Val's Cafe

Options

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options

Evening all quite chilly here

Toni it's a shame you ate only away fir a night..but I'm sure many more will come..

Yes I try and ignore these eyes ๐Ÿ˜Ž

I am sure like you say there will be an easier treatmentfor cancers very soon .

Ooh egg butty thankyou I will have brown sauce xx

Joan thankyou I thought you wasn't far off Banbury..how nice that must have been visiting family and being born there..Banbury cross comes to mind xx

Kath you try the council I am sure there's a way around your back garden we built a garage and blocked ours off ๐Ÿ™„

Aww I am hoping Holly's does the right thing you have been so good with her xx

My neice us coming tomorrow, we can sit in the garden if it's warm or shed come to that ๐Ÿ˜

Love to all

Xxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,463
    Options

For Kath from Sleek!

I had a feeling the nod to Audan and the cats was your idea.

Really really pleased to hear about Anita.

:)

Hope Holly appears very soon :(

• frogmorton
    edited 22. Apr 2021, 05:55
    Options

Barbara I suspect ignoring your eyes is the best you can do.

We have had a great trip the sun came out about 3 we managed a little walk o sat on a bench for a bit then came back. Cooked our tea everything works. The shower is fabulous!

Joan I am very sorry for Sue's carer. Honestly people are rude but maybe they are nervous of getting it wrong and embarrassing themselves? I have seen plenty of signs for Oxford! ((())) xxx

Mike ooops! So sorry I promise all condiments were available for your egg banjo honestly!!!

Love to Chris and Carol.

Take care everyone just getting Paul up and will do us some breakfast before driving around a bit then coming back home.

Glorious sunshine!

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,944
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((()))) that's good Anita passed clear after her check up at the breast clinic ((())) I take 11 tablets a day as well we keep the chemist's going. I hope you hear from Holly soon. love to Val ((())) and your Dad ((()))

love to Barbara ((())) and family ((())) and Toni ((()) and family ((()))

Mike ((())) have a good day and vixen ((()))

Love to Chris ((())) Carol ((())) and Bill ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

Dear all, my bad news first. I saw Holly this morning but it's quite obvious she's trying to avoid us. I asked if she will be getting us a TV book today, it doesn't matter which. She said yes, but she will have to go to Asda because NOWHERE HAVE ANY AT ALL! We don't believe her and we don't expect to get one today. She has a bouncy castle in her front garden as it's Esme's 7th birthday today and they had a party in the garden last night. Unusually she took Esme to school at 08.15 when we weren't watching out for her. She came back at 9 am and I was quick enough to go out and collar her. She's been very secretive and I don't mind if she genuinely couldn't get us one, but she could have messaged me on Tuesday to let me know. But she didn't even acknowledge the message I sent her. Sorry to go on, but it's caused huge arguments between Chris and I. I don't think I deserve to be treated as though I'm an idiot by telling me an outright lie. I think it's the end of the road personally. Her loss, not mine.

Joan, we certainly do keep our pharmacists going. Which one o you use? I use Peak Pharmacy, used to be Manor.

Barbara, how lovely for you and your niece to sit out in the sunny garden. wear your dark glasses though. Bright sun really caused me problems with my eyes.

Toni, awww how lovely of Sleek, is she coming over to share them with me? I've found this recipe to use them for.

Bacon, Cockle and Welshman's Caviar Pie

As Welsh as it gets, a beautiful winter warmer.

Ingredients

• 35g butter (can use Welsh Sea Black Butter)
    • 225g smoked bacon
    • 1/2 onion
    • 35g flour
    • 1 egg
    • 225g cockles
    • 2 tbsp of Welshman's Caviar
    • Single cream
    • Puff pastry
    • Pinch of White pepper

Method

1. Pre heat oven to 180C
    2. Melt the butter in the pan and slowly cook the diced onion and bacon until slightly caramelised
    3. Add the flour and stir, cooking the flour through for a couple of minutes
    4. Slowly pour in the cream until you have a fairly thick smooth sauce
    5. Add the Welshman's Caviar and a pinch of white pepper as well as the cooked fresh cockles
    6. Place mixture into an oven proof dish and cut a puff pastry disk to place on top
    7. Brush with egg and cut a little hole in the pastry disc before placing into preheated oven
    8. Cook for around 25 minutes or until the pastry is golden and puffed Pasties

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• frogmorton
    edited 23. Apr 2021, 05:41
    Options

Good morning everyone. A very icy start here and I have to fetch my click and collect Tesco order at 7 ๐Ÿ˜•

Joan I reckon the pharmaceutical industry must be one of the biggest there is given how much we all take! I am loyal to my old pharmacist because he saw me through everything from when my girls were babies. I always get bits there too to make sure they keep going. ๐Ÿ™‚

Oh Kath that is a bit of a worry for definite. Sounds as if she may have spent your money on something else and be waiting for some to come in before getting your bits? I hope it wasn't much? Is it Chris who is most cross or you? I take it one of you wants to give her the benefit of the doubt?

I am very upset for you - actually gutted ((()))

Sleek is of course coming over to share the cockles with you she loved the Bacon, Cockle and Welshman's Caviar Pie you did for you both I believe the whole lot was eaten between the three of you?

She had to lie down for a good while she'd eaten so much!

I had to Google welsh sea black butter. Sounds full of vitamins and wonder whether anyone does a vegan version๐Ÿค”

I found one in America sold out, but might just have found a recipe it sounds amazing.

Did you see our mods have won an award?

Hope our Barbara's eyes are ok today although I suspect not her being AWOL yesterday. I hope today is a better day for you. I managed a cup of tea with P yesterday afternoon when we got home it was lovely she looked really well. Am popping over later again as a friend is bringing her some floristry stuff for our Christmas wreaths. Thinking ahead is good๐Ÿคž

Chris were you busy on one of your projects yesterday I wonder? Very likely. Any date yet for your results? Well I hope all is well with you anyway.

Mike I am presuming you haven't heard from Elliott's family and that means he hasn't begun his chemo yet. I wonder whether they have a bell to ring at the end of treatment a lot of hospitals do. Lucy's didn't have one.

Love of course to Carol.

I'm cold so it's porridge sorry bananas are optional according to health need of course. I also have blueberries, kiwi and mango available this morning.

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Mikeย I am presuming you haven't heard from Elliott's family and that means he hasn't begun his chemo yet. I wonder whether they have a bell to ring at the end of treatment a lot of hospitals do. Lucy's didn't have one.

Morning petal. As luck would have it my baby sister sent me a text last night as she found out on Facebook that Elliott has not had his chemo because his blood count is very low and his bone marrow is "tired". Apparently he has to wait for a week or two or maybe longer until he is better able to receive the chemo, whether that means that they are staying in Bristol or coming home we do not have a clue.

• Kitty
    edited 23. Apr 2021, 08:31
    Options

Oh Mike, I am so sorry to hear Elliott has to gather his strength for his final chemo. Everyone in Val's Cafรฉ are rooting for him. Sending hugs for the family. My cancer department didn't have a bell either, but then I think it depends on how serious your cancer is. My sister has just had her annual review and she's still clear. I've been clear for 8 years now - but I no longer get checked, so I wouldn't know. ๐Ÿ˜ง

Toni, I'll definitely have the nanas on my porridge thank you. Yes, we did rather overdo it with the cockles. As for Holly, she finally pushed a radio Times through the letterbox with a large bar of Aero! Guilty conscience methinks.. We are both as cross as each other, mainly because we've lost all trust in her and we've had a lot of rows over it. After all, we give her ยฃ20 just to fetch a Radio Times which cost just over ยฃ3 and also two boxes of Paracetamol and she can keep the change of ยฃ15 -- which is more than generous think. Any way we will see what happens next week.

I hope our absentees are all well, sometimes I have to refresh m screen and the missing ones miraculously appear. But I forgot to do it today so I don't know if they are here or not. I'll just save this, and check.

No, still no Joan or Barbara. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Healthy pasta primavera

Byย Good Food team

A healthy spaghetti dish full of broad beans, leeks and asparagus tips. Make the most of spring greens with this vibrant, filling pasta recipe

Ingredients

• 75gย young broad beansย (use frozen if you can't get fresh)
    • 2 x 100g packย asparagusย tips
    • 170gย peasย (use frozen if you can't get fresh)
    • 350gย spaghettiย or tagliatelle
    • 175gย pack baby leeksย , trimmed and sliced
    • 1 tbspย olive oilย , plus extra to serve
    • 1 tbspย butter
    • 200mlย tub fromage fraisย or creme fraiche
    • handful fresh chopped herbsย (we used mint, parsley and chives)
    • parmesanย (or vegetarian alternative), shaved, to serve

Method

• STEP 1
    • Bring a pan of salted water to the boil and put a steamer (or colander) over the water. Steam the beans, asparagus and peas until just tender, then set aside. Boil the pasta following pack instructions.
    • STEP 2
    • Meanwhile, fry the leeks gently in the oil and butter for 5 mins or until soft. Add the fromage frais to the leeks and very gently warm through, stirring constantly to ensure it doesnโ€™t split. Add the herbs and steamed vegetables with a splash of pasta water to loosen.
    • STEP 3
    • Drain the pasta and stir into the sauce. Adjust the seasoning, then serve scattered with the cheese and drizzled with a little extra olive oil.

YUMMY, and it's veggie too. I'm sure Toni can veganise it.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone Sue heard on the news that the pandemic is over.

Kath ((())) I'm sorry Holly has treated you like that I remember the 20 pound that got lost sorry to say about it ((())) I hope you can sort it all out ((())) we use Lloyd's pharmacy it's 5 minutes a way. Love to Chris ((())) try not to fall out about Holly. Love to Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Toni ((())) how did your journey go on Wednesday. Love to Paul ((())) Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) Lucy ((())) Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((())) have a good time with P ((())) this afternoon.

Mike ((())) I hope Elliott ((())) does not have to wait too long for his blood count to rise and everything is alright for him to have it done.

Barbara ((()))) how are you we are thinking about you ((()))

love to Bill ((())) Chris ((())) Carol (((()))) Mig ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • dachshund
    Options

Toni ((())) I have just seen your last post above Kath's post for today. I'm glad you had a good time I thought it was the time you were taking you car to the show but now I think it's later in June. ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    Options

Sorry I didn't post yesterday totally forgot with my neice being here..we sat abd put the world to right in the shed..and had afternoon tea in there ๐Ÿ˜€

Kath si sorry you are having trouble with Holly you have been so good to her ..maybe to good ..but that's you ...like you say you have lost trust in her ..if only she had been upfront in the beginning..I hope you can trust her again xx

I'm so very pleased for Anita ...

And thankyou for the pie recipe never had cockles in a pie ๐Ÿฅงxx

Mike I will have everything crossed for Elliot ..and hopefully not long yo the last chemo xx

Toni I see everything worked in your mobile home ..now you are all ready fir your adventures ..and a giid bed and shower you have it made ๐Ÿ˜

I was glad ig the porridge especially very early its really chilly xx

Joan thankyou..sorry I have missed what's gone on with Sue's carer was it the one that is deaf..hope all is well with both of you and the doggies xx

Today I am pottering ..๐Ÿ˜

Love to all xxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    edited 24. Apr 2021, 06:18
    Options

I see Barbara's eyes weren't so bad yesterday!

Thank you yes the motorhome was fabulous I felt so safe only went out for a walk but got to see everything from the van. Everything we need is there. Mind I have got two new bruises will need to get used to the size of it!

Glad you enjoyed your porridge today is of course Aidan's breakfast, but they are straight out of the oven so nice and warm.

I hope your niece was ok? I bet you shed a few tears before putting the world to rights ((()))

Oh Kath ๐Ÿ˜’ I am sorry about Holly and very much hope this was a one off and things will be ok again. Although I do think once bitten twice shy maybe? and we can't have you and Chris falling out over this neither of you has done anything wrong at all!

I'm glad you have your magazine at least you need that to plan your televisual viewing!

I think maybe just some hospitals have bells? Especially children's wards. Such good news about Anita isn't it? Two strong sisters you are.๐Ÿ™‚

That pasta looks amazing and i think I can veganise it dead easily thank you ๐Ÿ˜˜

Morning Mike. What a shame a delay, but that's ok. Delays often happen don't they when bloods need to come back up. At Lucy's hospital they used to give some of the kids filgrastim by injection, but Lucy always refused it....she refused all injections๐Ÿ™„ They still talk about her needle phobia now the nurses and laugh she was a nightmare.

Elliott's will soon recover then he can go ahead. Maybe they will let him go home, but first they will probably observe for a day or so to see how fast they are rising in case it's easier to stay. Poor family though๐Ÿ˜• ((()))

Joan what a memory you have!! Yes it's the end of June for the car's 30th birthday (outdoor) event. Well it would be outdoors I suppose with being cars! The scarecrows are up I will post a pic in a minute and the village cart is out hopefully raising spirits and money too ๐Ÿ˜ ((())) for you and Sue xxx

Love to Chris I hope you are doing ok and have a lovely arty weekend planned. P is training me to paint our wooden signs for around the village. I am enjoying helping, but i know it's because she wants to know someone can and will do them.

Love of course to Carol Cookie and Mr T. ((()))

Right...

Aidan's breakfast hot croissants ๐Ÿฅ

• frogmorton
    Options

The scarecrow maypole is back! Wish that was our house behind!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) Holly is lucky to have that much money from you ((())) when we could not get out one year because of the snow we phoned the radio and asked if anyone around here we lived could get us some shopping we gave a list and they came with the things and we payed them. love to Chris ((())) Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Barbara ((())) that's good you had a nice chat with your niece ((())) love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni (((())) Good may pole and the scarecrow. Sorry you have bruises to remind you of your journey ((())) love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((()) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

love to Bill ((())) Chris ((())) Carol ((())) Mig ((())) and Mike ((())) and Elliott ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    Options

Evening all

Toni yes Aidans breakfast of croissants ..bless him

It was lovely to see my neice..very tearful but she needed to talk ..she's like a daughter to us..she has put a photo on face book ..and tagged me in it ,not sure if you can view it

So you have bruises..you will soon learn were all the tight spots are ..๐Ÿค”but lots of fun to come ๐Ÿ˜....I can't get over how good thr scarecrows are who has made them.. were you involved ..P will really enjoy knowing she us passing on all she's knows ..its keeping her going I'm sure xx

Joan that was nice that someone got your shopping after getting in touch with the radio ,that was really good thinking ..it shouldn't he long till your cafe is open ..Will you have the transport to get there xx

Love to everyone especially Elliot who I hope can get that treatment very soon xxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Morning everyone.

I hope Kath had a restful Saturday off the internet? We watched Father Brown and then Rebus last night Saturdays on telly is pretty dreadful! We had seen both before, but still enjoyed them again๐Ÿ™‚

Sleek came over so I know you are ok. She says you can reply on her she doesn't need money๐Ÿ˜ป

Morning Joan. Thank you the scarecrows do look good. P is still very much at the heart of village life bless her getting us all working. Very resourceful contacting the radio for help when you were snowed in. People can be lovely. Mostly they are good and kind.๐Ÿ˜Š Love to you and Sue ((())) xxx

Glad you enjoyed aidan's breakfast Barbara :) today we can be naughty!

Bless your niece I know how close you are she is your daughter having had boys yourself and supporting her over the years with one thing and another. Tears are good it shows just how much her Mum was loved and is absolutely fine.

Yes I will get less bruises next time. We have booked a short break in Weymouth next Paul's sister is there and we can do a garden visit. They have just moved there into a bungalow with a huge wide drive when it's legal we might pitch up there in future.

Yes I helped with the scarecrows of course they still make me jump when I drive in the village though๐Ÿ˜

Chris I hope all is ok with you? Have you ventured out again on your scooter in this lovely sunshine? I hear rain is on the way๐Ÿ™„

Carol how is the knitting going? is it finished yet? Love you you Miss Cookie and Mr T.

Mike Still thinking of you all and sending strength to Elliott and his family.((())) xxx Shall do a Cornish breakfast today just for you.

I am cat sitting for middle daughter for a few days so must get on!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Barbara ((())) that's good you are close to your niece to help her ((())) she knows she can rely on you when she wants to talk ((())) yes it will be soon when we can go to the cafe yes we can go by dial a ride but we like going by our scooters as well but the council are thinking of closing the subway we go under if they do we won't be able to go any more or go to the vets either. Love to Mr B ((())) your son ((()))) Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni ((())) how are sleek and Lucy's winnie getting on now (())) that is nice that P ((())) can help with things as well ((())) yes I bet you are looking forward to going to Weymouth nice place the sea is so close and staying at Paul's sister place as well. Love to Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and your lovely neighbours (())))

love to Bill ((())) Kath ((())) Chris ((())) Carol ((())) Mig ((())) Mike ((())) and Elliott ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Mike1
    Options

Mikeย Still thinking of you all and sending strength to Elliott and his family.((())) xxx Shall do a Cornish breakfast today just for you.

Thanks for everyone's kind thoughts and good wishes for Elliott, it is really heartening. As for breakfast I went to the village shop yesterday to get some bacon as I promised myself a fry up this morning, however I had a really bad night and woke with the worst neck pain I have ever had which has resulted in referred pain to my chest so instead of what was planned I have settled for 5 cups of tea so far and a couple of oat cookies. I ain't moving out of my recliner today!!

• Kitty
    Options

Morning everyone, thank you for being concerned about us. We did get the magazine eventually, and on Thursday and Friday she had a bouncy castle for Esmae's 7th birthday. I had to go outside for some reason, and she called me and waved. I waved back, so we are giving her another chance. Yes Joan, I also remembered the missing money. These things are sent to try us!

Toni, perhaps you should try some of Sleek's Hembrokayshun on your bruises. I know it's stinky but it does work.

I spent a lot of time either sleeping, or downloading loads of e-books onto my i-Pad. Phew, when am I going to read them all?

Chris has found a news item about a Roman Villa found in Leicestershire. We have a Roman settlement in the fields next to the River Trent. There's a housing estate built there now. I hope all are as well as can be expected. I have no news about Emily's allotment yet. But she's back at work now so only has evenings and weekends spare.

• Kitty
    Options

I'e just receved an email from Emily with her latest blog on it. Here is a link to it.

• barbara12
    Options

Hello all a glorious day here hope you all have the sun ๐ŸŒž

Toni you are famous for your mega breakfast my son saw the pic and thought I was weighing up a cafe ๐Ÿ˜€

It's so nice for P to still be involved wuth the village..I was wondering how long she has lived there ,and things are meant to be so you Paul and Lucy ended up there ๐Ÿ˜

Oh I adore Weymouth..such a lovely long beach and all the ferries ar the end xx

Mike I am hoping your neck has eased..and maybe a fryup tomorrow for you xx

Joan I hope they don't close the subway ..things are always changing and I don't like change anymore ...it will be nice fir you both to be able to visit your cafe xx

Kath I saw Emily's blog I always enjoy reading them ..gosh what a big allotment they have got. And really got stuck into it . a roman settlement how interesting xx

Right back to pottering in my garden and sitting in my shed

Love ti all xxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • CatLady1
    CatLady1 Member Posts: 64
    Options

Evening to all you lovely people on here.

Just realised that I have missed many days of visiting the cafe. I could do with the day being at least 4hrs longer. I start to do something and before I know it it's lunchtime and I'm only done half of what I wanted to do. Same with the afternoon it's teatime. Then I'm too tired to do any more. I am always feeling tired. Whether I sit and just do some scribble drawings or do something that takes more thinking about. Anyone got any spare energy?

Love Sleek's poem. Have got some ideas for it. Will have a go at putting those ideas to paper and see where it takes me. Busy tomorrow morning, but after lunch I'll have a go.L

Lovely to read all your posts and to enjoy Toni's snacks. Gentle hugs to: Toni. Kath. Barbara. Joan. Carol, Mike and one for Sleek.

Chris aka CatLady.

• Mike1
    Options

Mike I am hoping your neck has eased..and maybe a fryup tomorrow for youย 

Thanks, after doing nothing all day and my customary 3 hours kip my neck has eased a bit and the pain in my upper chest has also eased a bit as a result; it is obvious though that the dear old OA is spreading into my shoulders as well - deep joy! Anyway, definitely having my fry up this morning!

• frogmorton
    Options

Morning!

Oh Mike I absolutely hate necks they are the only thing worse than backs ๐Ÿ˜•Sounds as though you know your body very well and how to ease things enough to function. I hope the fry up was YUM! Without a doubt Elliott and you all have our support and remains in our thoughts. ((()))

Joan I do hope they don't close the underpass that would be awful๐Ÿ˜ฎ I don't think I have ever been to Weymouth, but i know there is sea and Paul's sister's husband has put us up an electric hook-up outside so we can still use our motorhome safely. The cats are still hissing, but Winnie uis scared of Paul too and hisses at him!! Love to you and Sue ((())) xxx

Kath I loved the blog! your Emily reminds me so much of you bless her. They have done LOADS in such a short space of time. Imagine it being right at the back of their house.๐Ÿ˜‰

The allotment picture is lovely too so 'happy'!

I am sort of glad you will give Holly another chance she was very helpful during the lockdowns wasn't she? and those children mean a lot to you so fingers crossed she knows she overstepped the mark and all will be well.

We went a drive out yesterday to get my posh coffee I had a Nero's (nod to our Aidan) which was fabulous from Buxton. So yes a ride over but not out in the Peak District. It was lovely just to see something different.

Imagine them finding a roman settlement! we have one near here at a place called Wall. We used to go there all the time with school.

Barbara how are you doing?and Niamh? and your bro?

I have never been to Weymouth so that will be great won't it? another safe adventure.

Busy day today Feeding Tia's cats - she is at Mikey's Mum and Dad's static. Then hairdressers for Lucy.

Tell your son this is the best cafe anything you fancy to eat and the best of company to eat and drink with๐Ÿ˜Š

P has lived in the village for about 40 years bless her and it means so very very much to her. I must take you all a pic of the cart now it's back out.

Chris! Good to see you I was about to start looking for you! Life can get very busy can't it? an extra 4 hours would be great Carol (aka turbogran) used to go to the shed and find her missing hours maybe yours are there too? It's at the bottom of the cafe's garden.

You have some ideas for Sleeks poem?! Oh that is exciting, but don't overdo it on her account she wouldn't want that and neither would I/we here. Sleek sends you a hug back.

If you have a nap do you feel any better? You could try it and set an alarm after an hour?

Right better get on cats to feed and let out!

Love to everyone

ready break we have ICE here

• Mike1
    Options

Just consumed my fry up, bacon was a bit too salty but I forced it down with copious amounts of tomato sauce! Thanks for everyone's continued good wishes for Elliott. xx