Book Club

Options

Comments

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm literally a couple of pages from finishing 'What might of been'! Spent the whole weekend trying to fix a problem on my laptop! The stupid thing had some updates that where downloaded and since they finished the screen keeps flashing black intermittently it's driving me crazy!

Anyway back to 'Book Club'! It's that time of month again! Need to choose 2 books for 'Book Of The Month For December' Yes this book will be read over the Christmas period so a jolly fun books would be nice. So any recommendations please post, lets say Sunday is the last day for Recommendations so we can let everyone know what 'The Books Of The Month are for December next Monday.
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    OK! Will get my thinking hat on. I have a horrible cold at the moment and loads of reports to write but managed to read a fair bit of The Hourglass Factory so far. It is about suffragettes and murder so is a bit of a period whodunnit. I am enjoying it and it has come off reserve so I will be able to finish it! Phew!
  • bubbadog
    Options
    At last!! What Might Have Been By Matt Dunn

I have to say this was an excellent read if not slow to start, it kept you guessing right up to the end the 'will she or won't she' decision. It's about a young lady Sarah who meets a guy named Evan in a Jazz Club, he was playing the saxophone. It brings back memories to Sarah of her Farther. Evan & Sarah click and have a wonder one night stand. Evan gets the opportunity of a lifetime to go to America and live his dream so he leaves Sarah. Evan returns a year later and catches up with Sarah who has moved on and is engaged and about to get married but will her connection to Evan be too much and make her split from her comfortable life with David?
    *** 1/2 /*****
  • bubbadog
    Options
    If no one has any suggestions for December's Book Of The Month I will have a good look on Amazon the weekend and find a couple of nice books for the Christmas holidays as no one will want to read anything heavy then. I will post them on Monday. Unless anyone wants one serious book and one light hearted one. Let me know what Genre you would prefer one light hearted/one serious or two light hearted.
    Have a good weekend everyone and don't go bonkers today on Black Friday!! :lol:
  • frogmella
    Options
    I have written all of my reports!! :o:D:D
    I have nearly finished The Hourglass Factory and the weather looks so bad this weekend that I doubt we will walk tomorrow so I reckon I will finish it this weekend.
    I have had a bit of a look for a book for December. How about The Twelve Dates of Christmas by Lisa Dickenson? Looks light hearted and only £2 on kindle. No offence taken if not any good - I just thought I would have a look!

I have the new Philippa Gregory to read when I finish The Hourglass Factory but that shouldn't take too long!
  • bubbadog
    Options
    I think I've found 2 good books after spending 2hrs on Amazon for Decembers Book of The Month hope there's something for everyone with these! So firstly we have The Curvy Girls Baby Club By Michele Gorman and the 2nd is A Gift From Bob: How A Street Cat Helped One Man Learn The Meaning Of Christmas By (James Bowen). Enjoy everyone!!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Hello!

been a bit AWOL

but still reading when I can :)

I hope everyone is well?

Can someone please remind me which book we are supposed to be reviewing next week :oops:

I think I've lost it :shock:

My only brain-cell I mean :lol:

love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Novembers BOTM Toni was 'Little Black Lies By Sharon Bolton & The Two Of Us By Andy Jones Hope this reminds you! :)
  • frogmella
    Options
    I finished The Hourglass Factory by Lucy Ribchester this morning.

I enjoyed this historical murder mystery. It was based around the time of the Suffragettes and there was quite a bit of them in the story. The main character was Frankie George who is a journalist, but only gets to write gossip column type things. She gets interested in Ebony Diamond, a trapeze artist who is also a suffragette. Ebony disappears after one of her shows under very mysterious circumstances and Frankie takes up the case.
    I award ****

I am well, thank you, Toni. Managed to shake off the cold mostly and managed to swim on Friday!

I read The Two Of Us ages ago, and think I reviewed it then. Hope that review will do!! :wink:
  • bubbadog
    Options
    I thought Toni would love to read 'A Gift From Bob: How A Street Cat Helped One Man Learn The Meaning Of Christmas !
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I do love BOB Amanda how did you guess!!!

Glad you are well now Frogmella too :) I rather think I would enjoy the hourglass factory!

Right I will review them after tomorrow

Today's review from me today is:

Afterwards by Rosamund Lupton

I’ve just finished this book and am bawling!

It’s pretty rare books make me bawl….maybe the last time was Marley and Me??

Anyway this is a book about two women a mother and daughter 39 and 17. They have both been in a fire and are seriously hurt. The Mother has a head injury and is unconscious, the daughter is seriously burned, we later learn that the burns will not scar, but to start with we don’t know this.

This is the story of them both as well as of their closest family and friends. It’s about relationships understanding and most of all their love for each other. The two of them are ‘out of their bodies’ and able to wander around listening into conversations and talking to each other. No need for sleep so a lot happens in the few days the book spans. It emerges that the fire was not accidental and we are witness to them putting the facts together. Remember they are able to eavesdrop into everyone’s conversations, but unfortunately are powerless to communicate other than with each other.

Without giving far too much away I can’t say much more, but I really, really enjoyed the story. It was well written and I was even reading when I was cooking!

4 and a half *s from me!

Tararabit everyone

Toni xx :)
  • frogmella
    Options
    I think I might have read that one, Toni. It certainly rings a bell! I remember bawling at The Last Family in England by Matt Haig. I loved the book but it did make me weep! I also cried at Marley and Me!! Funny. Dogs dying I cry, humans not so much!! :oops:
    I am currently reading The taming of the Queen by Philippa Gregory. It is about Henry VIII's last wife, Katherine Parr. I am enjoying it. I always love a Gregory to be fair!
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Gregory's are a reliable read aren't they Frogmella? :) I'm not surprised you read Afterwards it would be your kind of book.

I've done my review for November's BOTM:

Little Black Lies by Sharon Bolton.

A story concerning our main character Katrin who is looker-afterer-of wildlife, (have forgotten the word!!), on the Falkland Islands.

She is alone as her two boys were killed in an accident caused by her best friend a couple of years ago, (not best now of course), leading to the breakdown of her marriage.

A boy goes missing, a young child, and while she, (reluctantly), helps the hero, Callum to look for him they find the body of another boy who went missing a year or so before. Suspicion falls on her because she has become so reclusive and the boys are a similar age to hers.

So that’s a brief outline – can’t say much more without giving too much away, but suffice to say she didn’t harm those boys so the book trucks on with one good twist I didn’t see although I did suss the perpetrator.

Overall I think I thought the book would be better, but it was ok an average 3.5 *s for me

Take care everyone :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Thank you for the review Toni, I do need to catch up on last months BOTM I was saving it for my holiday read in January.

I'm reading Diana:- A Closely Guarded Secret By Ken Wharfe It's very interesting, written by Princess Diana's protection officer who resigned from his post just before Diana withdrew from public life.

I hope everyone has a good weekend, I know I will be finishing my Christmas shopping and probably starting to wrap Christmas presents! And when I get a chance reading of course! All while I'm staying cosy and warm! :)
  • bubbadog
    Options
    I have learned I must not ever plan to do something! As Saturday night Mr Migraine decided to visit and stayed till Sunday evening! So didn't get any Christmas presents wrapped or found time to read so will have to add it to this weeks 'things to do'!! Hope everyone else had a better weekend! :(
  • frogmella
    Options
    Well, I finished The Taming of The Queen by Phillipa Gregory last night. Very good it was too. It followed the course of Katherine Parr's marriage to Henry VIII until he died four years later. It really hammered home how awful he was. By the time he married her he had killed two of his wives, sent one to die in a cold castle and abandoned one on her childbirth death bed. The marriage began well, but Henry was easily swayed by the people around him. By the end of the marriage Katherine was a frightened woman. Very good. ****/*****

I have the new book of Stephen King short stories to read next and I also have Us by David Nichols. I quite fancy A Boy Called Christmas by Matt Haig, having enjoyed some of his other books. Not at the library yet - might have to keep for next year!

Hope we are all well, Bubba hope your plans are happening again!
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I hope so too Amanda :)

Hi Frogmella :)

I am listening to an Agatha Raisin and reading some chick lit that's so bad I can't even remember it!!! :oops:

Also wrapping Christmas pressie ATM. Doing them on the breakfast bar or ironing board - works well :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • frogmella
    Options
    Oh, Frogmorton, you make me feel bad! I have only bought two presents so far and one of those is for secret santa!! I just don't feel very christmassy yet! Mind, I have put up my tree - complete with 1000 lights!!!
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Back on track again this weekend! Wrapping pressies and catching up on writing extra Christmas cards that I didn't moonpig mostly neighbours cards. Been listening to Christmas music while doing it to make the mood right. And this afternoon I'm planning to do some reading!! :candycane:
  • frogmella
    Options
    Glad to hear you are back on track.

I have cleaned my oven today - I finally got fed up of the house filling with smoke every time I used it!!

I am really enjoying the Stephen King book.

Not long to go at school now. Can't wait!! :santa2: :santa2:
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Lucy finishes tomorrow Frogmella :)

Well-done for cleaning your oven :shock:

A good job done there :cheesygrin:

I need some Christmas music Amanda!! It really gets you all Christmassy doesn't it?

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Oh yes when I was wrapping the presents I had the Christmas music on MTV Xmas (I think it was called) on load singing along!! Getting through Diana's bodyguard's book, nice to read another side of Diana's life seen by someone else. Well I hope everyone's ready for Christmas, our house looks like a Christmas grotto now! We have lights out the front and the back!! Hope everyone has a good weekend! :carolers:
  • bubbadog
    Options
    My friend who has written book told me about a friend of hers who has written a book that has been published on Amazon Kindle and she asked me to suggest it to you all it's a Christmas love story and is a short story, it's called 'A Christmas Gift Of Love' By Lisa Brunning.
    It's also time for Book Of The Month January And being the time of year I thought maybe use this one as a 'FREE PASS' so you can choose your own book as BOTM and review it as usual. Up to you unless you have any suggestions? :presents:
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hope all the Book Club Members have had a very merry Christmas and are ready for a fun packed 2016 of reading!! :cheesygrin: :cheesygrin: :cheesygrin:
  • frogmella
    Options
    I managed to finish The Bazzar of Bad Dreams by Stephen King over the holiday. It did, as promised, give me a few nightmares! Or that might just have been the stress of the MiL for 5 days!! :lol::lol: It was pretty much all top quality Mr King and I enjoyed most of the stories. ****/*****

I have begun Alice and the Fly which is good so far.

Happy New Year, bookies!!