Options

Comments

• salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    frogmella wrote:
    Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel then.

I read this years ago so this might be a bit vague, I obviously liked it enough to want to read the new one though! I thought I should say that I came to read it because I had read Alison Wier's first two historical fictions (The Lady Elizabeth and Innocent Traitor) followed by loads of Philippa Greggorys and so I was quite keen on the Tudor era. Oh and had watched the Tudors on tv too.

So, Wolf Hall is about Thomas Cromwell's rise from butcher's(actually blacksmith, edit) son to chancellor (I think chancellor anyway)(actually secretary, edit). It is not quite as easy reading as the Wiers or Greggorys but still enjoyable. I am not sure how true it is either! There were bits when the prose became hard going, as I recall. Hilary Mantel's style is a bit all over the place sometimes and I found it confusing at times. Perhaps I was tired?! All in all I enjoyed it. Thomas Cromwell was a good character and I felt empathy for him.
    Rating ****

I loved this book frogmella! Found it took me a while to get into her style of writing but I couldn't put it down once I did. Just read 'Bring Up The Bodies' for my own book group. Not quite as compelling as WH but a very good read. Have you read 'A place of greater safety' by her? It's about the French Revolution and another page turner. She has such imagination she really brings the characters to life.
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Thanks for the tip slamander, I haven't read the one obout the french revolution so I will add it to my library list! I am enjoying bring up the bodies, I think more than wolf hall. Maybe it is because I have now got my head around her style?
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Ok Guys & Girls! So we have the book of the month from frogmella thank you for your choice, look forward to reading members reviews.

The snow child by Eowyn Ivey
  • frogmella
    Options
    Bring up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel

I have enjoyed this book, even more than Wolf Hall. It follows the last year of Anne Boleyn's life from Thomas Cromwell's point of view. Having read all the Phillippa Greggory's and Alison Wier's on the same period it was interesting to get a man's point of view, espescially such an influential one.

Henry now wanted rid of the wife that he had managed to marry by changing the religion of the country coupled with various other schemes. All the various ways of ending or anulling the marriage were looked at but then some loose talk reveals the way out and then we all know what happens.

Very good. ****
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Thank you frogmella for that review of Bringing out the bodies by Hilary Mantel Glad you have got used to the way of reviewing books frogmella and look forward to more reviews in the future.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    I'm a quarter the way through The Ladykiller by Martina Cole and I have to say I love it! It's not the usual sort of book I would go for but I can't put it down! I was talking to my next door neighbour about The Book Club and I saying to her that if it wasn't for The Book Club I would never have read it! And I said to her how grateful I was to you all for making The Book Club what it is. We all are a part of it.
  • frogmella
    Options
    When she Woke by Hillary Jordan

I have read this book over the last 2-3 days so you can tell it was fairly gripping! It is a tale set in a not too far off dystopian future where criminals are "chromed" rather than jailed. So they are coloured according to their crime. It is set in a very religious America where abortion is considered murder (controversial I know) and is about a youngish woman who is chromed red for this crime.

I enjoyed it, it made me think.

So *****

You all seem to be enjpying this Martina Cole book. I think that when I finish my latest True Blood novel I will order it from the library. Is it a thriller? Quite like a thriller me!
  • bubbadog
    Options
    frogmella wrote:
    When she Woke by Hillary Jordan

I have read this book over the last 2-3 days so you can tell it was fairly gripping! It is a tale set in a not too far off dystopian future where criminals are "chromed" rather than jailed. So they are coloured according to their crime. It is set in a very religious America where abortion is considered murder (controversial I know) and is about a youngish woman who is chromed red for this crime.

I enjoyed it, it made me think.

So *****

You all seem to be enjpying this Martina Cole book. I think that when I finish my latest True Blood novel I will order it from the library. Is it a thriller? Quite like a thriller me!

Thank you frogmella for your review, that book sounds really good I will add it to my Kindle when I have finished The LadyKiller. And your Question about the book, yes it is a thriller a very dark thriller. So your reading the True Blood books? I love the T.V series of it and Sky + it and watch them! Are the books anything like the T.V series? I would love to know!
  • frogmella
    Options
    Hi bubbadog,

The first book is fairly close to the first series but after that they diverge massively. I have watched all 4 series and often think "what is going on?" but so long as you separate the two it is ok. I have read all of the books so far, except the new one that I started yesterday. They are easy to read and quite good fun. If you read them you get quite a different opinion of Bill I can say! Oh and Eric too. I enjoy them as a bit of light reading. I read them after the first season had been on TV. I suppose there might be a few surprises ruined by the show but then it is so often different that you will still be guessing anyway!
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Just finished reading the book of the month. Won't spoil it for anyone else.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Well done you Suzy :D

I hope you enjoyed it?

I have been reading a 'manual book'

:shock:

I know MANUAL k030.gif

A friend said (joking) 'Do they still make them'? :lol:

It's a Nikki French book and now I am reading an Erica Spindler leant to me by one of the kids' friends. I have 4 manual books to read in all :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Hi everyone! I've still got 4 'manual' books left to read! Will save them till I have a book drought! Which with The Book Club will be a very long time!

Frogmella the 'True Blood' books sound interesting and fun, might be worth reviewing your favorite one! I'm sure there may be a few members who watch the series and haven't read the books or know of the books!

I'm still a couple of books behind on book of the month so need to catch up! Might need to do a 24hr read to catch up! :lol:
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Frogmorton, I love Nicci French books. Is it the same author? I am sure I have read an Erica Spindler as well.

I am feeling left behind and may have to invest in a Kindle.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    My Sis got her kindle second hand Suzy - I didn't know you could do that yet :? You don't have that issue where the book 'wants' to close if you kow what I mean and it really IS lighter :)

It was Blue Monday by Nicci French sorry I spelt her name wrong :oops:

She is good isn't she?

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Suzy don't think your getting left behind if you haven't got a Kindle. My OH got me mine as a early Christmas present! I haven't looked at it properly yet as I want to finish the book I'm reading.

Any member who wants to come forward and be this months book of the monthcan you let me know so I can choose. These alot of new books been released now for Christmas. I haven't looked at the new releases yet but will do when I get 5 minutes.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Bubba

I thought we were possibly reading this book:

Before I die

by Jenny Downham

as its about to be made into a film. It is a really good read, but a bit (a lot) sad.

So if people would rather not l would understand

Love

Toni xxx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    frogmorton wrote:
    Hi Bubba

I thought we were possibly reading this book:

Before I die

by Jenny Downham

as its about to be made into a film. It is a really good read, but a bit (a lot) sad.

So if people would rather not l would understand

Love

Toni xxx
    Sorry my mistake! Before I Die is this months Book of the month And we have already got Novembers Book of the month as we got ahead of ourselves! The Snow Child So don't need to think of December's Book of the Month till Mid November!!
  • frogmella
    Options
    I have just picked up the Ladykiller from the library so will start it tonight!
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Just finished reading the darkness in the shadows by M.L Briers on my kindle, really good book and so funny i was actually crying with laughter and in my condition it takes a lot to make me forget my pain.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Just finished reading the darkness in the shadows by M.L Briers on my kindle, really good book and so funny i was actually crying with laughter and in my condition it takes a lot to make me forget my pain.

Hi Beansprouts, Hello welcome to Book Club Thank you for reviewing your book, could you please do a review in the way we set our reviews out. If you go through and see how it's done I would appreciate that. Thanks for joining us and I look forward to see more reviews from you in the future.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Member Posts: 4
    Options
    The Darkness in the Shadows by M.L Briers.

It's a vampire/ witch/ romance/ humourous novel that people are saying is the new Twilight- but i'd put it more on a par with the T.V series The Vampire Diaries because of it's humour and adult content.

The book starts a little slow but it's not long before Cassie meets Michael ( Vampire) and the humour begins. The story really picks up in pace when Jack (Vampire) is introduced to the story and by chapter five and six I was crying with laughter.

It's sad, it's funny and if I could wish for anything this christmas it would be to have a little voice in my head like Cassie's because that really does make the book a scream.

It's a self publish and therefore could do with a little editing- but apart from that I really enjoyed it.

Without giving away the spoilers for the story i will say that I think it's a book you need to go back and read again once all the little details have been revealed.

I give it a 4/ 5 due to needing a little editing.

My first review- I hope it's ok.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    A great review thanks beansprouts :D

I have a feeling my daughters would love this book? They rather like vampire books.

By the way it's lovely to see you here in the book club welocme from me :)

Love

Toni xx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Great 1st review Beansprout! Well set out so easy to read and understand. Thank you for doing it again. Look forward to future reviews.
  • frogmella
    Options
    I'm a little over a half way through the ladykiller now and it made me stay awake reading until past my bedtime last night! It is really gripping, what a good suggestion. Thanks!
  • suzygirl
    Options
    I was wondering about an autobiography for December book of the month?

James Corden was last year but I haven't read it yet, David Walliams is this year and I am sure more are about. Any suggestions?