Book Club

Options

Comments

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thank you dear Frogs for messaging especially when you are both dealing with hard times with your families both human and furry.

Mine and the kids (Arnie & Willow) hearts go out to George with his poorly heart. Sadly when cats hit the age of 12yrs their health goes down hill. I hope seeing as his blood is good George will still enjoy being active but maybe a little slower.

And Toni, get your Solicitor to give your buyers a rocket up their a**es, you should be exchanging contracts after 6 weeks. We had slow vendors who we where buying off and I was literally on the phone to our solicitor everyday chasing! I think he was glad to see the back of me when we completed!!
    Poor Lucy hasn't she had enough already!! How do you go about getting funding? Is there anything we can do to help? Help get funding by doing a just giving page? Maybe getting monies quicker will help get a donor quicker. Anything we can do to help you, you know we will be there beside you.
    Arnie & Willow send daisycat purrs, I send you and Lucy a huge (()).

All bookies have a great weekend, fingers crossed for a nice weekend! I've nearly finished The Sheila E memoir, been a great read. Just a couple of weeks till I'll be heading off to Pathos!

P.S Dorren wanted to know if any of you had started her book (BOTM), she was hoping for some feed back.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,463
    Options
    Aww thank you and bless you Amanda!

It's for the consultant to get funding not a lot we can do I don't think.....but when we have moved house and therefore know which trust I will be ringing his secretary and will ask thank you ((())).

Made me well-up then!!

I am so glad you reminded me about Doreen's book! I knew I had bought my BOTM and have now located it. Went to the 'wrong' kindle one I no longer use because I broke it.

As soon as disclaimer is done I will start it :)

I hope our Helen is not in a tent :shock:

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hope everyone has a good weekend, I will be finishing on here for my holiday on Monday, So if one or both of the Frogs could look after The Book Club from then I would be grateful. Also sort out next months Book Of The Month maybe a free pass might be in order as I've not seen any reviews of last months BOTM yet!! Maybe it's due to members being on holiday as we are in the Holiday time!!
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Have a lovely holiday Amanda

I've started your friend's book and so far so good it's a fast reader.

Take care my friend :)

Love

Toni xxx

A pass is good as we are due to move.......
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Hello!

I finished The first fifteen lives of Harry August by Clare North on Tuesday. Towards the end I started to enjoy it more. I think because I read it in a more concentrated chunk. It is not a book to read little bird of at a time - the plot gets all messed up if you don't concentrate! I did like the story so I award ***

George went to his referral appointment on Tuesday. he does have heart failure and is now on three sorts of medication, which will get increased to 5 if he tolerates these ones. I don't think he has that long left, to be honest, but he does seem a little brighter since starting his meds. I have to encourage him to eat so I am spoiling him with fish, chicken, beef etc! And he gets his tablets in lumps of cheese too.

We are due to go away camping in two weeks so the cats are off to a cattery for the first time. The vet said we should go - I still feel guilty but she says that if anything happens I couldn't prevent it anyway. We go for 4 nights then come home for 3 days before going for another 4 or 6 nights.

I hope you have a good holiday, Amanda. I will try and drop by to help keep an eye on the club for you! I'm sure Toni will help too!

:cheers: :cheers: :deckchair: :deckchair:
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Morning!

I am finally back online after our move and very happy in the bungalow )

Daisycat is still a bit scared to go out bless her.

She keeps going to the cat flap but only peeping out mostly and if she goes out running straight back in via the other back door!!

I think you are (or were?) wise to go on your hols George will be with this cat family anyway so not stressed.

They will also sort out his meds there and look after him for you :)

I have had nothing to do other than listen to audios while unpacking as well as reading while resting. I am making good progress with The Gamekeeper's other daughter. Will review soon.

Well done for finishing Harry August. Shame I couldn't get into it :?

Love

Toni xx
  • frogmella
    Options
    Call me soft but we haven't gone away. George is not really getting any better on his meds and the idea of him dying in a strange place while I am on holiday is awful. So, we are doing holiday type things at home! At least with it only being camping we haven't lost a lot of money!

Hopefully I will do some reading - I am most of the way through The Raven's Head by Karen Maitland. I am enjoying it.

Probably going on Cannock Chase today so hope the sun stays out! :bouncing-ball: :bouncing-ball:
  • frogmorton
    Options
    You should have popped in to see me Frogmella!!! ;)

I agree with you about not going on holiday just now - we did the same when our old cat Eric was very ill. It was the right thing to have done in his case too as I had to let him go on the Monday after we'd have been home :(

I have finished reading The Gamekeeper's other Daughter by Doreen McEwan-Burrows.

This book was recommended by Amanda as she knows the author.

Our main character is a feisty woman, (the author), who grew up with a drunken father an older sister, (who father favoured), and another sister who was at least 15 years younger. the family move many times, which doesn't help our heroine who has to constantly change schools and struggles to fit in.

She portrays herself as almost hard-hearted as far as men are concerned, but I think she was actually quite sensible, strong and determined. She was a young woman in the 60s with a failed marriage behind her and a baby to support. Her relationship with men is often funny and I suspect she may have been an early women's libber in some respects.

After all she refused to tell the young female staff at work to wear longer skirts...knowing it was the men 's problem if it put them off work!

The book it lovely, gives you a good feeling about the generation she grew up in.

I can almost imagine her saying the words and hear her voice.

The only criticism I have is so minor I don't want to even say it is there were too many of these ' . I think if she swore she should just write it as it was!

I give the book 4****

Love

Toni xxx
  • frogmella
    Options
    Glad you enjoyed the book Toni.

Unfortunately we had to let George go this morning. His quality of life was very poor, he essentially stayed on his cushion all the time. It was a hard decision to make but I know it was the right thing to do. Needless to say there have been a lot of tears in our house these last few days.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Oh no :(

I am so so very sorry. The poor boy :( I know you did the right thing though, bless his little heart :cry:

You two must be devastated, but you did the last kind thing you could do for him.

Sending you love from us here and HUGE ((()))

George - RIP

(Soppy or not I like to think he'll be running free now at rainbow bridge)
  • frogmella
    Options
    Thanks Toni,
    It was the hardest thing I have ever done! At the end he lifted his head and looked at me as I told him I was there and loved him. I know it was the right thing to do, the hardest things nearly always are the right thing to do. I miss him. I hope he is catching voles and mice and having a good time running free. He hadn't run for a long time.

We are going away next week for the second part of our planned trip- we have just made it longer. I need the break after all of the drama.

Hope to get some books read while I am away! Mr F has his eye on my Karen Maitland - need to get it finished!
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Oh gosh yes the right things are very often the hardest to do. It sounds as though George was saying thank you and I love you in a pusskin kind of way ((()))

Now off you go and have a break, read a LOT it will help.

Thinking of you and Mr F

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hi Guys back from Pathos! Had a lovely time and the weather was super hot! Got a nice tan!
    So sorry to hear about George frog. Send you big (())'s as I know hard it is to say goodbye to a furry member of the family.

Here's my review of Doreen's book!

The Gamekeepers Other Daughter By Doreen McEwan-Burrows

This book is about the author's real life, She grew up with a alcoholic abusive Father and a mother who had to deal with a drunk husband all the time. She had one older sister and a younger Sister. The family moved about a lot which caused problems with Doreen's schooling and eventually left school at 16. Her love life was colourful to say the least and eventually found the love of her life Wilfred Burrow's, his health problems filled Doreen's life he sadly passed away a couple of years ago. She has 2 sons Paul and Scott, Paul has grown up to be a successful young man who works for B.T in the head office. Scott has grown up with terrible Epilepsy. He also suffers with Autism, he is a lovely young man and I enjoy talking with him on the phone to find out what he has been up to! Doreen is a remarkable Women who has been through a lot and still deals with taking care of Scott and having having health problems herself. She is a very funny and sharp witted woman who makes me laugh whenever we talk . And is in the middle of writing her next book!

Rating:- *****/*****
  • frogmorton
    Options
    m1277.gif home Amanda!!

I am very pleased to hear you had a great holiday :)

Doreen is one of life's copers I think that's why she will manage Scott as long as she can bless her.

I am glad t hear she's on her second book ;)

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Finished my other book I was reading now so here is the review.

The beat of my own drum: A Memoir By Sheila E

I decided to read this as since she became Prince's drummer when he did the Sign O' The Times Album and tour I've been fascinated by her and she is an amazing drummer. So when I saw the book I jumped at the chance to read it and learn more about her. The book goes from when she was born and going up in the Escovedo family that is a family of percussionists, her father was a famous percussionist as well as all the family being drummers or percussionists. Then when she was old enough she branched out and went along her own path playing for stars like Lionel Ritchie & Ringo Starr and also Prince who she also got involved with doing her own music with. She also got involved with Prince on another type of relationship!! (You know what I mean!!) I don't want to give too much away but the book is a good auto-biography of this Emmy & Grammy award-nominee. I really enjoyed it.

****/*****

I'm now about to start me before you by Jo Moyes
  • frogmella
    Options
    Welcome home, Bubba. I hope you had a good time.

Thank you both for your kind words and thoughts about George. It is very odd coming home and him not being here.

I did finish The Raven's Head by Karen Maitland just before we went. I enjoyed this as I did the other Maitland I read this time last year. It is set in 1224 and is a bit of a mystery with magical things and alchemy thrown in for good measure. It is a dark story and I really cared about what would happen. I award ****

I also read The Loney by Andrew Michael Hurley
    This was a really good book. There is a small amount set in the present but is mostly about two boys in around 1976/1977. The family always go on a pilgrimage at Easter to a place on the Cumbrian coast. The elder brother (i think he is elder) is mute and the Mother is obsessed with curing him. This year something happens while they are there. It is never obvious what the something is - in fact, I am still not sure now!! But it was gripping. Again, I really wanted to know what was going to happen. I award ****/*****

Bubba - I hope you have plenty of tissues ready for the end of Me before You. I cried buckets!!

I am now going to read A Man called Ove.

Very hot here today - glad it wasn't this hot last week in Somerset! Although we did get very lucky with the weather again!

Enjoy the sun. :hammock: :deckchair: :cheers: :bouncing-ball: :splash:
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hope everyone is keeping cool!! :too-hot: I'm the proud owner of a brand new Kindle Fire (5th Generation) after my poor last one decided it didn't like having too much stored on it!! And it's my favourite colour PURPLE!! My best friend Doreen who's book was a 'Book Of The Month' author, told me of another author she had met and she had just finished his 1st book and told me I should recommend it as a 'Book Of The Month' I know it's early for recommendations but I will put it out as a possible so the book is 'What are yer? Bleeder' By 'Derek Haughton' take a butchers and see what you all think and let me know if you would like it as BOTM for August.
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Im just reading The Yellow Crocus by Laila Ibrahim its about a slave woman in the usa,got it on my iPad for just £1.00.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    E-books are total bargains aren't they mig?

Let us know if it's any good.

I recently read Sue Monk Kidd's 'the Invention of Wings' about Sarah Grimke an abolitionist in America. You might enjoy it???

A purple kindle Amanda?? You lucky girl!!

I would be interested in reading Derek Haughton's book yes :)
  • mig
    Options
    Just finished the Yellow Crocus only brought it on Tuesday morning just couldn't put it down,it's pre American civil war and slaves are sold families broken up ,it is a true story which makes it more heart breaking. I would recommend this book . Mig
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hey Mig, nice to see you on here! :D Does this mean you are joining us and becoming a fully fledge member of The Book Club ? Glad everyone is deep in to books in this weather, so does this mean I can officially say that 'What are yer? Bleeder' By Derek Haughton will be August's Book Of The Month? The main thing is you can't get it on Kindle so will have to buy a paperback version of it, but you can get them used for £2.12.

Everyone have a good weekend and enjoy the cooler weather! :deckchair:
  • mig
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome bubba,just started Russka by Edward Rutherford only just found his books,I heard someone talking about him on the bus one day and in my local t***o they have a table of books for 50p that's given to a local charity and there was one of his books what a bargain shall keep an eye on that table.Will let you know how it is. Mig
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Yes I think that can be Augusts' BOTM - as you know I like a good 'manual' book :wink:

mig our local Sainsbury's has one too - donations for charity :)
  • frogmella
    Options
    Welcome, Mig! It's always good to get new members! I have a feeling you should be next to choose a BOTM!

I finished A Man Called Ove by Frederick Backman last week. I really enjoyed this book, although it is another that Bubba won't like due to there being some movement between now and then. It is a funny and sad book. I cried at the end! Ove is a grumpy man with little tolerance for fools. He has strong principles and is actually fairly lovable by the end! I thoroughly recommend this book. ****/*****

I think I am now going to read The Miniaturist

Enjoy your purple kindle bubba!
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Glad you have joined us Mig, hope you enjoy our crazy club!! :lol:

Okay so I can now officially say that What are yer?Bleeder By Derek Haughton is August's Book Of The Month as I mentioned you can't get it on Kindle sadly so we will have to go back to Paperback for this read. At the moment you can get it from Amazon for £0.94 for used copy. But they only have a few so get in quick!! :o