Calling all AC Gardeners!

Options
12345679»

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    We picked a few green beans from the allotment on Saturday and they were yummy ;):)

Strawberries are ok too. :)

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Elna the strawberries are lovely this year. We have some beauties.

Elizabeth x
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Hi Folks

I was thinking of getting a cherry tree .but my garden is decked as i am not good at gardening and lazy :oops: so do you think if a got a large pot that would be ok :?:
    My lemmon and orange trees are doing great .Previous ones have died on me :( .
    Also i have some lillies they are supposed to be bright orange and are very pale this year any thoughts why that might be.

karen xx
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Some Cherry trees can have problems with aphids and most can get honey fungus and when they do that's it for the tree, we have two big buggers in the back garden there really old and stand over 25 feet tall, they produce loads of cherries but the birds pig them all, we have another one by the back door and trained up against the house but I'm thinking of getting shot of it as it just attracts black aphids so badly it's pointless, I've tried all way to get shot of them but each year they hit it so hard there's hardly any fruit left sooner or later it will either die or get pulled out by me. Have you thought about getting a peer tree instead?.
  • tkachev
    Options
    We have been growing a cherry tree for the past 6 years. It has really grown well and is a pleasure to look at. We even get some cherries left for us (fox and birds get first dibs).

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • fowls48
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    Some Cherry trees can have problems with aphids and most can get honey fungus and when they do that's it for the tree, we have two big buggers in the back garden there really old and stand over 25 feet tall, they produce loads of cherries but the birds pig them all, we have another one by the back door and trained up against the house but I'm thinking of getting shot of it as it just attracts black aphids so badly it's pointless, I've tried all way to get shot of them but each year they hit it so hard there's hardly any fruit left sooner or later it will either die or get pulled out by me. Have you thought about getting a peer tree instead?.
    Hi Mel

Thanks for that info , i think i will go with you on that as i have brown fingers and would be wasting me money .I shall think about a pear tree .Thanks
  • fowls48
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    We have been growing a cherry tree for the past 6 years. It has really grown well and is a pleasure to look at. We even get some cherries left for us (fox and birds get first dibs).

Elizabeth
    ooh sneaky beggers .
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    tkachev wrote:
    Elna the strawberries are lovely this year. We have some beauties.

Elizabeth x

:lol: Elizabeth, after all this rain, I am not expecting the strawbs to be anything like as delicious as they were, more than likely soggy by now :(

Will write soon, promise, it is pretty manic at home, in a good way ;):)

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Not managing to get in to the garden much at the moment. Last Thursday, we had so much rain, both my front and back gardens were flooded with about 3 inches of water. It's gone now but the garden is still a bit gloopy. Due to the clay soil, it takes ages to sink away. I had to rescue all my pots and bring some of them in to the porch for a while. Doesn't seem to have done any damage though and I found a big frog and 2 babies in the greenhouse and another big frog swimming on the patio. :lol:
    Christine
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    Options
    I had a family of frogs living in my shed - scared the living daylights out of me when I opened the door.
    They seem to have moved out now, I've not seen them lately.

My little garden is looking very pretty and full of plants and flowers.

It is easy maintenance as it has a membrane with gravel on top (no weeding).
    I have planted flowers and bushes that come every year and they are really growing well and filling out the spaces.

The only big mistake I have made is a plant that is in the front of the bed that has grown too big.
    It has greyish furry leaves with little mauve flowers on the spikes and it is now about 3ft wide and tall. The plants behind it are hidden.
    I will try moving it after it has finisehd flowering, I have just the spot for it.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    PollySid wrote:
    I had a family of frogs living in my shed - scared the living daylights out of me when I opened the door.
    They seem to have moved out now, I've not seen them lately.

My little garden is looking very pretty and full of plants and flowers.

. The plants behind it are hidden.
    I will try moving it after it has finisehd flowering, I have just the spot for it.

Is it one you can prune Polly??

Your garden sounds lovely :)

Applerose l am so sorry about the bog out there....have you considered growing rice?

Love

Toni xxx
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Hey Tony you cant prune frogs.
    Anyway my garden needs the grass cutting but to wet at the moment, other than that its all coming starting to come into flower and looks beautiful. Well done Mrs C but i did suppervise
    Colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • PollySid
    Options
    I think it is called a Verbascum.
    I got it a couple of years ago as a 'poorly plant' from our local garden centre. It has grown enormous this year.
    I cut it right down last Winter. I will do it again this year then try moving it in the Spring.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan Polly - especially as you have located the exact right spot :)

Well done Mrs Colinone :D Well done to the supervisor too :roll:

Toni xxx
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    The garden has dried a bit but it keeps showering and there is a lot more rain forecast for the next few days and the weekend. Toni, I think growing rice sounds like a good idea. Maybe I could set up a business growing it and selling rice pudding at the gate. :lol:

Polly, I've done that a few times, planted something then it's grown too big and had to be moved. Hope it moves ok for you when the time comes.

Colin, sounds like you did a good job of supervising. Can you really not prune frogs? I'm worried mine are getting too big. :D
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    Options
    :lol:

We get baby frog rain here applerose every year (about now actually)....they are so sweet.

Avoid pruning them for definite - also quite hard to trasnplant!!

Yes please to the rice pud :wink:

We had a good day today I managed some dead-heading and one of the girls mowed the lawn for me

Love

Toni xx
  • PollySid
    Options
    Been struggling with my outdoor baskets this year. All of this rain and wind seems to have taken it's toll. I have had to pull out two or three Petunias/Pansies that have rotted.
    There are drain holes in the baskets but I have gone round sticking a screwdriver in the bottom of them to give more drainage.
    I fed them yesterday so hopefully they will pick up now.
    Tried to dead head the purple Lupin yesterday and managed to cut off the whole spike of flowers. :oops:
    They look pretty in a vase with some pink and white Carnations and mauve Everlasting Stocks.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Polly

I deadheaded too and have a rose indoors in a vase just like you :oops: My baskets do seem to have been ok, but they are not yours usual plants.....hope yours feel better now

Still raining here today so can't do much - managed to repot the chilli and also the melon (youngest's).

I saw one of the wee baby frogs yesterday!! So sweet - the eldest popped him the safe side of the drive :)

Love

Toni xx
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    The garden is looking pretty my flowers are all opening. I have creasalted a trellis in between loads of rainy times not sure it has had time to really dry.
    It is in my sons mini garden where he is growing lettuce, tomato and strawberries along with a few flowers. I just long for more sun so we can be out there more.
    I have put some plants in up the library. I don't do much there as i am getting busy else where.
    My back by the way is better but my joints thanks to the damp are painful.
    I have read up on the posts thank you for responding about my back it took over a week to get better i did use heat treatment patches suggested by Toni. My friend will give me a massage now i am better. I had asked her as she is trained in reflexoagy Indian head massage when my back played up but she said she was not allowed to give me a massage while i was so tender.
    well im going to make breakfast yes a very late start today i know. see you later joanne x
    Joanne
  • tkachev
    Options
    Been told dry straw might be the answer to slugs and snails eating all our lovely plants.

Sadly my daughters sunflower was eaten. It was doing so well and about to flower.

We have 3 beautiful pink roses blooming on my climber.
    E x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Oh Elizabeth!! Your poor daughter those slugs!! This has been a really sluggy year hasn't it?

Lovely about the roses though....do they have a nice fragrance?

Joanne I am so glad your back is so much better and really hope that the massage is lovely. Your friend is very very sensible not to do one when you are in agony.

I can picture the library garden :wink:

Love

Toni xxx
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Oh Elizabeth!! Your poor daughter those slugs!! This has been a really sluggy year hasn't it?

Lovely about the roses though....do they have a nice fragrance?

Joanne I am so glad your back is so much better and really hope that the massage is lovely. Your friend is very very sensible not to do one when you are in agony.

I can picture the library garden :wink:

Love

Toni xxx
    You will have to come and see it now the flowers are out. joanne
    Joanne
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Good Morning Fellow Gardeners.

I hope most of us are enjoying the warm weather??

I have been busy this week - some weeding and replanting of veggies which got eaten by slugs I suspect :roll: Need more nematodes!!!

We also had an infestation of sawfly on one of the rose bushes, so far we picked them off (One of the kids helped me) and wanged 'em in the scrub land. Got some environmentally safe stuff for the longer term.

Apples are looking good too :D

Anyone else done anything interesting?

Love

Toni xxx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Good Morning everyone

Fellow Gardeners :D

reading Joan's thread about the weather made me think.....

How have you all got on this year?

I have had an atrocious year veggie-wise, the roses got sawfly, the sweetpeas greenfly :roll: The slugs ate ALL salad leaves and they also ate my peas and beans :shock:

Potatoes did ok though :wink:

As did tomatoes - though the cucumbers didn't produce a single flower :?

Ah well - better luck next year :wink:

Love

Toni xx