Options

Comments

• julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thank you Toni and fowls48

I will look into both of those suggestions :wink::D

Suncatcher, I too was going to suggest a clematis or a HoneysuckleI like to see trailing Lobelia coming out of chimney pots :-)

My sweet peas are getting quite tall now :-) my clematis is well on its way, no flowers yet but it is really thickening up.
    And a dear friend bought me some cornflour seeds and I can now see little buds appearing, I am so pleased and can't wait for the flowers to come out. :D

Toni your irrigation system sounds great, and will make it so much easier for you :D

Happy gardening everyone
    Love Julie PF XX
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Aha!

Those cornflowers appearing!!! Great news :)

I am hoping once the irrigation starts life will be far easier! :)

Been outside a bit today, but back and feet saying sit down TONI!!!

Love

Toni xxx
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Thank will have a look around got good ideas here. :D

We went out to enjoy the weather at the library in the new garden. The book group is reading Silas marner.
    Our usual room was taken over by childminders and kids because of the ants. We were given the ant infested room. We made tea left that in the room and went outside. I was sat squashed next to a very large man. He luckily complained of back ache and asked if he could bring a chair out. I piped up i wanted one so did a few others. we all got settled until our break time when people started moaning about the sun. We finished the group back inside with the ants. : :D
    The councils coming in tonight to deal with the ants. joanne
    Joanne
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    I now have 3 oranges on my tree and 1 lemmon on the other .Not bad for brown fingers
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Today I have harvested my first fully grown "little gem" lettuce so I am a happy Tilly :D we have been eating "cut and come again" leaves for a couple of weeks now but this was a proper, grown up lettuce, and I am almost too proud of it to eat it (slug nibbles notwithstanding) :roll: Also, quite by accident, I have learned a valuable lesson - if you plant seeds too closely and don't thin them out, they don't grow. Obvious I know but I had 2 pots of loose leaf lettuce leaves and, as usual, was too enthusiastic when I sowed the seeds. So I thinned out one pot, putting the thinnings into another and the thinned out ones are about 3 times the size of the others! So from now on I will believe what it says on the seed packets about sowing/thinning distances!

Tillyxxx
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    del I would say that your chilies are doing really well :D (but then again I've never grown them) :roll:

fowls48 I bet it's lovely seeing oranges and lemons in your garden :D

Tilly I love little gem lettuce, congratulations on your first harvest :D

I have seen those living lettuce but didn't know whether or not they did keep coming back. Now after reading your post I think I will try it.

OH planted some petunias in long window boxes and the Blackbirds have been eating them. There was dirt all over the patio and then I caught them On Camera :o:lol: we have now put some plastic mesh to deter them :lol:
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Wow!!

Everyone has been so busy!

Del my chilis are only about 5" so l think yours are doing just fine.

Has anyone had tomato flowers setting yet??? Oranges and lemons Karen! Well done :shock:

I have some come again out there too Julie - go for it they are lovely and so convenient. Tilly well doen on the lettuce AND the lesson learned :oops: Bet you are like me dont like to hurt them :roll:

Joanne l can picture you in the garden!!! Which bit were you sat in??

Love to all

toni xxx

who really ought to get nematoding.....the latest lot are here and in the fridge YUM :D
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Well done everyone on your harvests. My chillis and tomatoes are all about 5 or 6 inches tall. I have gooseberries and strawberries. Still too small to pick. Petunias are coming on well. Glad it rained today. Don't think I could have managed watering the whole garden. Just about managed the greenhouse.
    Christine
  • frogmorton
    Options
    applerose l was glad of rain too!

My water butts were emptying really fsat :shock:

Your harvest sounds goo too - well done :D

Love

Toni xxx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Lovely Del!

Flowers blooming always gives me that heart-swelling feeling :D

Let me know when you can see a wee tomato forming eh?

Does anyone know who is eating my runner beans???? :x Sfaley surrounded by plastic pop bottle so not mouses :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Del

I can't see any flutterbys :( I've been looking :(

Oddly enough the peas (sharing the same bed) are fine :?

ah well we shall see.

Love

Toni xx
  • coco67
    coco67 Member Posts: 2,374
    Options
    my apple tree has one apple just starting to apear, the roses have gone mad and all my flowers are thriving, both my weeping willows have a mass of green leaves on this year and looking good,

need a little green house thingy, do any of you have the ones you can buy with a couple of shelves and a plastic cover (there not very big)? are they any good
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi co-co.

I bought one for my youngest as she wanted to grow stuff too, but it hasn't lasted :(

Hers was tallish and had three shelves in it.

APPLES!!! Well done you :D

Love

Toni xxx
  • coco67
    Options
    hi toni,

thank you for letting me know, i liked the idea of them but dont want to waste me money, the three shelf one and the two shelf ones were the ones i was looking at, im wondering if it may be worth me building a wooden frame and making my own,

im keeping my fingers crossed for more apples to appear, i only got the tree last year and its in a huge pot but seems to be thriving at the moment.

xx
  • applerose
    Options
    I bought one of those greenhouses. I found it not too bad. It's not stable in the wind though so would be better in a sheltered spot. I bought a big walk-in plastic greenhouse which I have needed to peg down and put heavy bricks all round the bottom to stop it from blowing away. I put the staging from the smaller one inside as, when the wind blew the greenhouse, it rocked the shelves and the seed trays fell off.
    Christine
  • coco67
    Options
    thank you for your replys, i think i will give one of the smaller ones a go first before buying a large one. x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Good luck Coco with it.

Applerose it was the Zips that ripped on my daughters as you asid though it was in the wind. Hubby had secured it to the wall :?

Sun's out here :D

For how long???? I do not knowt1046.gif, but might make hay while the sun shines :wink:

Love

Toni xxx
  • applerose
    Options
    Managed to spend a short while weeding round the pond today before it rained. Had to work this afternoon while the sun was out again but it was still too wet later to cut the grass which is nearly a foot high. Good news is I have baby Golden Delicious apples. Bad news is it looks like my peach tree is ill. The leaves are covered in biggish red bumps and the leaves are curling up. I've heard of a disease called leaf curl so I'll need to find out what to do about it.
    Christine
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    I have flowers every where but with the weather they are late flowering. I have red white and blue towers with only two red and three blue flowers are flowering no white its a good thing the queen don't come for a visit :lol:
    The hanging baskets are glorious and boxes with surfina in them.
    The clematis are doing well. I have more green than color. weeds are a specialty :lol:
    I have new seeds growing more flowers. :D The lettuce is doing well and the tomatoes. Badger does the allotment for us and grows more types of veg.
    I have wrapped my climbing rose in an arch i had to clip it a bit so some died back. wrong time to cut but it waved against the fence next door if it goes there side they clip it so i tided it up. just hope it recovers we have had it a long time it is beautiful and pink.

We have had lots of rain and it has re filled my water butts. Saves me using the hose i havent used that since leaving it on by mistake and flooding two garden patios. My neighbours thought the underground water tanks at the school had sprung a leak and panicked and dragged the site building manager out of a meeting who was puzzled until they looked to see if any others were affected up the street and found i had left the hose on. I was sure i had turned it off :oops: then went to sleep two hours picked up son my mistake found at half four. 12- four thirty Water full blast while i slept zzzzzzzzzzzzzz through. :oops: The next door neighbor saw the funny side luckily. Shook me at first and badger but we breathed a bit easier as they found it funny. I get the mick taken out of me now. :roll: :oops: well i am releaved the rain has come i will be more careful now. x Joanne
    Joanne
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Garlic and soap wash might help if you really have plum leaf curl applerose (look under the leaves and see the green bugs - I had it last year).

Joanne :)Lovely to see you :)

Glad to hear the flowers are all up even if the white aren't flowering yet (not enough sun I reckon :roll: ) the Queen spent too long here sorry :lol:

That Rose will survive my friend Wendy had one and had to massacrre it in her new house to get to the garden at all. That was 3 years ago and now it looks gorgeous!!

Your hose story was funny :lol: sorry! But at least no-one was hurt and you weren't on a meter :wink: I prefer butts too like you rainwater is better for the plants anyway isn't it? You could have grown rice in your very own paddy field :? (Hi to Badger and to Heather :) )

Love and HUGs

Toni xxx
  • applerose
    Options
    Thanks for that Toni. I did a bit of research and found I needed Bordeaux mixture but think I'll try your remedy first. I think I'll need to wait till very early spring as that is when it starts.
    Christine
  • Harlansmummy
    Harlansmummy Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Great to find a gardening thread :D

I love growing veg, and my son (he's only 3 1/2) has grown potatoes for the first time this year. I only have a small garden but I have one of those cheap greenhouses (with slot together poles) and a lot of pots!
    Twenty-something mother, home educating my wonderful son and currently TTC.

My particular flavour of arthritis is yet to be confirmed
  • coco67
    Options
    my apple tree has brown spots apearing on its leaves, any ideas anyone?
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Sun's out!!

Come on everyone...wellies on :wink:

c010.gif

Good luck everyone with fruit tree issues :shock:

Love

Toni xxx
  • Avrielle
    Avrielle Member Posts: 182
    Options
    I don't have a garden, but I have a courtyard with pots out there. I live in a group of flats and the people who live below us have half of the courtyard and we have the other half. They have put out basic flowers in pots, but they look nice enough. On our side though, everything is utterly exploding!! People keep commenting on them and asking for tips, and I simply don't have any, it's just all very, very happy this year.

We have a big deep trench like pot (can't remember the name of them) and have onions and carrots in there. The onions as looking very happy. My carrots are just little babies at the moment though.

There is my beloved raspberry bush in a pot. Looks like I'll actually get more than 2 raspberries off it this year! It seems to be finally taking and is covered in flowers just now.

I have two pea plants growing in the corner of the courtyard and they are both huge! They are climbing up the wall and the railings and one piece of a plant is currently attempting to climb the washing line! Lol!

My sweet pea is gorgeous. I got that from my partners mother. She has another one, but it wont grow. It is barely quarter the size of mine. It's going to look beautiful once it flowers.

There is also a vine, but I don't know what sort it is, but it's leaves are growing again after I thought it was dead, so I have hope for it. There are also lillies, a load of wall flowers that have sat in pots for a year now and are still flowering like mad. And there is a strange spikey thing sitting in a pot that my partners brother bought for us when we first moved in. It sits there, with yellow leaves and spikey and doesn't do much, but for some reason the small birds seem to take interest in it!

Indoors, we have two miniture roses which have been cut back and given another chance, two spider plants, one that is staying about the same size at around just over half a meter tall, and the other that seems to grow for fun and have had to move it in to the spare bedroom because it's just too big, standing at around 5 ft just now.

A bunch of other miscellanious plants that sit in the living room, but our real pride is out Lemon tree. It's bushing out now and budding loads of new leaves. A very happy plant! No fear of dirty carbon footprints at this home as far as plants are concerned! Heh!
    Life is just a ride. Up and down, round and around, thrills and chills, very brightly coloured and very loud. But don't ever be afraid, because it is just a ride.