Calling all AC Gardeners!

Options

Comments

• waddle
    waddle Member Posts: 116
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    are these the ones which you put a plant through a hole in the side then clip a piece in to hold it and then do another layer, if so i saw these yestereday and was wondering if they were any good. let me know how you get on with them please. hi by the way xxx
    Waddle :)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Waddle.. they are brilliant, I do a lot of baskets its much easier has I cant get down to put plants in the garden anymore, much less messy than the old baskets...wish I had bought more.
    Love
    Barbara
  • waddle
    Options
    thank you barbara i will order some in a couple of weeks when i get paid. they looked great on the telly but im always a bit weary of buying stuff of the shopping chanels. im glad you are happy with them i bet they look lovely x
  • waddle
    Options
    planted some geranium plants out the front and some bulbs in the border, fingers crossed they grow x
  • PollySid
    PollySid Member Posts: 343
    Options
    Waddle, just a tip for when all your lovely flowers bloom - don't forget to regularly pinch the dead flowers out to prolong flowering. I find with Sweetpeas I can pull them for indoors and they keep on flowering and flowering. They look really pretty in a little vase too.
    Must get my seeds planted :)
  • waddle
    Options
    Thank you pollysid i will remember to do that, i shuved some sweetpea seeds in today, it will be intersting to see if any grow. will have to pick up a little vase for if they do. they smell lovely and i remember them from when i was a kid,
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Fingers crossed your sweetpea do well for you. Do watch out for slugs and snails 'tho as they love the new shoots when they germinate. They're less of a pest as the peas start to climb. I grow them every year. I sow some in Autumn for an early showing but some in March as well to prolong the season.
    I've spent the weekend potting on Dahlia and Cosmos and Tomato seedlings and tidying up the flower beds. Oh and sowing more seeds. :)
    I got my Potatoes in at the allotment last week, some in bags/containers and some in the ground. This is the busiest time of the year for me gardening wise.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Hi All

Wow busy busy in here :D

Waddle l am so happy you have joined us all :)

My sweet peas are pretty tall now and just waiting till it stays a bit warmer to pop them out.

ritwren.....my bags are ready and spuds chitted so l shall be popping those in this weekend.

Not putting anything in the greenhouse yet as am away for my hols next week and things are likely to be a wee bit neglected. Despite the cat sitters 'best' efforts :wink:

Love

Toni xxx
  • waddle
    Options
    Does anyone know what i can use to get rid of slugs that wont harm me wee dog who would try eating anything if allowed.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Waddle you can get 'copper' strips. Put them around delicate plants (supposed to give them an electric shock. Sounds a bit cruel.

OR l am using nematodes this year. The slugs natural predator which you water in to the soil and lasts for up to 6 weeks.

Love and LUCK :wink:

Toni xxx
  • waddle
    Options
    thank you toni, i will take a look and see if can find some of the stuff you mentioned,

have a good day everyone, not so warm today so far
  • badgers1
    badgers1 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi all I am new but I have read all your posts and what a great forum you have will drop in often and have a chat see you soon :D
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Slugs. Ugh. Bury a plastic cup, up to its rim, near the things you want to protect then half-fill the cup with beer. They fancy a tipple, topple in and do the slug equivalent of drowning in a butt of malmsey. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    Hi All

I am loving seeing all these seedlings growing. My sweetpeas are now about 8inch tall, so in the pot I have stuck some little stakes for them to grow round. (should i have?, just didnt want them to flop over) the sunflowers are about the same height although...the sun flowers are rather spindly. :? The herbs...well all that is growing are the chives :( my marjoram and thyme, seem to have gone back under the soil :shock:
    My cornflowers are doing ok but seem to be slow growers.

All these plants are still in the conservatory. Am I right that I shouldn't put them out until may? or can it be sooner.

Still got to plant the lettuce and radishes :oops:

Have a good day everyone
    love juliepf x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Slugs. Ugh. Bury a plastic cup, up to its rim, near the things you want to protect then half-fill the cup with beer. They fancy a tipple, topple in and do the slug equivalent of drowning in a butt of malmsey. DD

Yes, but, in their attempts to avoid drowning and climb out, once drunk, they become rather violent with each other. Hence the term ‘slugging it out’.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Sticky! :lol: The mental image of drunken slugs slugging it out is wonderful! Bless you for the giggle.

Julie? I haven't got a clue my love, I hope tilly or frog or another wise tiller of soil can help. DD
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Julie

my sweetpeas are also on stakes :D

Now the putting things out till may theory has to do with things like frosts. If you are able to cover them over with something like garden fleece if it IS frosty they can go out as soon as you want, BUT don't forget to acclimatise them first by letting them 'play out' in their pots during the day and come inside at night for a week or so.

Well that's what l do anyway :oops:

Drunken slugs :roll: animal1225.gif (closest thing l could get to a slug :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Just a thought Julie

maybe you should make sure they take their mobile phones out with them the first few times they go outside??

:shock:
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Frog! You utter daftie! :lol: I love the visual image though, what larks Pip, what larks. :) DD
  • frogmorton
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Frog! You utter daftie! :lol: I love the visual image though, what larks Pip, what larks. :) DD

lashings and lashings of ginger ale too :wink:

what ho!
  • waddle
    Options
    The sun has gone today :( but it has stayed dry so ive been pottering around slowly painting the little fencing with stainer ready for it to be put around the front patch of my garden. that is all ive managed today.
  • julie47
    Options
    waddle , sounds like a job well done :D

Toni ... I read your post earlier today but didn't have time to reply. I took your advice and let some of the plants play out and OH brought them back in when it got dark. Hopefully doing this will strengthen their stems too. :D

(didn't get them a phone though :lol: )

slugs....we dont get too many big black ones as we have frogs that visit the garden and seem to eat them :shock: :?: but....we get the small whitish ones on the hosta plant, any ideas how to stop those?

xx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Julie

probably nematodes again they are harmless to our froggies :D Well the stuff l buy is. Pm me if you want the link Julie :wink:

As for the mobile phones.....if the plants were near enough to call out to you l'm sure they were fine :lol:

Waddle...fence painting?? Well done you!! More than l did yesterday - though the sun is out now so l will certainly be out today :D

Love

Toni xx
  • julie47
    Options
    Thanks toni I have pmd you for the link :)

love juliepf x
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Well, winter is back with a vengance, hopefully nobody has lost anything. I've been potting on Dahlia Bishops Children and Cosmos Sensation Mix and Brightness Mix. I've been sowing seeds too, it's such a busy time of year is'nt it. I'll have to wait to get the 2nd lot of Broad beans into the ground at the lottie, I'm having a nasty flare at the moment. At least I can stand for a littlw while when I'm potting on. :D