at the end of my tether! useless doc.

Options
chris7
chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
edited 11. Jul 2010, 03:21 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all

Not sure where to start here I have never needed to post on here before, but have to get this down further to my post on the helpline recently.

I spent the required 10 minutes as many of us do, pressing redial on the stroke of 8 this morning to try an get an appointment with my doc! Eventually getting her last one available since she was taking the afternoon off.

Already running 40 mins late I eventually get to see her. She didn't listen to a word I said about my recent visit to the Consultant, didn't ask a single question and when I asked, as he had suggested about some painkillers she had produced a prescription for Naproxen and Omeprazole before I had chance to ask her about the anti-depressants I have been taking and whether I should change them. Without a further word I was clearly dismissed.

I was out in 5 mins; less than the time it took me to get the damn appointment in the first place which was made all the worse by the fact that the previous patient had been with her 25 mins. Am I invisible?? It seems she was trying make up time before her next patient in order to get her afternoon off.

I no longer do tears at the surgery or in public since one memorable occasion when I lost it and could not stop, infront of a GP new to me who ended up putting me in a taxi, on my own and at my own expense and sent me to casually where I waited an hour for the duty psychiatrist to see me and send me home. I will never repeat that experience! So not for the first time I did the only sensible thing and left her office this morning and went straight to the Samaritans office for a damn good blub.

I have no idea what she has given me, only that it cost £14.40 I don't have. Add that to the repeat for Ibuprofen I picked up last week and assume I can no longer take I am £20.60 worse off and for what? Although I get working tax credit, I am apparently not entitled to free prescriptions! because I am not disabled.

I am sick of the whole thing and wish I had not bothered going to see her for making me feel much worse than I already do. Why do they do this? I am now sorely tempted to swallow all the bloody pills along with the bottle of wine I have just bought, and save the NHS the cost of the two hip replacements I am told I will need soon. My boss at the factory would get his wish to replace me and everyone would be happy.

Thanks for listening.
Chris

Comments

• theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    HI Chris

Please dont take all your pills. I know how you feel (and Im not just saying that check my previous postings)A few months ago I had a horrendous appointment at the hospital and felt just as you do now. I wondered whether I was invisible or paranoid, not a nice place to be either way.
    Life with arthur is such an uphill struggle at times but its so important to try remember the good. Is it worth you considering changing your GP /surgery as it seems they are not at all sympathetic (OMG to send you to casualty for crying) I would have a season ticket to A & E :lol: My GP just hands me a box of tissues and put a note on my notes to say book a double appointment for 20 minutes to accomodate when Im having down days. Can you take someone with you to the GP's for support and write down all the things you need to get sorted( I do this as my brain and me are not getting on and I forget things especially when in pain, tired or upset (often all of the above :oops: )
    Make a new appointment with the GP or a new one! and take a list of things to discuss and refuse to leave until all questions answered. I say bye to Mine then suddenly remember oh just one more thing :lol: I couldnt cope with a GP that didnt listen.
    Please PM me if you want to chat I do hope you fell better soon
    HUgs((()))Theresa x
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Aw, dear Chris,

I don't know what to say, I wish we lived nearer (although I do not know where you live, as you breathe a sigh of relief!!) :) and I would come and see you if you allowed. I know when you get in the doctors room it can all go pear shape and we are not forceful enough or just want to get out sometimes. No one wishes to cry in the surgery and I suppose this has not been helped by the one occasion when you did and how it was handled all wrong. I did twice and it was of benefit in the end. Perhaps it would have made your gp sit up, if you had done so. I too think that she was trying to make time up but that is not right. You are as important as the patient before regardless. I don't know what to suggest and it is a long weekend too which will not help. Can you see another gp this afternoon, if you can face it? Explain that your appointment was rushed. I really think you should regarding the anti depressants.

I wish I could make it all better or at least a tiny bit better for you.

I am able to send you cyber hugs though, which is not much, but I truly do feel so sorry for you and all that you are burdened with at the moment.

Lots of love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    Options
    [when I asked, as he had suggested about some painkillers she had produced a prescription for Naproxen and Omeprazole before I had chance to ask her about the anti-depressants I have been taking and whether I should change them. I have no idea what she has given me, Chris[/quote]

My dear Chris, I am a little bemused here about the meds situation. Good suggestion though, and I agree, go and chat with your local pharmacist regarding your meds if you are not sure about anything there.

Chin up, my lovely, please take a few deep breaths and stay with us, we will try to support you the best we can. You know who your friends are on here and you can count on them, promise. :)

Gentle hugs
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Chris, exactly a year ago to this month I was in the same place you are now and I had been there since the death of my mother some seven months previously.

Unaware that I was in fact suffering clinical depression I could not make the attempt to do anything positive (even taking all the cocodamols I had in the house) and it was only the fact that we were booked to go on holiday with some friends that eventually made me take action. For the first time in ten years I realised that I was dreading this as I would have to come out of the comfy shell I had built round myself and be bright and cheerful and holiday-ish - and DO things.

This realization made me understand that I had to get positive. I went back to the doctor's and more or less demanded attention. I had been seeing her every three weeks since the beginning of that year and I simply couldn't explain what was wrong cos I didn't know myself.

During that appointment she completely understood what I was now able to say and I was at last diagnosed correctly.

Sorry for the waffle, but the point I am trying to make is that you really need to go back to the doctor's and make a noise - be positive, in fact. That appointment you had was pants but you, and only you, can do anything about it. You were badly treated but only you can complain, so do it - at the top of your voice if necessary.

Being positive and assertive in those circumstances was the hardest thing I have done in the last twenty-odd years - I didn't sleep for two nights worrying about how I would try to explain. How silly can I get?

In the meantime, come on here and talk to us; you must know how much we miss you. We will give you all the love and support that we can here..........if you need moral support I'm sure a lot of us will with with you in spirit at any time.

I hope this helps a little...........
    Annie
  • ailsamary
    ailsamary Member Posts: 38
    Options
    ok i can say about the meds you've mentioned though still suggest speaking to the pharmacist, naproxen is a different form of non steriodal pain killer and DO NOT take with the ibuporfen as they together wil rot your stomach, however you can take a paracetamol based medicine as well if you need to,

the omeprazole is to protect your stomach from the meds you are taking, specifically the naproxen,

have you considered one of the pre payment thingys for your medicines, i am lucky enough to get mine free so isnt an issue for me

sorry you had such a crap time, and big hugssssssss
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Chris,

Oh flower I hate to see this happening to you I really do. I know all about useless doctors and how bad they make you feel. A ((((((((((( ))))))))))) and another for good measure ((((((((((( )))))))))))).

On the practical side

I think the naproxen will be ok but when you get it made up just ask the chemist just in case.

Your consultant will possibly not have sent his letter to the docs yet so maybe you could see a decent human being there in the mean time and talk things through a bit.

I thought working tax credits did mean free prescriptions and am shocked they don't. When your in the chemist ask for an H1 form, fill it in Chris cus with out my H2 I would not be able to have any of my tablets now a days. Its means tested but even a bit of help might ease it a bit.

I think you should self cert your self for a week off sick, I really do think that's fair and then go see a decent doctor and get a following time off sic as well. You sound absolutely at the end of your tether and Chris you need to rest up and just kick back to let your brain and body fight whats attacking it just now. Could you then get down to your sis fr a week as well?

Please phone the helplines Chris, they are so good at helping you work out a plan as well as being really supportive and there for you in the now.

I have a bit of spare this month if you need some for the meds just say.

Chris I know where your coming from cus I been there. I think a lot of us sadly have but I also know it will get easier for you as it did me and I was bags packed and on the train! You need kindness understanding and gentleness and not the attitude of that harpie you saw this morning. Is there any other doctors you can go see? I know sometimes there isn't but I also know how good it i to have human ones now.

Chris hang in there and please post again soon.

Love and another (((((( )))))) Cris who really wishes she was nearer and leaving you a pm please pick it up xxxx
  • elnafinn
    Options
    I agree with Annie, my lovely, you have to go back and stand up for yourself, difficult though that is, I know. One thing is for sure they will not be getting in touch with you.

If it makes it easier, write it all down and give the gp the letter.
    If you pour it all out in writing, that is the first step, you have been positive in taking that first tiny step. If you still cannot take the letter and present it to the gp, then post/fax it/ take it in to reception. You will get a response when the letter/fax has been read.

Sending you courage and strength,

Hugs
    Elna x

• angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    Whoa, slow down there a little bit sweetie, and let`s try and make some sense out of all of this.

First, a huge great hug for you. You know how special you are to me.

Now then, there`s absolutely nothing we can do about The Useless One, as she has taken her afternoon - and probably the whole Bank Holiday - off, so forget her for now.

Do you have a Walk-In Centre near you? It would be a good idea for you to go there for some advice. You can tell them that you were treated in such an offhand manner, that you need help regarding medication. if nothing else, it will help you to talk with someone, one to one. Someone with some empathy.

You did such a sensible thing going to Samaritans, and now you must keep on letting it all out. You have reached the end, dealing with so much on your own Chris. I was THRILLED to see you posting. We have all missed you so very much, and all the help you give us. We now want to return the favour, so please allow us to.

I will PM you very shortly........Much love.........Ange.
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Hold tight Chris, take the good advice that has been given to you today. You are worth more than an ignorant GP who cannot wait for their week end off. Sadly, some Drs have the bedside manner of a pit viper, it is far easier for them to hear one symptom and have the prescription already coming out of the printer. Their timekeeping and how late they are running, is not your problem, even if you seem to have felt the brunt of it this time.

Tears are fine too, we only take a certain amount and when you are in pain, low in mood and then get short shift from the Doctor, you do wonder what is the point. Now turn it on its head and take control of this horrid day. Think now, that you have the upper hand as you were given a dismissive time by the Dr. You are quite within your rights to speak to the practice manager, they are obliged to follow up any complaints. You can also speak to the PCT that covers your Drs surgery, none of them like bad feedback on their practices, as every complaint has to be logged and is looked at.

Ask to see another GP, perhaps there is one that you know will take the time to listen, or, ask for a longer appointment, another thing that you are entitled to.

I am sure most of us have had bad experiences with GP's and you come out thinking, they didn't listen to a word I said. Well, you have to make a fuss about it. Doctors choose their profession and are well paid as General Practitioners, to take the time and care to listen to their patients, sometimes they don't hold all the answers, but there are ways of making a person feel a bit better, just by their manner and approach. A smile and a welcome goes a long way and costs nothing. As a retired nurse, we used to get some proper ignorant junior Drs, twice a year they would turn up, but by the end of their stint on the wards, we had them treating patients like human beings.

Put a big X on today, tomorrow is another day. Take some time out, as has been suggested, do some different things, that are easy and don't aggravate any symptoms. When I get down to rock bottom, I force myself to scrub a sink, clear a cupboard, anything to break the cycle a bit.

Take lots of care, things will be ok. Lots of hugs XXX Bubbles.
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Don't do it. Don't give them the satisfaction of defeating you. You are far better than any of them will ever be.

Investigate a pre-payment certificate for meds. It saves a fortune - it costs £10.50 per month direct debit and is worth its weight in gold.

Try to see another doctor, this time giving them a letter explaining your feelings. That saves having to speak. Emergency services will be available over the week-end. Access those, or if you cannot cope with that, ask a friend to access on your behalf, stressing the distress you are under.

You know we're all here, post us whenever and wherever and someone will reply - they always do. I am on the receiving end of tremendous support I don't really deserve, being still a relative newcomer.

Don't do it. Don't give them the satisfaction of defeating you. You are far better than any of them will ever be. Dreamdaisy
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Chris,

I was so pleased to see you posting again, I've missed you on here.

There's nothing I can add to what wonderful advice you've had from the others, but would reiterate and say ring the Helpline, they may be just the people you need as a sounding board.

Please keep posting, we're here.

Luv Legs
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • elnafinn
    Options
    Dear Chris

I do hope that you are in contact with someone on here. Your friends are worried sick about you.

Love and hugs
    Elna x

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hi chris sorry gp was a waste of time but the naproxen should help i take it and if taken with decent meals do not always need stomache protector and yes it is ok to take paracetomol with it i phoned gp to check when had bad headache lol. so glad to see you back sorry for such a bad reason we are here for you keep in touch please val
    val
  • bubbles
    Options
    Chris, drop one of us a line to say how things are, we are all concerned for you.
  • skezier
    Options
    Hi Chris,

just dropping you in another ((((( ))))) and a hope your ok? Love Cris xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Our lovely Chris
    I was on my way to bed when I saw this, Chris I have been there, were you are now,we are all here for you, I know its something we say but its true we all support one another.
    These dreaded doctors, what we have to understand is the amount of people they see, I used to really let this get me down, but now I think they are not worth me getting upset.
    You take a deep breath write down what you want to say , and what you think they should do and go for it, I did this today at the pain clinic, and I came out feeling much better because I had my say.
    Chis I will pm you, and if you need to talk I will be hear has you are for me.
    You take care
    Love and hugs (((((((()))))))
    Barbaraxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm really sorry to hear how badly you were treated. Your GP should, of course explain the meds to you as you need to know. Why don't you go to the Chemist and talk to them about what medicines you should take. They really are experts on medication and often know more than GPs. My pharmacist has, in the past phoned the GP to check they have not written the wrong information and each time they have known more than the doctor!

Please don't do anything silly, or that you might regret. The advice about going back next week and talking to the doctor is good. Can you get a friend or someone to go with you for back-up? It does really help and they will help you to remember things you need to say and what the doctor has said to you.

Lots of love and good wishes. Sue xxxx
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Chris,

I'm sorry you had a such a negative experience at the docs. You poor thing. Everyone has given you such good advice so shall just send you ((((hugs)))).

Hang in there, it might not feel like it just now, but it WILL get better.

Keep reading and posting.We are all here for you.

Speedalong
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Dear all

I am so so sorry to have worried everyone here.

After posting this morning I crawled into bed and have only just looked in again. It was very stupid and selfish of me not to have got back sooner. Please forgive me and accept my very real apologies.

I will look at all the comments and advise properly tomorrow and try and post again and get back to the pm's. Feeling very ashamed to have worried everyone. I hope you will all understand.

Thank you
    Chris
  • jean123
    jean123 Member Posts: 642
    Options
    Just relieved that you are Ok, and hope that tomorrow brings a better day.

We are all here for you.

Jean and the forum team
  • skezier
    Options
    Hey Chris as long as your ok. ((((( ))))) xxx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    chris think nothing of it we were just worried about you take care we are here for you val
    val
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    Sleep some more Chrissie.......Nighty night........Much love.......Ange.HM.
  • bubbles
    Options
    Don't feel bad about it, you needed time, just as we all do. It is just our concerns. Rest well and have a good read tomorrow. Take lots of care and keep us posted. XXX Bubbles.
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Hey Chris,

I wish I could add more to what others have said, but I can't think of anything else to add to their good advice.

One thing I want you to know is that there are so many people who are really thinking about you, and who have really missed seeing you post on the forum.

thank you so much for posting when you needed us, and I hope we can be here for you in the same way that you have been here for us so many times in the past.

huge great hugs for you (((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))) and well if you need anyone to rant at please do PM me.

thinking of you and hoping you sleep the sleep that you need and tell that boss of yours you are too ill to work.

wonky xxxxx