Book Club

Options

Comments

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Funnily enough Toni my Kindle packed up Saturday! But OH read up about there being a fault on Kindles that after a while the on/off key gets stuck so he opened my Kindle up and yes the On/Off key was stuck so followed the fix it video on UTube and got mine working again! Got stuck into my new read Larger Than Life By Jodi Picoult beautifully written book couldn't put it down just over 1/4 of the way through already and I only got started on it yesterday. Got a feeling this is going to be a really good one!! :heart_eyes:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,458
    Options
    Well done your OH Amanda!! He is a star!

Sadly my kindle was an elderly kindle keyboard, which I loved and the screen is what went.

Glad you are enjoying the Jodi Piccoult :)

I have finished my BOTM
    I expect Frogmella has too.

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    I think my OH missed his calling with how clever he is with electronic and computerized things!! I'm really enjoying the Jodi Picoult book. I'm just concerned I might find the BOTM boring. I'll give it a go once I've finished the book I'm reading. :)
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    I have finished the BOTM today!

I did enjoy it. I liked the odd stuff at the end, wasn't expecting that at all! Hope you enjoyed it, Toni.

I now have The Girl on The Train to read. Got a deadline on that one so need to read fast!
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Mmmm..boring? Not really actually. The ending did give me a surprise or two too!

Anyone like Agatha Raisin? all her books are on offer on kindle ATM 99p each :)

Read the girl on the train Frogmella - it was good, but not as good as I hoped I think.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Well it's Friday and another weekend upon us! And it looks like it's going to be a cold one! My suggestion snuggle up on the sofa with a blanket and have a good read. Well that's what I'm going to do!! Not had a good night last night left knee pain kept me up and Arnie & Willow snuggled with me in bed all night.
  • frogmella
    Options
    I finished the girl on the train by Paula Hawkins
    It was OK. I didn't really feel it was gripping. I didn't care too much about many of the characters! It wasn't really a thriller to my mind, except the very last bit, but by then I had sussed who did it! So I reckon only ***

I am now reading a non fiction book First Bite, How we learn to eat by Bee Wilson. Fascinating so far!
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Sorry I haven't been around guys but I've had and still getting over a nasty flu virus. Due to this I haven't been around to sort the BOOK OF THE MONTH for MARCH so due to this all I can say is shall we call BOTM as a Free Pass Month?
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Oh poor you Amanda!

Horrible isn't it? I hope you cosy up indoors and look after yourself.

The Girl on the train wasn't much good in my opinion either Frogmella :roll:

A disappointment definitely.

Free pass....ok :)
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Well it's the start of another weekend and this one plans to be a freezing one so just one thing to do....Snuggle up with a warm blanket or quilt and hibernate! Also cuddle up to your furbabies and read. And of course keep your OH busy with delivering a steady flow of hot drinks!! LOL!!
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Close to finishing 'Larger than life By Jodi Picoult, it's been an amazing read, emotional in parts but I would whole heartedly recommend it if you love animals especially elephants! I will be kinda sad to finish it as everyday I would wake up looking forward to reading more of it which I can say hand on heart I have only ever felt that way about one other book Long walk to freedom.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    HI there Amanda

How are you doing now?

I am so glad you enjoyed the book. Jodi Picoult has hidden depths eh?

I will try to find time to post my updates book-wise soon

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Should have it finished by tomorrow, Been suffering a little with pain but thank goodness the flu virus seems to be over and done with. Look forward to reading your reviews soon. :)

frogmorton wrote:
    HI there Amanda

How are you doing now?

I am so glad you enjoyed the book. Jodi Picoult has hidden depths eh?

I will try to find time to post my updates book-wise soon

Love

Toni xxx
  • frogmella
    Options
    Hi Bookies!

I finished First Bite; How we learn to eat by Bee Wilson. It is a non-fiction book and I found it very interesting. I award ***/****

I have started A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by George RR Martin It is a combo of three prequels to A Game of Thrones. I am really enjoying it so far.

I have been ill with norovirus since the early hours of Monday but am feeling quite a lot better now. Not allowed back to work until tomorrow due to risk of infection so I need to disinfect my house now. Thing is I am still a bit washed out so will do in little chunks I think, perhaps with a read in-between!

Glad you are feeling better, Bubba.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Take it steady Amanda and as for you Frogmella!

Have you to fumigate your library books too?

Take care please

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hi Guys, Officially my 1st day back on this site, want to thank you for all your messages and to frogmorton for looking after the book club in my absence. Got a long road to recovery. While resting up I come across a good book for 'BOTM' and as we are near the time to choose it I thought I would recommend it now it's called 'Payback By Kimberly Chambers. See what you think and let me know. Also my good friends book is close to being released and will let you know the date.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hi Everyone, wanted to wish you all a happy Easter and don't eat too much chocolate!! :D
  • frogmella
    Options
    Hi Bubba, It's good to see you are on the mend. I hope you are looking after yourself properly. ((()))

I finished Good as Dead by Elizabeth Evans this morning. It was a book I picked up off the shelf in the library. It is definitely not one for Bubba - there are two time frames. Now and in the past. It is a story about a toxic friendship formed when Charlotte was at Writer's Workshop. She moved in with Esme and the "friendship" began. It begins in the now with Charlotte getting visited by Esme out of the blue many years since they last met. This gets charlotte to reminiscing about the past and what went on between them. The present occasionally intervenes during the middle portion of the book and then takes over at the end of the book. I quite enjoyed it but it took a lot of getting into at the start. That might have been better if I wasn't reading it in snatches, at night when I was tired, though! I reckon ***/****

At least it is the holidays for a short while now. I have five books from the library to read and can't decide which to start with. I hope to have some free time to read over the next week.

Look after yourself Bubba!
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hi Frogmella, I'm lucky my OH has been off most of last week due to no work so I have felt safe, he is going back tomorrow but if there still is no work he will come back home. Still feel extremely nervous about being home alone. And though the bruising is starting to fade still got a huge lump on my forehead and over eyebrow! :(
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Larger Than Life By Jodi Picoult

I truly enjoyed this book, it was written beautifully and you felt as if you where there with her. The story is about a young researcher named Alice who is studying the memory of elephants. She is particularly interested in the bond of the mother and calf and the mother being so powerfully protective over her baby.
    Then one day while out in the bush she stumbles on an orphaned calf whose mother had been brutally murdered by poachers. She felt she couldn't leave it behind. The story goes on to tell you about Alice's life and how taking on the responsibility of a calf takes you on a roll-a-coaster of emotions. Can't wait to read the next book in this series. I fully 100% recommend this book but warn you will need a box of tissues and a lot of chocolate!!

RATING: *****+/*****+
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Need to ask what are your thoughts about Payback BY Kimberly Chambers for Book Of The Month April? I need a decision ASAP or has anyone got another to suggest. We will need another choice of course! So please guys let me know. :)
  • frogmella
    Options
    I have finished Black Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin. (I know, you can tell it's the holidays!!)
    The black eyed susans were 4 girls dumped in a mass grave by a serial killer about 20 years ago. Tessie was the only one to survive. Now, the man convicted for the murders is nearing his execution date. Tessa, as she is now known, has doubts that he is the real murderer and has agreed to help with his appeal. The story alternates between then and now, so is not one for Bubba, but that added to the appeal for me. To be honest I never really tried to work out whodunnit, I was more hooked by the story and the forensics trying to find out who the other susans were.
    I award ****

I am now going to read The Versions of Us by Laura Barnett.

That book looks ok Bubba. I haven't got any other ideas for books we will all like atm. Lots of the books I have read recently/are going to read have the split timezone thing going on that you don't like!

Keep looking after yourself!
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Okay so we will go with PAYBACK by Kimberly Chambersas Book of the Month for April and as a second choice we will go with another Free Pass

So can you get your Book Recommendations head on for the next BOTM I've given you lots of notice!! We seem to be sliding on the whole set up for The Book Club and need to get back on track.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    I've been a little naughty and started reading another book that isn't the BOTM It's called We are the cops By Michael Mathews It's all about the USA cops and there lives, so far very good and I can't stop reading it!!
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Still enjoying We are the cops, it's well set out and is made up of lots of stories from American cops. :)