Val's Cafe

Options

Comments

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

Daily Poem (Maya Angelou was an amazing poet, an amazing woman, an amazing person).

PHENOMENAL WOMAN BY MAYA ANGELOU

Pretty women wonder where my secret lies.

I’m not cute or built to suit a fashion model’s size

But when I start to tell them,

They think I’m telling lies.

I say,

It’s in the reach of my arms,

The span of my hips,

The stride of my step,

The curl of my lips.

I’m a woman

Phenomenally.

Phenomenal woman,

That’s me.

I walk into a room

Just as cool as you please,

And to a man,

The fellows stand or

Fall down on their knees.

Then they swarm around me,

A hive of honey bees.

I say,

It’s the fire in my eyes,

And the flash of my teeth,

The swing in my waist,

And the joy in my feet.

I’m a woman

Phenomenally.

Phenomenal woman,

Barbara, you are one of the members who answer most regularly, I'm really chuffed with you and all the cafe dwellers. How old will Niamh be this birthday? However, she is an absolute gem and we love hearing tales of Niamh.

Toni, As Sleek says, "Mummy Arnty Kaff loves mee bestest'. too right dear Sleek. I know I'm being a bit bossy about those Ceakies who never post, but I've put a lot of work and research intending it to be of benefit to them and not even a 'like'. My friends on here always show appreciation for that. Thank you dearies. 💕

Joan, dad is talking about cutting his grass again. 🙄 Anita is doing very well, she's back at work again. Here are two photos from Emily. One wearing one of the masks she has made. One of her garden.

It is full of strawberries, raspberry canes and some vegetables. When the weather is good, they have their meals outside.

Sweet Potato, Spicy Black Beans & Guacamole

This is a great mid-week meal as it's easy, healthy and delicious. You can cheat all the way with this recipe by buying ready-made refried beans and guacamole so it can be even quicker and easier. If you do the full version, it's still simple and the combination of flavours is amazing! 

Ingredients: 

• 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes

Bean mix (for a really quick meal, buy pre-cooked refried beans)

• 1 tin (400g) black beans, drained and rinsed
    • 1 tsp paprika
    • 1 tsp ground coriander
    • ½ tsp ground cumin
    • 1 tbsp lime juice
    • 1 tsp brown sugar or vegan syrup (eg agave or maple etc)

Guacamole (for a really quick meal, buy pre-prepared guacamole or a plain avocado)

• 2 small ripe avocados
    • 1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely diced
    • ½ red onion, finely diced
    • Bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped including stalks
    • Juice of 1 lime
    • Extra virgin olive oil
    • Pinch of salt

Serving suggestions: fresh chilli, fresh coriander, vegan sour cream, nachos, salsa, grated vegan cheese, lime 

Method: 

1. Preheat the oven to 180º/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. 
    2. Stab the potatoes a couple times with a fork and then pop them in the oven for around 45 mins or until soft in the middle. 

Spicy bean mix

1. Heat a little oil in a small saucepan on a medium heat and add the spices. Lightly fry for 30 seconds - 1 minute and then add the black beans.
    2. Cook the beans for around 5 minutes, stirring throughout.
    3. Add the lime juice and sugar, then cook for a further couple of minutes.

Guacamole 

1. Mash the avocado to the consistency of your choice.
    2. Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and season to taste.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• CatLady1
    CatLady1 Member Posts: 64
    Options

Yes I did it!! Charged my w/chair. Thought it might be good if I got out one of my new blouses, it's one that is longer at the back and covers my bumps and lumps. Off I went -out of our main entrance - no turning back. Had three or four stops as my hand was playing up. Forgot to put the other control ball on the chair, I need the bigger one as I think it will bed easier. I had forgotten how friendly the village is. The few people who were out and about all spoke to me. Had a table reserved for me in the car park. She has 10 benches combined with the tables at the top of their car park. Really social distanced. Only thing was the sun umbrella wouldn't stay open. Clair, the landlady, was up by the tables, showed where she had put me and took my drinks order. Naughty me - vodka with a glass full of coke . I was surprised there were 4 groups there already. It was good to see I wouldn't on my own as I booked for 4pm. I had chicken covered with bacon and home made chunky chips with the skins on. It was a large plate filled full. Thought I'd go the full hog and have a sweet. Chocolate fudge cake with cream. then a latte to finish my time out. By the time I left nearly 21/2hrs later there was about only one table free. Every one was so chatty. Didn't know any of them but I was included in the different conversations. When home I felt really relaxed and happy. I shall definitely go when they have another Saturday doing food.

Joan, I live in a little village, No I think they may call it a large village - it's Burbage. Such a friendly happy place where everyone is so friendly. I've only been here nearly 7yrs. Love it.

Thanks Toni ((())) Carol ((())) Kath ((())) Joan ((())) Barbara ((())) Mike ((())) and ((()) to anyone else who comes on to the Café.

Going to REST now as my neck and shoulder are giving me hell. I have lots of note to read which I've written down during a meeting.

Take care and stay safe. Gentle hugs. Chris.

• Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options

Evening all

We had a good time away didn’t want to come home we arrived back home about 3.45pm on Friday we have both been shattered since. Unfortunately on Thursday lunch time grandson rings us and tell us he is unwell he has Covid like symptoms, he had a home test kit arrive the next day so is now Awaiting to get result. Keeping fingers crossed it comes back negative. I am sick of this b*****y virus now they are saying Boris may tell over 50s May to stay at home and isolate again It feels like all those weeks isolating before we’re for nothing. I’m not sure if is all over 50s or just the Extremely vulnerable ones who were shielding before. So after a good week I am now down in the dumps again. But I must not let it get me too down. We must wait and see what happens. I think my problem Is that mr t will not discuss what is happening with this virus so I have no idea what he thinks About it all. I am really just trying to cope on my own. Sorry about that little rant. I am feeling sorry for myself At the moment.

My physio lady would be proud of me the amount of exercise and walking I have been doing this past week. And although my joints are weary the aches and pains are not too bad. Today has been a rest day.

I don’t remember who ask if the great granddaughter with the curly toes was Rubie whoever asked it isn’t Rubie it is Graycie. They are both so alike.

Next week is a week of Birthday. Today would have been my aunties birthday the one who passed away a little while back. We then have Mr Ts birthday on the 6th, Kians on the 7th and youngest granddaughters boyfriend on the 8th then Rubies on the 11th. Presents for Mr T and the kids are all organised. The other adults in the family do not get presents on birthdays Unless it is a big one. it gets too expensive. Both GS and GD ordered the presents for Kian and Rubie On my suggestion and I have just transferred the money to their accounts. As for Mr t we usually have a meal out on our birthdays and he pays on both occasions. I have told him I will pay for the meal instead this time. Which saves me wondering what to buy him.

Catlady your meal sounded fantastic. I think most place Selling food are being good with the social distancing it just the people who don’t abide by the rules When they get there That are the problem. When we were away We had to do all meal out as the hotel restaurant was not open as it is very small. We had most evening meals and one breakfast at the local Wetherspoons. In Ramsgate Which is a large place. I will try to find a picture of it for next time I post

well that’s about it for now from me love and sparkles to you all ❤️❤️❤️🌈🌈🌈

Stay positive always👍xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 2. Aug 2020, 20:11
    Options
    Evening all..
    Chris you did it..now next time will be much easier ..wow the meal sounded nice and washed down with vodka...get you..and a good pud this is what life is about making the most of it..xx
    Kath i love the poem..i have never gad confidence and always picked holes in the way I looked..so it was brilliant to read that
    Emily garden it lovely..and the photo of her gosh she looks like you..and please tell her i love her blogs..and Niamh will be 8..cant quite believe it..xx
    Thankyou for the Sweet Potato, Spicy Black Beans & Guacamole xx
    Toni thankyou for the Scottish breakfast you are keeping us well fed....yes we will get a cake..for Niamh and she is having a small trampoline ..i take my hat off to our carers..having mask on in this weather..i hope they are being tested ..to be honest it's not been mentioned..i had better ask..
    Love to P and all of you xx
    Joan thankyou you are kind..Cant believe Niamh will be 8..i was there when she was born the only birth I have seen..love to all of you xx
    love yo everyone
    Xxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options

Back in 1/2 an hour am on Church porch duty just leaving breakfast for everyone first

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,933
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath lovely photo's of Emily ((())) and her garden. Your Dad is good cutting his garden ((())) love to Chris ((())) how is his leg love to Anita ((()))) back at work and Val ((())) thank you for the creakies.

Chris ((())) that's good you enjoyed the meal I have heard of where you live.

Carol((()) yes I'm fed up with the virus happy birthday to Mr T ((())

Barbara ((())) is it tomorrow Niamh's birthday to morrow. Love to Mr T((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni ((())) love to Paul ((())) Charley and her girlfriend ((())) Tia ((())) Lucy ((()) Prom (((()))

. Bill ((()))Mig ((())) Aidan (((())))

take care
    joan xx
  • frogmorton
    edited 3. Aug 2020, 09:57
    Options

Hi Joan the meal was yum thanks I have some left for today! I have to agree the virus is so annoying, but still better safe than sorry we do not want to catch it 😕

Kath I love the poem what a talented and beautiful lady she is!

Love Emily's garden too she's got her love for outside from her Mum. My kind of garden that English country garden-esque 🙂 Should ahve a mixture of plants and veg and fruit it's lovely. The face-masks are good too I have one that shape I have 5 now in total very useful to have extra for washing.

Good to hear Anita is back at work and doing well and Dad wants to cut his lawn again!

Sleek loves her Arnty Kaff too . She says she'll be over later wants to watch something on telly with you not sure what? I know what you mean about our 'lurkers' you work so hard, but you know they are getting the benefit of your efforts at least now. We appreciate you!

I have never had anything other than avocado guacamole! very happy to try something new thank you 🥑

Well DONE 👏Chris! That sounded like a fabulous meal out I am totally impressed i bet you were exhausted when you got to bed!

The food sounded lovely, and plentiful but over 2.5 hours easily do-able! Landlady looked after you well and your 'neighbours' at the other benches all including you!

Burbage sounds a lovely village such nice people all chatting to you. Yes the larger ball on your chair will definitely be less uncomfortable to steer, but of course you aren't used to it anyway after all this time inside.

Now Carol don't get too down ((()))🌈🌈 you have us. I think the over 50's theory is just an idea if things look worrying. I hope not as Paul needs to work and is nearly 60!

Fingers firmly crossed for GS🤞did you see him at all because if you did will you ave to self isolate too. He would never forgive himself if he is positive.

A lot of men avoid talking about things that worry them they think it's tempting fate or something, but we will talk you can share your fears and frustrations with us you know that ((()))

Wow birthday-month for you! At least the Gkids are sorting out for you with the money you've transferred. Good idea to pay for your meal out then you only have to sort Mr T a card. 🎂

Your physio will be thrilled with you and might say move down there if it gives you all that exercise! I know a lot of it is actually getting there and back really.

please STAY WELL!

Hi Barbara I think you look fabulous! But we are all hard on ourselves in my experience🙄

Niamh 8! Wow! Extra special to have been there at her birth. That's a shock time really does fly. A trampoline is a really good idea it should burn off some of her energy she will LOVE it!

There is is a trampoline! I think you should get off it though really ....

I know wearing a mask😷 full stop is hard imagine having to do strenuous work! I'm sure they will be being tested.

Love to everyone

• Turbogran
    Options

Morning just a quick one as I have to go and collect one of my meds this morning after a bit of a mix up With it. But just to say GS has had his Covid test come back NEGATIVE we are so glad, and yes Toni we did see him but a least we were outside when we met him. Because the kids were on the beach. Will be back later. Love and sparkles. ❤️❤️🌈🌈

Stay positive always👍xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem (written this morning, so it's a bit rough and ready0.

Cafe friends

She sits in the garden with her nan.

Our friend Niamh, eating jam and toast.

But her favourite is a tasty roast

our little friend Niamh.

And of course here’s young sleek,

opens her eyes to have a peek,

Makes sure we’re all safe

from the outdoor cats.

Their constant howling drives us bats.

So with all the Creakies and all in Val’s Cafe

we gather together and have a good laugh.

Forget about shielding and self isolating,

let’s enjoy the sun, and lay here baking.

Carol, it was I who thought the curly toes was Rubie, so it was Graycie. The are so alike, but great gran can tell them apart.

Chris, well done on your trip out. I hope you're rested now.

Toni, I think Sleek is coming over to watch Perry Mason with me. It's on at 3 followed by another episode at 4pm, so I'll make her a Sardine and Tuna Latte. She's really good at working out 'who dunnit'.I hope she'll enjoy my latest poem.

Joan, I thought you would enjoy the photos.

Barbara, so Niamh is 8. she is growing fast. I hope she gets her trampoline.

Eggs florentine on muffins

Category: Breakfast | Serves: 2

Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 15 minutes

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons reduced-calorie mayonnaise (choose a dairy-free version if catering for a dairy-free diet)

1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, or to taste

1-2 tsp chopped fresh parsley or chives

Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

100g (3 1/2oz) baby spinach leaves, rinsed

4 eggs

2 English muffins (white or wholemeal)

1. Combine mayonnaise, mustard, herbs and black pepper in a small dish.
    2. Put rinsed spinach in a saucepan; cover and cook for about 3 minutes or until tender. Drain well, squeeze out water; keep warm.
    3. Meanwhile, cook eggs to your liking in an egg poacher (according to instructions).
    4. Split muffins in half; toast. Top each muffin half with some spinach and an egg; season with black pepper. Spoon flavoured mayonnaise alongside; serve immediately.

Variations

• 4 uncut crumpets (2 per serving) can be substituted for the muffins.
    • Try using a quarter-teaspoon of grated lemon zest instead of mustard.

Lemon-blueberry pancakes

Category: Breakfast | Serves: 2 (4 pancakes)

Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 10-15 minutes

INGREDIENTS

For the lemon-blueberry sauce

40g (1 1/2 oz) caster sugar

4 tbsp water

55g (2oz) fresh blueberries

1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice

For the pancakes

55g (2oz) self-raising flour

15g (1/2 oz) caster sugar

1 tsp finely grated lemon zest

4 tbsp semi-skimmed milk

1 egg

55g (2oz) fresh blueberries

1 1/2 tsp sunflower oil

1. To make the sauce: Put sugar and water in a small saucepan; heat gently until sugar has dissolved, stirring. Add blueberries; bring to the boil and bubble over a medium heat for 2-4 minutes until syrup has thickened slightly. Stir in lemon juice; heat again until bubbling. Remove from heat, set aside and keep warm.
    2. To make the pancakes: Sift flour into a bowl; stir in sugar and lemon zest. Add milk and egg; whisk to make a smooth batter. Stir in blueberries.
    3. Heat oil in a large, non-stick frying pan.
    4. Spoon in all of the batter to make 4 mini pancakes, keeping them apart. Cook over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes. Carefully turn over; cook for 1-2 minutes until golden brown.
    5. Place 2 pancakes on each serving plate; drizzle over sauce and serve immediately.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    Options
    Evening all..anothet lovely day with a breeze.. i am sat in the shed listening to the birds.,:)
    Toni so it was church duty for..i am sure every penny will help..
    Thankyou for breakfast ..tiast and strawberry..prefer jam though..hahaha..sorry I'm being picky..
    Yes I suppose we are hard on ourselves its only has i have got older that I realised how daft it was...it was lovely being at the birth..and so funny when she appeared face down trying to look up to see were she was.hahaha xx
    Kath a brilliant poem and Niamh us definatly a roast kid....would you believe i have never had eggs florentine..never fancied it but hear its good if done properly..I am glad to hear Anits us back at work..it will take her mind off things..hope Chris's legs is feeling better xx
    Carol sorry your gs was poorly but really pleased he hasn't got the virus..i see you are working hard at the physio..good for you xx
    Joan yes its Niamhs Birthday tomorrow but she is in Blackpool with her mum..but we will hopefully see her her wed..love to all of you xx
    I am off for a cuppa
    Love to everyone
    Xxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Carol that's great news indeed!!!! NEGATIVE is what we wanted to hear. Outside should have been safe for you anyway I think, but either was such a relief!

Annoying when meds get mixed up and you have to sort it. I don't know whether they realise how much is stresses us! See you soon ((()))

Kath Sleek is totally preening today! After that poem ( I rather like it too😉 thank you some one has her mojo back!). Strutting about she is and yes it is Perry Mason she likes. She's always been the same spotting 'who-dunnit' before anyone else 🙄 She is looking forward to her latte and will rinse the cup out herself so it's not too whiffy😺

COVID free beach that is I'm sure! No Virus in our café at all.

What recipes! Now Paul loves egg florentine he really does so he will be thrilled. I am going to pop a slice or two of avodaco underneath mine and we will be sorted thank you!

Barbara people can't put any money in the collection atm with Church being closed. Also we haven't got the cart open as we don't want passers by coming along..... so the Porch it is! As you say every penny counts.

So Niamh was even nosing at her own birth?!! Go her i bet you knew she would be lively straight away. What a special day. I was there for my middle niece's birth that was special too 🙂

It's when you look back at pics and see....oh I wasn't at all fat or I was actually quite pretty, but at the time. We are all the same I think. P always tells me to enjoy myself/skin/body as it is now bless her.

Hi Joan I hope all is ok with you and Sue and your carers are all still keeping well? ((()))

Love to Chris I hope you' had a good day yesterday recovering from Sunday's escapades!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Toni (((())) you are helpful in the village I wonder what they did before you moved there. Love to Paul ((())) Charley ((())) and her girlfriend ((())) Lucy ((())) Tia ((())) yes the carers are well thank you.

Carol ((())) I hope your meds are sorted now love to Mr T (((()))

Kath ((())) lovely poem we don't know what any bodies like but we are good friends love to Chris (((()))Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and your Dad (((()))

Barbara ((())) how are your fish love to Mr B ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Bill ((()))Mig ((())) Chris ((())) Aidan

take care
    joan xx
  • CatLady1
    Options

Hi everyone

Today is lazy and relaxing. Yesterday was very hectic. I never had time to look at the bits and bobs on the internet. So I dedicated today as a "me day". Just doing what I feel like and if that's nothing but playing games on the net it will be. My lovely neighbour NOT was saying this morning that she had to build her walking up. Just proves her ankle and foot were exaggerated. Asked about me walking further. Guess what - I just changed the subject!! At the moment it's far enough for me to do my walk round the scheme.

Saturday I will be going out again. I just fancy another meal cooked for me. I've booked my seat in the garden for 4pm. Wow I'm getting adventurous.

Think I'd best go for a walk now rather than later. Not sure what the weather is going to do. We had lovely sun first thing now it's dark and very cloudy.

Pleased Carol that your GS's test came back negative. I don't know about anyone else but I am getting more than a little p...ed off with the virus. Nothing on the news but gloom about it and the positive testing. FB is the same. Wish things were more positive, but then again some like to spend their days being negative.

I'm just wondering if my Christmas cruise will still be on. If it is I will go, if not I'm not too concerned - I can book another when it's safer.

Take care all you cafe friends. Stay safe. Hugs to Toni ((())) Kath ((())). Joan. ((())) Carol ((())). Barbara. ((())) Mike. ((())). and to everyone else who pops in.

Chris 😘😘

• Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem

After Apple-Picking

BY ROBERT FROST

My long two-pointed ladder's sticking through a tree

Toward heaven still,

And there's a barrel that I didn't fill

Beside it, and there may be two or three

Apples I didn't pick upon some bough.

But I am done with apple-picking now.

Essence of winter sleep is on the night,

The scent of apples: I am drowsing off.

I cannot rub the strangeness from my sight

I got from looking through a pane of glass

I skimmed this morning from the drinking trough

And held against the world of hoary grass.

It melted, and I let it fall and break.

But I was well

Upon my way to sleep before it fell,

And I could tell

What form my dreaming was about to take.

Magnified apples appear and disappear,

Stem end and blossom end,

And every fleck of russet showing clear.

My instep arch not only keeps the ache,

It keeps the pressure of a ladder-round.

I feel the ladder sway as the boughs bend.

And I keep hearing from the cellar bin

The rumbling sound

Of load on load of apples coming in.

For I have had too much

Of apple-picking: I am overtired

Of the great harvest I myself desired.

There were ten thousand thousand fruit to touch,

Cherish in hand, lift down, and not let fall.

For all

That struck the earth,

No matter if not bruised or spiked with stubble,

Went surely to the cider-apple heap

As of no worth.

One can see what will trouble

This sleep of mine, whatever sleep it is.

Were he not gone,

The woodchuck could say whether it's like his

Long sleep, as I describe its coming on,

Or just some human sleep.

Toni, I really enjoyed my TV session with young Sleek, she's as sharp as a knife and remembered all the clues. There's another couple of episodes this afternoon, same time as yesterday. She's welcome any time. I think she got her observational skills from Tosca, who I know she misses desperately (as do we all). Thank you for the scrambled egg on toast, yummy. I'm pleased you enjoyed my new poem. 🤗

Barbara, so Niamh is a roast kid! How do you get her in the oven? Hahaha. I hope you are enjoying sitting in your shed. It must be so nice listening to the birds, and hearing your little waterfall.

Joan, we certainly are good friends and we all really care for each other. I'm happy you enjoyed the poem too. I know I didn't mention everyone by name, but you are all included.

Carol, I'm very happy to hear your GS was negative for Covid.

Chris, I do hope the weather remains good for your meal in the garden. It's all doing the economy good and enabling everyone to get to some kind of normality.

Tex-Mex Summer Salad

SERVES: 4

Ingredients:

The Salad:

340g (12oz) canned sweetcorn, drained

75g (2.6oz) finely chopped onion

400g (14oz) canned black beans, drained

1 jalapeño pepper, chopped (with the seeds if you like it hot) – optional

1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped

150g (5.3oz) cherry tomatoes, halved

The Dressing:

350ml (12.3floz) lime juice (fresh)

2 tsp olive oil

1 tsp mild chili powder

1/2 tsp cumin

1/4 tsp pepper

A tiny sprinkle of salt

Method:

Put the drained sweetcorn directly into a bowl. Add the onions, beans, jalapeño (optional), red bell pepper, and the chopped cherry tomatoes and set aside.

For the dressing: Combine ingredients in a small bowl and mix well.

Pour the dressing over the corn and beans mixture and toss. Let the salad sit in the refrigerator for an hour, or even overnight before serving.

Vegan Apple Pie with Coconut Oil Crust

Description

A classic holiday dessert, made vegan! This recipe is perfect for fall, easy to make and damn delicious. Instead of vegan butter, the crust is made by using coconut oil, which results in a perfectly flaky pie crust to surround the sweet and juicy apple filling. Get ready to fall in love with this vegan dessert!

Ingredients

Crust:

• 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons raw cane sugar (or organic cane sugar)
    • 3/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1 cup solid coconut oil*
    • 6–8 tablespoons ice water*

Filling:

• 4 1/2 cups thinly sliced & peeled apples (We used an equal mix of gala and granny smith)
    • 1/4 cup raw cane sugar (or organic can sugar)
    • 1/4 cup light brown sugar, tightly packed
    • 3 tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
    • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Top with (optional):

• Unsweetened almond milk
    • 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar

Instructions

1. Prepare the crust: In a large bowl, mix together the all-purpose flour, cane sugar, and salt until uniform. Cut in the coconut oil using either a party cutter or a fork, and continue doing so until the mixture reaches a sand-like consistency. Add in the ice water, 2 tablespoons at a time, until the dough is moist enough to form a ball. We used 8 tablespoons in total. Shape the dough into a disk, wrap it in plastic wrap*, and place it into the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to set.
    2. In the meantime, mix everything together for the filling in a large bowl and then set it aside until the dough is ready.
    3. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and allow it to rest for 10 minutes. In the meantime, grease a pie pan and preheat the oven to 400°F.
    4. Divide the dough into 2 pieces. Flour a clean work surface and roll out one half of the dough from the center to the edges, picking up and rotating dough as you go. Be sure to keep work area and rolling pin floured to prevent sticking. Wrap dough around rolling pin and unwrap it into a greased pie pan (refer to video). Gently press the crust into the pan. This will form the bottom crust.
    5. Roll out the second half of the dough as you did with the first, but then using a sharp knife or a pizza cutter, cut it into ½-1” strips. Create a lattice (woven pattern) on top of the pie by weaving the strips over the pie. Tuck in the edges of the strips and press them into the bottom crust. Crimp the edges as best you can to ensure that the crusts stick together. Check out a video on how to lattice a pie crust here
    6. Using a pastry brush, brush the pie crust with a thin layer of almond milk. Sprinkle liberally with the turbinado sugar. Cover the rim of the pie with a pie ring or foil to ensure that the crust does not burn. Place into the oven for 50-70 minutes, or until golden brown, being sure to remove the pie ring after about 30 minutes.
    7. Remove the pie from the oven and cool completely before serving, about 45-60 minutes. This will ensure that the filling thickens up and you do not have a runny pie.

Notes

• You can opt out of using the plastic wrap and just place the dough into a bowl in the refrigerator. We don’t have plastic wrap, but that is how it is traditionally done so we wanted to share both options.
    • If your coconut oil is not solid, place it into the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before using, mixing halfway through.
    • For easy ice water, we just place a glass half full of water into the freezer for about 30 minutes before using. It is the perfect temperature!
    • You can freeze an unbaked version of this pie and bake it in the future. After assembling the pie, cover it up (or slip it into an airtight freezer bag) and pop it into the freezer. Be sure the pie is upright so that no filling spills out before it solidifies. When you are ready to bake it, preheat the oven to 450F. Unwrap the pie and set it on a cookie sheet. Put the pie in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 375F and continue baking for 30-40 minutes, or until the crust is brown and the filling is bubbling. Remove from oven and cool.

• barbara12
    Options
    Evening all
    Its proper cold here and our youngest son Niamhs dad is in hospital again on a drip..it was only a midgie bite..but he gets celulitus every time..
    Chris good for you booking another meal out..something to look forward to..you do has much or less walking has you feel like..i get the same off some people xx
    Joan my fish are enjoying themselves..i feed them at the same time then they get used..i hope you are all doing ok..xx
    Toni i like what Joan said..whatever did the village do till you got there..i know P would have done loads bless..x
    Thankyou for the scrambled eggs not had them for ages...very tasty..xx
    Kath another good but strange poem..mind you I don't understand some...
    And the salad and apple pie went down nicely thankyou ..yes I love my shed..its my sanctuary:)xx
    Right I'm off to find out if they are releasing our son
    Love to all
    Xxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Hi Joan I like doing as much as I can in the village and it was P who used to d it all. I helped now I am taking over some stuff and managed to pass other stuff over to other people.

Kath that poem sums up a lot for me. Harvest which is a fabulous time of year of course, but the ache you get when you've done anything for too long. You have a dent in your foot from the ladder! I can almost smell the apples and then an apple pie! Vegan - enough to make your mouth water.

Yes Sleek and Tosca did a lot of TV watching and her observational skills were honed then. She misses Tosca so much and Pepe too😔 she often has Tosca's spell book in her backpack and Pepe's Drs bag in paw which of course you know. She says you are much better at watching telly than me! She'll be over later to keep you company...reckons she's got some ideas for creakies too......I tried to tell her it's not always about pusskins!

Chris your neighbour!! She is a one isn't she?🙄how do you cope? You walk as far as you can manage and stick to that. Or add an extra few steps out of her sight when you are off at the pub for your meal hah! She won't be able to see you then😉

I don't blame you at all for booking another meal out I think it did you good and it was lovely food too and all SAFE! I know what you mean about COVID doom and gloom it's all very depressing so i try not to think about it too much.

How did your day of doing whatever you liked go? I am still cat sitting for Tia (as she will be for me this next week when we are away) so a bit busier than I'd like. If your cruise doesn't go ahead so be it I agree you can always re-book. Safety first!

Barbara your son is most definitely intolerant to midges! That is scary getting cellulitis every time. I hope all is well and under control for him. My Ex had it once (knelt on something sharp at work) and it was pretty scary. Sleek already had her Drs bag in paw so will be over later after she's watched some telly with Kath and done Chris' leg/s

The village coped ok before me due to the energy of P! Now it's my turn to do my best. Talking of which I must top up the cards.....

She's just whatsapped me with something else!!! She is amazing.

Aha just had a though for breakfast - we haven't had it for ages!

• frogmorton
    Options

just finishing this off......

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Chris ((())) your neighbour does not know how much walking you do in doors.

. Kath ((())) thank you for the poem they are good how is Chris ((((())) love to Anita ((())) val ((()) and your Dad ((()))

Barbara ((())) sorry about Niamh's dad ((())) I hope it does not happen to often. Love to Mr B ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni our neighbours granddaughter is a carer and she was told they would take the money out of her wages to pay for her ppi. Love to Paul ((())) Charley ((())) and her girlfriend ((())) Tia ((())) Lucy ((())) and Pom ((()))

Love to Bill ((())) Mig ((())) Aidan ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • CatLady1
    Options

Hi everyone

Just a quick bit on here before my lunch. I'm busy this afternoon and I will be tired later on. My energy levels aren't very good at present, think I try to do too much then I pay for it the next day. Also I must try and get my sleep pattern better than it is at the minute. I don't seem able to get to sleep till 12pm or after that. I'm good in the mornings, it doesn't matter how long I've slept without fail I wake at 7.30am. If I need to get up earlier I have to set my alarm. I have a good one on my smart watch - it vibrates at the time I need to get up. To be certain I get up the alarm on my phone goes off 10mins later. It takes me a long time to do what I have to do before breakfast and have my shower. If I have things on early, I need at least 21/2 - 3hrs up to get done at that time. Trouble is I have OCD and though I am much better now, there are some things I can't change.

Not sure what this weather is doing at the present. Its been sunny, cloudy, very windy and very dark at times as if its going to rain. At present we have sun. Hope you all are keeping as well as you can. I've only been round the outside of the block so far each day, today and Thursday are going to be rather hectic. Friday I may need another me day. We will see. Off to put my shopping delivery away. The day I'd hope they would deliver it in bags as they've done for ages. I guess we are out of lockdown now so they're no using bags any more. Oh well I put my freezer items away and now have the rest to put away. At least I can load by walker's basket up and do several runs.

Hugs - Toni ((())) Barbara ((())) Joan ((())) Carol ((())) Carol ((())) Mike ((()))

Take care and stay safe.

ChrisK

• Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem written 10 minutes ago).

My Good Friend Miss Slimkins

I sit with dear Young Sleek watching telly,

The lawyer we like is Perry.

As a young man he was a handsome chap

and Sleek would love to sit on his lap.

But sadly he crossed the Rainbow Bridge,

like our Aidan and Pepe and Tosca.

So here we sit

and reminisce

with a tear in our eye

of the loves we have known in the past.

I answered all of your posts, but lost my post. SORRY. Now I've forgotten what I said. 😥

Almond Stuffed Courgettes

Ingredients 

• 2 courgettes

• 10ml olive oil
    • 1 onion finely chopped
    • 30g ground almonds
    • 50ml vegan cream
    • 60g breadcrumbs from dried ciabatta bread
    • 1tsp salt
    • 1tsp yeast flakes
    • 5g parsley finely chopped
    • 10ml extra virgin olive oil

Method

1. Par cook the courgettes. Plunge the courgettes in cold water for a few minutes and cut in half.
    2. Scoop out the centre flesh, set aside.
    3. Sauté the onions and add half of the scooped courgette pulp and simmer for 3 minutes.
    4. Remove from heat and add almonds, vegan cream, breadcrumbs, salt, yeast flakes and parsley and mix well.
    5. Pack the mixture into the courgette hollows and bake in a preheated oven 200C for 12 minutes.
    6. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.

Blackberry Crumble

The perfect companion to a summer's afternoon. Pick your own blackberries and then enjoy this beautiful Blackberry Crumble! Top with soya or oat cream or vegan icecream.

Ingredients: 

400g/ 4 cups blackberries, washed

65g/ ½ cup soft brown sugar

10g/2 tbsp oats or ground almonds for GF option

150g/ 1 ¼ cups plain flour or GF flour

50g/ ¼ vegan margarine

Method: 

Preheat the oven to 180ºC (fan)/350ºF/Gas Mark 4

1. Tip the blackberries and 65g of sugar into a medium-sized pudding/baking dish and mix together.

2. For the topping, place the 2 tbsp sugar, oats or ground almonds, flour and margarine into a mixing bowl. Rub in the margarine until it resembles breadcrumbs.

3. Spoon the topping evenly ontop of the blackberries.

4. Bake in the oven until turning golden on the top, for around 25-30 mins.

5. Serve immediately with soya or oat cream, or vegan icecream. 

• barbara12
    Options
    Afternoon all the nurse have just done our sins drip..when you think at one time it would mean a stay in hospital..its called hospital at home..they will be coming till the 10th..
    Chris you are a busy lady...i am getting lazy in my old age..good your old is better than it was..my friend has it and it wears her out...
    You get a me day very soon xx
    Toni thankyou for the cheeses on toast ...
    Nurse hsve been so we can relax now..any bite he gets turns into this..and he uses repellent..
    How kind to take the bulk if things off P..it will put her mind at rest..but dint over do things....by the way miss sleek was here for a while bless. So I gave her some milk ..she did a sterling job...had a nap then headed home to mummy..xx
    Kath what a nice poem..our Aidan would be proper proud..have you received your box lately.. bet you look forward to them wondering what they will send..xx
    Right im off to get my lunch
    Love to everyone
    Xxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Turbogran
    edited 5. Aug 2020, 20:51
    Options

Evening all

hows everyone’s weather been today it’s been lovely here in London it’s still 22 Degrees as I type this at 8.20pm. I have had 2 rude people have a go at me while I was out today one when mr t and I were having our dinner out today in our local Wetherspoons. And a woman on the bus when I was on my way back home. I am afraid the woman was so rude she got a few swear words out of me I was so annoyed.

Mr T has a new toy now he has brought himself an Alexa echo gadget as a birthday present to himself as it is his Birthday tomorrow. It is quite fun. When it came yesterday I made him laugh because he I said oh you have a new girlfriend In your life now have you. Our GGS Kian is 1 year old on Friday how did that happen. Have 4 birthdays in 6 days to remember starting with mr t, then Kian Friday, youngest GD BF Saturday, then 3 days later on Tuesday GGD Rubie will be 2 years old . Where dose time go.

Kath love your Poem Today yes it good we can reminisce about all the people in and furry friends we have loved and lost. I Do it quite often.

Barbara I can remember when I once had a urinary infection which was resistant to all the usual antibiotics and I was told I needed to go to the hospital because the only antibiotic that would work had to be administered in hospital intravenously, so off I went I spent One night in hospital and then because I was so well other than this infection the dr arranged for me to have the district nurse in daily once a day to do it at home for 5 days. As long as I promised To go to a hospital near me in the same group to have blood taken every morning so that the nurse when she came would know how much to give me by the time she came in the evening.

Chris our online shopping came today and they always deliver in bags they usually bring the shopping in but since the lockdown they only deliver to your door, we usually have to pay for bags and the take them away the next week and refund you and they recycle them. At the moment they are not taking them back so they are not charging for them. Hugs to Joan, Sue, Toni, Bill, and anybody else I have missed out I’ve put a Huge bucket of hugs in the cafe for anyone who wants them.

love and sparkles to you all ❤️❤️❤️🌈🌈🌈

ps and because I know they cheer you all up

Our One year old in2 days little monkey.

and

Our 2 year old in 6 days cheeky little madam.

Stay positive always👍xx
  • frogmorton
    Options

Morning everyone 🙂

Joan No way should that girls have to pay fro her own PPE!!!!!!!!! That's terrible she should report it...but to whom? Probably CQC (Care quality Commission). Grrr 😡 Spent the evening with P's daughter had a good chat which was lovely.

Carol lovely pics they are the babies and as sweet as can be! You can tell those apples all fell from the same tree 🌴 I have no idea where on earth tie goes, but it's lovely to see them grow isn't it?

I must teach you how to get Alexa to say cheeky things! Hah! I got ours to answer this question: What did Paul have for lunch today?" answer: "too much!" "Who is the prettiest pusskin in Staffordshire" answer: "Sleek is!"

What a great present to buy himself. Charley bought me mine for Christmas a year or so back when they were on offer and I love it.

Two rude people in one day? I wouldn't be able to forget that i would be upset all day it would put me right out of sorts 😕 You take no notice it's calm in here no nastiness. If we had it it would be banned, but everyone is just lovely.

Barbara I think it's great that your son can be treated at home much much better. He can eat what he wants shower when he wants watch telly and be with his family and take pain killers when he needs them not to fit in with the drugs round 🙄

I think Miss Sleek was there checking up on the nurses wasn't she? She said your milk is better than mine (not soya) and you let her sleep on your bed!!!

P's daughter can round last night we sat in the summer house outside and had a good chat. I hope it helps a little to have someone in the village nearer her age who she can talk to. I have promised to be here any time. P is needing oramorph in the daytime now.

Kath Sleek read your poem over my should next thing I hear the printer going and see her taking a copy for her ickle house. It's lovely so spot on and quickly compiled. When you are in the right frame of mind you can throw them out! A nod to our sadly missed friends. I wish Aidan was here with advice about P. ah well😔

Sleek will be over later - reckons it's cooler at yours🙄 She's checking in on Barbara's son too ATM and then sorting out Tia's pusskins who i am cat-sitting for!

Loving the stuffed courgettes and the apple crumble. Just needs some alpro custard or some vegan ice cream and I'll be sorted 💜

Chris what a good idea loading your walker basket up with your shopping! So i am to expect Sunday's delivery without bags then? I hadn't expected that, but to be fair I don't like plastic really so...I'll cope just like you have.

OCD is a real challenge it sounds as if you ahve it pretty well under control well done for that. I think most of us take 'too long' to get ourselves up and moving don't we? My internal alarm is set for 6am- 6.30 like you no matter what time I go to bed🙄 I am aiming to get back to 7am that will suit me. Maybe when Paul retires🤔

If you need a 'me' day on Friday so be it. Take it don't feel guilty and 'put your feet up'

Love to anyone I've missed...Mike1, Mig...

Vegan/veggie option available

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath how is Chris's leg (((())) Good poem love to Anita ((())) Val ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Chris you have to rest to recharge your batteries ((()))

Carol (((())) happy birthday ((()))) to everyone

Barbara ((())) that's good your son is back home (((())) love to your brother ((())) and his girl friend ((())) and Mr B ((()))

Toni have a good holiday when you go ((()))love to Charley ((())) and her friend ((())) Paul ((())) Tia ((())) Lucy ((())) and Pom ((()))

love to Bill ((()))Mig ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Turbogran
    Options

Morning everyone

Toni yes they are both cheeky little monkies believe me you wouldn’t believe that Kians photo was taken just 10 mins after he bawled his eyes out because his dad gave him to me for a cuddle. Then with Lolly in hand he is pretending not to look at me with a saucy grin on his face. Your right it’s lovely to see them growing up.

Mr T has his Alexa in the room we call the office because that’s where he is most of the time, but he has said that next month he may buy another for our living room. And we have agreed that I will then set the app up on my mobile for that one up on my mobile. So we will both have the app on our mobiles. And we can both talk to either one. Oh the little things that please us. 😂😂

I must say If people annoy me enough then I will do what I did yesterday I don’t usually use swear words but yesterday the woman on the bus was so arrogant that the words just escaped. 😂😂 the guy she was with was about to say something and so he got it too before he started.

Joan Hello how are you and Sue. It’s Mr T birthday today not mine that’s in January.

waiting for delivery of a new electronic photo frame Today. our old one just stopped working a few days ago . And we have so many photos there is no room on the walls for any more so we have lots on a memory card in the frame that when working will change photos at intervals in the day.

love and sparkles to you all

❤️🌈❤️🌈❤️🌈

Stay positive always👍xx