Book Club

Options

Comments

• frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I quite enjoyed The Sudden Departure of the Frasers. I thought it was a bit like Desperate Housewives! I hadn't realised it had been likened to Gone Girl- it was nowhere near as good as that! I found both Christy and Amber irritating. I was thinking about it and also think it unlikely that they would have had to sell that house so cheaply too! It sounds like anyone would have paid market value for it! But, all that aside, it was diverting!
    I reckon ***/****

I have made a big dent in The Guilty One by Lisa Balantyne. I now have a cold so am feeling sorry for myself! Never mind!

The football was a good, first half anyway, shame that we let a 2-0 lead turn into a 2-3loss though!
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    frogmella wrote:

I now have a cold so am feeling sorry for myself! Never mind!

Another poorly book dweller ....I hope you feel better soon Frogmella. 020.gif

Love,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,485
    Options
    Get well soon Fromella :(

Legs you and I had better not hang around Bubba's cold sound contagious! :shock:
  • lindalegs
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Get well soon Fromella :(

Legs you and I had better not hang around Bubba's cold sound contagious! :shock:

Perhaps we should read up on how to build an airlock against germs ......with our Kindles, of course :wink:

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I'm very lucky as I have a furry hot water bottle named Arnie, he's been so sweet sleeping by when he's not being naughty (will see in other post!) The White residence still has the lurgy but now OH has gone and injured his heel and needs to go to the Dr's to see what's wrong. :zombie2:
  • frogmella
    Options
    Well, I am still feeling under the weather but this is an odd cold indeed! Went through one day of sore throat then a day or two of very runny nose and am now left with what I can only describe as a thick head - in every sense of the word! Thankfully it was my day off today so I had a couple of hours kip this lunchtime so I hope that might see it off! Been bad enough that I haven't swam yesterday or today!!! :o:o

It did give me time to finish The Guilty One by Lisa Ballantyne so there's always an upside! I enjoyed this one. Easy to read and kept me hooked and thinking all the way through. I was never absolutely sure if Sebastian was guilty or not but suspected he might have had something to do with his Mother's miscarriage. I award ****

I have started We are all completely beside ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler. Good so far.

Need to have a look at the library and order some of the BOTM now!
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Feeling so rubbish and my head feels like someone beating the heck out of drums when I cough so not felt like reading. Can't even concentrate on telly and not had an appetite since Saturday. Mind you the decorating is coming along all main walls done and OH has started on the feature wall this morning. Hope to feel better soon now on antibiotics.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    I have had to give up on 'The Guilty one' as it kept going back and forth between one character and another and back and forth through their history which you know is a pet hate of mine! And dealing with that on top of feeling rubbish made it worse. So I have now started 'What Might Have Been' By 'Matt Dunn' so hope to enjoy that. Hope everyone is having a good Weekend! :monster:
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Good Morning Amanda

I do hope you start to feel better soon ((()))

I know how you hate books that keep darting about and feeling so rough won't make it any easier will it :roll:

Glad the decorating is coming along well - so exiting!

Love

Toni xxx
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Just downloaded BotM The Hills is Lonely Lillian Beckwith. Looking forward to getting stuck in.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • alumina
    alumina Member Posts: 40
    Options
    I am reading "What Might Have Been". Not too sure about it as yet and haven't been immediately drawn in so need to read more. I will let you know how I get on.

Hard to keep up with books that jig about if you aren't feeling well. A nice easy read to take your mind off things is what is needed!
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."
    Margaret Mead
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Thank you Toni, Linda & alumina, I do need to seriously catch up on some reading! I hope I will enjoy 'What Might Have Been.
    Just a warning it will be time for 'November's Book Of The Month decision time so keep your eyes open for some possible recommendations. Also fingers crossed my Op will go ahead on the 28th so won't be around for a few days after so will need the 'frogs' to take over if it goes ahead.
  • frogmella
    Options
    I will have a bit of a think Bubba. I go away next Thursday until the Saturday 31st but have wifi in the holiday cottage so happy to help out! Hope you are feeling a bit better.
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Good luck Bubba I do hope your operation takes place on 28th.

I shall have a browse round too and see what I can come up with.

Love,
    Love, Legs x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Good morning everyone :)

I do hope Amanda is on the mend :? Of course we are all here while you recuperate from your Op.

I have started The Hills is Lonely and love it already!!!

Great book which I shall be recommending to my sister who lives in Fyffe and loves reading too :)

Love to you all

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Thank you guys, feeling a lot better today, had a PJ day yesterday and snuggled on the sofa with my new throw and the two rugrats Willow at the top by my head and Arnie at the bottom on my legs.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Well it's Friday and another weekend is upon us! Have a good weekend and stay warm!! :zombie-mummy:
  • alumina
    alumina Member Posts: 40
    Options
    frogmorton Glad you are enjoying "The Hills is Lonely". Good to have something to make us smile!

bubbadog I do hope your operation goes ahead as planned and that you make a swift recovery.
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."
    Margaret Mead
  • frogmorton
    Options
    It's F-f-f-f-freezing!

Hope you stay warm too Amanda.

Alumina - I have already recommended the book to my sister - it's so readable :)

That's what I like about book clubs - you get to read outside of your normal genre :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • frogmella
    Options
    I finished We are all completely beside ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler this morning.
    This is not a book for Bubba - it opens with Rose telling us she is going to start in the middle of her story so you know there will be a lot of "time travel"!
    However, I thought it was a really good book. Unfortunately I had read a review of it so knew the main plot "twist" at the outset which did take something away from my early enjoyment, but, regardless it had me gripped. It is a story about a family with three children - Lowell - the elder son, Rose - the younger daughter, and Fern - the middle daughter. Rose begins telling the story from when she is 5 and sent to stay with her grandparents for a while.
    It is a book that makes you think about a lot of things but I can't say much because it will spoil it for you!
    I award *****

I have now got FIVE books to read ready for my holiday - I go on Thursday afternoon!!! :D:D:D I'm not sure I will have time to read all of them over the 9 days as I plan on doing a lot of walking, but I am sure I will get through a couple or so.

I might be a bit busy until I go but I will check in once I get there!

Happy reading bookworms.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    That book broke my heart Frogmella :(

My own sister has just finished it too, but I still feel sick with sadness at Fern's sadness/treatment and promising to be good :(:(:(

I don't think I will ever get over it!

I reckon you'll read a few books despite the walking :)

Have a lovely time :)

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hope you have a great holiday Frogmella and I understand you will be busy in the run up to Thursday when you go.

I came across a book while on Amazon that might be a contender for 'Novembers Book Of The Month it's called 'Little Black Lies' by 'Sharon Bolton' see what you think and remember we need another one. If you have any recommendations please let me know by the end of the week otherwise I will choose one from my list. :)
  • frogmorton
    Options
    It's got four and a half stars on amazon and £1.99 on kindle - enough for me Amanda??

Love

toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    What I'm going to do is if anyone has any suggestions for November's Book Of The Month please post them by Sunday if there isn't any (remembering we need 2) I will go with Little Black Lies and choose another from my list as the 2nd book. So please if anybody has any suggestions please post them!!!
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Also just a reminder fingers crossed I will be going into hospital for my Op on Wednesday and won't be around the rest of the week. I don't know how long I'll feel rubbish for so until I'm back on the Frogs will be holding the fort. :zombie-mummy: