Val's Cafe

Options

Comments

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

Daily Poem (searched for on Google, so my brain can have a rest today)

Another Dull Day by Mark Hopwood

Tuesdays here with no sign of a shine

Another dull day, followed by deadly night-time

And the moon in the sky

Will just look down and laugh

Man, you stink

You better go take a bath

And scrub yourself

Until you feel clean

Wash those demons away,

you know what I mean.

A dull day on Pendle

Joan, Chris's leg is greatly improved thank you. He's completed the antibiotics, so we will see what happens now. I think Young Sleek's potion helped.

Toni, bacon butty, smashing ta. I knew Sleek would hot foot it to print the poem out for her ickle house, bless. I do hope P is keeping as well as can be. I bet you recognised the photo of Pendle. In fact I think that might be one Aidan took a couple of years ago.

Carol, Kian almost a year old, such a big boy now. How sweet they are.

Barbara, we had our last box last week. Now shielding has been paused, we won't be getting any more. But we have our Tesco deliveries still.

Sweet Potato, Spicy Black Beans & Guacamole

This is a great mid-week meal as it's easy, healthy and delicious. You can cheat all the way with this recipe by buying ready-made refried beans and guacamole so it can be even quicker and easier. If you do the full version, it's still simple and the combination of flavours is amazing! 

Ingredients: 

• 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes

Bean mix (for a really quick meal, buy pre-cooked refried beans)

• 1 tin (400g) black beans, drained and rinsed
    • 1 tsp paprika
    • 1 tsp ground coriander
    • ½ tsp ground cumin
    • 1 tbsp lime juice
    • 1 tsp brown sugar or vegan syrup (eg agave or maple etc)

Guacamole (for a really quick meal, buy pre-prepared guacamole or a plain avocado)

• 2 small ripe avocados
    • 1 red chilli, de-seeded and finely diced
    • ½ red onion, finely diced
    • Bunch of fresh coriander, roughly chopped including stalks
    • Juice of 1 lime
    • Extra virgin olive oil
    • Pinch of salt

Serving suggestions: fresh chilli, fresh coriander, vegan sour cream, nachos, salsa, grated vegan cheese, lime 

Method: 

1. Preheat the oven to 180º/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. 
    2. Stab the potatoes a couple times with a fork and then pop them in the oven for around 45 mins or until soft in the middle. 

Spicy bean mix

1. Heat a little oil in a small saucepan on a medium heat and add the spices. Lightly fry for 30 seconds - 1 minute and then add the black beans.
    2. Cook the beans for around 5 minutes, stirring throughout.
    3. Add the lime juice and sugar, then cook for a further couple of minutes.

Guacamole 

1. Mash the avocado to the consistency of your choice.
    2. Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and season to taste.

Rum Truffles

This is an incredible versatile and flexible chocolate truffle recipe, it’s very smooth and creamy... you wouldn’t know it was vegan. It's perfect as a delectable petit four for a dinner party! I’ve included spiced rum in this recipe but you can easily swap the alcohol or replace it with a nut milk.

Ingredients: 

• 175g silken tofu 
    • 175g dark vegan chocolate (70% solids)
    • 2 tbsp icing sugar
    • 30ml of good quality spiced rum
    • Cocoa powder for dusting

Method: 

1. Drain the tofu of any water and then blend in a food processor. Once smooth, add the rum and icing sugar and combine.
    2. Melt the chocolate in a bowl in the microwave, stirring occasionally and being careful to not let it burn.
    3. Fold the tofu mixture into the melted chocolate, making sure to incorporate it fully. Don’t worry if it starts to firm up at this point. 
    4. Place the mixture into a container and allow the chocolate to crystallise and set in the fridge for at least 6 hours.
    5. Once set, take a large teaspoon of the set ganache and roll it into a ball in the palm of your hand, drop the ball into the cocoa powder and give it another roll.
    6. The mixture should make at least 15 truffles. Be aware if you aren’t eating them straight away, you might need to roll them again in cocoa powder after a couple of hours. 

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• CatLady1
    CatLady1 Member Posts: 64
    Options

Hi to all the lovely café peeps

I've been in a meeting all morning and until 2.15pm. I enjoyed doing it and found it very interesting. As I had my laptop out to do something else I thought I would post on here before I get my hoover out to hoover up the cheesy bits that came off my cheese baton. They are lovely but it doesn't matter what I do I always end up with pieces of the cheesy top all over my floor.

The rest of today and all day tomorrow is my "me" day. I'm only going to do what I want and if that's nothing so be it. I do have some bits I can do if I feel like doing them. I might just get my kindle out and find an interesting book on there.

Today the weather is not nice. We had rain all morning, but luckily when I wanted to get some fresh air and a walk to loosen up it was dry. Not sure what its doing now as where my craft table/desk is I'm looking at a wall. I've got a small flat and this was the only place the table would fit.

Carol what some lovely photos of your 2 GGDaughters. They are so cute. I get to see my 2 GGdaughters a week Saturday. My younger daughter's partner is picking me up at lunch time on his way home for work, and I am going to her place. My granddaughter and her partner are popping over to see me and my grandson, his wife and the two little ones are coming over too. My youngest grandson will probably be working. So looking forward to seeing them all. Last time I saw them was between Christmas and New Year. Although I see my daughter every fortnight as she has been doing my washing while I was in lockdown.

Gentle Hugs to Toni ((())) Kath ((())) Carol ((())) Barbara ((())) Joan ((())) and anyone else I have missed ((()))

Chris

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Frogmorton wrote: "Joan No way should that girls have to pay fro her own PPE!!!!!!!!! That's terrible she should report it...but to whom? Probably CQC (Care quality Commission)"

Actually it should be reported to the Health & Safety Executive, which can be done anonymously, as it is the employer's legal responsibility to provide PPE where a need has been identified; failure to provide is a criminal offence. See https://www.hse.gov.uk/contact/whistleblowers.htm

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 6. Aug 2020, 18:23
    Options
    Evening all very humid here
    Hi Mike thanks for the info somtime our gd has had to by mask..they are scared of saying anything because they are on zero hours x
    Carol lovely photos of the children's ..we had Alexa..Niamh used to play games with it..i bet Mr T has some fun chatting to it..and like you say you can link them ..sometimes swear words can't be helped especially if people are nasty..so you had the iv for an infection ..much better at home xx
    Joan my brother goes to Christies tomorrow on his birthday..then its the last time for now..love to all of you xc
    Kath the boxes were a good idea..and like you say you have your online shopping..thankyou for the poem and another good recipe..xx
    Toni i am sure it really helped Ps daughter talking is such a good release ..and she knows you are there to help..xx
    Chris how lovely that you will see your GC.
    Its been such strange times...and busy and then me time..:)xx
    I did read all your post but get to the end and forget most...
    Love to everyone
    Xxxcxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,457
    Options

Hi everyone

Joan I am looking forward to the break - all packed except for our meds and shoes so feeling pretty pleased with myself! Mike1 has said something to you in his post about the girls with the PPE issue. I think she should report it to both CQC and who he says.

Carol - I would believe that Kian was crying 10 mins before that's kids for you!!!! Mind you that cheeky grin is worth anything😍I shall see my Gt niece this morning - it's her Mummy's birthday Kari and me will drop our cards off to her in the garden.

We have two Alexas too. One I take outside into the summerhouse (normally in the living room or bedroom area)because my bro set up the internet in there and one is in the kitchen, but covers most of the bungalow to be fair. I just love asking for my music - anything i want because I have Amazon prime it's all free after that. I wish Audible was though that's my favourite. I think you get one audio book a month free (they choose it) form audible though. Good for when I am cooking the dinner.

Awful when people are rude for no reason isn't it? Poor you still forget it now 99% of people are lovely. ((()))

Kath that pic of Pendle reminded me of Aidan! I have been thinking about him very much I know he would have known what would help P wouldn't he? She is now in more pain, but doing ok in her spirits. Her daughter is taking her to their holiday place in Devon for a week while I am away.

The poem is actually rather funny made me smile😁

Glad you enjoyed the bacon butty - I enjoyed my sweetpots and guacamole. Thank you very much. Might just make the truffles I NEEEEEED chocolate!

Good to hear Chris' leg is doing ok Sleek said it was definitely Tosca's poultice which did it 100% and she knows you know.😉 She has been on to catazon and ordered one of those collage frames for her poems for her ickle house as you know she has Prime. She is going to check on Brabara's son and then will be over (she's bringing Darcey!) for some Perry!

@Mike1  spot the social worker Vs the Union guy! Great advice I hope the lass does report it - to both. Some employers eh? See Barbara's post below too.

That's what it is Barbara the girls (and lads) are just sacred they'll loose their jobs/hours. Your GD and her fiancée need to look for a job in a nursing home when COVID is over.

Imagine your bro's last chemo being on his birthday! Lucy's last one was on Tia's!

Sleek will be over later (Darcey in tow) to check on your boy. Exopect Dracey to sit on your lap she is very very affectionate😺

Breakfast:

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,943
    Options

Good morning everyone

Carol ((())) Happy birthday to Mr T ((())) I hope he has a good day . It's ours on Sunday I heard last night Sainsbury 's in our town centre is closing by Nov it's been there over 50 years.

love to Barbara (()) Mr B ((())) and her son ((())) and brother ((())) sand his girlfriend ((())))

Kath ((())) Chris ((())) Anita ((())) Val ((())) and her dad ((()))

Toni ((())) Paul ((())) Lucy ((()) Charley ((())) and her girlfriend ((())) Tia ((())) Prom ((()))

Bill ((()))Mig ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem (i found one about pikelets, bt this is better)

raw herrings on crumpets

by Mateuš Conrad Feb 2016

some might say raw herrings

on crumpets is a bit barbaric,

but i find it the ideal meal

while feeding a cat a goodnight;

raw... rrrrrrroar flesh gives

the digestive system a one-over

twice the difficulty to feed me sleep

and here's the pikelet one 🤣

.Well, I've read your messages, so here is mine (as I begin my 2nd ice cream of the day). My neighbour (Rebecca 2) is now my friend on Facebook. We had a lovely chat on Messenger and she shared a photo of a scan of Alfie Lee Peter Niblett, due in December. They already have a delightful little girl of one year old, called Isobel. I don't envy her being pregnant in this heat. My other neighbour Rebecca 1, was out cutting back the hedges.

I've had some lovely posts from the Creakies, it was lovely.

Well, try and keep cool. I'm doing it by eating as many ice creams as I can.

Isn't it awful about the explosion in Beirut. 😪

Thai Green Curry

You can make this authentic, fragrant Thai green curry from scratch or do the quick version if you're short of time. Either way, it's delicious :)

Ingredients: 

Paste 

Alternatively you can use 4 tsp of vegan Thai green curry paste (eg Blue Dragon) instead for a quick version 

• Handful coriander
    • 2 sticks lemongrass, outer layer and ends removed then roughly chopped
    • 2 shallots or 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped 
    • 2 cloves garlic, peeled
    • 5cm of galangal or ginger, peeled
    • Juice of 1 lime 
    • 3 green Bird's eye chilli (or use any chilli of your choice)
    • 2 tsp brown sugar
    • 2 tbsp rapeseed oil 

Curry

• 1 tbsp soy sauce
    • 1 x 400ml tin coconut milk
    • 200ml vegan stock
    • 6 kaffir lime leaves

Choose at least 3 of the following veg options

• Handful of baby corn, sliced in half lengthways 
    • ½ head of broccoli, broken into bite-sized chunks
    • Handful of water chestnuts
    • 3 medium carrots, diced
    • 1 aubergine, cubed and roasted
    • 2 sweet potato, cubed and roasted
    • 200g mangetout 
    • 100g green beans, trimmed and halved
    • 200g mushrooms, halved
    • 2 handfuls vegan 'chicken' pieces or tofu (cubed), fried on either side (at the end if using this option)
    • Decorate with Thai basil (ideally) or regular basil, fresh coriander and fresh chilli
    • Serve with Thai sticky rice or jasmine rice, lime wedges and vegan Thai crackers (eg Sainsbury's)

Method: 

Paste

1. Blend all the ingredients in a high powered blender or food processor until smooth.

Curry

1. Heat a little oil in a wok or large frying pan, on a low-medium heat then add the paste. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
    2. Add the coconut milk, stock, kaffir lime leaves and veg of your choice (leave out the 'chicken pieces' or tofu until the end). 
    3. Bring to the boil then simmer until the veg are cooked to your taste. 
    4. Taste the sauce and if necessary add more soy sauce, sugar or lime juice to balance the flavours.

Followed by Vegan Thai iced tea

Ingredients

• 4 cups filtered water
    • 2 heaping Tbsp loose leaf black tea*
    • 1/4 cup maple syrup or agave nectar
    • 1/4 cup packed light muscovado sugar, organic brown sugar, or coconut sugar
    • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
    • 1 14-ounce can light coconut milk (or sub vanilla almond milk, rice milk, or other milk of choice)
    • 1-2 Tbsp dark rum per serving (optional // for a cocktail option)

Instructions

• In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil.
    • Once boiling, remove from heat and allow bubbles to subside, then add tea and stir. Let steep for 5 minutes.
    • Pour tea over a strainer into a pitcher or bowl to remove the tea leaves. At this time add maple syrup, muscovado sugar and vanilla. Whisk to thoroughly combine and dissolve sugar crystals, then sample and adjust sweetness as needed. Set in the refrigerator to chill (2-3 hours).
    • Once tea is chilled, prepare serving glasses with generous portions of ice (see photo). Fill with tea until 3/4 full, then top with coconut milk. Stir gently and enjoy.
    • Recipe (as originally written) yields enough for 4 generous servings. Add dark rum to taste to make it a creamy cocktail

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    Options
    Evening all..all i am saying is. its warm...hahaha
    Kath how nice to be able to chat to your neighbour..that is the good side of social media..and i adore the name they have chose for the baby yet to arrive Alfie Lee Peter Niblett bless..think you already know i like Thai green curry but never had the tea..looks so refreshing..xx
    Toni not chemo today for my brothet that finished a couple of weeks ago its still the trial..dont ask what it is called..anyhow he said he feels goid and his gf ud treating him to an Indian meal out..
    Now we're are you off to remind me ...i just know you are packing...
    Love to P..xx
    Joan you always gives so many hugs thankyou..i think maybe you and Sue are warm enough today..tonight is going to be quite warm has well love to all of you xx
    The mask made our gd and fiance poorly today..they spend 4 hours in one house and not allowed to take them off..gosh I feel for all carers and nurses..talking of nurses she came early this morning to do our sons drip..his sats are a little low she said ..so we shall see tomorrow..
    Love to everyone
    Xxcc
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    edited 8. Aug 2020, 06:01
    Options

No!! Joan what a shame Salisbury's closing I bet they open one on the edge of town though. Were you hot yesterday? We were it was my niece's birthday yesterday I wonder whet you girls have got each other🤔

Carol I hope Mr T had a good birthday.🎂 Where was your meal out?🍽️

Kath how lovely 'meeting' Rebecca2's new member of the family before he is even born - so exiting! I bet she is hot!

Ice cream and vegan thai iced tea too.....I forgot we have some lovely Ben and Jerry's vegan ice cream takes like the normal stuff and oatly do a fabulous hazelnut swirl.

Aidan would have been struggling in this heat.

I know I am and my back is in REAL trouble just 3 days before our trip out in the motorhome. Still there is a proper bed so I'm sure I'll be ok 🤞 Apparently Sleek has one of Tosca's poultice for this too😉 She'll be over later this time with Darcey. While we are away she is threatening to bring Tommy Thumb!

Love thai green curry I made it for my lockdown birthday. That was before we had braved takeaways. Thank you.

The poem did make me laugh (mildy gross, but done in humour I think!) and that piklet recipe is fabulous 🍪

Barbara maybe it was just a check up for your bro I am sure they will need to continue to monitor him. They'll want to know how well his cancer is still under control.

How sweet is his GF treating him ♥️

Hmmm Your boy's sats aren't great? Oh dear me I do hope they won't need him in again - he'd hate that and you would too🤞

Not surprised wearing a mask and doing strenuous work made the girls feel queasy and lightheaded it would me! Poor things.

We are off up to Scotland. Staying in the lakes first then, Loch lomand, then Oban I think then Skye then Inverness then back down and pick Lucy up for a visit if it's still legal up there by then🙄 I am worried because my back is super-bad 😕 Maybe just the packing caused it 🤔

Love to Chris and anyone else I have missed

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath what ice cream do you like the best ((())) love to Chris ((())) Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and your dad (((()))

Barbara ((())) I hope your son does not have to go back in hospital (((()))) love to Mr B ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend (((())) he is doing well.

Toni ((())) they say if you have got a bad back lie on the floor but it's the getting up after love to Paul ((())) Lucy ((()))Charley ((())) and her girlfriend ((())) Tia (((())) Kari ((())) and Pom ((()))

Love to Bill (((()))Mig ((()))Chris ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem (an old one of mine)

Summer Dream.

Hot dust on well worn paths;

Crickets chirrup in the grass.

Lime blossoms heady perfume

Signal that once again it's June.

Shoes cling to melted tar;

Ice-cream bells chime from afar.

Rose weeps petals, droops her head

Kisses Lavender in her bed.

Swifts swoop and soar on high;

Welcome Swallows to their sky.

Swans pause mid-glide to preen

Like cloud pictures from a dream.

Cheeky Sparrows seem to laugh;

Rolling in their dusty bath.

Watched by Cows with sleepy eyes

Chewing cud and flicking flies.

Tide ripples as it turns;

Browning skin blisters and burns.

Beaches glimmer in the haze

Crowded full on Summer days.

Summers Day by Jackie Gale

The Cafe Dwellers (a new one of mine)

Barbara is in her shed,

sitting on her chillow.

We’re all melting in the sun

waiting for winds to billow.

Joan and Sue are doggy walking

Pepper and Lexi, both are stalking

as they race through the park.

They could play until it’s dark.

Toni’s sipping tea with Kari,

while Chris and Carol are happy as Larry.

Kath is busy pondering,

and waiting for the rhymes to come in.

Vegan Lemonade

Ingredients

For the Lemonade Base

• Zest of 1 lemon
    • Juice of 6–8 lemons (1 cup fresh squeezed juice)
    • 5 cups water
    • 1 cup white sugar

For the Cucumber Basil Lemonade

• 1/2 cup cucumber
    • 4 basil leaves

For the Grapefruit Rosemary Lemonade

• Juice of 2 large grapefruits (1 cup fresh squeezed juice)
    • 4–5 sprigs rosemary

For the Pineapple Mint Lemonade

• 1 cup pineapple, cubed
    • 4–5 mint leaves

Preparation

For the Lemonade Base

1. Zest 1 lemon into a large pitcher
    2. Juice lemons, pour 1 cup lemon juice into the pitcher
    3. Add 5 cups water
    4. Add 1 cup white sugar, stir until dissolved

For the Cucumber Basil Lemonade

1. Add cucumber and basil to bowl of a food processor
    2. Pulse until cucumber and basil are chopped small
    3. Add cucumber basil to lemonade base
    4. *For best results refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving over ice

For the Grapefruit Rosemary Lemonade

1. Add grapefruit juice and rosemary sprigs to lemonade base
    2. *For best results refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving over ice

For the Pineapple Mint Lemonade

1. Add pineapple and mint leaves to the bowl of a food processor
    2. Puree on high
    3. Add pineapple mint puree to lemonade base
    4. *For best results refrigerate at least 4 hours before serving over ice

• barbara12
    Options
    Evening all..Niamh is here and been in the pool most of the day.
    Our sons sats were much better this morning..thank goodness
    Kath you are clever..the first poem was just right fir this weathet..and the second brilluant hahaha I was on my chillo that long my bum went numb...oh a poem .hahaha .. a recipe for lemonade I will be making xx
    Toni your poor back I feel for you.. try and rest in between with it..i am sure you will get there..take your pillow and an extra duvet to sleep on just in case..hoping you get to pick up Lucy...:)...xx
    Joan thsnkyou our son is much better..he has till Monday on the drip ..but it only takes half hour or so..hope you are all doing ok..xxxx
    Better go Niamh is going home shortly
    Love to all
    Xxxx xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Joan yes they did used to say to lie on the floor, but as you say I'd never get up!!!😂 I am taking it steady and all will be well 🤞 ((()))

Barbara I am so pleased to hear your boy is 'On the mend' as Sleek tells me. Sats back as they should be phew! Two more days of IV Abs should do it all being well.

I am taking it easy there is a microwave in the camper so I can use my wheatbag The sofa is a bit too low here but I'm sure I will be fine. I have our duvet packed ready and Lucy's for the return journey when hopefully she will come back for a few days.

Lucky Niamh in the pool all day - is she playing nurse with her daddy? I bet she is.

Kath I love our new poem! I rather think your mojo is back! That's great although Sleek did have a look and reckoned she and Darcey should have been on Kari's and my laps🙄 she really can't be left out of anything! Oh I will miss her 😔 She will visit you and probably Barbara's son till he is better. Of course Kari and Darcey too.

'Summer Dream' is lovely too and the picture adorable! So uplifting 🙂

That lemonade is spot on for the weather! I am hoping it will be cooler in Scotland it's been so hot here I need a chillow too!

I have been on the vegan Ben and Jerry's again😛What would we do without ice cream?!

Love to Carol I hope you have had a good weekend with Mr T and he enjoyed his birthday meal out.

Love also to Chris - I hope you haven't overdone things? Didn't you have another meal out? I had a coffee outside my favourite café in Eccleshall yesterday and had to give our names and number in case of COVID. But we were outside??? Still it wasn't a problem safety first.

Right it's Sunday so time for a full English, Cornish or Scottish! (vegan option available).

extra large plates😉

• frogmorton
    edited 9. Aug 2020, 08:19
    Options
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOAN & SUE xxxxxxx

• Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem (especially for Joan and Sue)

Birthday Blessings

Instead of counting candles,

Or tallying the years,

Contemplate your blessings now,

As your birthday nears.

Consider special people

Who love you, and who care,

And others who've enriched your life

Just by being there.

Think about the memories

Passing years can never mar,

Experiences great and small

That have made you who you are.

Another year is a happy gift,

So cut your cake, and say,

"Instead of counting birthdays,

I count blessings every day!"

By Joanna Fuchs

Barbara, I'm so pleased your son is better, I expect Niamh s too. I don't blame her for being in the pool most of the day.

Toni, I'm very happy that you enjoyed our new poem. That breakfast is MASSIVE. I think I'll have a couple of egg, a piece of bacon some tomatoes a piece of toast, and a glass of orange juice. Many thanks. BTW, Hasn't Sleek told you she is coming to stay with me while you're in Scotland. Hope you don't mind?

Sending birthday hugs to our favourite twins, Carol, Mig, Chris, Mike and Uncle Tom Cobley and all.

Chocolate Cupcakes with Buttercream Icing

Ingredients: 

Cupcakes

• 200g/ 1 cup self-raising flour (this could be substituted for GF self-raising flour)
    • 250g/1¼ cups caster sugar
    • 50g/ ½  cup cocoa powder
    • ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
    • ½ tsp baking powder
    • 100ml flavourless oil (eg rapeseed)
    • 1-2 tsp vanilla extract
    • 250ml/1 cup soya milk
    • 5 tsp cider vinegar

Icing

• 50g/3 tbsp vegan margarine
    • 50g/3 tbsp vegetable shortening (eg Trex... this can be found in most supermarkets)
    • 500g/ 4 ¼ cups icing sugar, sieved
    • 50g/ ¼ cup cocoa power
    • 40ml/⅓ cup plant milk
    • ½ tsp vanilla extract

Method: 

Cakes

Preheat the oven to 180ºC (fan)/350ºF/Gas Mark 4

1. Line a muffin tray with muffin cases or cupcake cases. This recipe will make 10 large cupcakes (as pictured) or 15-20 smaller ones.

2. Mix the soya milk and cider vinegar in a bowl and then set aside for 10 minutes.

3. In a large mixing bowl, stir together all the dry ingredients.

4. Add the soya/cider vinegar mixture then the oil and vanilla to the dry ingredients. Only combine the wet and dry ingredients together just before you are ready to put them in the oven.

5. Stir everything together using a metal spoon but not too much, only until everything is combined.

6. Tap the bowl onto the work surface to stop the raising agents working too quickly (this is a tip courtesy of the amazing Ms Cupcake!)

7. Fill the cupcake cases to ¾ full and tap the tray again.

8. Place in the oven and bake for 15-25 minutes depending on the size of the cupcake. They are cooked when a skewer stuck into one comes out clean.

9. Remove from the oven and leave to cool thoroughly before icing.

Icing

1. Whisk together the margarine, vegetable shortening and vanilla either by hand or electric whisk.

2. Add the icing sugar, a quarter at a time, along with the plant milk and cocoa powder until combined.

3. You can add more icing sugar or plant milk if the icing gets too wet or too dry.

4. Add your favourite cupcake nozzle to a piping bag (these can be bought from supermarkets, online and kitchen shops) and then fill with the icing.

5. Pipe onto the cakes. If you don’t have a piping bag, you can use a pallet knife.

6. Decorate with fresh berries, 100’s and 1000’s, or vegan-friendly cake decorations.

• CatLady1
    CatLady1 Member Posts: 64
    Options

Hello to all my café Friends

A VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE TWINS, JOAN AND SUE. HAVE A LOVELY DAY AND ENJOY EVERYTHING YOU ARE GOING TO BE DOING. XX

A better day here today, no way as hot or humid, it was pleasant when I went on my walk earlier. Although I was late up, I have had a very positive day so far.

Yesterday was so hot and I wondered if I ought to stay in instead of going down to the local for my meal. Two things went in my favour, 1. the sunscreen I ordered from my favourite sell all shop - Amazon - arrived just after my snack lunch. So that meant I could smoother the cream on to anything that would be bare to the sun. I have been warned not to sit in the sun at all. I thought it OK as I had factor 50+. 2. A light breeze happened here and it wasn't so overbearing hot. So it was a shower, get dressed up and all sorted. Off I went and lo and behold I bumped into the lady who lives next to me. She is a lovely lady but so deaf. I seldom see her, so I couldn't just pass her by when she spoke. She was in the mood to chat so fifteen minutes later I managed to say good bye. Was running late by now but they didn't worry. I was all on my own for about 11/2hrs, but that didn't worry me, I was happy to be out. The staff in the pub, kept coming out to me which was great. They are all so lovely. A long vodka and coke to start with. Then my main course appeared - a ploughman's with a lovely warm bread. There was nearly everything there - home cooked ham, pork pie slice, 3 different types of cheese, baby tomatoes, a lettuce leaf (it was plenty), pickle, celery, a large lightly pickled onion. It beat me. I had a carry-out box with what I left. This made a great easy lunch. I then had the large strawberry tart - it was amazing. Followed this with a latte. A great late afternoon out. I will do it again, not next week as my daughter's partner is picking me up, on his way home from work. We all are congregating at my daughters. I will see my GGranddaughters then as I haven't seen them since Christmas. My 3 grandkids will be there too, Annie with her partner and Henry's Becky and the two little ones. Not sure if my younger grandson will be there or working. So so looking forward to it.

Hope Toni's back is easier for her touring holiday. I am just hoping it will be easier. She deserves this break so much.

Glad Barbara, you had your granddaughter with you, Niamh, I can just imagine her enjoying the pool. Pleased that your son is improving, that must have been a worry for you. You sound a fan of ice cream too. I've just bought a plain yogurt frozen tub, made with Greek yogurt, it was delish.

Kath I so enjoyed your poems, you are so clever. I enjoy reading them and also look forward to reading all your recipes. I am a very lazy cook now. I have great difficulty peeling any veg or fruit, so now I get frozen. I also have one or two Parsley box meals. But while it is hot, I am having lots of salad.

Hope you and your husband are doing well Carol. I love the photos you put on here of your GGrandchildren.

When I came on here I only was going to wish Joan and Sue a Happy birthday and now look at it - I've done a long post. Hope I've not bored you.

Take care and stay safe. Hugs - Toni ((())) Kath ((())) Barbara ((())) Joan ((()))

Carol((())) Mike ((())) and everyone else who comes here ((())).

Cjhris.

• barbara12
    Options
    Evening all..
    Chris so your weather was better today ours was much warmer and humid then yesterday..so glad the people at thd pub look after you it sounds like my sort of pub..and you had a good chat to your neighbour bless ..not easy when they cant hear...bet she was glad to see you..and thankyou our son is doing so much better.. ...not sure what it is with icecream never something I bothered with but do lately.. rum and rasin my favorite xx
    Kath a lovely Birthday poem for Joan and Sue..its very kind if you...and thankyou all is well here for now...how is Holly i suppose she is busy with the children..xx
    Joan and Sue hope you had a nice Birthday...you both really deserve it..love to all if you xxxxxx sorry I cant do smilies on my phone...
    Toni i take a duvet in case the beds don't suite they are nice to sleep on...:)it would be lovey if Lucy can come back with you for a few days..oh and thankyou for the full breakfast..the only time I eat one is on holiday..so i enjoyed it..
    I am hoping your back eases up then you can have a good break..yes last drip tomorrow then he has to go to hospital in the afternoon xx
    Right I'm off been so tired today must be this weather
    Love to everyone xxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Hi everyone :)

All packed and ready! EXCEPT......my hairdresser rang Satuday. She is going into hospital to have an op (ladies business I think) and has to isolate for 14 days before which would go over my next trim....could I come in on Monday and she'll squeeze me in! So i am going this morning before we can pick up the motor home at 2pm.

Crikey! Hope my back copes. It should, do i am drying it at home.

Barbara I think Lucy will come back. I am taking supplies up to her on our way up loo rolls, STs, cat litter etc etc

I very much hope your son's IV ABs was enough, but if he needs a second course so be it - safety mucy come first musn't it?

My back is a lot easier thank you. Just get stuck getting up and getting going. so will either take crutches or waking poles which I favour as i want to walk a bit up there.

Chris what a lovely meal out again! You know I think it's the company as well as having a meal cooked for you isn't it? This virus has really made life tough and is so isolating😕You get two meals in one the the 'doggie bag'! So that;s lunch sorted. I used to love a ploughman's it was one of my absolute favourites 🙂

I hope the lady from next door is ok. I bet she feels even more isolated than most being deaf bless her.

Now can i ask is there any special reason why you are going to your daughter's that particular week? Any birthdays????

You must explain how many children you have and how many Gchildren each has given you and then how many GGchildren🙂 Isn't it wonderful that you will hopefully see them all. My lovely neighbour had her birthday yesterday and all of her children came bringing their Gchildren with them.

Hi Kath - CAKES!!!!! Thank you I love cake and miss it very much. Maybe I should have a go on my return form my hols. I think cakes might be a bit much for the wee oven in the camper. I have packed some of the galaxy chocolate which is lovely, but rather expensive 🙄

Of course you can have whatever you fancy for your breakie the whole lot would be too much for anyone.

I thought I saw young Sleek taking her case into her ickle house! I am actually rather pleased🙂. I expect she will nip back when Charley or Tia pop in to see her. She has infra red set up so she knows and acts as though she was just outside!!! Bless her.

Right love to Joan and Sue hope you both had a really special day yesterday ((()))

Love also to Carol I will take loads of pics for you all to see

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone thank you for the birthday wishes we are 79 now

Kath thank you I hope you feel better to day ((())) love to Chris ((())) Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and your dad (((()))

Chris ((())) have a good time with your grandchildren thank you

Barbara ((()))Thank you that's Niamh is coming over to see you love to your son ((())) and your brother (((())) and his girlfriend (((())) and your husband ((()))

Toni ((())) thank you that's good. your back is behaving ((())) love to Paul ((())) Charley ((())) and her girlfriend ((())) Tia ((())) Lucy ((())) and Pom ((())) and your neighbour ((()))

Bill (((())) Mig ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem

Cake

Why would it be bad

To have cake and also eat it?

Why is that a metaphor of greed?

What else should I do with cake?

It could be a piece of art

Something beautiful to behold

But it’s purpose is to be eaten

It’s cake

Yes, I would like my cake

And to eat it as well

I want to enjoy

The things I enjoy

Not simply to hold them in my hands

Stare at them upon a platter

Wonder what they taste like

I want to eat the cake

It was made for someone to eat

Why not me?

Too much cake

Will make me fat

The sugar and flour

Conspire together to build a gut

It is not healthy to eat cake daily

I cannot keep cake in the house

The temptation is too great

But everything in moderation

A piece of cake here and there

To be had and to be eaten

Is a nice treat

The daily grind of salads and chicken

Nuts and fish

Avocado and eggs and water

Will keep me healthy

Grounded

So when I feel like cake

I can have it

Order cake for dessert

Or to celebrate a birthday

An accomplishment

Or anniversary

No one bats an eye

But order cake for breakfast?

Might just incite a riot

There is a time and place for cake

Society has deemed it so

We are not the rulers of our own lives

(Though we could be)

Instead our culture dictates

The rules of life

Steak for breakfast or for dinner

But not lunch

Bread goes with every meal

Eggs and bacon are for the morning

But at night is a nice treat - on occasion

Beer after five

But it’s five o’clock somewhere

And somewhere

Someone is ready for dessert

So **** it

Let’s eat this cake

That I have procured

You and me, together

Let’s have our cake

And eat it too

Written by

Josh Vork

Chris, not all the poems are mine, I'm not that good. 😂

Toni, you say cake, and I find a poem about one, Sleek and I have such fun, and I will do everything she tells me to do,

Love to Barbara, Carol, Joan and Sue.

Herby Quinoa Salad with Pomegranate and 'Feta'

This mezze bowl is so easy, fresh and delicious... be prepared to eat it all in one sitting! 

Ingredients: 

Quinoa

• 200g/1 cup quinoa 
    • 375ml/1½ cup water 

Other ingredients 

• ½ red onion, finely diced
    • 2 large tomatoes, de-seeded and diced
    • 1 clove garlic, crushed
    • 30g/1 cup fresh parsley, stalks removed and finely chopped 
    • 30g/1 cup fresh mint, stalks removed and finely chopped
    • 80g-100g vegan feta (our absolute favourites are Violife Greek White Block or Green Vie Greek Style), cut into small bite-sized cubes
    • 100g/½ cup (approx.) pomegranate seeds 
    • Juice of 1 lemon
    • 2 tbsp olive oil
    • 1 tsp pomegranate molasses or syrup (eg agave or maple) or sugar
    • ½ tsp - 1 tsp salt (depending on your personal preference)
    • Light sprinkling black pepper 

Method: 

1. Place the quinoa in a sieve then rinse it really well. 
    2. Add the quinoa to a medium-sized saucepan with the water. Bring to the boil then cover and simmer on a very low heat until all the water is absorbed (approx. 15-20 minutes but do keep checking). Set aside, with the lid off, to cool.
    3. Whilst the quinoa is cooking and cooling, chop all the veg and place them in a large salad bowl. 
    4. Combine all of the ingredients together and set aside a little bit of feta, pomegranate seeds and a sprig of mint for decoration.

• barbara12
    Options
    Evening all..by gum its humid...
    Toni i hioe you have a lovely time.. i am sure the walking poles will help..so nice to get away... and I see you got your hair cut just in time..:)
    Love to Lucy and I am sure she is so excited.
    Thankyou for the perfect egg on toast...not heard off our son his phone is off..fingers crossed..xx
    Joan did you treat one anothet mind you it would have to be online shopping for now..but its so handy....love to all of you.xx
    Kath i like the cake poem and sure Aidan would...:)....and i really need a slice of that colourful cake.....
    I am always on the look out for a good salad..that one looks very interesting ...
    Apparently it will be in the 20s tonight..unbelievable.....
    Try and keep cool everyone ..i am putting ice cubes in my drinking bottle tonight...
    Love to everyone
    Xxxxxxxx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options

Evening all

Sorry for my absence on the forum but it has been so hot here to hot 🥵🥵🥵🥵to do anything. I did start writing a post but we had a blip in the internet and I lost it I am so annoyed that I really cannot be bothered to do it again so I will post in the morning instead.

love and sparkles to all

❤️❤️❤️🌈🌈🌈

Stay positive always👍xx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Oh dear Carol sometimes there's nothing you can do but give up. Our internet doesn't like hot weather too much either so maybe that was it???

Barbara it is lovely to be away but you have to be so careful there seem to be people everywhere! Not there fault but I am assuming everyone has the virus.
    Charley and Annie are I'll again had another COVID test yesterday fingers crossed.
    Also fingers crossed your boy has conquered the cellulitis ((()))

Joan next year will be a very special celebration then! We must have a proper party!

Kath grear poem and thanks I'll have a slice! Of course cake is to be looked at and admired.....but far more important to eat it!!!

I hope Sleek has been a good house guest. I'm sure she has bless her. She might introduce you to Say Yes To The Dress after you've watched Perry!

Take care everyone.
    We are in Kendal but en route now to Glasgow to see Lucy :smile:
  • dachshund
    Options

Morning everyone

. Kath thank you for the poems and the cake (((()))) love to Chris (((())) Anita ((()))Val ((()) and your Dad ((()))

Carol ((())I'm sorry you lost your post it's very annoying I know. love to Mr T (((()))

Barbara ((())) I hope you son is feeling better now ((())) love to Mr B ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend (((()))

Toni I hope you have a good journey it must be worrying all the people ((())) love to Paul ((()) sorry if Charley ((())) and her girlfriend ((())) are ill love to Tia ((())) Lucy (((())))

Bill ((())) Mig ((())) Chris ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Daily Poem

Humidity

Ugh, humidity

Pressing in

Suffocating 

Sticking to everything

To you and me but not us, together

This is not the good kind of sticking

of skin on skin, nervous sweaty palm in nervous sweaty palm.

This is the kind that just makes life uncomfortable

and unpleasant

But at least God has thought this through

and gave us the rain

to go with it

Rain is beautiful

Intoxicating

Purifying

I want to get drenched. 

Soaked.

I want to be free

Rain is free.

Ha, I'm not a poet, or a writer

I'm just an overdramatic hormonal angsty teenage girl 

that likes to put down her feelings in her phone notes

And hopes that someone will read and understand 

but at the same time 

wants to remain 

unknown.

By Taylor

Toni, I trust you had a safe journey. Sleek has been very well behaved. She watched the dress progtam alone, I fell asleep. I hope she will be OK tonight, it's supposed to be very stormy.

Carol, it's so annoying when you lose your post, whatever the reason!

Barbara, I hope you re managing to stay as cool as you can without a working chillow.

Joan, did you and Sue enjoy your special day?

Cranberry Mojito

Our Cranberry Mojito is the perfect party cocktail! It's super easy to make and you only need a few simple ingredients. It's light, fresh and paired with the tart pop of cranberry and zingy lime, this cocktail is such a yummy after-dinner treat!

The colours of green and red, paired with the warmth of vodka makes this cocktail a great festive tipple at Christmas or equally as a refreshing summer delight. 

Ingredients: 

• 4 tbsp cranberry sauce
    • 120ml vodka
    • 4-5 tbsp frozen cranberries (optional)
    • Juice of 4 limes
    • A big handful of mint leaves, plus extra for decoration
    • Sparkling water to top up each glass
    • Large handful of crunched ice per glass (you can do this in a food processor)

Method: 

1. Sieve the cranberry sauce into a large jug and then add the lime juice, vodka and mint leaves.
    2. Stir thoroughly and then evenly distribute between 4 glasses.
    3. Add the crushed ice and frozen cranberries before topping up with sparkling mineral water.
    4. Decorate with more fresh mint, a slice of lime and a couple of extra cranberries.

Fruity FroYo

This is a fresh, zingy and healthy dessert which can be made in just 5 minutes! 

Ingredients: 

• 200g frozen mango chunks or other frozen fruit of your choice
    • 6 tbsp natural vegan yoghurt 
    • Juice 1 lime or ½ lemon
    • Pinch salt (optional)
    • 1-2 tbsp syrup (eg agave or maple etc) (optional)
    • ½ tsp vanilla extract (optional)

Serving suggestions: chopped mixed nuts, coconut flakes, dried fruit, fresh fruit, fresh mint, granola, hemp seeds, vegan choc chips

Method: 

1. Put all ingredients into a blender and blitz until smooth. 
    2. Decorate with toppings of your choice. Enjoy :)