Anyone for Gardening?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,825
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Mine are flowering too Rehab very pretty purple flowers.....

hubby going racing tomorrwo so will have to wait to eat them......

Had our first lettuce in our sandwiches at lunch though :D

AN FINALLY caught Wonky up - got a flower on Lucy's sweet peas :D

Love

Toni xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    got roses in front garden and sweet peas grow through them look lovely and quite a few in flower :D:D:D:D:D
    val
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Well finished the evening shift in the garden. Far to hot today to do much outside. Had a warm bath and washed my hair. Swear there was something doing the backstroke in with me :shock:

Pulled out alot of dead bulb leafs and now there are lots of spaces to fill.

Have a major problem with ferns. They are taking over one side of the garden. I think they have strong roots so hope that OH can get them out. My poor roses are being overtaken by them. Any hints?
    Good gardening to all.

lv, Ix
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    If you grow sweet peas with runner beans it helps them pollinate (attracts the bees) & you should get a better crop. Ive put mine in with them.its called 'Companion planting', theres loads you can do but i aint got me gardening head on tonight.
    I lent a good gardening book out to someone but i aint got the heart to ask for it back as he lost his wife last year then daughter a few months back :( . But its a readers digest book & cost quite a few pennies.
    Ive planted lettuce in a trough & im just pulling the leaves for the salads, im limited on room. Ive planted Radishes & have pulled them every 2/3 days then i replant them every few weeks so we have a continuous crop.
    Spring onions are well on there way too (why do they call them spring onions when they not ready yet :shock: )
    Happy gardening, debs
  • frogmorton
    Hi Debs

Had some radishes too :wink: mmm... lovely :D

love the idea of putting teh seet peas with the runner beans :!: they are quite close by...will that be enough about 6-8 ft away?

Ironic....

Well finished the evening shift in the garden. Far to hot today to do much outside. Had a warm bath and washed my hair. Swear there was something doing the backstroke in with me

Pulled out alot of dead bulb leafs and now there are lots of spaces to fill.

and worried that there is lots of space to fill in your hair now..... :shock:

Val your SW Peas sound lovely :D

It is hot today so I am going to leave some cold drinks in the cooler for anyone who wants to avoid the foorie later :wink:

OOOooh forgot I have an emergecy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Blackfly on me taties :shock:

HELP!!!

Lov

Toni xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Great big, dark, pink, bell shape flowers on my penstemons(sp). Beautiful.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    Elizabeth,

How LOVELY :D

Toni xx
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hi all

Been reading back and v. impressed that you are all having such gardening success and are busy eating the fruits (and vegetables) of your labours!

Me, I've just been skulking round in the shade nipping out to water anything that looks as if it's going to die of thirst (ie most things at the moment).

But, based on rehab's tip I'm going to pop out later to see if my 'tatoes might be ready to tip out of their pots soon. Now that would be exciting. :D

Love Tilly x
  • valval
    well done rehab that great going
    val
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Hi all hope every one is busy in there gardens even if its sun bathing. :D
    Got some plants from broom fate 50p each at first then i got three full trays of plants at end sell off for pound. Impations,surfina other trailing plants and some yellos plants carnt think of name. Car was ten minuit walk away oops got carryed away had to walk holding trays me mother in law my hubby and daughter had to have em on my lap and everyone else. Mother in law none too impressed. Garden looks lovely. Arms a little longer and in pain. Carnt resist a bargen. have a good week end all im exhausted but very happy :D
    Joanne
  • frogmorton
    Good result Rehab - better than Endland eh? :wink:

Joanne - I can almost picture your garden now :D

Lovely - s*d teh MIL - the garden is the most important thing - and of course.... a bargain :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • valval
    suncatcher wrote:
    Got some plants from broom fate 50p each at first then i got three full trays of plants at end sell off for pound. Impations,surfina other trailing plants and some yellos plants carnt think of name. Car was ten minuit walk away oops got carryed away had to walk holding trays me mother in law my hubby and daughter had to have em on my lap and everyone else. Mother in law none too impressed. Garden looks lovely. Arms a little longer and in pain. Carnt resist a bargen. have a good week end all im exhausted but very happy :D

love a bargaine never can resist one got some bulbs for 10p a pack and they are lovely right got to take meds and get moving lol val
    val
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Done nothing to the garden except sit and look at it today (and water) but it's been a good day 'cos the rest of the Leylandii next door have come down......surprising the difference it makes even in the living room.

Now I can really start to plan.........got a tiny little bit beside the shed, about 4ft long and 18" wide.....gets little sun.......any ideas? Thinking of throwing big stones down and getting a bird bath or something........

Annie
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Well done Joanne and Val for getting some excellent bargains.

Annie things are really moving on a pace in your new garden. It must have made a huge difference in light levels when the trees came down. Have the trees sapped all the goodness out of the soil there? It must have been very dry.

Its been raining here and the forecast is for more overnight. So I have collected two nights stawberry rations just in case it damages the plants and picked a lovely bunch of Sweet peas. Oh the scent :lol:

Good gardening, Lv, Ix
  • suncatcher
    frogmorton wrote:
    Good result Rehab - better than Endland eh? :wink:

Joanne - I can almost picture your garden now :D

Lovely - s*d teh MIL - the garden is the most important thing - and of course.... a bargain :wink:

Love

Toni xx

I have got another green plastic green house with the plastic cover as when all the seeds need re potting i wont ave enough room. I also got a long planter for my sweet peas when they are ready.
    Joanne
  • suncatcher
    ironic wrote:
    Well done Joanne and Val for getting some excellent bargains.

Annie things are really moving on a pace in your new garden. It must have made a huge difference in light levels when the trees came down. Have the trees sapped all the goodness out of the soil there? It must have been very dry.

Its been raining here and the forecast is for more overnight. So I have collected two nights stawberry rations just in case it damages the plants and picked a lovely bunch of Sweet peas. Oh the scent :lol:

Good gardening, Lv, Ix
    Thanks ironic :D
    Joanne
  • suncatcher
    valval wrote:
    suncatcher wrote:

love a bargaine never can resist one got some bulbs for 10p a pack and they are lovely right got to take meds and get moving lol val
    I think i will take in to account where car is to stall. I suffered for this bargen. Pleased with the garden and i also like you love a bargen.
    :D
    Joanne
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Rehab & Toni im only too glad to help (that saying sounds funny :roll: )
    Ive got my sweetpeas growing in with the runners but they wont flower til next year ( the sweetpeas that is)
    Im trying to think (not easy) Carrots companion planted with spring or normal onions keep a certain fly away.
    Deris dust on cabbages (for maggot & sumthing else)
    I must get me gardening head out of the wardrobe :roll: Its a bit dusting though :shock: :lol:
    debs
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    I have tatties! Just tipped out one of my pots and have a bowlful – not many, but enough for tea tonight! I’m so excited!!! Will wait a bit longer to turn the other pots out though – might have a bigger crop then. Mine are Charlotte I think Rehab – but I’d like to try Orla next year.
    Joanne – well done with all the bargains – I’m very impressed! And Val – bulbs for 10p?!!! Brill.
    Annie, glad things are moving on in your garden. I think a bird bath would be lovely. My family bought me a birdbath for my birthday a couple of years ago and it give me endless entertainment. At the moment whilst it’s so hot it’s like a municipal swimming pool with all the starlings and sparrows. And when I have been up at stupid o’clock the last few mornings, all I have been able to hear is squawking and splashing. Have to fill the bird bath up several times a day.
    Ironic – strawberries and sweet peas – wonderful. I was given a vase of sweet peas from my Mum’s garden today and everytime I walk past the kitchen table the smell almost bowls me over.
    Debs – good tips! Another companion planting tip is marigolds to keep whitefly off toms. I’ve planted marigolds around my toms this year and they are looking very pretty. Whether they do anything for whitefuly remains to be seen!
    Hope you all have a good evening.
    Love Tilly x
  • annie_mial
    We are off to the garden centre tomorrow to get about 6 bags of compost, a garden parasol, some decorative stones/gravel/whatever, a large ceramic planter or two and to check out water butts and composters.

Wheeeeee!

Annie
  • suncatcher
    annie_mial wrote:
    We are off to the garden centre tomorrow to get about 6 bags of compost, a garden parasol, some decorative stones/gravel/whatever, a large ceramic planter or two and to check out water butts and composters.

Wheeeeee!

Annie

With a possible water pipe threat a water butts a good idea. Your garden will look wonderful when you are finished i can almost picture it :D
    Compost i seem to use tones of it good luck with the garden shop from joanne
    Joanne
  • frogmorton
    Wahay!!

You lot have been busy!!!

Will try my tatties tomorrow :D

Debs - what will get rid of me black fly?? companion planting wise. Have ben hosing them off with soapy water ok but time consuming...

Water butss I have two and both are now empty :(

One composter too - large :) smells lovely :D

see you all later

Love

Toni xx
  • valval
    will soapy water hurt spuds ????????????????? just soaking feet and wondered lol do not like to waste it
    val
  • annie_mial
    Groan...........I have prepared and planted a large herb container, another large one filled with different grasses, done endless fiddly jobs that hubby hasn't the patience for, moved pots and objects around, tidied up all the mess and I am shattered!

I know there will be payback tomorrow, but it's beginning to look so good it's worth it.

We also have a lovely new water butt just waiting for some rain to fill it (we were lucky, had a nice downpipe in just the right place).

It has cooled off a lot here tonight, hoping it will rain, but probably just a sea mist coming in.

Hope everyone has enjoyed their gardens today!

Annie
  • valval
    put it on one of the spuds to see what happens lol and rest on flowers they needed the extra water as had no rain so far val
    val