Book Club

Options

Comments

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry about the delay with update, as you know things aren't good with myself and I'm on Oro-morph every 4hrs for the pain I'm in. Due to this I really could do with a No.2 who could back me up if I'm not able to keep updating otherwise book club will disappear and I know I don't want that to happen as I think it's a fun thing. So if anybody wants to do that for me please say so.

I've nearly finished my book ( keep falling asleep mid read due to morphine!) and I think it should be book of the month, if anyone feels another book deserves to be book of the month please put it forward now with a reason why. And I will make my decision shortly.

Happy Reading!!
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Bubba, just let me know what you want done and I am happy to oblige.

I have read a few good books lately,

The Roy Grace novels by Peter James. (Dead mans grip)

Into the Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes (unputdownable)

The Wicked Girls by Alex Harwood very thought provoking

Aftermath by Peter Robinson ( also unputdownable)

Before I go to sleep by S J Watson (different and compelling)

As you can see not much housework done in our house :lol: Takes my mind off the pain though :D
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    I am thinking of writing my own book, the title will be

50 shades of gravy
    Its going to be a saucy book!!!

boomboom!

Nice one!!!

:lol:
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • fowls48
    Options
    Just Finished 50 shades stars ****
    and also just finished P.D James death comes to pemberley **
    and also Jenny Colgan west end girls ******
    and reading jenny Colgan Operation sunshine .

Toni i know i said i would try one of your selected books Sorry i am still waiting for my Android Tablet Mr Fowler is going to purchase me , So i thought i would down load from there .Fingers crossed it will turn up by Xmas :lol:
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    edited 2. Aug 2012, 14:13
    Options

Post deleted

May I remind you that it IS fiction, herestinker.
    Your comment about adopted people is totally unfounded, and as the parent of two adopted children, I find it offensive.
    Joan
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Thank you Moderator for deleting herestinker's post. People should always think carefully about what they are writing so as not to cause offence.
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Is this the real reason why Fifty Shades of Grey is so popular :?: :lol:

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/603400_386485874739294_2057025306_n.jpg
  • succotash
    succotash Member Posts: 83
    Options
    It appears that I have offended someone with my 50 shades of grey review.

I do send sincere apologies to who ever it offended.
    This was never ever my intention!
    The bit of text that offended has been removed.
    I do however still think it was my opinion, appropriate through personal experience but do appreciate it is maybe not the opinion of others.

Sorry :(
    How come I'm over the hill and rapidly going down it, when I don't even recall reaching the summit?
  • bubbadog
    Options
    I have asked suzygirl to be my No.2 for book club, and she will help run book club if I can't keep it running. I'm grateful for her doing this as I haven't been well enough recently.
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Hope you feel better soon Bubba.

I have just finished reading Cat and Mouse by James Patterson. I found it hard going and the story awkward.
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Sovereign by C J Sansom ****

The third in the Matthew Shardlake series. A really good historical read and I enjoyed this book as much as the first two. It isn't always historically accurate but if you can overlook that it is a captivating book.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • fowls48
    Options
    joanlawson wrote:
    Thank you Moderator for deleting herestinker's post. People should always think carefully about what they are writing so as not to cause offence.
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
  • succotash
    succotash Member Posts: 83
    Options
    Joan

Of course I KNOW its only fiction. Not true, made up, fabricated!
    Pesonal experience sometimes draws us to to feel strongly about some FICTICIOUS books.
    The more I think about it the more I dont really see what was wrong with my posting.

The book after all is about an adoptee and his difficulties in life due to his early experiences. So what is wrong with a discussion about this. Controlling behaviour and difficulties with relationships CAN happen to kids who have been abused and neglected, obviously I am not naive enough to think all adopted/abused/neglected kids have issues and my post never suggested so!
    This is after all the crux of the story!
    How come I'm over the hill and rapidly going down it, when I don't even recall reaching the summit?
  • lindalegs
    Options
    So what's the book for this month girls and boys?

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Thanks for your review Lindalegs. I am not sure what book of the month is,any suggestions?

Both of the books I read recently are in the top 25 bestsellers.

Wicked Girls by Alex Harwood

Into the darkest corner by Elizabeth Haynes

Both good, thought provoking books.

Anyone else an idea?

P.s Herestinker please start another thread if you wish to continue your conversation, it is not appropiate for the book club thread. Many Thanks.
  • ichabod6
    ichabod6 Member Posts: 843
    Options
    Ladies,

If you fancy a good dollop of erotic fiction read " A spy in the family"
    by Alec Waugh.
  • suzygirl
    Options
    I have just started reading The Ladykiller by Martina Cole. I have enjoyed previous books by her, they are gritty.
  • friarygirl
    friarygirl Member Posts: 36
    Options
    do any of you use an e reader ? I have a Kindle [ hope I am allowed to say thet here!] but know of others who are ill/disabled etc who use other similar products. Easier to hold, lighter and with mine I enjoy the luxury of some audio books on there too for when I am really tired or my vision is poor or at night when I cannot settle to sleep etc etc. use a great audio book website for these. I also have some vision probs and so can alter the size of the font as well! Wondered if others use these or had thought of it. I know you get the "you cant beat paper versions" comments but I cannot do any of the above with a paperback! FG
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Yup Friarygirl, I am enjoying being very recently reunited with a bit of a passion for reading courtesy of an iPad. I found holding books more and more frustrating to the point that I couldn't follow what I read cos my brain was too busy saying ouch and I kept dropping books. So annoying :x . As it is, reading on my iPad means I can curl up, prop it up or rest it in my knee and antisocially chop through novels again :D . I do love books - as in the paper editions but as they don't love me I'm glad we can now have an e-relationship again and I can read my problems and thoughts away-bliss! LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • lindalegs
    Options
    suzygirl wrote:
    I have just started reading The Ladykiller by Martina Cole. I have enjoyed previous books by her, they are gritty.

Why don't you make that the book of the month Suzy being as though you're just starting it, then we can all 'discuss' at the end of August?

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • suzygirl
    Options
    That sounds like a good idea, Legs. Does everyone agree? Or have a better suggestion?
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    I can read that one too

far more a Toni kind of book :)

Will dowload it to my kindle forthwith :wink:

(quite a lot of us have them yes Friarygirl - welcome from me :D )

Love

Toni xxx
  • lindalegs
    Options
    I'll download it too and shall read it after I've finished the one I'm reading at the moment.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Thank you Suzygirl for stepping in over the weekend, had a very bad weekend with Arther.
    So as a few suggested :-

August book of the month:-

The Ladykiller by Martina Cole

Could Suzygirl please give a full review as I myself haven't read the book but I do know Martina Cole's books are always best sellers and very gritty. I hope many of you will consider it for your next read. Enjoy!
  • bubbadog
    Options
    friarygirl wrote:
    do any of you use an e reader ? I have a Kindle [ hope I am allowed to say thet here!] but know of others who are ill/disabled etc who use other similar products. Easier to hold, lighter and with mine I enjoy the luxury of some audio books on there too for when I am really tired or my vision is poor or at night when I cannot settle to sleep etc etc. use a great audio book website for these. I also have some vision probs and so can alter the size of the font as well! Wondered if others use these or had thought of it. I know you get the "you cant beat paper versions" comments but I cannot do any of the above with a paperback! FG

I have said before people who use kindles, e readers and IPads are all welcome in to the book club. I know a few people who use Kindles happily and enjoy reading books off them, as long as it is a way of reading a book it is welcome to the book club!