Anyone for Gardening?

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello Rehab, Annie, Joanne, Val, Toni and Babycham - hope I've not missed anyone!
    Our tatties the other night were yummy! They nearly didn't make it to the plates cos we started eating them out of the pan!!!!! Thanks for the tip on digging up a few at a time Rehab - I'll give that a go.
    Annie - sounds as if your garden is looking lovely now - hope we all get some rain now to fill our waterbutts.
    Toni - hope you are beating the blackfly? Hopefully your tatties will be ready soon?
    Val - I tend not to water anything edible with soapy water - and I tend to avoid using it for anything in pots, but I use it elsewhere in the garden. Have also started recycling the water from the tumble dryer condenser, rather than tipping it away. Surprising how much water comes out when you dry a load of towels - makes me feel less guilty for using the dryer (only really use if for towels anyway, but still ...)
    Love Tilly x
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Hi tilly hope you are enjoying your garden the weather has been good to us. Just wondering when they will announce the hose pipe ban. just when we have a few good days they like to announce that. well happy gardening everyone
    Joanne
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi all the garden is looking great will sit out here with panapple juice and enjoy it val
    val
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,825
    Hi All

Had some tatties and they were lovely - the best i've tasted for ages :D

Yep the soapy water has got rid of the blackfly thanks and CHam - hope the soapy water cleaned off your feet too :wink:

Annie - got any water in your butt yet??

(that dose sound rude - surely? :oops: )

Sweet potaos looking interesting as well.... wont have the slightest idea when they are done :roll:

Love

Toni xx

PS had to paint my greenhouse with protector as the sun was scorching my tomatoes - are yousr ok now Tilly?
  • tillytop
    Hi Toni, Val and Joanne
    Really could do with some rain here – it is sooo dry. Rained earlier for a while but doesn’t seem to have done much good. Thanks Joanne – I am enjoying my garden, but from inside I am afraid – too, too hot for me outside at the moment. And, as you say, wait for the hosepipe ban!
    Hope you enjoyed sitting in the sun Val.
    Congratulations on the tatties Toni – what sort have you grown? V.impressed by your sweet potato growing, please keep us posted on progress.
    Good job you painted the shading on the greenhouse I reckon Toni. My toms are much the same but, interestingly the one I planted later (ie the one I couldn’t find a home for but couldn’t bear to throw away) is looking much better than the others. The only thing I can think of is that it is in a slightly cooler place. Still against a south facing fence, but a bit further along so gets some shade later in the day. So I reckon it may well just be too hot for the others where I’ve put the pots. Lesson learned for next year then.
    Hope you all have a happy weekend.
    Love Tilly x
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Right, all you gardening bods...........any suggestions for a very shaded corner, gets little to no sun and has a big old buddleia in it.

Don't want to get rid of the butterfly bush, but nothing seems to grow under there of course. Is there any kind of ground cover plant which would like it? Or any other suggestions - Rehab, not those suggestions.....gardening ones!

Annie
  • valval
    rehab44 wrote:
    annie_mial wrote:
    Right, all you gardening bods...........any suggestions for a very shaded corner, gets little to no sun and has a big old buddleia in it.

Don't want to get rid of the butterfly bush, but nothing seems to grow under there of course. Is there any kind of ground cover plant which would like it? Or any other suggestions - Rehab, not those suggestions.....gardening ones!

Annie
    Arghhh Buddlia! Needs cutting down each year to about 6" from the ground that opens up the area a bit I have planted cyclamen and primroses under mine plus spring bulbs which flower after you do the pruning and have died back when the buddlia starts to grow and flower.

did not know this should i cut back hebe as well look straggaly
    val
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    rehab44 wrote:
    annie_mial wrote:

Annie
    Arghhh Buddlia! Needs cutting down each year to about 6" from the ground that opens up the area a bit I have planted cyclamen and primroses under mine plus spring bulbs which flower after you do the pruning and have died back when the buddlia starts to grow and flower.

Yes we did (well, hubby did) cut it right back before we moved in and plan to take it back even further in the autumn. I like the idea of primroses........will look into that. Already have loads of bulbs, so tink I will put those in that spot too.

Annie
  • valval
    annie sounds like it will be lovely
    val
  • valval
    thanks have put it under favs great sight
    val
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    All you gardeners who have just started.

I do hope that we can see some pictures of your flowers when they grow. I read a lot about you so would love to see some pictures.

Just heard RAIN is coming on Monday near Wales.

Trish xx
  • frogmorton
    Hi Rehab Val Annie and Trisher.

I have three butterfly plants - buddleais and i love them - guess where one is?? Right by me veggie plots :shock:

Thing they are moveable? If so when??

I have a patch like you too Annie - I have put some primroes to try and also some bluebell bulbs. Not found much for this time of year yet but I will :wink: I do add aomething to the ground too as reahb suggest they do need extra feed there.

Isn't it lovely :D

Love

Toni xx
  • frogmorton
    rehab44 wrote:
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Rehab Val Annie and Trisher.

I have three butterfly plants - buddleais and i love them - guess where one is?? Right by me veggie plots :shock:

Thing they are moveable? If so when??

I have a patch like you too Annie - I have put some primroes to try and also some bluebell bulbs. Not found much for this time of year yet but I will :wink: I do add aomething to the ground too as reahb suggest they do need extra feed there.

Isn't it lovely :D

You might just be right Rehab....

I just dont like being cruel :oops:

By the way - the soapy water squirt did the job with teh blackfly :D

Been doing it every other day :D

thanks

Toni xx
    Love

Toni xx

Buddliea are a bugger to move especially if it is a large one. It will need pruning back hard in Autumn, and the new location prepared in advance.. a big hole to take the big root ball and the Buddleia
    Is it really worth it, you can pick up a new Bud fairly cheaply
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    I have found some very nicely camaflouged caterpillers eating the leaves off my climbing roses. They have done a good job so far. What should I do with them. Kill them or move them (so they can grow into lovely butterflies)?

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • frogmorton
    tkachev wrote:
    I have found some very nicely camaflouged caterpillers eating the leaves off my climbing roses. They have done a good job so far. What should I do with them. Kill them or move them (so they can grow into lovely butterflies)?

Elizabeth

Ah! Elizabeth i dont know!!!

If they were in my garden you could pop 'em on my buddlia :?

Hope someone with some sense comes along soon

Love

Tonixx
  • tillytop
    Hi all

Much cooler here today but no rain yet and grass is looking very parched and brown.

Elizabeth I would go for the "moving the caterpillars" option (although where too I don't know!) I don't like to kill anything, even if it/they is eating me plants!!!!

Annie, how about something like a Variegated Eunonymous for your shady corner? There are several different types and some grow bigger than others but the leaves I think are very good for lightening up dark corners.

Hello to Toni, Trish, Val and Rehab and anyone else who's around the garden. Thought I saw Cris in the hammock earlier and a glimpse of Babycham behind the compost heap but may have been a figment of my imagination.....

Have good evening.

Tilly x
  • valval
    hi tilly had some of my potatoes earlyer they were lovely think they need more water though as were bit on small side lol just watered as every where dry runner beans being eaten by something lol three still doing ok so should get some beans toms growing but no fruit on yet.
    val
  • tkachev
    Thanx Tilly and Toni. I dont like to kill either but they have had a banquet on my rose leaves. Have cut and put in vase and flicked off the blighters. Will check I have removed them all.

E x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tillytop
    Morning all - hope it is a good one for you.

Rehab - so glad you had such a wonderful day yesterday! I've now
    got that "it's such a perfect day" song going round in my head which seems appropriate. Sometimes it's the simplest things in life which give the greatest pleasure don't you think? And all that veg from your garden - I'm well impressed!

Elizabeth - hope you did manage to get all the blighters! And at least you've got a lovely vase of flowers in the meantime. Bet they smell gorgeous.

Val - glad you enjoyed your tatoes! My beans aren't looking too great either - they have flowers but the plants are a bit small and don't seem to be thriving particularly. Well, only time will tell!

Off to hang the washing out now, then a nice cuppa and some toast and marmite methinks!

Love Tilly x
  • valval
    i had toast and marmite as well was lovely great day for drying washing nice breeze and some sun val
    val
  • tkachev
    Toast and marmite for me too!
    Tilly I put the caterpillers in the recycling food bin so they could carry on maturing.
    I have a very fast -growing plant between the apple and plum tree. It has tiny lilac flowers and oval leaves and looks pretty enough but as its growing so fast Im just going to check it out.
    Rehab your day sounded wonderful. Makes all the aches and pains worth it.We have spuds and spring onions dug up for lunch too.Kids just want a McD though...
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • valval
    rehab sounds great so glad it was so good val
    val
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    . Today was a perfect day, I only wish that you could have been here to share it with us. [ Quote Rehab]

After the description of that delicious lunch, just let us know next time, and we'll be there in a flash :!: :D:D
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • frogmorton
    Lovely to hear you all counting your blessings....Elizabeth, Rehab Joan and Tilly and Baby :wink:

Rehab do the catties like being IN the composter then?? :shock:

Love

Toni xx
  • tillytop
    Evening!
    Val and Elizabeth hope you enjoyed your toast and marmite as much as I did! And Val, hope your washing dried.
    Babycham - I know it's corny but it's true!!!
    Elizabeth - novel idea putting your caterpillars in the food composting bin - hope they'll be happy in there?????!!!
    Hello Toni, positivity is good! hope you are feeling better by the time you read this post x
    Hello Joan.
    Rehab - otherwise known as Kitchen God - Joan's message set me thinking. Perhaps you could do an al-fresco sunday lunch for us in the garden one weekend? I'm sure Val would let you use the cafe kitchen for the cooking!
    Right, off out to do some watering now it's cooler.
    Love Tilly x