh lovely Applerose seedlings everywhere!!

see you out there :wink:

My peas and runner beans are desperate to get out there!!

So muct brave the elements probably tomorrow :D

Love

Toni xx
  • applerose
    Options
    I've got sweet peas growing but haven't got peas and beans sewn yet. I did notice a few strawberries starting to appear. Mmmmmm. Good luck with your planting tomorrow Toni.
    Christine
  • applerose
    Options
    Well done Delboy. I've planted or repotted quite a few trays of plugged plants my son left me last week. Mostly begonias but a few fuschias, snapdragons and campanulas. Took me most of the day on and off. Kept hoping it would rain so I could stop but I'm glad it's done. Can hardly keep my eyes open now.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Snapdragons :D Eeeeh childhood memories of snapdragons :)

Myself and my big sis making the 'doggies' woof woof!! :oops:

I have them too believe it or not still here from last year :D

I got the peas and beans out last night in the end because daisycat wanted me to come outside with her. Looking GOOD Del :wink:

applerose you can open your eyes and peek at the gorgeous array of plants as a reward for all your hard work :Dc010.gif

Love

Toni xx
  • applerose
    Options
    I've always loved gardening but it is a bit of a struggle these days so yes, it will be lovely to see it all in flower later Toni. Still worth it.
    Christine
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    i have to admit to having fallen way behind with the plants this year, i dont even have any tommato plants, best buy some ready started ones and get going before its winter. my climbing roses have shot up and are about to put out there first flowers, some of my bulbs have shuved there heads up so will await the results, cant remember what i planted :oops: :lol::lol: happy gardening all, enjoy this weather.
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    julie47 wrote:
    Can any one tell me why and how to stop little minute flys appearing in my potted plants.

My oh has repotted, I have tried fly killer (hoping it didn't hurt the plant roots) only to find them re-appearing weeks later.

On a nice note....My bulbs are flowering too, a few crocus and tete a tetes so far :D

Tilly thankyou for starting this thread again

Love Juliepf x

spray some soapy water on them see how that goes .
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Having brown fingers i am pleased to say that i have 2 little oranges on my tree , :D
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    i grew mine outside last year and was surprised at how well they did, had some lovely toms off them, good luck with them
  • PollySid
    Options
    I've got two yellow climbing Roses in bloom and 3 lilac Clematis so far.
    Can't wait for all the other coloured Roses and Clematis to come out.
    I have been adding to my pots and containers a little bit at a time over the last week. I have to wait for Alan to lift the heavier ones onto the table so it can be slow going, but we're getting there.

Good job I've only got a small raised bed about 24'x4'. I never would cope with much more. The back garden altogether is only about 24' square, it nearly put me off buying this bungalow but I'm glad we didn't go for a bigger garden now.

I put a few seeds in some of the pots today. Sweet Peas in the pots near the back fence, I'm hoping they grow and intermingle with the Roses and Clematis. Then I put some Cornflower seeds in a couple of tall pots with Sweet Pea plants behind them and positioned them near the back fence too. Then some other tall seeds, they look a bit like multi coloured Delphiniums but they are annuals, can't remember what they are called. :?
    :?: remembered - Larkspur :lol:
    I am really going to enjoy sitting out there this Summer.
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Hi can anyone suggest something training not ivy that will look good in my chimney pot i have brought. thank you from joanne :D
    Joanne
  • applerose
    Options
    How about clematis, climbing roses, honeysuckle, wisteria.

A few people have said they've grown their tomatoes outside and they've done well. I'm going to try it this year but have started them off in the greenhouse.
    Christine
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    applerose wrote:
    How about clematis, climbing roses, honeysuckle, wisteria.

A few people have said they've grown their tomatoes outside and they've done well. I'm going to try it this year but have started them off in the greenhouse.

I have started mine in the green house but they look disheveled. I had to wait till very late September last year before i got any tomatoes last year they did well upside down.
    The chimmney pot is tall and i need the trailing down it also a lovely plant for the top. thankyou joanne :D
    Joanne
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Spent a good part of this week setting up my irrigation system Del. It worked well last year except l tried using non-standard tubing so had a few leeks :oops:

It is solar powered and the water is from the largest water butt :D

Good luck with the toms.

Julie
    those wee flies. I reckon they are fungus gnats (you can google them) l had them last year. Keep any plants with them away from the others :shock: and maybe you could be brave and let the soil dry out?? The gnats die off then and hopefully ( :? ) the plant wont. If not you could always re-pot them in fresh soil???

Suncatcher

If your son isn't scared of bees what about a honeysuckle???

LOve

Toni xx
  • tkachev
    Options
    Joanne, I have a star jasmine climber. I'm not sure if it'll survive my gardening skills but at the moment it is looking lovely.

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein