Book Club

Options

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've downloaded and starting it today but will post a review at the end of the month as I wouldn't want to spoil others read with my opinion. :lol:

Luv
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    I will do this on wed/thurs as i will be getting my new Andoid Tablet :D , thought i would have to wait untill xmas .
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    fowls48 wrote:
    I will do this on wed/thurs as i will be getting my new Andoid Tablet :D , thought i would have to wait untill xmas .

Woo- wooooo!!

look at you a084.gif

:D pleased for you
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Bubba, I will post a review towards the end of the month as like Legs I don't want to spoil it for any one else.

I will say that the book does raise a few interesting questions such as the age old nature/nurture debate.

I found it a compelling read. I will be interested to hear other peoples views.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Thank you Suzygirl & Linda for using your noodle not like me for doing the review later on so others can read it! Suzygirl I haven't been great lately as you know and may not be around all week so keep an eye over everything for me. And my OH has suggested I read 50 shades of grey on our hols soon as it is a book club book of the month! So going to get it for my holiday which is very soon!
  • suzygirl
    Options
    How is everyone getting on with the book?
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Tell you at the end of the month :wink:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    so far so good Suzy :)
  • friarygirl
    friarygirl Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi, just downloaded it now and will start it later on! thanks
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    Have just finished The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel by Deborah Moggach.
    Didn't see the film so can't compare it to the book. For me, it didn't hold my interest or attention, certainly not a page turner. I could put in down and start reading in a different place without missing any of the story line because it didn't have one. In a couple of places it did raise a small titter :D but sadly not a throw your head back type laugh :lol: . I might buy the dvd when the price comes down.

I appreciate this is the book club post, but please excuse me if I mention a cd I've got hooked on. The Last of the Mohicans - I turn the volume up as loud as it will go and do my housework to it.

Janet x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    James Corden - May I have your attention Please?

Rating:- ****

I have to say this book made me laugh from the 1st page, it is written cleverly and holds your attention. Each chapter James also has :- Best Musical Accompaniment, Best Film to watch alongside and Best enjoyed with, which also makes you laugh. James Corden is a very funny man and the book showcases James comedian side really well a real page turner. If you enjoy James Corden and also like reading auto-biographies then this book is a must read.

I have brought 50 shades of Grey to take on my holiday to read so look forward to see what everyone has been talking about! :wink:
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Amanda, I love James Corden. I think he is hilarious :D I will look out for his autobiography.
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Just finished reading A stain on the silence by Andrew Taylor. It is a thriller that has a disappointing ending, that leaves more questions than answers. Not my ideal book, unfortunately.
  • suzygirl
    Options
    How is everyone finding the book? :D
  • lindalegs
    Options
    suzygirl wrote:
    How is everyone finding the book? :D

Might I just say it's not my normal read :shock:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    just popped in am reading best of friends but it has made me feel sad got to get to end and hope for positive out come
    val
  • lindalegs
    Options
    There's a guy over the road called George :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: I ain't gonna sleep tonight :shock:
    Love, Legs x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I'd forgotten how 'readable' Martina Cole is :wink:
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Legs, I am sorry :oops: I had to get in a car on a long journey after a book all about a car crash, :shock: , I think it was the same feeling you are having. :lol:

Maybe you could suggest next months book?
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Don't apologise Suzy, I didn't say I wasn't enjoying it and whatever my opinion don't be offended as you're not the author :lol::lol:

I like to think I'll read anything and have an open mind and also it's good to try other things afterall :D

I would like to suggest next month's book, thank you. :D:D

Would it be an idea to choose a different person each month to nominate a book so that we get a range of tastes? People might like to volunteer or we could ask someone who's submitted a review and obviously enjoys being part of the Book Club. (I don't want to take over your and Bubba's original idea so please don't feel forced to take up this concept as it's just a thought.)

Anyway back to reading :wink:

Luv
    Love, Legs x
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Legs, you didn't offend me. I didn't read last months book as it wasn't my cup of tea. Which is why I suggested you pick next months book. I think it is a great idea to get others to choose a book each month, I was thinking along the same lines as you :D

Just have to check Bubbadog doesn't mind!!! :wink:
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    :lol:
    frogmorton wrote:
    I'd forgotten how 'readable' Martina Cole, Yes but she is just so scary herself ....I T V 3 about women who commit mass murders :shock: ,Reading the Love Letter ,Fiona Walker ite not to taxing re knee pain ,I feel I must ask ,But has anyone read 50 shades of grey?.I havent but I am curious Marrianne :lol:
  • lindalegs
    Options
    marrianne wrote:
    ,But has anyone read 50 shades of grey?.I havent but I am curious Marrianne :lol:

It was last months Book of the Month Marrianne and if you scroll back you can read our reviews :)

Luv
    Love, Legs x
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    lindalegs wrote:
    marrianne wrote:
    ,But has anyone read 50 shades of grey?.I havent but I am curious Marrianne :lol:

It was last months Book of the Month Marrianne and if you scroll back you can read our reviews :)

Luv
    Thanks Legs ,Yes I certainly will well done girls ,Marrianne :lol:
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    I read loads. I order them online from the local library! Here are a few of my recent reads:

The Land of Decoration by Grace McCleen All about a 10 year old girl, and written from her point of view, who builds a model world in her room. She makes miracles happen. It is a sad book but really good I say ****/*****

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller An updated version of the Greek story about Achilles and his companion Patroclus. Brilliant and very easy to read. *****

For those that enjoyed the Twilight series A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness Got vampires, witches, Daemons and a love story. ****

Or there are always the True Blood novels by Charlaine Harris A more grown up Twilight, grittier and with less "waiting" if you get me?? The series probably isn't as good now as at the start. Oh and if you watch the TV series the books have quite different plots after the first series.

I have to go swimming now so will cut it short, but I might be back later!!