Options
    Beautifully put, dorcas. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 24. Jul 2010, 04:54
    Options
    ...are none of us peeps living anywhere near Chris. :?:

maybe you would like to have someone with you for your next doc n other appointments. :wink: ?

we need a (real) rescue party

Iris xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I believe chris is in Yorkshire somewhere, I'm in Suffolk. You are in Scotland aren't you, dorcas? DD
  • dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    Options
    Yes, damsel.....wish I was nearer so if Chris wanted I / or someone could have visited or offered more support with appointments.

but in any case we can be 'in your pockets ' Chris for the next ones.... worked really well for me when I went to my recent hosp appointments and lots of peeps were 'with' me. x

even Cris was in the theatre when I had my op! xx

important thing is to know that you are not alone.

Iris xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello my love
    Sorry I am late seeing this, how lovely of DD to start this thread for you.
    I really wished there was more I could do,have you seen anyone that can advise on benefit when you have your THR, I know it will be hard, but you must have it done.
    Has you know mine is going on me all the time now, all because I have delayed having the op.
    I will email you today, and send you massive hugs...sorry my smileys wont work (((((((((()))))))
    I will be in touch very soon
    Lots of love
    Barbara xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    Options
    Thank's DD
    Hi Chris
    i hope you can get an appto see a nother doc
    ((((((CHRIS))))))
    take care i hope you write soon.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Thanks again all you lovely people.

Gee who been in since I last posted? June, Val, Elna, DD, Toni, Babycham, Brenda, Iris, Barbara and Joan. :D

Val thanks I though the min number of hours for WTC was 30 which is what I do at the mo? Must find out. I have usually found them ok when I phone.

Iris hope you are dressed ok today :lol: and wally behaving. Am totally confused with DLA believe me have always looked at the threads here. I see from the appeals I wouldn't stand a chance at getting it. Can I walk? Yes I HAVE too as don't drive. Work at the factory is 10 mins from where I live. Likewise the bus stop to get to the Sunday job. The questions I need on the forms is "do you manage to work an 8 hour day standing, but then find yourself crippled all evening? " YES! "Do you manage :? to do four days in a row and then find you can't get out of bed on Thursdays?" YES! These don't really cut it do they? :? Especially as like Hileena I am told I need both hips replacing and am still only on naproxen and paracetomol!! :shock: I clearly don't yet have the level of pain some of you have had to endure though I know I walk badly and often spend 20 mins trying to get in the bath or get my socks on!!. Think perhaps like Cris ( welcome back :D ) that it is only muscle holding me bones together!!.

The supermarket is again only a 10 minute walk, though I am now limited as to the small amount I can carry home without my knees buckling and end up buying bits at twice the price at the local shops on the way home most days. I am too damn obstinate to consider a shopping trolley!! Sorry am so confused on all this benefit stuff. As to a care component, forget it! If I can't get down to clean the kitchen floor or keep my garden tidy it just doesn't get done and who gives a damn when no one but me sees it.

Hopefully now the extra days work hours are over for now I will again get my Thurs and Friday back and will try get to CAB and see about the DEA appointment at the jobcentre if I can find it?. You have all given this good advise before but been too fed up to tackle it. Was going to say sorry there but might get another telling off :oops: As some of you know my days off turn into duvet days most of the time out of sheer necessity, exhaustion and fedupness as is today.

Anyway sorry I am blathering again. Thanks again DD, you know how much I have missed the forum and why but we won't go there. Please if anyone free I need you on the 5th Aug for return to the useless doc appointment which I am so not looking forward too.

Thanks Joan just seen you call in with a hug much appreciated at the moment.

Take care and many thanks again
    Chris xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    You don't know that you won't get DLA unless you apply. If it isn't granted, you appeal. DLA is there to help with costs: I use mine to pay for my cleaner, to pay for massages, to cover the cost of my PPC, taxi fares to the hospital if my car breaks down, etc etc etc. It is not means-tested, so you can work and claim. It's worth a bash. If you don't help yourself through obstinacy well, no-one else can help you either. I came to the conclusion years ago that it was up to me to find solutions and to hell with how things appear. I have a bright, bubblegum pink shopping trolley which I adore. It holds shopping and holds me up. Looks a damn sight better than crutches too.

Once arthritis claims you you have to learn to compromise. It's not easy, it causes huge resentment within one, but soon one realises that THAT is a waste of energy which could be better spent on other things. Hell girl, if it's taking you 20 minutes to get your socks on how much else are you struggling with? (I've given up wearing socks - on bad days knickers go out the window too!) Some degree of stubborness is required in our lives so that we do not let arthritis bully us into submission, but sometimes it can be taken too far: stop being so hard on yourself, chris. Let us take some of the strain, keep in touch with us, either here or PM people if that's more your thing: if we don't know how you are we can't do anything. There are some good suggestions on here - I wish I lived closer so that I could come with you to your appointments and help you with the forms etc. How about moving back to Newmarket? You'd be within arm's reach then! (Fatuous suggestion, I know: take no notice.) Thinking of you. DD
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Chris,

If its taking you 20 mins to get your socks on...... You know I think your pain relief is not good enough and I also think the gp's are out of order...... I know a thing or two about bad doctors and how low it makes you fall when they are so dismissive.

Like you I have to keep working cus I need the money and agree (in fact the doctors have said) if you are working you are not that bad is how its viewed.... however destitution would be harder! I do get cross! Let them try it for just a day and see how they feel then..... Sorry diverted a bit :oops:

Try the CAB or Dial and see if you can get a bit of help. Worth ago I think..... I know WTC for me was rejected on the grounds my income has dropped too low but I would have thought you would have qualified and that's definitely worth ago.

About the pain control...... I wonder if you could phone and ask to speak to your consultant maybe? No gp lightly overrides a consultant however unless they are (see I learned something with the old gp's!)

I wish I could think of something else...... but i will be in the pocket on the 5th as well and if needed e can all get out and kick them! Chris just remember you are not alone. ((((( ))))) Cris and her 2 tin cans with string :wink: xxxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Chris

Now actually you sound as though you are developing a plan :)

This is good :wink:

I have to say CAB is the first port of call. Once you get an apt there and booking these days is essential they will know a lot of what you need.

I think you will still get wtc like I did wftc when I had back op and I got SSP too so see what that is. I also think Cris may be right about DLA - it's not all about walking - a lot is personal care too. Still that's CABs area of expertise not mine :)

Oh Chris I want you to get sorted because I like you and you shouldn't be in such pain :?

Love

Toni xx
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Options
    Thanks DD, Cris, Toni (and Rob bless ya)

DD I love it when you get forceful and I do wish you all did live nearer to give me a kick up the bum and get me to appointments in the right frame of mind. Never been good at asking for help and still getting used to the fact that peeps on here actually want, and like to help! :oops: Been so many years since anyone actually listened.

Cris glad the tin cans working at the moment. Hope the sale was a good one for you today? Re the sock thing. Not sure if this makes sense but I wake up like an ironing board and can sometimes take forever to get mobile enough to get em on! Can't tell you how delighted I was to discover velcro and slip on trainers :D No shoelaces to keep tying. The short walk to work usually gets me moving and by 10ish I am usually almost walking normally :shock:
    The trick is not to sit down, or else the warm up has to start all over again. Lunchtime is tricky but we only get half an hour which helps. However once I get home the knees are screaming and I am doing my Max Wall impression again!!! (sorry any youngsters looking in you will have to google him :lol: )

Yes Toni, think I would get SSP if off for an op but assume this is pro rata re part time hours? and would be a pittance. Will check if the WTC still applies that would help. Wondering now if I should be getting Council tax cheaper as on low income? Well you have got me thinking guys thank you. The sad thing is the only DD I feel I could cancel is the one to a charity I started when I turned 40 ten years ago to adopt a little girl in Tanzania. I just can't give that up. Oops sorry rambling again.

Anyway thanks for the push here, I do need it.

I promise ( who said that? :? ) that I will phone the CAB on Thurs or Friday next week and try get an appointment. Will someone PLEASE remind me of that so I don't weasel out of it. Have just googled to find they open at 9.15.

Thanks again
    Chris xx
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    Options
    Oh Chris, so glad you are taking the bull by the horns and beginning to take control. I'm sure there will be enough of us around to give you reminders when you need them

Lovely to see you posting again, too. Do pop in and have a cuppa sometime and see the garden at the cafe.

Love
    Annie
  • speedalong
    speedalong Member Posts: 3,315
    Options
    Hi Chris, great that you are posting again.

Sounds like you feel like life's challenges are spiralling out of control ... I've had that feeling before and you can't see the wood for the trees. But you have been given some great advice. You need to prioritise it - make a list - small steps - so you can tick off each small step to getting things sorted. After you have contacted the CAB and the disability officer to get advice I would recommend you ask in writing your consultant for an OT appointment as they will come and advise and provide you with some gadgets to help you. In the meantime you could buy a sock-puter-oner and a helping hand grabber online ... and with very little practise you will be able to put your socks on (on a bad day) in just a few mins ... DD is right you know - get a shopping trolley or if you really can't bear one - what about a suitcase on wheels with a handle? (My friend bought me one for my 40th for transporting all my school stuff - made a MASSIVE difference, up to then was struggling with a stacking box and carriers.)

Keep reading and posting.

Have you thought of ringing the helpline - they might be able to suggest someone in your area who can go with you to your appointment. Or give you a number of a local advocate who could go with you.

Speedy
    I have had OA since mid twenties. It affects my hips and knees. I had a THR on the left aged 30 and now have a resurface-replacement on the right - done May 2010.
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    HI Chris,

so sorry to see the detail of what has been going on and so furious again on your behalf :shock: :shock: :shock: :x :x :x

so pleased to see that you are developing a plan with the help of the peeps on here.

I am sorry that you are being treated like this and part of me thinks you need to change docs, but perhaps not right now - your priorities are some of the other battles I think.

If the counselling didn't help I wonder if CBT might be a better option for you? As you know I have just finished a course of CBT and whilst it is not fun (or easy) it deals with things in a very different way to counselling. Only trouble is that your GP would need to refer you :roll: :roll:

keep posting and keep thinking of ways to get round things ...... we're all here for you and will help any way that we can.

loads of hugs ((((())))))

WOnky
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    Hi Chris,

Good idea to see about the council tax rebate. The CAB can help you with that too. You are going to have to make a list out for when you get an appointment.
    Glad you are getting a plan together. The fighting spirit is still there I know :wink: We are all behind you Chris, hope you know that.
    Hope the rest of the weekend goes ok for you.

With love, from Ix
  • jenfa1
    jenfa1 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Hi Chris
    newbie here - what is THR? You are all so knowlegable and sometimes talk in code I'm not sure I am understanding so much!

Hope you feeling better today Chris
    Jen
  • ironic
    ironic Member Posts: 2,361
    Options
    jenfa1 wrote:
    Hi Chris
    newbie here - what is THR? You are all so knowlegable and sometimes talk in code I'm not sure I am understanding so much!

Hope you feeling better today Chris
    Jen

Hi Jen, THR is hip replacement. Hope you are ok ish. Glad you are asking questions. Not easy to follow some of the threads I know. :roll:

Lv Ix
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Sorry Chris, come late into this thread but just wanted to say that I'm so sorry you are still having such a tough time and that I am thinking of you.

Love Tillyx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Chris

I can feel it in your tone that you actually belive there is hope.

Def check out wtc - i got my WFTC with my back and I rang them and asked theem

This is beginning to look possible to me :D:D

CAB here you come and if the kids weren't on school hold up the M1 I'd be :wink:

Love and hugs

Toni xx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Dear Chris

So pleased you appear stronger today with some ideas to look into, please do carry them out. Promise :?: :wink::) If you do not ask, you will not get, will you? An OT can give you a "helping hand" grapper for free along with other useful gadgets that may well make life easier for you.

I was not on here yesterday because we looked after Lola all day, overnight and up until now. The pc is in the room where she sleeps The "children" went to a friends wedding, reception and then had a lie in this morning! :wink::)

Peace reigns again now and I see Lola again on Wednesday. :D

Keep calling in to us, dear Chris and we will all try to keep you buoyant and on the right track.

Lots of love and hugs
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello Chris, I am so sorry about the rough patch, but as others say making plans is a start, even if you don't follow them through, but the DLA, you really should have a go at.

I'm thinking of you and hoping that things soon pick up for you. I know a bit how you feel as I had a crap consultant rheummy appointment a couple of weeks ago. I could have hit the smug bar***d :shock: Looking down his long, ugly nose. Ah, that makes me feel better, being offensive!!! :lol:

Keep in touch, we are all thinking of you and wanting to know how things are going for you. Lots of love and hugs, Sue xxxxxx((((((((())))))))) Take care. Love Sue
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Chris I can imagine you are in terrible pain. Claiming DLA is not easy but worth a try. My form was quite short this time but I agree the fact we can walk a certain distance doesnt mean we can do it everyday and at all times but they dont seem to understand that. However with mobility you could qualify for a car or use the money for taxis(expensive but better than the bus and walking). You could even lessen your hours. However there is still a lot of effort involved in getting the forms completed as I am currently finding out.
    All employers are freezing rises in the current economic climate and they know you need the work.
    With your hips done you will find life easier so we do need to get this sorted but completely understand the difficulties you could face during recovery. You wont be able to work and will need lots of rest but I did find the reduction in pain enabled me to do much more than previously even after the first few days after the op.The hospitals are very dismissive about after carel, hardly bothered to mention it to me cos I live with partner, which as you know doesnt mean you will be adequately cared for.
    Lets not give up. Lets work from here......
    Best wishes
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    Chris Re; CAB.
    You might have problems gettimg through on the phone. I have been told to visit the local CAB office at 9.30 and join a queue and only then will I get a 5 min appointment with an advisor before they decide on further appointments.
    Hope you do get through on the telephone but its a bit like your Doctors- hit and miss. I could not get through.
    I will let you know how I get on,
    Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    Options
    chris my pall, i tryed to find you on face book hun, where you go !???? :(

always here for you hun xxxxx

Hi Jan,

Shes gone from my facebook page too. She did say she didnt use it very much. Cant see her listed on Robs friends list either.

Elizabeth

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tarasmygirl
    tarasmygirl Member Posts: 70
    Options
    Hi Chris

Bigs HUGS from me. hope you get a sympathetic doctor who can give you the support you need.

Cath