Book Club

Options

Comments

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Book Worms! Back for a week then off on hols! Yes that is a good idea Linda for volunteers to do book of the month, if you want to do the next one that's fine. If Suzy wants to 2nd that we will do it from now on and see how it goes. It means we get a varied style of reads.

I will be reading 50 shades of Grey on my hols and see what I think! Did anyone see the programme on channel 4 the other night? I saw the end and was shocked! :shock: If the book is anything like that programme my OH is in for an interesting fortnight!! :lol:

I'm away for a fortnight from Saturday, any questions, ideas,any book club stuff to be passed to my very wonderful No.2 suzygirl.
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    I will happily second Linda's idea. Our lovely legs get to choose next months book. It will be very interesting to see what books we get chosen to read.

I would like to say welcome to frogmella,it seems we have another avid reader to add to our book club :D
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome! Yes, I do read, a lot! :D Better than housework any day!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Welcome from me too Frogmella.

Nearly finished this month's Suzygirl :D

Love

Toni xxx

(Marrianne l missed that prog was it good? Funny how a fair few scary writers are women though :? )
  • frogmella
    Options
    Hi again!

I have just finished Split Second by Cath Staincliffe It was a gripping book, one of those where the point of view flips between several characters.

Here is the internet blurb : A group of rowdy kids on a bus, things sound nasty, they turn on a black boy, chase him off, a stranger intervenes and two boys are injured.

It's all about what happens afterwards really. The court case etc. I really enjoyed it so ****
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    k030.gif September Book of the Month is

Me before You by Jojo Moyes

Please join in the big read and even if you've already read this book maybe you'd like to add your review at the end of September.

I hope you enjoy it and even if you don't it'll be good to see what you think of it. :D

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • suzygirl
    Options
    :D Off to google now Legs
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    I prefer a book. Though it is large print nowadays. Joanne
    Joanne
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Options
    Read lots of first chapter on Amazon last night ,wondering how such a smashing author had passed me by ,waiting for free delivery by Monday ,Marrianne :)
  • frogmella
    Options
    Ooooh! I read that earlier this year. It was really good, can't wait to see what you all think. Enjoy!
  • lindalegs
    Options
    I've finished Ladykiller and am ready to write what I thought of it. As it's the August book of the month, I know one or two might still be reading it, so I'll wait for the green light before putting my review up.

Luv
    Love, Legs x
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Just ordered the book from amazon. Not sure I haven't read it before or another of her books, looks interesting anyway.

Legs, feel free to post a review unless someone responds they haven't finished the book.
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Thanks Suzy. :D

I'll give it a day or so j.i.c.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • suzygirl
    Options
    My book arrived yesterday from Amazon, looks good. Sure to appeal to far more than my choice did :oops: Have to try better next time! :lol:

I have another book in mind for next time. I have read so many 'great' ones, you forget.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I have alreday read that one Legs so will keep quiet till the end of Sept..... :? I promise :wink: (other than to say - enjoy it!)

When are we posting our reviews? Friday?

Love

Toni xxx
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Friday is good for me and we could say any time afterwards in case people want to read it later. Is that alright with Suzy and Bubba? ..............yikes it looks like I'm taking over :shock: Sorry I've got my organising hat on again :oops:

Luv
    Love, Legs x
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Friday is good for me :D

No worries about being organised Legs :wink:
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Friday then :D fanku :wink:
  • lindalegs
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Friday then :D fanku :wink:

You should read more Toni because you don't know how to spell :wink::lol::lol:

Friday it is.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Thought I would kick start the reviews -

I thought it was a good book, not the best book but readable. Lots of swearing which was rather unnecessary. The book almost tried to feel 'sorry' for the killer as he had an unhappy childhood. Whereas the mother must have had an unhappy childhood as well?

How much can you blame on upbringing, when do you start to take responsibility for yourself?

Anyway I give it 3.5/5

Roll on next months book ( and the others I read!!! :lol: )

Having my back injections on Wednesday so may well be reading more than usual.
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Review of Ladykiller by Martina Cole

This is the sort of macabre read you can't put down and is definitely a page turner. I was glad of George's story but I, too, felt as though we were supposed to feel sorry for him ......which I didn't!

The author was out to shock and tried to make each murder more dreadful than the one before. :shock:

It lost points for me also because the gangster 'Patrick' almost changed character; all along he wanted to killer his daughter's murderer with his own hands to make him suffer and then he meekly hands it over to someone else :roll:

The demise of George also seemed a bit lame.

If you enjoy graphic murder stories then you'll like this book.

Thanks Suzy for the suggestion. :D

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    If you like explorer true life stories then I can recommend the Kon Tiki raft expedition written by Thor Heyerdahl, I picked up a 1952 copy of the book and found it hard to put down really good stuff and it’s incredible it was done in 1947, they did it on a wing and a prayer and only had a battery powered valve Morse code SW transceiver for communication and a sextant for checking their position, a truly incredible story.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Review of THE LADYKILLER by MARTINA COLE

The first thing l noticed about this book was just how 'dated' it is, but me being me I love going back in time to when life WAS a bit simpler....there were no mobile phones, DNA testing rare and costly and people smoked at work :wink: (How I miss those days and smoking too actually :? )

I found i had a lot of empathy with the characters including the 'baddie' who was a downtrodded long-suffering bloke with an appalling childhood and an unloving wife. Some of his behaviour seemed almost forgivable.

BUT it wasn't - in fact his murders were particularly nasty and vicious; his victims innocent and undeserving.

I gave the book a 4* rating overall a good read.

Love

Toni xx
  • frogmorton
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    If you like explorer true life stories then I can recommend the Kon Tiki raft expedition written by Thor Heyerdahl, I picked up a 1952 copy of the book and found it hard to put down really good stuff and it’s incredible it was done in 1947, they did it on a wing and a prayer and only had a battery powered valve Morse code SW transceiver for communication and a sextant for checking their position, a truly incredible story.

Thanks for that Mell

True life stories is a genre I don't read enough of . Being a horrible murdery grisly sort of reader :oops:

bet it's not on kindle though. Where did you find your copy I am intrigued

Toni xx
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Mellman you appear to be a true 'book' lover. I too am intrigued as to where you came across your book.