Anyone for Gardening?

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Happy Sunday all!

It's my birthday today and I have been given (amonst other things) some garden gift tokens! So my mind is whirring with possibilities - composts flower pots, seeds etc etc......

Toni - so pleased you are happy with your garden this year. It's lovely when it all comes together isn't it? And re the brandy - in real life I can't drink at all because it makes me ill, so you wouldn't deny me pleasure of a little bit of "virtual indulgence" would you? And I've noticed that the virtual empties vanish without trace almost immediately, (triffids?)!

Annie, I read on the other thread about your trying day on Friday, sorry it's all so difficult. Hope the brandy hit the spot! Oh and your hydrangea sounds beautiful!

Cham and Ellizabeth - glad you were both feeling better when you posted. Hope you are still feeling better today?

Mellman - your garden sounds very productive - I am impressed!

Just off out to pick a few salad leaves to go in lunchtime sandwiches. Can't believe how much pleasure I get from just picking the littlest thing from our garden.

Hop eeveryone is enjoying their day.

Love Tilly x

015.gif
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    something that will last so every year you see it you will be reminded of the lovely present val
    val
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Tilly,

The t07105.gif has put on her very best costume and k050.gif has rounded up g045.gif and her friends to knock you up a cake h080.gif ..... will leave it by the hammock and we all hope you have a very

h100.gif

Love and a ((((( ))))) Cris xx
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Babycham,

The links are ;

http://yoursmiles.org/index.php

and

http://www.cosgan.de/smilie.php?wahl=11&ziel=tiere

and from there you can get different categories... the first one has the glitter ones and they do seem to be the best :wink: the second one has the animals... I use g045.gif and k050.gif far too much :oops: :oops: :lol::lol::lol:

You click on the smiley you want and it depends on what system you got but on FireFox you copy the link in the box and paste it over.... i ain't too good at technical stuff but I think this is about right.... ((( ))) Cris xxx
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Oh, Babycham, I've just said exactly the same to Cris on the other thread!

Tilly, I had some garden centre gift vouchers given me in March....it took me till last week to make up my mind what to spend them on!
    Have a lovely day.

My hydrangea looks lovely all potted up in a cream coloured container. I'm really pleased with it.

Annie
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,825
    iT'S RAINING!!!

my butts will be filling :wink:

Hoorah!! Hoorha!!

Have moved the brandy into the sunhouise if anyone wants it.....

have put the 2 dozen empty ones in the recyc :shock:

Love

Toni xx
  • tillytop
    Hello all – thanks for the birthday greetings and spending suggestions for my garden gift tokens!

Rehab – I agree that you can never have too much land or too many greenhouses! Or too many hunky gardeners for that matter! Wonder if they accept payment in garden tokens?!!!!

Val – choosing something to last is a lovely idea – perhaps a nice big pot. Mmmmm...

Bcham – thanks for the eg tea, the balloon and the “home made” non-alcoholic wine! Like the idea of a pool party too.

Cris – love the picture of the deer – and found the cake and the animals waiting by the hammock thanks. What a lovely birthday surprise!

Annie – bet your hydrangea looks beautiful in the cream pot. And I know what you mean about taking ages to spend the tokens – I only finished spending last years birthday tokens a couple of months ago. But I think that’s half the fun don’t you?

Toni – hope your butts are now full! :lol: Not rained here yet – tried sort of first thing but then gave up. Grrrrr. Thanks for moving the brandy supply into the dry and getting rid of the empties!
    Have a good evening all.

Love Tilly x
    :D
  • frogmorton
    Hi Tilly

the butts are about 1/4 full wjicj is great - a few more weeks' veggie watering if that's all the rain we get.

No prob about the empties - just didnt give the right impression :lol:

LOve

Toni xx
  • annie_mial
    Tilly, where are you? You seem to get the same weather we do here........the clouds had a half-hearted attempt at some drizzle this morning, but it cleared and warmed up very quickly after that.

Had a domestic and gardening day today............hanging curtains (well, I supervised) and trowelling on topsoil......I can sit there forever doing that! Managed to break a small table in the process of hanging the curtains, so got to go somewhere and get a telephone table.............

Feeling really cheered by the way we look now, both inside and out.

Annie
  • tillytop
    Hi Toni and Annie - it's raining!!!!!! :D:D:D:D Not as much as Toni's had but it's a start eh?

Toni, you've obviously had more rain that Annie and I. I "rushed" out at the crack of stupid yesterday morning to put all my trugs out to catch the rain I thought was coming and when hubby looked this morning the bottoms of the trugs where hardly wet (although the washing I forgot to get in last night was soaked - work that out!)!!!

Annie, I'm in Oxfordshire - know you are by the sea (not sure where) but we are about as far from the sea as you can get here! So pleased you are getting settled now and your day sounded lovely - apart from the table. How??? No-one was trying to stand on it were they to hang the curtains?!!!!! And I'm with you on trowelling topsoil - very therapeutic!

Have a happy day!

Love Tilly x
  • frogmorton
    Morning Tilly and Annie

I reckon Tilly that she was standing on the tabel :wink: he he! so longa s no-one is hurt eh?

We are due more rain this afternoon tilly here isn staffs, i hope you get a bit of it - once we have enough water I want the sun back :shock: :D

Love

Toni xx
  • annie_mial
    Rain! We've had rain! Might get some more, too.

Tillie, how very odd.....I'm in Sussex! I've noticed before that you seem to get the same weather we do here.........maybe they've swapped Oxfordshire and Surrey around? That would explain it!

We rushed out there in the rain, threw grass seed all over the bare patches and then sprinkled topsoil on it. It might work!

Annie
  • frogmorton
    Good luck with your grass seed Annie :wink:

Love

Toni xx

PS the dry spell seems to have killed off some of our clover :D

Hoorah!
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Hope the grass seed took Annie.
    Well the heavens have openned here. Thunder, lightening and very dark. Well now the pond is over flowing :roll: At least my head ache has gone. Better get the wet suit out the forecast says more of the same right through the weekend. There goes another crash a bit close that one. :shock:
    Hope nobody has seen animals going round in two's or any white doves looking for branches to put in their beaks. :lol::lol:
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    not had much rain but when it comes it so heavy grass will need cutting lol
    val
  • tillytop
    Afternoon gardeners!

Not about much this week as hubby off work on hols (hooray) but means am having to share the pc!

Ironic - do we need to start building that ark yet? Hunky guys are on standby just in case!

Annie - hope your grass seed takes - and hasn't been washed away! Think your "county swap" could explain a lot!

Toni - good news about the clover dying off! Our grass looks all yellow and parched - but then it's mostly clover anyway! :lol:

Val - good luck with the grass cutting when the time arrives!

Had lots of rain here over the last day or so but need more. Very windy now and stormy weather forecast for later so we'll see!

Love Tilly xx
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Hi everyone isnt it great to get a bit of rain. It does a much better job than i do. My seeds are really growing especially the lettice. I am pleased today as i have been given some mint and two tomato plants by a friend. Hope everyone is well and enjoying there gardens from joanne :D
    Joanne
  • tillytop
    Hi Joanne - like you I am thrilled to get some raiin at last - and as you say it''s much better than trying to water yourself. Glad your seeds are doing well! My small "cut and come again" lettuce leaves are not doing brilliantly - think too hot for them. But I planted some more lettuces the other day when it started to cool down a bit and they are doing nicely. Bet you're chuffed with your toms and your mint!
    Love Tilly x
  • suncatcher
    tillytop wrote:
    Hi Joanne - like you I am thrilled to get some raiin at last - and as you say it''s much better than trying to water yourself. Glad your seeds are doing well! My small "cut and come again" lettuce leaves are not doing brilliantly - think too hot for them. But I planted some more lettuces the other day when it started to cool down a bit and they are doing nicely. Bet you're chuffed with your toms and your mint!
    Love Tilly x
    Yes cannot wait for some tomatos to come that and my lettice. When they do i hope to sit and eat a salad in the garden and think i grew this. :D Maybe your lettices will pick up its been so hot and humide. getting the right amount of water has been tricky.
    I had to move pots around too much sun too little. I just love being in the garden it is so theraputic just woderful. Enjoy your garden tilly x joanne
    Joanne
  • tillytop
    Hi again Joanne - yes it is wonderful to eat the fruit of your labours isn't it? Even if its just a few lettuce leaves. Yes, really hoping my lettuce will pick up. I've not been able to be out in the garden as much as I would like over past couple of weeks and I really miss it because, as you say, it's very therapeutic - probably the best medicine there is I reckon - and no side-effects (other than those caused by trying to do too much!)
    Please do keep us posted on the progress of your toms Joanne. Mine are doing nicely - just hope they don't get blight.
    Love Tilly x
  • suncatcher
    tillytop wrote:
    Hi again Joanne - yes it is wonderful to eat the fruit of your labours isn't it? Even if its just a few lettuce leaves. Yes, really hoping my lettuce will pick up. I've not been able to be out in the garden as much as I would like over past couple of weeks and I really miss it because, as you say, it's very therapeutic - probably the best medicine there is I reckon - and no side-effects (other than those caused by trying to do too much!)
    Please do keep us posted on the progress of your toms Joanne. Mine are doing nicely - just hope they don't get blight.
    Love Tilly x[/q

Yes i hope the sun comes back out ive got used to sitting out in it. I am missing it. Good luck with your tomatos
    Joanne
  • frogmorton
    Hi Joanne

Hi Tilly :)

I been eating my lettuce for a while - they are amazing - one of them has sort of spiralled up like those 'newspaper trees' you made at school :wink:

My tommies looking ok but no-one wants to change to red :(

Going to check my water butts later _ I rcekon the small one will be full and the bit one about 3/4 :D

Lovely

Toni xx
  • tillytop
    Hi Toni and Joanne - hope you are having good days today.

Toni, sounds like you have a bolting lettuce! Apparently you can save the seeds to grow next year, but never tried it. I remember those newspaper trees - used to love making those. My toms are not showing any signs of ripening yet either, but can't wait! Hope the water butts are as full as you expected?

Thanks Joanne - please do keep fingers crossed for my toms - will be sooo disappointed if they don't succeed after all!

Right, advice please. I have lots of marigolds near the tomatoes which are absolutely covered in blackfly. So, do I take them out, so the blackfly doesn't spread, or leave them in in the hope that the blackfly will stick to the marigolds instead of everything else? They don't look pretty but at least they are all in one place!

Love Tilly x
  • suncatcher
    tillytop wrote:
    Hi Toni and Joanne - hope you are having good days today.

Toni, sounds like you have a bolting lettuce! Apparently you can save the seeds to grow next year, but never tried it. I remember those newspaper trees - used to love making those. My toms are not showing any signs of ripening yet either, but can't wait! Hope the water butts are as full as you expected?

Thanks Joanne - please do keep fingers crossed for my toms - will be sooo disappointed if they don't succeed after all!

Right, advice please. I have lots of marigolds near the tomatoes which are absolutely covered in blackfly. So, do I take them out, so the blackfly doesn't spread, or leave them in in the hope that the blackfly will stick to the marigolds instead of everything else? They don't look pretty but at least they are all in one place!

Love Tilly x

The hub who is an allotment buff says He don't think they would do much harm to the tomatoes. Marigolds are good for keeping away white fly. He said take the black fly off with your fingers. x Joanne :) :idea:
    Joanne
  • suncatcher
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Joanne

Hi Tilly :)

I been eating my lettuce for a while - they are amazing - one of them has sort of spiralled up like those 'newspaper trees' you made at school :wink:

My tommies looking ok but no-one wants to change to red :(

Going to check my water butts later _ I rcekon the small one will be full and the bit one about 3/4 :D

Lovely

Toni xx

My lettuce is mixed my favorite lovely with salad good for us to. hear us we sound like a load of rabbits :)
    Joanne