edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Ok Amanda sounds like a plan :)

We'll be on standby and wishing you best of luck for your op xxx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi, Guys Here are the Books Of The Month for October No.1 is 'Little Black Lies' By Sharon Bolton and the 2nd is a different type of book so you have a choice which is 'The Two Of Us' By Andy Jones. Hope you enjoy whichever book you choose to read. Have a good Sunday!! :monster:
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Book-worms I have had a message from our Amanda (Bubbadog).

She has had her operation and is safely back home. She is in a lot of pain, but resting up reading and watching telly with Arnie-pusskin nearby.

As for the suggested cessation of her DMARDS (see thread on LWA), her GP is going to find out whether this is a good idea.

Love

Toni xxx
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Hello Bookies from Rainy Northumberland! This is the third time I have tried to get on here to post and the first time I have found the button to do so!! I love technology upgrades!! :horror-movie: :horror-movie:

It is good to hear that Bubba is back home - I am sure the pain will ease soon. A good excuse to lay around reading if you ask me!!

I finished After the Crash by Michel Bussi this week. I really liked this book. It is about a plane crash in the French Alps 18 years ago when the only survivor was a three month old baby girl. Unfortunately there were two baby girls of about the same age on the plane and no relatives had met the baby before she got on the plane. So she had to be matched up with the correct family somehow. This is the days before DNA testing etc so was a big problem. The two families are very different - one rich one poor etc. The book has two main strands - Credule Grand Duc's journal about his investigation (the PI asked to determine who the baby is by the rich family) and the present, mostly following the brother of the girl, who is now 18.
    It is a gripping whodunnit type of read and I found myself imagining all sorts of possibilities. Not one for Bubba, with the split time frames etc, but a really good read. I can imagine it being a film. I award *****

I have started The A to Z of You and Me and am enjoying it. It is about a young man, Ivo, who is in a hospice, I assume to die. Again there is split time frames as he is telling us about his past via an A to Z of his body parts.

We are off walking around Bamburgh today. Rain should have stopped by the time we get there I think! We have done quite well with the weather really and have walked every day.

Hope everyone is well and wishing Bubba a speedy recovery.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I loved the A-Z of you and me Frogmella :)

Just one thing - the cause isn't what you think it is.....

and have tissues ready ;)

Enjoy your hols

Hope Amanda is still on the mend

Love

Toni xxx
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Just downloaded November's Books of the Month.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I think I'm due to do a review on last months BOTM??

The Hills is Lonely by Lillian Beckwith

This is what I love about Book-clubs! You read stuff you wouldn't have found yourself :)

This book is the first of many based in the Hebrides.

Our Heroine is Miss Peckwitt an unmarried teacher from England who after an illness is advised by her doctor to take a long restful holiday in the country.

She advertises and gets a reply from a lady, Morag, from Bruach island. Her reply peaks her interest and speaks of isolation...." even the sheeps is lonely" being part of her reply.

Off she goes and we go with her on a funny, incredible, barking mad journey into the middle of nowhere. Miss Peckwitt is taken into the hearts of the islanders and welcomed so wonderfully and in turn she develops immense love for them and Bruach. Their customs and ways; tea drinking and ceilidh (Kayley to me!), weddings and funerals were all so down-to-earth and unintentionally humerous.

The misunderstandings to do with the translation of Gaelic to English are almost unbelievable! Before long I was reading in a Scottish accent and eagerly learning gaelic alongside Miss Peckwitt.

This was to me very readable and 'fast' read which fitted no obvious genre, but I fully intend to read more of The Tales from the Hebrides in the near future :)

It gets 5* from me :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • lindalegs
    Options
    The Hills is Lonely by Lillian Beckwith

This was an okay read for me. It had no storyline as such and was written more in anecdotal terms of day to day living in the Outer Hebrides. It wasn't a page turner, neither did I feel excited about getting back to it so I probably wouldn't read another in the series. Apparently when it was first published in 1959 it came with illustrations which I would've been interested in seeing. I do feel it would make a nice TV series akin to Last of the Summer Wine .....no I didn't watch that either! :lol::lol:

Three stars from me. 3*

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I suppose there wasn't a story was the legs? Luckily I enjoyed it!

Right am about to start Little Black Lies, but have to finish Perfect Daughter by Amanda Prowse first :roll:

love

Toni xxx
  • lindalegs
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    I suppose there wasn't a story was the legs? Luckily I enjoyed it!

Right am about to start Little Black Lies

love
    Toni xxx

I'm glad you did enjoy it Toni and that's the beauty of the Book Club we read books we wouldn't normally choose ....that has to be healthy for our minds! k025.gif

I've started 'Little Black Lies' - it isn't what I expected though I'm not very far in at the moment. I shall leave everyone to form their own opinions. :wink:

Love to the Book Dwellers :D
    Love, Legs x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    That's exactly what I like about the book club!

If it hadn't been for it I would never have found Agatha Raisin and I ADORE her!!! :)

Aha....intrigued now :?

Love

Toni xx
  • frogmella
    Options
    I finished The A to Z of You and Me by James Hannah last night.
    I enjoyed this story of a young man's life told by himself as he lies in his hospice bed. It was a sad story but held my interest. The end caught me by surprise but was a good ending, I think.
    I reckon ****

I am now going to start The Bees by Laline Paul.

Been very busy with school work again. Boo! Just as well I am part time else I would have no time to read at all!!! :horror-movie:
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Aha!! The ending caught me out too Frogmella I hope it would for you too!! Satisfying wouldn't you say?

Over half-way through Little Black lies myself now and ma enjoying it.

Have downloaded The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd as it is on kindle daily deal. I think it might make a good BOTM???

Love

Toni xxx
  • frogmella
    Options
    I read a book by Sue Monk Kid before I think? I think it was good so I would be up for that! I have such a pile of library books to read atm, I picked up another one by accident while I was in there today!! Thankfully all this rain might give me time to read tomorrow! I did think the ending of The A to Z was satisfying.

Hope we are all well, and that Bubba is recovering quickly.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    I'm glad you were happy with the ending of A-Z!!

So well-worth reading :)

Aha..if you've read a book my Sue Monk Kid chances are you'll like this one. Based on semi-fact. To do with slavery, but I hope not depressing as the slave is a child and the 'owner' also a child who later went on to become an abolitionist :)

Different form our usual books.

Love

Toni xxx

PS I also hope Amanda is getting well soon!

PPS I finished Little Black Lies. Ooops! I didn't guess the ending :?
  • frogmella
    Options
    OK! Maybe the Sue Monk Kidd will be a goer then? I haven't had any time to read this weekend! What a downer! Never mind, maybe things will get a bit less hectic now. Who am I kidding, got 60 reports to write early December!! LOL!
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Better get started then Frogmella!!!

hehehe!!

love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hi Guys, just popping my head in to say Hi! Pain is still off the chart and nearly finished my fortnight bed rest so my OH will be happy to have me back downstairs. I'm enjoying 'What might have been' over half way through it and hope to get it finished very soon!
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Aww Amanda ((()))

I hope the pain eases soon

Love

Toni xxx
  • frogmella
    Options
    Oh, Amanda. I am sorry that your pain is so bad. I hope it shifts soon.

I am enjoying The bees by Laline Paull. It is about a bee, oddly, and the hive in which she lives. I suppose if you like Watershed Down, Duncan Wood etc you would like this too. I am gripped - made time to read a couple of chapters today despite the pile of marking I have!! :D
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Ah ok Frogmella Bees... :?

If anyone like Hamish Macbeth 3 of his books are in today's kindle daily deal :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • frogmella
    Options
    I finished The Bees by Laline Paull yesterday. Bit horrible weather so lit the fire and read my book!! I really enjoyed this book. I know that bees don't sound like an interesting subject but this book really brought them to life. I am not sure how "accurate" to real bee life the story was but I don't care! It follows the life of Flora 717 who is destined to be a sanitation worker. There is a clear caste system in bee life and sanitation worker is the lowest of the low. All the other castes are named after actual flowers but the Floras are deemed too unimportant to even have that. Flora 717 turns out to be a special case and soon demonstrates skills that her kind shouldn't have. Her story has peril and there is something weird going on in the hive that she starts to realise. A really good story. *****

I now need to start The Hourglass Factory as someone has reserved it and I only have 13 days until it is due.

Hope Bubba is getting better and that you are all keeping warm and dry.
    I am fed up of being indoors so we are going to wrap up and walk on the Chase today.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hi Everyone, had a crazy weekend! My OH decided to buy the telly he's been drooling over for months so that was delivered yesterday all 65" of it! And I ordered a new mobile phone from 3 on Saturday as my poor Samsung is on it's last legs and keeps freezing! I've got the new LG phone being delivered Tuesday but don't worry anyone who has my number it isn't changing. As for the book I'm reading at present nearly finished should finish it in a couple of days managed to get a fair bit of reading done in between all the shopping (including Xmas shopping!). :shock:
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hello Amanda!! Good to hear you in high spirits :)

I just came in handy....my nephew (12) had homework to do on Holesby Louis Sachar. Luckily I have read it because he hadn't!!! Ok I admit it is a kids book, but a good one.....if anyone is interested??? about a boy called Stanley Yelnats - spot the anagram!

The bees sounded good and reminded me of a cartoon film I watched with the kids some years ago Frogmella :?

You'd better crack on with your book ;)

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Trying to finish the book! Couple of chapters left but keep getting distracted with deliveries, new mobile (not changed number!), rugrats and painful foot! I'm determined to finish it this week though! :roll: