Anyone for Gardening?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,822
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Tilly Hi Joanne

I got rid of my blackfly of my spuds with a watersquirter full of water and washing up liquid!!!

Honest it worked. They were being 'farmed' by ants :? yuk!!!

I do beleive marigolds look after toms - companions or something....

Glad your lettuce are doing so well too Joanne - you think Rehab will explain the weird lettuce I have??? :shock: :shock:

Water butts really nearly full :D

hoorah

That means that it can stop raining now :wink:
  • frogmorton
    Ok Rehab

Will pick immediately

:shock:
  • frogmorton
    Sorted Rehab

Thanks

My hero :roll:

Me butts are FULL

hoorah!!!

Love

toni xx
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Just beginning to come to a bit more........lovely day here, had a look round my poor battered garden. Hubby is tidying it, raking and staking.

Our composter was delivered Friday so we can start filling it!

What salad leaves other than lettuce can be grown? I can't eat it and hubby won't - all I can think of is rocket, but need something a bit more than that........

Annie
  • annie_mial
    Have to try eating them first! I haven't been very adventurous knowing that I can't eat lettuce......Swiss chard? I can eat that, will have a think about it all for next year.

Annie
  • annie_mial
    rehab44 wrote:
    annie_mial wrote:
    Have to try eating them first! I haven't been very adventurous knowing that I can't eat lettuce......Swiss chard? I can eat that, will have a think about it all for next year.

Annie
    You can't eat lettuce?

No, it disagrees violently with me. So does cabbage, but I refuse to give up my brussels sprouts! There are other veg I shouldn't eat, but do occasionally, 'cos I like 'em!

Annie
  • annie_mial
    rehab44 wrote:
    This of course begs the question, why are you growing them?

I'm not, petal. We came in too late and with me in too bad a state for me to worry about veggies for this year. I'm just trying to sort out some plans for next year's growing. We have only a tiny garden and I want to grow very small amounts anyway.......only two of us to feed. I have set aside a large container for salad veggies and a couple of smaller ones for spuds.....and I only need enough of those for me as OH doesn't like new ones. BTW, has anyone grown sweet potatoes? Oh, I will have room for a few tomato plants, too.

I already grow herbs to add to the salad.........and from the look of the garden I will have a ready supply of young dandelions to add in!
    Was just trying to sort out an alternative to lettuces if I could.....

Annie
  • annie_mial
    Not even sure we can fit in a 2m x 1m due to the shape of the garden, but will have a think.........broad beans, hadn't thought of those. Onions and garlic are out, oh, spring onions are a possibility as I can have only very little. Leeks now..............mmmm, will have to do some serious thinking!

Annie
  • annie_mial
    Yes, recently bought some beautiful herbs from Wilko's, an orange Sage and a Thyme I haven't already got. The one here is closed at present, doing a refurbishment and extending it a little, so will be going in at the end of the week!

Will have a good look round and looking might give me some ideas.

Annie
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    I have been re potting today. The hub got me more pots from allotment but used all up and all compost so he has got to get me some more. I will run out of room to put them i know i will. I went mad with the seeds.
    love watching them grow.Using loads of water though. Glad i got a water butt it helps.
    The weathers been mixed today. I took the kids to the park then came home to repot. Just love being out side. Just want a bit more sun especially for the summer holidays. Lots of lazy days in the sun just perfect. Hope everyone is well and managed to get in the garden today x joanne :D
    Joanne
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Hi Joanne, Annie, Rehab and Toni

Thanks for blackfly removal ideas but think now gone to far for
    finger or water and washing up liquid removal. They are EVERTYWHERE! Because I prefer not to use chemicals I think they will just have to get on with it. :cry: But, as suggested (thanks) the marigolds do seem to be keeping the creepy crawlies off the toms - so fingers crossed.

Joanne - what have you been potting today - sounds as if you are really enjoying your seed growing!

Annie - think that, as Rehab says, you might find that container are the best optiin if you haven't got room for a permanent raised bed. They can look very decorative and you've then got the flexibility to tailor the compost and conditions to whatever it is you are growing.
    Love Tilly xx
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    tillytop wrote:
    Hi Joanne, Annie, Rehab and Toni

Thanks for blackfly removal ideas but think now gone to far for
    finger or water and washing up liquid removal. They are EVERTYWHERE! Because I prefer not to use chemicals I think they will just have to get on with it. :cry: But, as suggested (thanks) the marigolds do seem to be keeping the creepy crawlies off the toms - so fingers crossed.

Joanne - what have you been potting today - sounds as if you are really enjoying your seed growing!

Annie - think that, as Rehab says, you might find that container are the best optiin if you haven't got room for a permanent raised bed. They can look very decorative and you've then got the flexibility to tailor the compost and conditions to whatever it is you are growing.
    Love Tilly xx

Disaster tilly! I came home to find my new plastic green house toppled over and plants every where the plastic corner snapped all my re potting had to be re done. I came home from book group and decided to look at and water the plants and found this. I had to clean it all up. I have a rest early afternoon and had less rest didn't i feel it. Ive re potted the pansies, and sweet peas and aubricia
    Thought it was going to well. oh well. How about a garden disaster thread :lol:
    x joanne
    Joanne
  • frogmorton
    Oh Joanne :( :shock: :shock: :shock:

Disaster. Get OH to secure it - it HAS been really windy.

You are doing so well dont give up now. My water butts are full now - think I need another - anyone think I am getting a teeny bit obsessed??? :shock:

Hi Tilly - I wont use chemicals if I can avoid it either hence the washing up liquid squirter - it worked for me on powerful jet - twice a day. So long as your tommies are ok. One of mine is distinctly orange :D

Annie - pots it may have to be eh? Herbs are lovely fresh grown from your own garden :D

Hi rehab - you behaving?? - you ever grown sweet potaotoes? I got some in one of me tattie bags - if you have when are they ready??

Love

Toni xx
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    OK who ever is doing the rain dance can you now change area PLEASE.

I have driven home through floods and blown drain covers :roll:
    The newts in the pond are in danger of being washed away! to top it all the slugs have come out in force so for the first time this year and my cabbages are under attack. I tell you it is amazing how quickly they damage the veg plot.
    Toni can I borrow your Daisy for slug and snail patrol? My cat is usless. :(

Lv, Ix
  • annie_mial
    I'm not that keen on the run-of-the-mill variety of sweet potatoes, (OK mashed with butter and pepper) but I do like the one called Kumira (think that's how it spelled). It has a wonderful nutty flavour all it's own and is fantastic in salads or just plain boiled.

They are very hard to come by .......must have a look in Waitrose soon as I've found them in there before.

I would like to grow some of these, but have no idea where to start. Do I just bung a potato in a pot when it starts to sprout, or are there any mystic rituals I need to go through first?

Annie
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Can the rain dancers come to London we could do with some rain now.

Trish xx
  • frogmorton
    Hi All

RTehab I love sweet potaotoes - i like them roasted backed or mashed :D Yum and they are 'better for you' than ordinary spuds which i love too less fattening - not a problem for you I know. Thanks for teh advice - was hoping for more than 3 though :( I have two plants growing...

Ironic Daisy is on her way - She just loves the slugs :shock:

Annie my sweet potaotoes are called beauragard I think - eyesight is a bit iffy :lol::lol:

Trisher Cris has the rain - but she is trying to blow it yours and Jan's way :wink:

Love

Toni xxx
  • tillytop
    Afternoon all!

No,no,no Joanne - we don't want a garden disasters thread!!!!! So sorry bout your greenhouse but hope it is now fully secured and that your plants have all survived.

Annie and Toni, I didn’t realise that there were different sorts of sweet potato (duuuh) – so I have learned something today thanks!

Rehab - what's all this about "wimmin"? This is an equal opportunities garden I'll have you know!!!!

Toni, really think my blackfly is past help (and I'm now past caring!!!!) but toms are still fine and I have one changing colour now too. Mine are Sungold - my favourite! And I don't think you're obsessive about your "butts" - one can never have too many!

Ironic and Trish - sorry, was me doing the rain dance but my geography never was very good. I even hung out the washing which normally guarantees rain but still no joy. And my water butts are now completely empty!

Love Tilly x
  • frogmorton
    Rehab!!!

Stop telling porkies! As if anyopne would do such a foolish and halfwitted thing :roll:

Anyone know how to get yellow paint off skin??

Buttercup - oh I mean :oops:

Toni xx
  • tillytop
    So that's where I've been going wrong then!

As to the yellow paint Buttercup think you might be stuck with it - but it might make a rain-dance more effective so could you try it please? Still no sign of rain here and I just can't do any more watering!!!!!

Tilly x
  • loopylou
    loopylou Member Posts: 175
    I've been doing some gardening today. I'm not the most green fingered person in the world and have no clue what are plants and what are weeds in my garden. My housemate is the same so last night when her mum dropped her off after their families 'tuesday night club' she got her to come into the garden and give us some tips and advice. She pointed out all the weeds (which had grown into lovely looking plants we thought) so this pm I've pulled a load of them out. Also discovered we had a little conifer hidden behind a bush so cut the bush back aswell to give the poor little thing a chance. Garden is looking better. only wish we could do more with it, just pull everything out and start again but its rented and we don't want to get in trouble with our landlady!
    Lou
    -x-
    Just keep plodding along singing a song
  • frogmorton
    Hi Loopy

Good to see you in the garden :)

An Tilly this is me Rehab and Annie doing you a rain dance h040.gif

Please note the fading yellow of our skins.....

Buttercup :oops:
  • annie_mial
    Rehab, I'll have you know that all my herbs are planted according to the correct rituals.

The basics are much the same - I have to walk widdershins around the pot three times under a blue moon and carrying some white heather and a copper coin - but each one has it's own little quirk.

Harvesting is a good deal easier - I just go out with a pair of scissors!

Thanks for the link!

Annie
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Well Tilly, Toni enough of the rain dance!!! r015.gif OK?
    Just had another thunder storm and the heavens have openned.

Trisher, Cris blowing from the south, I'm blowing from the north so get your brolly ready. s065.gif

Loopy nice to see you are getting into the garden. Sounds as if you have made a good start. :lol:

Never had sweet spuds but they sound interesting.

PS, Thanks for Daisy, she has put my little Rover to shame :roll:
  • frogmorton
    Hi Ironic

Glad to hear Daisy has eaten a few - to be honest it's saved me a bob or two in cat food :wink:

Annie - Rehab

I think we are a tad odd d080.gif

Love

Toni xx