Book Club

Options

Comments

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Welcome mig,.

Finally read the Running Hare. Only thing I didn't like, was the bad language. He was quite fond of the 'F' word. :( So a warning to anyone who might give it a try. Next one up for me is 'Taken Care Of' which is Edith Sitwell's autobiography. It will take a while, because I'm rather partial to BBC 4 Podcasts, and I have a daily bible reading too.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Rach101
    Rach101 Member Posts: 165
    Options
    Hello! Love this thread - can I join in? I'm a librarian and obv love reading! I've got a pile of 6 books at the mo and I'm just choosing which one to read!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,463
    Options
    Hello Rach and welcome to you :)

A librarian - a perfect member for the book-club

e019.gif

What books are in the line-up for you? Do you like a particular genre?

Failed to get my August book of the month (BOTM for anyone new!) at 95p Bubbadog, but not to worry it looks really good :)

Love

Toni xxx

Ps Kath - I get totally carried away by my audios so understand 100% ;)
  • Rach101
    Options
    Thank you :) well, I picked 6 books at random to bring home from the library and have just started reading 'A Hundred Summers' by Beatriz Williams. I've got into it quite quickly and think it may be a 'read in a day' book! I'll let you know.

I read quite a range of books. My easy, go-to are 'who dunnits' as I grew up on Agatha Christie and have read so many authors since! Also love thrillers and got into horror as a teenager - favourite author at 12 was James Herbert, scary I know! My Dad read everything I read at that time and was startled to say the least! I love historical fiction and have read as many Tudor and war of the roses novels as I can. Also really love young adult fiction, Harry Potter was a work of art, enjoyed hunger games and Rick Riordan's Heroes of Olympus series. Also sometimes enjoy some light chick lit, particularly Sophie Kinsella - she genuinely makes me laugh out loud. Used to like Terry Pratchett, Mort was a big favourite. Best book of all time? Probably Daphne De Maurier's Rebecca. Not very keen on anything too gritty or realistic except I did think the Girl with a Dragon Tattoo was an excellent series.

I have started reading books that have been nominated for or won book prizes but I usually struggle to read them! I don't like to work too hard when reading. My perfect book is a paperback with readable sized font and few descriptive passages! Oh and of course with a storyline that grips me from the first page. Something I've learned to do recently is stop reading a book that I'm not enjoying. There's so many books to read it's a waste of time reading one you don't enjoy!

Erm, well that's a brief overview for now lol! I won't start on non-fiction preferences just yet!

Look forward to hearing from you all what you're reading and enjoying etc

Rach xx
  • Rach101
    Options
    So, do we all read the BOTM then discuss it?
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Rach101 wrote:
    So, do we all read the BOTM then discuss it?

Hi welcome to The Book Club Rachel101!! What we do with BOTM is read it and the do our own Review on it on the page. If you look back over the posts you will see how we do it and we also give our rating on it. We do that with all the books we read so others can see what we think and my decide 'oh I like the look of that book' and decide to read it themselves. You will get the hang of it as you go along.

bubbadog.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Currently reading and enjoying 'Me before you' trying to read as much as I can to help with my stress, it helps if my mind is busy. Trying to get through on the phone to my Doctor's Surgery at this present moment to make an appointment but it's engaged!!
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Rach - to an extent we do discuss books we are all reading such as the BOTM yes.

WE ought to do it more I suppose.

Your reading history doesn't sound dissimilar to mine although I don't really like chick-lit at all.

I also had a James Herbert phase with my Mum reading alongside me :) I reckon she chose the more scary ones too!!

She initiated the Historical Fiction phase though.

I do enjoy contemporary fiction myself. The girl on the Train was ok (not as good as expected), Me before you, While I sleep, Room etc....

Bubba - I hope you got through to the Drs :roll:

Love to everyone

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Thank you Toni, I was hoping to read more this week but Wednesday I came down with a Migraine and it's still hanging around now. I'm hoping today it will pass but this morning I feel really yuk. I hope everyone has a good weekend, hopefully the weather will stay nice and I can enjoy it a little tomorrow fingers crossed. Take care everyone and happy reading!! :cheers:
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hello Everyone! Hope everyone has had a better week then me! I'll just say in a couple of words 'sleepless, phone calls, stress' Managed to carry on reading a little more of 'Me before you'Still really enjoying it.
    Well we are suppose to have some sunshine and cloud over the weekend so hopefully it will be nice! Treating myself to the hairdressers tomorrow so looking forward to that!!
    Well I hope everyone has a good weekend!!

:cheers:
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    I finished Number 11 by Jonathan Coe yesterday.

This is a satire on modern life and he takes the Mick out of reality TV, rich people, journalists etc. It was a good read - I like his books, think I've read them all.

Now reading The Last Summer of the Water Strider

I still don't have as much time to read as I would like, but I can't complain really!

Hope the bookies are enjoying the sun. :bouncing-ball: :cheers: :deckchair: :hammock:

I'm off to the first home game on Saturday - free drinks courtesy of the new owner apparently.....
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I have added number 11 to my wish-list Frogmella!

It sounds just up my street!!

Fabulous weather we're having isn't it?

Amanda I hope there have been no more migraines?
    I had my hair cut too on Monday - I couldn't see :oops:

In-case anyone is a fan there is a new Agatha Raisin book out soon.

k030.gif

I am reading the 'Tucker books' Anyone heard of them?

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hi Guys, Sorry not been around, I'm suffering with stress because of this stupid non-appointment and it's getting to me. Very nearly finished 'Me Before You' As for Septembers Book Of The Month would either Mig or Rachel101 like to choose it?

To be honest I haven't even started 'What are yer? Bleeder' August's Book Of The Month so will have to add it to my 'To Read' pile!!
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hope everyone has a good weekend, shame about the weather!! Going to snuggle down with my furbabies and enjoy the last of the Olympics and read!!
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Me Before You By Jojo Moyes

I was a little unsure how I would react to the book after hearing all about the bad reactions from disabled people but I don't know why I worried yes there was a couple of places I thought didn't respect disabled people but over all I thought it was a good read. I loved the character of Lou digging in to a job she has no real experience of except helping with her Grandad. And deciding to take on Will the other main character who is a quadriplegic and try and brighten his life. Will and Lou spar a lot until something changes and Lou over hears a conversation that changes both their lives and takes them on a journey that is going to change their lives for good. Definitely have a box of tissues near by because with light hearted moments there are also emotionally heart renching moments.

RATING:- *****/*****
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Aw Amanda! I am so glad you enjoyed the book. I loved t too when I read it (2 years ago maybe more?? Seems like it anyway!!), but I don't remember any offensive bits :?

Probably me though! I am a bit dippy at times!

I haven't started our BOTM yet either, but will do soon if the weather keeps wet. I have been popping bulbs into holes :)

Now you must explain the non-appointment to me??? Looks like I missed something again :oops:

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hi Toni, I was talking about the Oncology Appointment!! Sorry to confuse you. Going to start a book that isn't a long book about possession, it's a true story and the I'm really looking forward to reading it as it's linked to 2 films I've seen!! :o
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Sounds interesting Amanda - let us know how you get on.

Look after yourself

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    The book I'm about to read is called Annabelle: The cursed doll By Taffy Sealyham. It's the interview this person had with Ed Warren the husband of the famous couple Ed & Lorraine Warren who are famous in the supernatural world and who have had two movies made about their lives 'The Conjuring and Annabelle' which the book looks into. I have seen both and they are very good. So have some interesting reading!! Will let you know what I think!!
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hi Everyone! I need to say if Mig or Rachel101 don't feel up to choosing September's Book Of The Month is there anyone else who has any idea's? We need to get it chosen because it's getting close to September now.
    We need a suggestion in by Monday please other wise I will have to find one or it will be a free pass month. Have a good Bank Holiday Weekend!! :cheers:
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hi, Due to no body being around we will have to have a 'Free Pass For September's Book Of The Month' hopefully everyone will be around now the School Holidays and holiday season has passed. So will be interested to see what book club members have been reading. :D
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Annabelle:- The Cursed Doll By Taffy Sealyham

I came across this book when I was looking for another book I wanted to read and it caught my eye as I'd seen a film about a Doll called Annabelle who had been taken over by a demonic curse and was a true story. I thought if this book is about the Annabelle doll the movie is based on I have to read this book and to my surprise it was!!
    The book is the interview Taffy Sealyham did with Ed Warren about the now infamous Annabelle Doll. There has now had a movie released about it (Annabelle), it is a very good horror movie which is more scary knowing it is a true story! Ed and Lorraine Warren are well known for being Paranormal investigators and Demonologists and have their own Occult Museum in which Annabelle is kept in a glass box. Sadly Ed Warren died in 2006. It is a good interview covering the whole Annabelle case, it's an interesting read . But if you scare easy don't read this!!

RATE:***/*****
  • frogmorton
    Options
    c060.gif

Oh no Amanda!! This is not for me!!

I hope that glass box is VERY secure and no-one ever opens it

e040.gif
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I hope all readers are doing ok?

I am listening to the number 1 ladies detective agency books while doing my jobs or driving and reading What arr Bleeder still when I get a minute to sit!! :roll:

I hope all is well with Amanda :?

Love
    Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Sorry for not being around this week, after getting back on my feet this week has been awful, still been feeling really tired and had a tummy bug on top of it all!! Thought I might have been anaemic so when I went to the Vampires on Wednesday my fav nurse took my blood while I told her I've been feeling really tired again and she told me well you are prone to getting anaemic maybe you are? talk to your G.P next week. So arranged phone consultation with her.

I'm reading deliver us from evil: A New York City Cop investigates the Supernatural it's based on the film 'Deliver Us From Evil' which is very good! And yes it's a horror movie!! :lol: So far it's really good and surprising what happens behind some front doors. Hope everyone has a good weekend. :)