Anyone for Gardening?

Options

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Toni and Babycham.
    Yes, we do miss our cats – would love to have cats again but not yet plucked up courage (and a little worried about the road). Zodi used to talk too, she would “chirrup” away and you could have quite a conversation and I am sure that the “no vet – me hide” phrase is one of the first ones all cats learn!
    I will enjoy my garden thanks – although it’s going to be greenhouse gardening though cos the heavens have just opened again. Still all looks nice and green and it’s very cosy in the greenhouse. Thanks Babycham. Might do like you and take out some choccy and a book!
    Happy gardening!
    Love Tilly x
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    The old apple tree is being taken down tomorrow, it has some nasty disease so will be glad to see it go.

With some luck by the middle of next week it will all be done and dusted by the workmen out there and we can get out and start making some progress with the setting out and sorting.

We've got several small shrubs to plant out, a dwarf evergreen, spirea, bleeding hearts, a hydrangea, geraniums - the list seems endless..........but so looking forward to sorting it all.

Hope the weather is good to us.

Annie
  • tillytop
    Options
    Good Morning!
    Thanks for choccy yesterday Babycham! Really helped me along with the planting. Had a lovely afternoon pottering in the greenhouse. You’re right that when a loved puss-cat dies it feels like the end of the world but I have a feeling that there will be cat(s) in our house again one day soon!

I think I may have found your book – “Cleo – How a Small Black Cat Helped Heal a Family” by Helen Brown. You’ll find it on Amazon. Hope it’s the one you are looking for.....

Hi Annie. Hope the tree felling goes well today and the dust settles quite quickly so you can get on with planting. That’s the really fun bit isn’t it?

Hello to Ironic and to Toni who I’m sure will be in the garden (or the gazebo) at some point today.

And to Val – hope the weather and the bones will allow you to get your veg in!

Well I’m off out this morning to a local tea shop for a cuppa with my Mum – really looking forward to an outing. Then hopefully back into the garden for a gentle potter this afternoon.

Love Tilly xxx
    o015.gif
  • tillytop
    Options
    Glad it was the right book Babycham! Blustery here too today - just had to tie up the cucumbers - wind had pulled them off the fence and snapped the tendrils. Hope they will be ok. Sorry your clematis petals are all over the garden rather than still on the plant!
    Tillyx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    Options
    Hmmph!!!

this weather HAS gone on long enough i agree :( Shame about teh cucumbers and the clematis grrr!!!

Got a book on topiary off ebay and it came today....

what shall I make guys??

I am dead exited :D

Love

Toni xx ( weilding some very sharp looking clippers)
  • frogmorton
    Options
    babycham wrote:
    Hi Tilly hope you had a nice time..don t really rate the weather Watch out for Toni and her clippers she says she s turning nastyxBabycham :):):)

She IS.... u055.gif
  • frogmorton
    Options
    That's impressive you know Babycham.....

I have started a Daisy cat :D

Dun it with some wire....might take ayear or two though :roll:

Toni xx

Gingham hearts?? Ribbon???

Sounds far too......
    NICE!
  • tillytop
    Options
    Hi Toni and Babycham.

Very impressed with your topiary Daisy cat Toni - but keeping well out of the way of those sharp clippers! Looking back at yesterday's escapades on the other thread, I had been going to suggest topiary gnome/egg/snail but think your idea is better!!!

Babycham I too am impressed with your gingham heart making. Do you make them as presents, to sell, or just cos you like them?

I did have a nice time this morning thanks! And although weather not brill here today no proper rain so I got some pottering out in the garden this afternoon. Doesn't feel like June though does it?

Love Tilly x
  • tillytop
    Options
    Hello to anyone who's been out in our garden today!

Right Cris, hammock ready for you, tame deer (genie) waiting in the wings, and HGs in the cafe waiting for your first order (hope they are in a fit state come tomorrow morning - I've told them they need to be ready at the crack of dawn cos you're an early riser!)

Love Tilly xxx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    mmm - finally a nicer day here too. Had a sit in the garden with my coffee and begun one of my lists - jobs for my young gardener ... and a few for me that I think I will manage despite the ruddy hip restrictions (yeh, yeh, I know ... they are important ...)

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • tillytop
    Options
    Hi Speedy and Babycham.

Babycham, what were you doing behind the compost heap? You might find more signs of life there than you were bargaining for?!!!

Speedy - hope you managed to cross some things off your list - and that you kept your young gardener busy!

Cris - flask of tea on bench for you. Enjoy the evening sunshine if you do get time to pop in!

Love Tilly xxx
  • biddybeth
    biddybeth Member Posts: 45
    Options
    tillytop wrote:
    Hi Speedy and Babycham.

Babycham, what were you doing behind the compost heap? You might find more signs of life there than you were bargaining for?!!!

Speedy - hope you managed to cross some things off your list - and that you kept your young gardener busy!

Cris - flask of tea on bench for you. Enjoy the evening sunshine if you do get time to pop in!

Love Tilly xxx
    Hi, found your garden. The little hedge trimmer I have is by Bosch. It's really great, quite light and easy to handle, even with my wonky hands. Great for topiary too!!!!
    I haven't got around to growing veg yet. May give it a go. I have long-handled tools which are great as I can't bend down to well. My garden is my salvation - when I feel disheartened or down in the dumps, I get out there and potter. Works every time. Also, my favourite place to have a gin and tonic!!!!! Love, Biddybeth
  • tillytop
    Options
    Hi Biddybeth and welcome to the garden!
    You could compare topiary notes with Toni (Frogmorton) as she’s just started her first topiary creation (see post further up the thread)!
    I can thoroughly recommend veg growing – even on a tiny scale like me (few things in pots). Like you my garden is my salvation – my husband sometimes virtually “puts me outside” when I am down because he knows that I will feel so much better for it! As for the
    G & T – well there’s lots of lovely places in our virtual garden to sit and soak up the sun with your drink – or under the big old tree if you’re more of a shade lover! So enjoy!!!
    Love Tilly x
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    I wasn't going to do very much with the garden because of being away for nearly a month, but suddenly realised that my giant yukka in the house was needing a new pot. This sent me to the garden centre to buy some bags of compost. There was a very good offer on Buy 2 x 50 litre bags of John Innes compost (£5.99 each) and get 1 free. So I stock up. So the Yukka, which is nearly 6' high, is my job for tomorrow. It will then stay outside until the autumn. (gosh, those amorous pigeons are on the flat roof above my head again). so noisy.
    Whilst at the garden centre, I decided to get just a few things for the front flower bed, now the wallflowers are over, so bought buzy lizzies, begonias, 'tobacco plant' Nicko something and two or three plants.

As you can see, I am not a veggie grower anymore, use to be, but bad back etc has halted all that. The garden is just about straight now before we go away and then, when we get back, OH will be building my summerhouse, which he has promised me for the last two years. When that is done, I can start getting the back garden straight. Now, who can advise me what plants like a windy garden.

Joy
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    I bought some perennial begonias at the local fete.........haven't had those before, curious as to whether they really do last. Lovely bright orange colour.

Also bought some black grass - I've got spider grass and corkscrew, so now I will be able to start an autumn/winter pot with those.

Wish the workmen would hurry up and go...........I can hardly wait to get started!

Annie
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    wont be long now annie and will look great val
    val
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Everyone

Hi Biddybeth

welcome to the forums and the garden from me too :)

I have got a rechargable set of hedge trimmers...think teh are bosch? are they the same? i haven't had a go at the topiary with them yet :shock:

Mine are light too - I tried the weight out in the
    shop before I bought them :)

Did Annie say begonias?? i love them....what a gorgeous day everyone -hope you all made the most of it?

Love

Toni xx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Well anothergorgeous morning everyone - so far :D

The sun is shining - who cut all our lawns? e020.gif

They look lovely :D

Cris obvioulsy too tired to get in here yesterday - not suprised really will take the flask and was it out in the cafe

Love

Toni xx
  • valval
    Options
    ok what been nibbleing my runner been plants got little holes in them bet it ants ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
    val
  • frogmorton
    Options
    valval wrote:
    ok what been nibbleing my runner been plants got little holes in them bet it ants ggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

OH NO!!!!!!
    VAL!!!

The little monkeys

dont know if Daisycat eats them as well as slugs and spiders - shall I send her up?

Love

Toni xx
  • valval
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    valval wrote:

OH NO!!!!!!
    VAL!!!

The little monkeys

dont know if Daisycat eats them as well as slugs and spiders - shall I send her up?

Love

Toni xx

thanks will have to put some ant powder down but not near plants do not want to poison us all
    val
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Options
    woodlice are the worst. The are in every pot that I have emptied. with going away, haven't done so many, wouldn't get watered and they soon dry out. Waste of money, so will plant bulbs in them later in the year. With the help of OH, moved my yukka into a bigger pot. Then moved my miniature apricot tree into the garden. Did quite a bit more potting on, then the empty pots into the greenhouse. No tomatoes either this year,but vines thriving. planted some new pirennials. Discovered a clematis that I had planted years ago. A couple of silvery mauve flowers grinning through the montana,which have been awash with blooms this year. 15 yrs ago, I got OH to make a timber surround to the patio There are 6 uprights all joined together with crossmembers. It now looks like arches, because the diff. shades of clematis montana planted at each post have all intertwined. The arches all fall in line with our downstairs window so that no one can see in from the road and our nutty neighbour who lives adjacent to us at the bottome of our garden. Normally when I have planted the pots up with begonias and geraniums, it can look amazing but if I am not going to be here to water them it would be a waste of money.
    Tomorrow I want to go out and get some more herbs to plant with the sage and rosemary. They smell nice when you are sitting in the other branch of the patio.

When we get back from hols, OH has said he will definiely get on with my summerhouse.. WATCH THIS SPACE>
    I've waited 5 years already. I have then got to get the eating area swept and washed down. It is a bit hard for me to do, cannot sweep very well and I expect OH will leave it to the last minute, like, just before everyone is expected to arrive. I think I need to go and do my BP now. I know I am getting hyper.

Oh for a lovely sit down now.

Joy
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Biddybeth,

A welcome from me as well and nice to meet you. Cris x

Oh Tilly just came in for the flask and the hammock after a cuddle with the deer :D

I got 2 more climber roses, another pink and a red one and this time ,since last weeks has undergone some very heavy handed pruning by the Lodgers Gardening Services hey are all 3 going in the bank to use the hawthorns as supports......

Hope you had a good day and I off to curl up in the hammock :D (((( )))) Cris xx

Hi Annie,

I had those and they did flower for ages and came back for a few years too,. Mine were red an yellow double ones and they were lovely. xx
  • biddybeth
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Everyone Hi Toni, I found my Bosch trimmer great for rounding off my little box balls. Mind you, the picking up afterwards is a bit hard. I havebeen sitting out today with a gin and tonic. I love the summer, always feel so much better in the sun. Love Beth

Hi Biddybeth

welcome to the forums and the garden from me too :)

I have got a rechargable set of hedge trimmers...think teh are bosch? are they the same? i haven't had a go at the topiary with them yet :shock:

Mine are light too - I tried the weight out in the
    shop before I bought them :)

Did Annie say begonias?? i love them....what a gorgeous day everyone -hope you all made the most of it?

Love

Toni xx
  • biddybeth
    Options
    tillytop wrote:
    Hi Biddybeth and welcome to the garden!
    You could compare topiary notes with Toni (Frogmorton) as she’s just started her first topiary creation (see post further up the thread)!
    I can thoroughly recommend veg growing – even on a tiny scale like me (few things in pots). Like you my garden is my salvation – my husband sometimes virtually “puts me outside” when I am down because he knows that I will feel so much better for it! As for the
    G & T – well there’s lots of lovely places in our virtual garden to sit and soak up the sun with your drink – or under the big old tree if you’re more of a shade lover! So enjoy!!!
    Love Tilly x
    Hi Tilly, is it a weeping willow? I love them, but my front garden isn't big enough for one.