Val's Cafe

Options

Comments

• Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    Options

Isn't it lovely and warm again. I hope everyone is feeling as well as can be.

Joan, thank you I am feeling more rested today, I hope you, Sue and the doggies are also well. Enjoy your trip to your little café. I bet they've missed you and will be so pleased to see you again.

Chris, whoops - tomato sauce all down you. That's my trick. I hope the stain comes out. Fancy forgetting your prescription. mind you, it's a good job I have mine delivered or I'd be in a panic.

Toni, di I sound like a tractor? 🙄 The motor home does look a bit lost with all that space to stand in. I don't think there's a limit on cars, but surely they must have gone over the limit for guests, even if there was only one person per car.

Emily will be busy on her allotment, I think the hens will arrive this weekend so I'm hoping she will update her blog this coming weekend.

So, let's see what I can rustle up today.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options

Afternoon all what a lovely morning and a breeze

Sorry about yesterday must try harder

Toni thankyou fir keeping us fed..😁the mobile home does look so tiny un the barn..the anniversary fir the Figgaro sounds brilliant I can't wit to see some photos especially if you dressed up..and um sure Penelope will look splendid..yes bacon butter for Niamh got the thumbs up you know she enjoys it when her toes curl 😀xx

Joan I gave 2 new hips but no knees yet I have one hip joint much smaller than the other has well 😅so can't put my weight down to them you gave a nice day xx

Chris I'm so sorry you are poorly and had ti cancel ..but knowing you it won't be long before you are up and about again..it will be lovely to be out with your family xx

Kath I read things then forget but must have missed wgat Sharon said 🤔the stuffed pepper soynd really goid and I have to eat pepper for my kidneys thankyou xx

Few can't go back and check for any more typos ignore them

Love to Al

Xxxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    edited 1. Jun 2021, 05:51
    Options

Pepper is good for your eyes too Barbara - go YELLOW in your case 🙂

Oh good Grandad used the right bacon this time bless him! Niamh so so so loves her bacon butties doesn't she? You could get the paddling pool out for her she is still with you. In fact you had better just in case this is the only summer we get!!!

I will probably go dressed up I have lots of options....watch this space and will dress Penelope up too!

Joan it's a big weekend ahead at the end of the month, but I am looking forward to it very much. Did you get to your café? I do hope so I bet they were so pleased to see you back🙂

Kath l think my neighbours must have had too many people inside surely? They have already had COVID and you can see why can't you?

Oooh the chicken are coming! I bet Emily cannot wait bless her🙂 As soon as the blog is updated please do post the link if you can

Yes my our little motorhome looks just that! Little, but she is HUGE really! Well I didn't want to say anything about the snoring......but.... we are used to tractors so please just carry on!

The choccy cakes look yum I really must have a go with the vegan egg replacer.

Hi to Mike I have left the paddling pool out of you'd like to dip your toes that way you can avoid the tourists. ((())) to Elliott and family.

Sending love to Chris hoping she is over her 'bug' and feeling much better. As Barbara said knowing you it won't be long before you are up and about. Shame it was her one daughter's birthday.😕

Expecting to hear from Carol soon with a whole load of photos from Margate.

Now breakfast🤔

vegan scrambled eggs - give it a go and let me know what you think?

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,938
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((()) that's good you are feeling better. Yes we have Avocado's on a jacket potato. Love to Chris ((())) Anita ((())) Val ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Barbara ((())) I found a tkr was easer to get better from than a hip. Love to Mr B ((())) your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((())))

Toni ((())) how many Figaro's could be at the show. that's nice you have to line up in your colours I hope it's fine weather for it. Love to Paul ((())) Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

love to Carol ((()))Mig ((())) and Chris (((())) I hope you are feeling a bit better ((())) and Mike ((())) and Elliott ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Emily's latest blog (no chickens yet).

We watched the penultimate episode of The Pact, and we think we know who killed Jack. We're recording the final one tonight so we'll see if we've got it right. Coronation Street was a shocker! Everything is coming to a head.

Anti-Inflammatory Vegan Lentil Carrot Soup

Easy one-pot vegan lentil carrot soup with wilted greens and all the cozy spices! This is a budget-friendly anti-inflammatory soup perfect for fall or winter, great for meal prep and lazy weeknight dinners to feed your whole family. Endlessly customizable and so delicious!

Ingredients

• 1 cup red lentils, dry (190 g)
    • 1 Russet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
    • 2 carrots, cut into slices
    • 3 celery stalks, diced
    • 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
    • 3 garlic cloves, diced
    • 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth (950 ml)
    • 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
    • 1 large bunch parsley, finely chopped
    • 1 tbsp tomato paste
    • 1 cup canned diced tomatoes (240 ml)
    • 2 cups baby spinach (60 g)
    • 2 tsp cumin
    • 1 tsp turmeric
    • 2 tsp sweet paprika
    • ½ tsp coriander seeds
    • 1-inch ginger piece, peeled and grated
    • 1 tsp salt
    • Freshly ground black pepper

Instructions

1. Place a large pot over medium heat and add the onion, garlic, carrot, celery, potato and spices. Sauté everything in a splash of water for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
    2. Add the vegetable broth, tomato paste and diced tomatoes. Stir and bring to a boil before adding the dry lentils and mixing everything well.
    3. Turn the heat to low, cover the pot and let your soup simmer for 15 minutes until the lentils are cooked and the potatoes are tender, but not overcooked.
    4. Season your carrot lentil soup with salt and pepper, then add the spinach and let it simmer for five more minutes.
    5. Turn off the heat, add the chopped parsley and serve your homemade anti-inflammatory soup warm.

Notes

• Instead of fresh spinach, you can also use sturdy greens like kale.
    • Any leftovers can be stored covered in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
    • Popular swaps include sweet potatoes, winter squash, green lentils and green beans! Find more ideas in the article above.
    • Make sure to always add black pepper when using turmeric powder in your recipe to increase the health benefits.
    • Serve this vegan lentil soup on its own, with a side of rice, bread or salad.

This recipe picture looks delicious, but every time I try to post it I keep getting a spinning wheel. ☺️

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    Options

Evening all would you believe my washer has broke and it's not worth mending the parts are so expensive so a new one it is

Toni the vegan scrambled eggs look so good I will look for a recipe I'm not suppose to have egg yolks 😒

The pool we have for niamh us that large it will 9nly come out in the 6 weeks holidays 🙂then it stays put fir a while ..

It will be lovely to see all the Figgaros lined up xx

Joan thankyou for that ..have you had one knee or both I know you deal with things so well ..jacket potatoes are my favorite but with cheese and beans 😋xx

Kath I am still saving these recipes ,I can't the antinflamatorys so these are good

Oh I love Emily's blogs a girl after my own heart we love the 1940s so I will go and have a read thankyou xx

Love to all

Xxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Morning everyone! The sun is out again😊 , but I was a bit hot last night in bed....duvet on....duvet off and I sleep so badly anyway🙄🙂

Joan I expect there to be around 250 Figaros? The same thing is happening in France the same weekend and in other countries this year. They only made a small number of them so it's good there are still a few left. How many joint replacements have you had? Love to you and Sue ((())) xxx

Now that soup needs no alteration to be perfect for me Kath. I can't imagine much better than carrot and lentil soup love them both. Thank you 😘

Thank you a new blog we were asking after that the other day. No chickens yet? Ah well they will have the best home when it's time🙂

I know Coronation street is getting good. I am struggling with it;s later hour though. I want Maria to stay with Gary i don't think he is totally a bad lad his heart is in the right place most of the time.

Did you see Sleek this morning? Did she tell you how Chris is? I know she was popping there after yours yesterday.....she didn't say much to me as she was on a zoom meeting with Mrs Darcey and Rosie....

Aw Barbara - no pool yet? Never mind get the hose on Niamh instead! Yours is a lovely pool it really is. We haven't bought one for here yet. Perhaps when the kids starting having babies???🤨

It will be lovely seeing all the Figgys lined up I bet I will park mine really badly😳

Finally you can have a new washer!! Didn't it break before and hubby went and fixed even though you really wanted a new one?!!! hehehe!

Vegan scrambled eggs chick pea (gram flour) or in as egg mayonnaise it's mashed tofu in vegan mayo 😋

Had a migraine yesterday my head is still banging.

Mike how is your voice......unused as you are to public speaking.....and was the home help well?

Love to Chris I hope you are on the mend now?🤞 and to Carol who may well be back home. Waiting to see photos 🙂

I fancy buns for breakie

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

Mike how is your voice......unused as you are to public speaking.....and was the home help well?

Tickety-boo thanks. Home Help was rather naughty with birthday presents but I will get her back in August when it is hers. Vixen has spent the last few days and nights outside, apart from coming in for food, but with the storm last night and wet weather today she has resumed her normal place on my wheelchair. Had a phone call yesterday from the Equipment Loan people to say they will be delivering my new recliner on Thursday but would not give a time; when I reminded them that the old one had to be taken away they said that it was not their responsibility! After I managed to convince them that I could not get into my lounge on my wheelchair with two recliners in it they said that they would contact Tremorvah, who are responsible for servicing the chairs once issued, to remove the old chair probably today! So if they do come today I will be stuck in my wheelchair until the new recliner arrives tomorrow. Why they cannot coordinate themselves is beyond me.

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) Have a good day it's going to get colder again. Love to Chris ((())) Anita ((())) and Val (((()))) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Barbara (((()))) I have a hip and knee replacement my hip is 25 years and my knee is 18 years I have not had any trouble with them.

Good luck to you ((())) I hope you get a new washing machine. Love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your Brother ((()))) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni ((())) can you get a Figaro in any colour. Sorry about your migraine I hope it is a bit better today ((())) I have had a triple fusion on my foot and a op on my ankle they could not do a replacement my skin is to thin. love to Paul ((()) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Mike ((())) have a good day I don't understand why they can't bring one recliner and take the other either. Love to Elliott ((()))

love to Chris ((())) Carrol ((())) and Mig ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

It's nice and sunny here.

Toni, es Sleek did pop in but she was busy picking Dandelions for Holly's rabbit. She carried a basket on her back and chucked the leaves in it - a bit like a tea picker.

Then she read me the new story she is writing, all about tea pickers. It's rather good.

Joan, oh my goodness. I'll have to drag my winter woollies and vest out if it's going to get cold again. Thanks for the warning.

ANTI-INFLAMMATORY TURMERIC ROASTED CAULIFLOWER W/ TOASTED HAZELNUTS

INGREDIENTS

• 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
    • 1/4 cup avocado oil
    • 1 teaspoon cumin
    • 1 teaspoon turmeric
    • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • freshly cracked black pepper
    • 1/2 cup hazelnuts
    • 1/4 cup parsley, minced
    • 2 Tablespoons cilantro, minced
    • 1 Tablespoon mint, minced
    • 2 Tablespoons white wine vinegar

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the hazelnuts on a sheet tray and roast in the oven for 8 minutes, or until fragrant. Remove and set aside to cool.
    2. Increase the oven temperature to 400 degrees.
    3. In a mixing bowl, combine the oil, cumin, turmeric, crushed red pepper, salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Add the cauliflower and toss to coat. Spread the cauliflower in an even layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet (or two). Roast for 20-25 minutes until golden brown and fork tender.
    4. Transfer the cauliflower to a serving bowl. Add the roasted hazelnuts, fresh herbs and a splash of white wine vinegar. Toss to combine.

Turmeric and black pepper.

• barbara12
    edited 2. Jun 2021, 20:02
    Options

Evening all

Toni the heat at night has been bad ..I remember Aiden having a grumble and us talking about air cons..and gel pillows ..hope tonight's better fir you

I am sure you will park perfectly oh abd thankyou for the tea cakes love them

I bought Niamhs pool off Facebook Market place I save a fortune on thete and its only recycling xx

Mike what are they like I hope they pick up your chair before the new one is delivered ...xx

Joan blimey your hip and knee have done really well ..think that is down to how tiny you are are 🙂 note to me lose some weight ..I have out a lot on since stopping going to the gym ..love to all of you xx

Kath is there a new story coming about tea pickers..another good recipe and it looks delicious..we heard a talk on the radio about inflammation in arthritis..the bloke put turmeric in everything xx

Love to all

Xxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    edited 3. Jun 2021, 05:27
    Options

Morning everyone!

To let you know our Chris (AKA Catlady) is really rather poorly at the moment. Her 'bug' at the weekend turned out to be far more serious and she has in been in hospital since Saturday. Various tests have taken place as you can imagine with no definite answer yet, but maybe today as she had a scan yesterday. She is on morphine which is helping a little with her pain.

Sending you LOVE from us all here Chris GET WELL SOON!

Mike you had a storm? That's what we need here it's so muggy. Stop moaning Toni😳 Your home help really sounds lovely nice that she spoilt you🙂 I hope you have some ideas ready for her birthday?

The recliner saga is a bit mad - does no-one ever think? It's ridiculous surely you can't be the only person who can't fit more than one in they are hardly small! Vixen will not be impressed if you are in 'her' seat!!

Gosh Joan you have had lots done haven't you? So reassuring how long your replacements have lasted. You can certainly related to Chris' ankle then last year can't you? Figaros only came in 4 colours mine and any others in unusual colours are resprays. They were spring summer Autumn and Winter I will try to find you a photo.

Kath isn't Sleek getting clever with her writing? She uses that basket here to pick things up too she does look rather like a tea picker bless her. Can she eat her cockles with you? She will probably be able to tell you exactly what is wrong with Chris won't she being cleverer than the Drs as you know......

She is checking in on her, but says they are looking after her well.

I've only just put my vests away for the winter and I need to get them back out?!

Lovely roasted cauliflower I really do like the sound of that thank you very much indeed😍

Barbara yes Aidan hated it too hot he used to melt didn't he?

My aircon was on in the bedroom yesterday and had to be emptied it got up to 27.7 phew!!!!

That pool is lovely as you say it is recycling. It's in the way for someone else but spot on for you just now.

'Note to you to lose some weight'🙄easier said than done that but please do eat our buns remember no calories in here😊

When is the new washer coming? Aidan would have been interested in that too!

Perfect they are!

• Mike1
    Options

Fortunately they did not collect my recliner yesterday so I presume that they will today, hopefully in coordination with the delivery of the new one. (Just looked out of the window and saw a flying pig!!) If they don't get their act together I will set Vixen on them.

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) are you getting your Tesco's deliveries alright. Sue gets ours from Sainsburys and they have not got everything. Love to Chris ((())) Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad (())

Barbara ((())) thank you I eat everything I move Sue's hoist 3 times a day from one room where it's charging to her bedroom for the carers. Love to. Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Toni ((())) thank you for saying about Chris ((())) she's not having a lot of luck is she I'm sorry ((())) thank you for saying about the colours of the Figaro's. I hope you have a good night tonight ((())) love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P (((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Mike good luck today((())) love to Elliott ((()))

Love to Chris ((())) Carol ((())) and Mig ((())

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

Hello all, firstly I have had a message from Yvonne and sent her this reply.

"Yvonne, I totally agree with this, thank you.

My statement is:

'We in Val's Café are pleased to state that we have written and collated all the poems in our lovely book "Tails From The Café" for the enjoyment of everyone who chooses to download them and give a small donation to Versus Arthritis.'

May I suggest a minimum donation of £20.

I will share this post on Val's Café and I know they will all agree to this. Thank you for all your help."

We can officially get excited now. YIPPEE!

Joan, yes thank you we usually get our Tesco orders all right. We sometimes get alternatives but we usually accept them. I think everyone who buys online have the same problems with deliveries. I remember when we used to shop instore there were some items out of stock. We would buy something similar.

Barbara, you will have to ask Miss Sleek about the tea planter story. She is far better at writing than me. I might have a go at a poem though. I remember Aidan complaining he was melting in the heat. I do love tea cakes, toasted or not.

Toni, of course Sleek can eat her cockles with me. We'll have a grand old natter too. She is a wonderful writer, I get all my best ideas from her. Here is Yvonne's message to me.

"Hi Kath,

Progress has been made! Sharon has been consulting with our colleagues from a couple of departments so we get this just so. This is what we plan to do, if you are in agreement

We can post a link to the poems in our community. This will clearly state that you have written and collated the poems and pictures for everyone's enjoyment. I'm hoping you might write the introduction for this.

We can point to the general donation on the VA website. As people are donating there is a 'free text' box where people can mention that it's a donation for the poems from the Online Community. The people that check this will then let us know how much has been raised when they do their stats. I can write the bit for this, we can use the words 'suggested donation' so if you have a figure I can put it in or we can leave people to choose how much.

Lastly I need you to confirm that everyone who contributed is happy to go ahead with this plan.

Bryn will make a special announcement to get us going as soon as we are ready.

I'll be one of the first donors as I had a sneak preview and think they are just great!

Yvonne x"

I hope you agree too. I took an executive decision. We have decided to suggest a donation in single figures. I'm confident it will be a success.

• Kitty
    Options

THE BOOK should be online this afternoon. 😍 Our moderators are brilliant.

Meanwhile here is my latest poem inspired by Miss Sleek

The Tea Pickers of West Bengal

Above the northern horizon,

the Himalayas rose glass-blue. 

Tea bushes stretched 

like topiary for miles

Lalita waded through the waist-high bushes,

stooped over with laden basket. 

She gazed around at every sound

watching for Leopards which prowled.

Kathleen Thorpe

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Just to let you all know that Tales From The Cafe is now a featured Category at the Online Community front page and you should now see an announcement at the top of Recent Posts.

Message me if there is anything that needs changing with the entry. Comments are open and other Discussions can be added to the Category.

Best wishes to all in the Cafe

Bryn

• Kitty
    Options

WHOOPEE thank you so much Bryn. We love you forever.

• Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options

Hi everyone

We had a good week last week in Ramsgate we really enjoyed it, was just what we needed. We came back late Saturday afternoon we were both shattered it was a hectic full on 4 days. I have suffered some real payback pain wise since we have been back but it was all worth it. We then had church on Sunday and since then up until yesterday I have been very tired. Had a lovely meal with eldest daughter on the Thursday evening in Canterbury to celebrate her 50th Birthday which was back in April.

I didn’t take many photos and as I was using my camera, I need to find the cord that goes from camera to iPad to transfer them directly with out putting them on laptop first I haven’t used the camera for ages so I am not quite sure where it is. As soon as I manage to get that done I will post them.

Rubie has a injured elbow at the moment the hospital said it was a pulled elbow something that happens to children under 6 apparently, when I looked it up it’s basically a partial dislocation. They have put it back in place now and she is ok . How she did it no one knows she just wouldn’t move it and if she did she screamed.

Kath I have seen your post about your book of poems but cannot seem to download it but I will keep trying

i am now feeling a lot better in myself so I hope to post more in the cafe now.

I didn’t manage to finish the baby jacket I am knitting but as it is for 3-6 months it doesn’t matter. I had difficulties in picking up the stitches for the hood but now that is underway. And hopefully we can visit covid permitting in August after she has had baby so I have a little extra time. If we can’t go I will post it.

Cookie has followed me everywhere I go since Tuesday when Mr T collected her from the cattery so she must have missed me. We couldn’t have her back before Tuesday as they are not open for collection Sundays or Bank Holidays.

well I think that is all for now

Love and Sparkles to you all.❤️❤️🌈🌈

Stay positive always👍xx
  • barbara12
    Options

Firstly sending much love and healing hugs for our Chris..and wishing you a speedy recovery 💞💞

Toni thankyou fir letting ys know about Chris

Aidan used to telk me wgat kind 8f air com to get and I never did but got the chillows bless him

Thankyou fir the crumpets calorie free 7s good 👍Xx

Joan you do work hard with the hoist I bet the carers love you..my work is in the garden ,but in winter that stops..love to all of you xx

Mike yes set Vixen on them you don't need two recliners in the room ..hope its picked up soon xx

Thankyou so much to Brynmor for getting the poems published on the forum

Kath you are a star its brilliant and the one from Toni ...it has all come together after all your hard work, I have had a read of a couple will go back later thankyou xx

Love ti all

Xxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Mike I always set Sleek on poor service people.....she can be quite cutting on the phone. I have no doubt Vixen will have something to say if YOU have the nerve to be sat in her wheelchair!

Joan I am sorry I forgot to look for a pic of the Figaro's real colours for you with all the excitement about THE BOOK! You keep busy moving the hoist around all day don't you? I took Kari to see P yesterday and we all repainted some of the village signs. So restful it was. ((())) xxx

I hope Aidan has all the chillows he needs up in heaven Barbara, but suspect it's already ambient temperature up there. Big word there for a Friday!

Glad you enjoyed your calorie free crumpets! Cheese on toast today I am feeling.🤔

I am looking forward to our garden being finished I will try to get photos as the work starts😫

I reckon the carers will love going to Joan and Sue's because they are so nice to them and respectful and appreciative.

Now that is good Carol i think you are back! Sounds as though that break is exactly what you both needed. Rest a while the pains will ease back to 'normal levels' in time. Glad you got your belated meal out with your eldest daughter finally!

Poor little Rubie awful I wonder if she was trying baton twizzling and got it wrong 😓 ((())) poor little soul. That must have really hurt.

We can see the photos as and when no rush same for the knitting now you have until August🙂

I managed to download the book try again tomorrow if not maybe see if Brynmor can help you?

Well I never! Kath we do INDEED love @Brynmor forever! I absolutely love it!!! I have printed my copy off already and it has been stolen by a certain Miss Slimkins of Sleekness!

What a preener she is! I hope it makes loads of money for VA. If it only makes some we enjoyed it being made and it was something you/we could do so feels good🙂

The tea-picker poem! By the heck girl you are fast! I can't believe it it took me two weeks to write mt poem about you and yours is done in 30 seconds. I expect it's how the mind works🤗

Some GOOD news regarding Chris she is finally on the mend and I am very much hoping very soon we will see her again back posting in the café. Oh i just realised she doesn't know about the book yet!

Breakfast today Welsh Rarebit.

• Mike1
    Options

New chair delivered yesterday afternoon but they did not fit the risers which raise the chair by 2 inches to make it easier to sit on because "they were not allowed to", apparently I have to ask the people that give it an annual service and inspection. The old chair is blocking my lounge making it difficult to navigate around due to being on crutches but, joy of joys, it should be going this morning. Vixen decided to go pottering instead of helping me out with the delivery people but did use the old chair as a scratching post when she came back in.

• Kitty
    Options

Morning all my lovely friends, lots of good news today - except for poor little Rubie (((()))).

Mike, ho ho good on Vixen for using your old chair as a scratching post. Vixen 1 chair 0 .

Carol, good to hear you and Mr T had a good holiday. We will look forward to the pictures when you find your connecting cable to get them off the camera.

Barbara, I'm so pleased you managed to download THE BOOK and are getting through the poems bit by bit. we should all be proper proud of our Bryn, Sharon and Yvonne for all their hard work organizing it.

Joan, you must have muscles on your muscles moving the hoist. I've moved hoists in the past, but I couldn't do it now. Bless you.

Toni, so  Miss Slimkins of Sleekness has pinched your copy of THE BOOK. Perhaps she intends making multiple copies and selling it to raise money for the local cat's home. I wonder if we will be able to find out just how much money we did raise. Pats on the backs all round I think. Now for a celebratory supper.

Pear, walnut & blue cheese tart

Let seasonal pears take centre stage in this marvellous walnut and blue cheese tart. It makes an ideal starter, lunch or alternative cheese course

Ingredients

For the pastry

For the filling

• 1 tbsp butter
    • 1 tbsp olive oil, plus an extra 1-2 tsp
    • shallots, sliced into half-moons
    • small bunch of sage, finely chopped
    • 200g chard, stalks finely chopped and leaves roughly chopped
    • pears, halved, cored and sliced
    • 3 large eggs
    • grating of nutmeg
    • 150g crème fraîche
    • 150g gorgonzola dolce or vegetarian alternative, torn into bite-sized pieces
    • 50g walnut halves

Method

• STEP 1
    • To make the pastry, blitz the walnuts in a food processor until they resemble breadcrumbs. Add the flour and a large pinch of salt. Pulse briefly to combine, then add the butter and pulse until it resembles large crumbs. Add the egg yolk and pulse until the dough comes together (add 1 tbsp cold water if it seems dry). Squash the dough into a disc, then wrap in baking parchment and chill for at least 30 mins.
    • STEP 2
    • Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/ gas 5. Heat the butter and 1 tbsp oil in a heavy-based frying pan or skillet over a medium heat, and cook the shallots, sage and chard stalks for 5-8 mins until soft and starting to caramelise. Add the chard leaves and continue to cook until wilted, then remove from the heat.
    • STEP 3
    • Put the chilled pastry between two sheets of baking parchment and roll out to the thickness of a £1 coin. Use it to line a 20cm tart tin, then chill for 30 mins until firm. Toss the pear slices in 1-2 tsp oil on a baking sheet.
    • STEP 4
    • Scrunch up a sheet of baking parchment and use it to line the pastry case, then fill with baking beans. Bake for 15 mins, alongside the pears. Remove both from the oven. Remove the parchment and beans from the pastry case, then bake for 8-10 mins more, until the bottom is golden and crisp.
    • STEP 5
    • Lightly beat the eggs in a bowl, then season with some nutmeg and whisk in the crème fraîche. Stir in the cheese. Pour half the mixture into the tart case, then layer in two-thirds of the chard mixture. Arrange the roasted pear slices and remaining chard mix on top, then pour over the remaining custard. Dot over the walnut halves, then bake for 28-30 mins, or until golden and cooked through. Leave to cool for 20 mins, then slice and serve.

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) thank you for all the hard work with the book ((())) Good luck with it. The moderators are good doing all they are i hope it raises a nice amount of money for them ((()))) have a good weekend all of you. Love to Chris ((())) Anita ((())) Val ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Barbara ((())) your garden is lovely ((())) it takes hard work to keep it nice ((())) love to Mr B ((())) your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Carol (())) that's good you enjoyed your holiday sorry about Rubie's elbow I bet that hurt she's a brave little girl ((())) love to Mr T ((())

Toni ((())) that's alright about the photo of the Figaro ((())) Rashid has booked to have her jab with out her family knowing they would not want her to have it. That's good P and Kari and you painting the street signs ((())) thank you for saying about Chris ((())) that' good she's feeling better ((())) love to Paul ((())) Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) Lucy ((())) Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Mike ((())) I hope your recliner goes today ((())) love to Elliott ((())) and vixen ((()))

Love to Chris ((())) Mig ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    Options

Morning all our roofers were supposed to come today but guess what there van is broke so Monday now our granddaughter and fiance are coming on Sunday day for 10 days gosh uts been 18 months since we saw them can't wait

Carol we must have posted at the same time yesterday so sorry ti hear about Rubie bless and glad you are all nice and rested now xx

Joan I do love to garden I have my built up stool to sit on abd long handled trowel so I'm happy were there a will..I am glad your carer us having get jab love to all if you

Toni that is so nice to hear Chris is on the mend ..she a tough lady

So all signs are painted it a shame they won't be having best village..

Thankyou for the cheese on toast I still haven't found the low salt one in tesco ..xx

Kath you must carry on writing who knows were it will go

The mods have dine brilliant ...I am loving the poems I have donated but forgot to mention book 🙄 thankyou for another goid recipe xx

Mike I bet Vixen thinks the other recliner is for her 😅xx

Love to all please ignore any typos

Xxxx

Love
    Barbara