Book Club

Options

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,458
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Happy New Year Frogmella!! (I think it was Stephen King who gave you nightmares!!!!)

and all bookworms :)
    k040.gif
    Thank goodness for books over the festive period I have been up many a night coughing!!

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    HAPPY NEW YEAR BOOKIES!!

Well I need to let you know I'm off on my travels in a fortnight so need to ask 'the Frogs' if they can look after The Book Club while I'm away I'll be finishing on the 15th January and back properly on the 8th February. So could you sort out the BOTM For February please as well, Thank you.

Nearly finished the 'Diana's Bodyguard' Book so will be reviewing that soon.
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Okey dokey! Hope you have a good break. I think you need it after all that has been going on for you.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Thank you so much Frogmella! I'm hobbling round like a headless chicken trying to get things ordered and start sorting out what I'm taking. After all the Christmas festivities we have come down with a bump realizing we where going away in a couple of weeks so panic stations have started!! :o
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Ooooh! but Amanda it will be so worth it!!

Except missing Arnie and Willow of course :( ((()))

xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Diana - A Closely Guarded Secret - Ken Wharfe
    This book is another view of Diana's life from her Protection Officer who was with her from 1987 - 1993. He became a confidante and friend of the Princess and was by her side until the marriage of the Prince and Princess fell apart publically. This is a well written book and shows you the life of the Princess away from the camera's.
    He also writes about how the marriage began to fall apart and how the 'war of the Wales' started. And he also writes about Prince's Harry & William as Children and what they got upto.
    Yes it's a long book and it can be hard work in parts to read but it's worth it as there are some fun parts in it.
    RATING:- ***/*****
  • frogmella
    Options
    Alice and The Fly by James Rice
    This was a good book. It mostly takes the form of a diary written by the main character. He is writing the diary because his teacher thinks it might help with some of his "issues". Interspersed are police interview transcripts which help to give the idea that something has gone wrong somewhere but you don't know what. The main character, Greg, has a serious phobia of THEM. You soon work out what THEY are! He is in secondary school, I think about 15 or 16. He clearly has some mental problems and so it is difficult sometimes to work out if what he says is the truth or just some truth or entirely made up! I felt sorry for him. His mother and father both sounded dreadful and he has a hard time at school. I enjoyed this book. Not always a comfortable read but gripping. ****/*****

I am now reading Us by David Nichols the bloke who wrote one day and starter for ten. Seems good so far.
    Hope you have a good break Bubba!
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Thanks frogmella! I do need it now had a ruff day yesterday with a bad tummy, I ended up having a onesie day on the settee! Just got a couple of things to do before Wednesday! And now the weather is turning vile it can't come soon enough! Well I look forward to catching up with you when I get home and I hope the weather doesn't get to awful for you lot. I will have a cocktail and think of you all. Adios!! :D
  • frogmella
    Options
    Hi bookies! It just occurred to me that we should be looking to choose a book for February. Anyone got any ideas?

I am enjoying US it is quite bitter sweet with a fair dose of humour. A good read. Just wish I had more time to read it!! :lol::lol:
  • frogmella
    Options
    I finished Us by David Nicholls today.
    It is about Doug and Connie and their son Albie going on a trip around Europe before Albie leaves for art college.
    Before the trip Connie has told Doug that she thinks they should separate. This comes as a surprise to Doug and he hopes that the trip will solve the problems and she will stay. The story has two main strands - the past and how Connie and Doug met, married etc and the present and the fairly disastrous trip.
    It is a good story; funny and sad. I enjoyed it ****

There doesn't seem to be any choice for BOTM as yet. So I am about to read If I Fall, If I Die by Michael Christie that I picked off the library shelf yesterday. How about making that BOTM?
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    frogmella wrote:

There doesn't seem to be any choice for BOTM as yet. So I am about to read If I Fall, If I Die by Michael Christie that I picked off the library shelf yesterday. How about making that BOTM?

Good executive decision there Forgmella I shall have a read of it during February.

Well done.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Sounds fine by me Frogmella

:)

I just read Moving on By Jodi Picoult

What a book!

Contemporary fiction category

Who is the main character? The woman, Alice, a scientist studying the grieving patterns of elephants? Her daughter, Jenna, who is searching for her mother missing for 10 years since she was 3? The retired Policeman-come- Private-eye who never found out what happened that night, or Serena, the psychic who Jenna 'employs'.

Luckily they are all likable characters and only in the very last chapter do you find out what on earth is going on!

There are some lovely descriptions and stories about Elephants, their 'families' their mothering etc Not boring at all, in fact I found rather enchanting :)

I can't say much more because I might give too much away, but this book is WELL worth a read folks.

For me: 5*****

Love

Toni xxx
  • frogmella
    Options
    I am enjoying my BOTM choice! Phew! It is a bit like Room, if you read that? But also not!!

I quite like a Jodi Picoult when I am tired, Toni. I always find them an easy read and the changing perspectives each chapter keep you hooked! I might well add that one to my holiday list. When I say holiday I mean camping, of course!! Come on spring!!
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I did enjoy Room yes Frogmella so I know I'll enjoy that book.

That book wasn't quite your usual Jodi Picoult - but you will enjoy it while you are camping!!!

Love

Toni xxx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Just downloaded my BOTM as I am almost ready to start it!

Hope everyone has a drier start to the weekend than me :roll:

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Absolute Beginners By Patsy Kensit

I've always been quiet interested in Patsy Kensit as she began acting when she was a very young child and then had a break and went into music and when she got bored went back into acting. And of course her high profile relationships. It also goes into her family and her Fathers past that still haunts her.
    It's well written and moves along well, a very easy read! I read this book in 4 days while on holiday! This was a very good back which has shown me the real Patsy Kensit and changed my attitude to her. Did enjoy it.
    Ratings:- ****/*****
  • bubbadog
    Options
    The Curvy Girls Baby Club (The Curvy Girls Club Book 2) By Michele Gorman

I've read and really enjoyed the 1st book 'The Curvy Girls Club. I thought it was a good mix of fun and seriousness. So knew straight away I was going to enjoy this book. It carries on from the 1st book with Ellie back from her honeymoon and ready to tell them all about it and her exciting news! But Jane had her own news and when Ellie delivered her exciting news that she was Pregnant Jane couldn't hold her news any longer that she too was also Pregnant! Poor Katie had to sit and watch them talk baby stuff but she was happy she was going to be honorary Auntie. But a few weeks later Katie has her own 'double' news, the book keeps the humour going through elasticated waistbands and morning sickness. I enjoyed this book so much it was read in 2 days!!
    If you have read the 1st book ' The Curvy Girls club' this one is a must!!
    Ratings:- *****/*****
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Couldn't find the book Moving On By Jodi Picoult on Kindle but found another one by her called 'Larger Than Life so going to try that. So which are the BOTM for February? Bit confused!!
  • frogmorton
    Options
    If I Fall, If I Die by Michael Christie

That's BOTM Amanda :) It was one Frogmella was about to read.

How are you?!

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hi, I'm pretty great thank you except for my left ear and left shoulder trouble! Had a magnificent holiday, weather amazing, both got tans! totally love Jamaica!!
    Glad to be back in the fold though. Shame about the awful weather here now I'm home!! BBBBRRRR!

frogmorton wrote:
    If I Fall, If I Die by Michael Christie

That's BOTM Amanda :) It was one Frogmella was about to read.

How are you?!

Love

Toni xxx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Oh lovely! Sounds like you had a great time. Tans are always nice to have when everyone else is lily-white like me!!

Keep warm and dry is my advice :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • frogmella
    Options
    I am still enjoying the BOTM but don't have enough time to read it!! Got so much work to do ATM. :(:(:(

Glad you had a good holiday, Bubba! Hope to be able to pop in with more reviews and time next week when it is........ Half Term!!!!!! :lol: :shock: :D
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Breaking up tomorrow frogmella?

:balloon:

I am about 1/3 way through our BOTM and like you struggling to find time ATM......

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Wow another weekend is upon us! And now I'm all sorted and up to date I'm going to get sorted on my new book. Hope everyone has a good weekend!! :valentine:
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I had to get a new kindle this week....my keyboard gave up the ghost sadly.

Got the super-cheap fire and added a memory card.

Glad you are sorted now Amanda you can get back to your reading :)

Love

Toni xxx