Val's Cafe

Options

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options

Morning all sorry about yesterday what with feddera play tennis and England winning I forgot

Toni im so sorry to hear about Lucy breaking her ankle..many hugs for her and you ((())) ❤

A lovely picture of you really do look the part 😀xx we haven't had any rain apart from the bit a few days ago ..I'm so glad the weather was goid for you xx

Joan thankyou for thinking if us love to all of you xx

Kath so Holly is having a good time ..just hope the children are..i am sure they are 😁

Thankyou for the pie recipe a long time since I made one ..and never made hot water pastry xx

Mike have I missed the chockie biscuits ..I bet your home help loves coming to you xx

Love to all

Xxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • Kitty
    Kitty Member Posts: 3,583
    edited 2. Jul 2021, 08:37
    Options

Morning my lovelies. The sun has just come out after a dull start.

Joan, the scaffolding is looking a bit lonely as nobody has been to fix the roof yet! I hope you, Sue and the dogs are well.

Toni, here are the girls on the beach.

Elayna and Duke.

They all visited a pub called The Sands

Holly an Elayna by the caravan.

I am so sorry to hear Lucy has a broken Fibula. She has gone through so much - and all due to Cancer.

My tummy as been very naughty today, but the pain has gone now.

Chickpea Turmeric Stew

Hearty and spicy chickpea turmeric stew, made with nutrient-packed sweet potatoes and fragrant fresh turmeric! Gluten-free, vegan recipe.

Ingredients

For the chickpea turmeric stew:

• 1 tbsp vegetable oil (or use coconut oil)
    • 1/2 yellow or white onion diced (or use 1 shallot)
    • 1 to 2 serrano or jalapeno peppers finely chopped (use 2 if you like it spicy)
    • 3 cloves garlic minced
    • 1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
    • 1 and 1/2 tbsp minced fresh turmeric root (about 3 inches) (or use 1 and 1/2 tsp. dried turmeric, added along with the curry powder)
    • 1/2 tbsp mild curry powder
    • 1 and 1/2 cups full-fat coconut milk (equal to 1 14-oz. can)
    • 1 cup water
    • 1/2 cup 100% pineapple juice
    • 2 tsp soy sauce (or tamari or liquid aminos)
    • 1 medium to small potato cubed
    • 1 medium to small sweet potato cubed
    • 1 and 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas rinsed and drained (equal to a standard can)
    • 2 tbsp freshly-squeezed lime juice

Instructions

For the chickpea turmeric stew:

1. In a saucepan, heat a small drizzle of neutral oil (I used grapeseed oil) over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the shallot with a sprinkle of salt, and stir. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until starting to soften.
    2. Add the pepper, garlic, turmeric, and ginger with another sprinkle of salt, and stir. Cook for 5-7 more minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the shallot is soft. Add the curry powder and cook for 1 more minute, stirring frequently.
    3. Stir in the coconut milk, water, pineapple juice, soy sauce, and cubed potatoes and sweet potatoes, along with another fat pinch of salt. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil.
    4. Once the mixture boils, reduce the heat to a steady simmer and cover the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through.
    5. If desired, use the back of your spoon to mash up some of the potatoes to thicken the stew slightly. Stir in the cooked chickpeas and lime juice and let simmer partially covered for 5-10 more minutes.
    6. Season to taste with salt and additional lime juice. Serve hot, with rice and fresh herbs if desired. (Mine is topped with cilantro).

Edit: this post has been edited to remove advertising links embedded within the recipe to products on Amazon. - Brynmor

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options

Evening everyone

What a couple of days after waiting 2 weeks for a engineer to do a small repair to our boiler he comes yesterday to repair but without the part books to do it today. However this morning mr T wakes up to a message on the NHS track and trace app to say he should isolate for 8 days as he has had close contact with someone who has tested positive for Covid. So the engineer was unable to come in to do the boiler as it is not an emergency. KłNeither of us has any symptoms so I’m hoping it stays that way he is waiting for a home test to be delivered in the next 48 hours. Keeping fingers crossed it doesn’t come back positive. He is not a happy bunny tonight. Also today after sending my dr photos of a very dry itchy rash I have on my lower legs she thinks I have eczema so has prescribed some cream which can be used as a cream and used as a soap substitute washing.

other than that things are ok at the moment and I have my fingers firmly crossed that 1 mr T gets a negative test and we don’t get any symptoms and 2 that this cream works and that it is only eczema.

this is only a quick message as I just needed to rant a bit and needed a little bit of sanity in this mad mad world. And I also need to do a couple of jobs. Think I might be on here a bit more than I have been just for that little bit of Sanity think I’m gonna need it.

love and sparkles to all

❤️❤️❤️🌈🌈🌈

Stay positive always👍xx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options

Sorry if I already posted this one...Penelope is the pink car.

I just lost my post pressed the wrong place and ended up back on recent posts🙄

Mike I totally believe the Dr just doubled the BP meds no discussion...hope the next blood letting (!) attempt is successful. At least your BP should be down after seeing your Home help in the morning first🙂 Any news about Elliott?

Joan you watch more sport than me. I ignore all football even if it is England. I can't cope with the racket! Now tennis is much more civilised! Of course we must all watch the soaps. I see cracks appearing in Alina and Tyrone's silly relationship do you? ((())) xxx

Barbara yes indeed the tennis has been good this year though i would love to be there!

Thank you I felt silly getting dressed up but loads of others did too and in September I ahve to dress up again for Paul's Goodwood event. I have to go he came to mine!

The only rain we had was Monday morning 4.30am the day we were coming home. It was fine I love rain in a caravan. So holidayish? New word maybe I know Aidan would approve!

Kath look at the girls on the beach they are getting filthy! Bless them and Holly's sister looks a lovely girl too with Duke. Bless him I bet he loves the sand too.

It certainly looks as though everyone is having a great holiday I am so pleased Nothing like a caravan is there. Memories😊

Yes Lucy will live with the consequences of cancer for life but it has made her stronger too to be fair. You knwo all about that. Poor tum but I am glad the pain has eased ((()))

That chickpea stew looks lovely😋 thank you so much I love things lightly spiced like that and chickpeas and sweet potatoes are so good for you.

OMG! Carol! You must be so scared. I wonder who it was he was in near contact with? At least you are both vaccinated so if you do get COVID it will be way way milder than it would have been without. Perhaps someone at Church?🤔 The boiler will wait - your health comes first every time ((()))

Hey rant away that's one of the things we all do best isn't it? It helps to get stuff off your chest. Please do call in any time.

I also hope the Dr is right about the rash my sister gets one too but only on one leg she says it swells slightly and she thinks it's circulation.

Miss Cookie will be looking watching over you both Sleek has sent an anti-viral potion to her so expect your tea to taste odd as she'll be sneaking it in!

Poor Chris called in yesterday and posted went off to do something came back an dher post had gone. She was too tired after her procedure the day before to try again, but she did read all our posts.

I am feeling quite peckish this morning....

So going for this it will fill us up!

Take care everyone

• frogmorton
    edited 1. Jul 2021, 06:26
    Options

We met a lovely young couple who took this pic of Penelope with us in he

r!! How wonderful is this?

• frogmorton
    Options

Sorry I promise not to post any more! But look at penelope's behind isn't it adorable? That's the boot rack my brother put on for me. I have got a picnic basket but the was inside.

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    Options

Good morning everyone

Barbara ((())) I'm glad you are all alright ((())) how is your brother ((())) love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((()))

and your brother ((())) and his girlfriend ((()))

Kath ((())) it's nice to see Holly's children enjoying there selves ((())) I hope you don't have to wait too long for your roof to be fixed ((())) love to Chris ((())) Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((()))

Carol ((())) sorry to hear about Mr T ((())) let's hope he's clear ((())) I hope your boiler can soon be fixed ((())) love to everyone ((()))

Toni ((())) sue likes rugby your car is lovely you must feel proud going a long in it ((())) I think Tyrone still likes fizz.

Love to Paul ((())) and Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) she has had so many things wrong ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Chris ((())) sorry you lost your post ((()))

love to Mike ((())) and Elliott ((())) and Mig ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Kitty
    Options

I'm having a FED UP type of day.

Reasons

1. 1. still no roof works happening!
    2. Asthma and Hay fever driving me nuts!
    3. Fatigue!
    4. .Digestion is playing up!

That's enough.

Oh dear Carol, that isn't good news. Yes you will have to keep your eye on Miss Cookie. I hear on the radio this morning that cats and dogs can catch Covid19.

Joan, I knew you would like to see the photos of my little surrogate family (as if I don't have a big enough family already).

Barbara, I do hope you are quite well in spite of everything.

Toni, thank you for the beans on toast, I'm feeling a bit peckish myself.. And don't apologize for posting more pics of Penelope. She's a delight. I can fully appreciate Lucy's problems as a lot of mine were as a result of Cancer (Vasculitis, Osteoporosis).

Slow-roast spiced whole celeriac with raita

Ingredients

• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
    • 2 tbsp sunflower oil
    • ½ tsp ground coriander
    • ½ tsp ground turmeric
    • 1 tsp nigella seeds
    • 1 tsp cumin seeds
    • 1 whole celeriac, around 900g-1kg

To serve

• 200g Greek-style yogurt
    • ½ cucumber, deseeded and diced
    • zest and juice of ½ lemon
    • 1 tbsp chopped mint, plus extra leaves to garnish
    • a pinch of ground cumin
    • 4-6 tbsp mango chutney

You can prep the celeriac, in its foil, the day before, ready to roast

1. Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan 170°C, gas 5. Mix the crushed garlic with the oil, spices and seasoning in a small bowl.
    2. Scrub the celeriac well under running water, then pat dry – there’s no need to peel it. Put 2 long strips of foil in a cross on the counter and sit the celeriac in the middle. Spoon the spiced oil over the top of the celeriac, then wrap up in the foil, sealing well, but leaving some room rather than hugging the foil too tightly to the celeriac. Pop in a roasting tin and into the oven for 21⁄2 hours, or until it’s tender when pierced.
    3. When almost ready to serve, combine the yogurt, cucumber, lemon zest and juice, mint, ground cumin and seasoning in a bowl.
    4. Open up the celeriac and carve into wedges. Serve on warmed plates with the spiced oil from the foil parcel spooned over, along with the raita and mango chutney, plus a few extra mint leaves.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A Heinlein

• barbara12
    Options

Hello all Another very warm day keep them coming 😁

Toni I am loving the photos of Penelope..especially her behind 😁 and you and Paul if course 🥰keep them coming. I am sure Lucy is much stronger having gone through si much ..i hope she recovers very soon and can get back to work..I know she likes to be workingxx .poor Chris hope she is recovering OK xx....I am loveing the tennis and would you believe u watched the football on my own till the last 10 mins ..xx

Joan thankyou my brother is doing ok lost some weight has he can't eat has much but he is having high calories and some beer 😉 love to all of you xx

Carol poor you and Mr T..some of these test are hit and so hoping he will be clear when his arrives xx

Kath how lovely to see the children on the beach I'm so glad the weather is good

So sorry you are suffering ..my eldest brother suffered with hay-fever and asthma..so I know how bad that can be on top if all your other illnesses..sending you some very gentle hugs hope they help ((((()))) and thankyou for the chickpeas and turmeric stew and celeriac..something I have only just started cooking with in soups xx

Love to everyone

Xxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • YvonneH
    YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
    Options

Hi cafe people,

Thanks for calling me @frogmorton so these posts that need us to say where they came from. I think it’s fine if it’s just a generic photo of food or similar. If there are any words then you need to include where they came from. Just a link to the site at the end of the comment is fine.

Wonderful photo of you and Penelope, how smart you both are.

love to you all

Yvonne x

• Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options

Afternoon everyone

I am doing this post in my favourite place for my me time and my coffee. Mr T got his test kit this morning so when he has done it I will take it and post it we are both ok no symptoms in fact while I am out mr T is giving our living room a good spring clean. Our Ashley is 4 today can’t believe it he was about 15 months when his mum and our grandson got together. That time has gone by so quickly. Our youngest GD should be having her baby any time. So we have that to look forward too. It will probably be born before her due date because of a some liver problem that occurs in pregnancy that can cause problems with baby and mum. She is being scanned every week at the moment. They usually induce the birth any time after the 37 week stage which in her case is a week tomorrow as they don’t normally leave it longer. She hopefully will know more when she has this weeks scan.

Dr says after me sending pictures of the rash on my legs that it looks like eczema. So she has prescribed me some cream which she has put on my repeat subscription.I have collected it today so will have to see if it works. she has even put it on my repeat prescriptions she must be confident that it will work. We shall see I must stop here and save my post to complete later and get home to take mr T test to post.

Hi back again oh my good grief the hassle with the test when he did 1 during surge testing that was done the was done earlier in the year he had at a test centre so he didn’t do it himself it was done for him. When I had mine done done I did it in a local chemist the guy at the till registered my test on line for me ,then had to go into a small room lit was all laid out for me was told what I had to do and left to do it. They then packed it up and sent it off. And because I said to him I don’t need to read how to do the actual test I got moaned at because I didn’t know how to register it. men argh 😠 anyway hopefully it is ok because it might have missed the post with all the faffing about. Also when trying to register it on line for him using his phone I thought it was registered on the track and trace app where he got the message and find out he didn’t need to do the blooming test anyway because it only said he had to isolate. I won’t say what I could have called him.

Youngest GD called me this evening and if all goes well, with her and baby she will be induced on the 17th of this month when she will be 38 weeks and 2 days so by 17th of July we will have a new great granddaughter. 2 weeks earlier than we expected. And they estimate baby weighs about 5 lb 7ozs now so that’s good. It amazing what they can tell by all the scans. Anyway I must leave it there for today.

will speak again soon thank you all for your love.

love and Sparkles to you all

❤️❤️❤️🌈🌈🌈

Kath yes I have seen that about Cats and Dogs getting covid.

Stay positive always👍xx
  • frogmorton
    Options

Morning Joan thank you I am very proud of Penelope, but gosh some of them are in immaculate condition! I'll post a photo of the inside of one in a bit. Lucy is doing fine and Winnie has stopped hissing at the boot now so they are happy 😊 I went to see my lovely neighbours she is on bed rest ATM on the nurse's orders 😕 How are you and Sue doing? ((())) xxx

Kath you poor girl! Sending some ((())) to you this time of year is adding to your problems isn't it. My breathing isn't great ATM either no Kari's. Cancer survivors live with so much. One of my friend's is living with incontinence of the bowel. Dreadful. Still at least you are here for which I am very grateful indeed!!!

Not impressed that the roof still has yet to be started.....reckon they think putting up the scaffolding is showing willing?🙄

Thank you for the celeriac dish I love the stuff it's so flavourful isn't it? that recipe looks mouthwatering if you read what's gone in it.

@YvonneH I think you mean like when Kath has credited the Osteoporosis society with recipes then?

Barbara Penelope has a lovely behind doesn't she? I will take one with her picnic basket on when I get a minute spare😊

Lucy is already bored but intends to do her online modules probably next week and will also take the boot off when at rest as the consultant said she could. She'll get there quicker than most she is determined.

You actually chose to watch the football?! No-one made you?!😮

You sang well at choir last night! Outdoor practise at one of the soprano's house. Nice to have a nose!

Carol you are not having an easy time of it are you? So Mr T did not actually need a test? Oh dear but best he has one for your sake. You have asthma.

I'm sure it caught the post in time and you'll hear back very soon. We have been doing the lateral glow ones at home twice a week anyway so you could have had one of ours.

Well I am pleased to hear Mr T gave your living room a spring clean! I bet Cookie was pleased about that too (not!) they ahte it don't they?

Ashley is 4?! When did that happen?! Thye grow up far too fast.

I am very excited to hear that your new great-grandaughter will be arriving soon after the 17th of this month. Bless her just before the school holidays

Sending love to Mike and thinking of Elliott.

Chris I hope you are resting! xx

• frogmorton
    Options
  • frogmorton
    Options

Spotless!

• dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) I'm sorry you are fed up. What sweets do you like mine are dry roasted peanuts and liquorice toffee's not at the same time. Love to Chris ((())) Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((())) fatigue is bad enough I know it wears you down never mind your other problems((()))

Barbara (()) the football and the tennis will soon be over and we do see Coronation street when it's on at nine o clock Sue's in bed she watches it on her iPad while I let the dogs out and get ready for bed I get up at 6 o clock. Love to Mr B ((())) and your son ((())) and Niamh ((())) and your brother (((())) ( I'm sorry he not eating ) and his girlfriend ((()))

Carol ((())) the time goes so quick love to all of them ((())) and Mr T ((()))

Toni ((())) I sure your care is just has clean my dad used to say if you can see things lying around it show it's lived in.

I hope Lucy's ankle is not too painful ((())) love to Paul ((())) Charley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

love to Mike ((())) and Elliott ((())) and Mig ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Hi everyone

Just posting a little update about linking to content found elsewhere on the internet. I have drafted an initial guide on this: do read it through and also PM me with better wording if it doesn't make sense: I'm sure it will be updated once the Online Community team get to read it next week 😀

Here's a link to the guide: https://community.versusarthritis.org/discussion/54588/posting-links-to-sources

• Kitty
    edited 2. Jul 2021, 10:34
    Options

Hello my darlings, Tesco day again.

Barbara, (((()))) back to you to. They are always very welcome and I don't send them enough. I'm glad your brother is doing well, except for him losing weight. His G/F must be ecstatic that they have had so much time together. (((()))) to them both,

Carol, what a palaver. I bet Mr T isn't a happy bunny. Do you know how you contracted Covid in the first place?

Toni, when you said you were going to post a photo of Penelope's insides, I thought you meant upholstery etc - not her "bits". She is a beauty though. I hope Lucy is doing well, more hugs coming up. (((()))) for you and Paul, (((()))) for Lucy and of course (((()))) for Miss Sleek.

Vegan Chinese Kung Pao Tofu

Ingredients

1 pound firm or extra firm tofu (pressed and cut into bite-sized cubes)

For the Marinade:

3 tablespoons vegetable broth1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice2 tablespoons soy sauce (or tamari to keep it gluten-free)1 tablespoon sesame oil

For the Stir-Fry:

2 tablespoons sesame oil1 medium onion (diced)1 red bell pepper (diced)1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes1/2 cup sliced mushrooms1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger1 small bok choy (chopped)1/4 cup vegetable broth1/2 cup snow peas1/2 small purple cabbage (sliced thin)1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley1 teaspoon hot sauceSalt and pepper to taste

Steps to Make It

Marinate and Bake the Tofu

1. Gather the tofu and marinade ingredients.
    2. Instant Pot Vegan Yogurt
    3. Make the marinade: Combine the vegetable broth, lime juice, soy sauce, and sesame oil in a bowl.
    4. Add the tofu and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes, mixing occasionally to coat the tofu well.
    5. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grease a baking sheet or cover with aluminum foil.
    6. Bake the tofu for 15 minutes, turning once. Set aside.

Cook the Stir-Fry

1. Gather the remaining ingredients.
    1. In a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat, heat the sesame oil.
    2. Add the onion, bell pepper, red pepper flakes, mushrooms, and ginger and saute for 3 to 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
    3. Add bok choy and vegetable broth and cook for 3 to 5 more minutes.
    4. Add the cabbage and snow peas.
    5. Reduce the heat to low and add the tofu and remaining ingredients.
    6. Cook until just until combined and heated through.

Tips

Like most vegetarian tofu recipes, this tofu recipe will taste best if you press the tofu first. This allows the tofu to absorb more of the flavorings and seasonings it is cooked with.

Link: https://www.thespruceeats.com/vegan-chinese-kung-pao-tofu-recipe-3378426

• barbara12
    Options

Hello all..been pottering in the garden ..lots if bees in the wild patch of flowers 😁

Carol the test are a faff I would hate having it done by someone else though..awww another ggc..how lovely hope you can see them soon xx

Toni rhankyou for the mushrooms on toast one if my favorite... wow the car is immaculate the engine looks brand new..they have put a lot if work in..

Lucy certainly has the determination ..she us such a strong young lady 💞 how long will she have to wear the boot ,must say they were a great invention ..love to your neighbour best rest is good when needed xx

Joan do you gave to get up that early for the carers ...yes coronation St will be back to its usual time soon xx

Kath thankyou for the hugs and you are very welcome ..is today any better or us that a silly question

Thankyou for another goid recipe xx

Love Evonne and brynmore and everyone one else

Xxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • bosh
    bosh Member Posts: 4,167
    Options

Hi @tjt6768 , oh no, jammy dodgers are my secret vice too. I’m having a healthy turmeric tea that I’ve over- brewed, tastes like old slippers, lol.

• frogmorton
    Options

@bosh welcome to the cafe! It's lovely to see you. Being vegan I am very very happy that jammie dodgers no longer contain any animal products😊

Most of us pop into the cafe regularly for a natter and some distraction....some nice food (calorie-free of course!) etc If you want to know a bit about us I am happy to fill you in? Sleek is my cat, Vixen Mike 1's and Miss Cookie is Carol's (Turbogran)

I rather like turmeric tea! but so far haven't tried it over-brewed!

Joan your Dad was right a house with nothing lying about isn't a comfortable home is it? My car is just as well loved at that purple on - my brother reckons we can get the kit to do that to mine change all the pipes to pink silicone! Maybe we will.....😉

Have you tried the 'sensations sweet chilli peanuts? I LOVE them. They are a tiny bit spicy but if you like dry roasted.

Lucy is only in pain if she tries to stand on her foot without the boot. thank you ((())) xxx

Morning Kitty me darling!

Sadly that is not my car's insides, but a premium one at the 'Figaro do' a purple one. I might get my bro to work on getting Penelope that immaculate though! Maybe not the kit costs 219 quids!

I was going to post a pic of her upholstery you are right!

Thank you for the (((()))) some more for you ((())) although Sleek brings some over to you regularly I know.

Now that Vegan Chinese Kung Pao Tofu looks fabulous and get you! Beautifully linked @Brynmor must be proud!

Guess what? the alpro cuppa milk is BRILLIANT in tea☕️

Hello Barbara how are you today? Are your eyes stable at the moment? I hope so ((()))

I love mushrooms on toast too....so does Paul but he is uncouth and tries to eat it as a butty with his fingers🙄

Lucy will wear the boot for 4-6 weeks although she can take it off now when the foot is elevated and at rest. After 2 weeks she is to try to weight bear a little using the crutches.

The garden is really coming along I have another raised bed finished and I SOOOOO want to buy plants but my bro says to wait.....or they will get dusty. Not today it's raining like mad 😕

Chris managed to cook a meal yesterday and today she plans to venture outside even if it is only for 5 minutes ((()))

Love to Mike I hope all is well with you and Vixen too. Miss Sleek is fuming about the rain. The weekend is here - no workmen, but she still can't go out!

Carol I hope you have heard that Mr T is COVID negative by now? ((()))

Today is Saturday again already so croissants for breakfast for Aidan:

• frogmorton
    Options
  • dachshund
    Options

Good morning everyone

Kath ((())) I hope your Tesco order has everything in it you wanted ((())) love to Chris (()) Anita ((())) and Val ((())) and Emily ((())) and your Dad ((())) have a good weekend

Barbara ((())) yes I get up for the carers to open the front door and I get the hoist and the water for them sue can't get up with out their help. Have a good weekend all of you. We have to go to the Doctors this morning for a shingles injection.

Love to your son ((())) will you see Niamh ((())) this weekend love to your brother ((())) and his girlfriend (((())) have a good weekend all of you.

Toni ((())) was Lucy told that the hospital does not have the boots back I still have mine I asked that was what she said to me. No I don't like chilli. That is a good mask just right. Have a good week end all of you love to Paul ((())) Carley ((())) and Annie ((())) and the carers ((())) and Lucy ((())) and Tia ((())) and Kari ((())) and P ((())) and your lovely neighbours ((()))

Hello Bosh ((())) Nice to meet you ((()))

love to Chris ((())) Carol ((())) and Mig ((())) and Mike ((())) and Elliott ((()))

take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    Options

Hello all we had heavy rain and the roof us good 👍sunshine now

Hello and welcome to gosh sorry I can't see the post...xx

Toni rhankyou for breakfast Aidans favorite

I am 0leased your fliwers beds are count on ..I agree with your brother just hold off with the planting till the others are done

Ooh I think you should get the matching pipework for your car I think Christmas 😄and I am lovering the mask..

Happy to hear Lucy can take the boot off now and then ..especially has its so warm xx

Joan you are such a good help to the carers I really admire you .oh and thankyou for the reminders we have to book our shingles vaccine ...love to all of uou xx

Love to all

Xxxxxx

Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    Options

Morning everyone. WELCOME anyone 'new' who fancies popping by for a cuppa and natter😁

Mike I do hope you are doing ok? Haven't heard from you in a while🤨

How was your day off 'the net' Kitty-Kath? We miss you on Saturdays, but hope the break does you good?

Joan shame you don't like chilli, but it is a bit spicy so I understand. We had chippy dinner last night checked in with P and she was ok for food, but i did not like the sound of her at all. We are meeting up tomorrow morning. My poor neighbour is on bed rest with two pressure sores so no-one is great ATM. You and Sue are ok though?

I can imagine no-one would want a boot after someone else has used it. but it is a waste isn't it?😕

Glad you like the mask and yes what a great idea I can have the hose kit for Christmas!

Barbara good to hear your roof is watertight👍️ It lashed it down here yesterday when we were at teh chippy so I had to put the awning away wet and now it's out drying 🙄

Joan is spot on I can have the pipes for my car for Christmas. I'm always short of ideas. for my birthday I had a cover for Penelope didn't I? Did I ever post a pic for you all to see?

The boot is very warm in this muggy weather yes, but Lucy is doing fine. Not moaning at all just issuing her orders😀

WE bought some of our plants ready to plant up and have them under the trees well away from the work. Hoping they will come along in size by the time I can plant them out. That will save a bob or two😁

Next weekend will be lovely you can see Niamh!

I have heard from Chris she is still doing well now counting down to her cruise. She must get fit for then although cruises are very restful.

Not heard from Carol yet i am sure she will have had Mr T's results by now and they should be negative🤞

Take care everyone and enjoy this super unhealthy but calorie free breakfast!

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    edited 4. Jul 2021, 06:27
    Options

Mike I do hope you are doing ok? Haven't heard from you in a while.

Hi petal, nothing to report really just been watching TV and being frustrated that it is taken up with either football or tennis, luckily I have all the boxed sets of Game of Thrones so have worked my way through the first 5 series in the past month, about to start series 6 today. Lack of sleep as usual, constant pain as usual, feeling like I am surviving rather than living. Vixen is fine thanks.

Disability Cornwall push out a weekly email and this week they asked for articles for their next quarterly magazine under the title "My Pandemic" so I wrote this:

I served in the armed forces and was a bit of a fitness fanatic doing weightlifting, jogging, martial arts, cycling and so forth.  I am now disabled and in constant pain despite being on Morphine!  I live alone with my cat.  I hobble around on crutches in my adapted bungalow and use a wheelchair outside.  The DVLA withdrew my driving licence on disability grounds so my only transport is a mobility scooter which I can get to the village shop on.  There is only one taxi firm locally which can take me in my wheelchair and a return trip to the supermarket is over £30 so, added to the physical problems of shopping and now the risk of Covid, on-line shopping has been my only option for the past few years.  I have a Home Help once a week which I pay for, apart from her I can go for a couple of weeks without seeing anyone.  I only get about 3 hours sleep a night and wake up screaming in agony then spend around 20 hours sat in my recliner watching TV for company. 

At the start of the pandemic I had a phone call from Cornwall Council asking if I needed help with anything and saying that they would keep in touch by phoning once a month or so, since then I have not had any follow ups. 

Since the start of the pandemic there have been no changes to my life apart from the sheer frustration caused by able bodied people claiming that their life has become so hard; oh how they need a holiday; they have experienced stress and anxiety; and so forth.  Try a day living in my shoes!!  Another frustrating thing is seeing all those idiots on TV spreading Covid by not wearing masks properly or not wearing them at all; people not adhering to social distancing; their lack of respect for the emergency services and key workers such as supermarket staff. 

There have been several spikes in Cornwall simply caused by people coming down here illegally at the start of the pandemic and latterly swamping our County on holiday thereby spreading the virus and putting a strain on our very limited health services.  At one stage 2/3rds of the people admitted to Treliske Hospital with Covid were from out of the County.  We are currently experiencing another spike in cases taking us well above the National average, is it a coincidence that this occurred 2 weeks after half term?  I think not!  And shortly the school summer holidays will be upon us so we can expect yet another surge in cases.   

I can’t remember the last time I had a day out let alone a trip to the shops.  I have reduced the number of times I visit the village shop to once a week as there are so many second home owners and holiday makers down here and I certainly will not be going anywhere else despite the fact that I have had the double dose of the vaccine.  What some people do not seem to realise is that the vaccine does not give 100% effectiveness against the virus and one can still catch it, be non-symptomatic and spread it to others.  The last thing I need is to catch the virus on top of all my other medical problems. 

Summing up “My Pandemic”, I didn’t live beforehand I merely survived.  Since the start of the pandemic, no changes to my physical life but mentally  increased frustration and anger at the able bodied whingers and non-compliers. 

Me thinks they caught me when I was more depressed than usual!!