Book Club

Options

Comments

• frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai

This is a story about Lucy, a young librarian in America and Ian, a ten year old borrower. Essentially she "accidentally" kidnaps him but there is a lot more to the story than that. Lucy is of Russian descent and there is some family backstory there, Ian may be gay and his parents are evangelicals so there is a story there too. It is a little bit far fetched at times, but having read the last chapter I think it is intended to be.

I really enjoyed this book - I give it **** stars. :)
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Before I die by Jenny Downham

I struggled at the start of the book finding it childish, I persevered and found the second half of the book more interesting, although it had me blubbing into a hanky :oops: Having just recently read a few 'good' well written books, I can only give this a **

I have to confess to much preferring the Room by Emma Donoughue a much more well written and captivating book. I really enjoyed the originality of the plot and the incredible detail. For me a *****
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Thank you Suzy for those reviews, looks like your reading a lot at the moment! you've become a book worm! Glad to see you back with 'The Book Club
  • frogmella
    Options
    The Land of Decoration by Grace McCleen is a bit like Room, in as much as it is from a child's point of view and is also a bit "strange". I read it earlier this year and passed it to my friend to read too.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options
    suzygirl wrote:
    Before I die by Jenny Downham

I struggled at the start of the book finding it childish, I persevered and found the second half of the book more interesting, although it had me blubbing into a hanky :oops: Having just recently read a few 'good' well written books, I can only give this a **

I have to confess to much preferring the Room by Emma Donoughue a much more well written and captivating book. I really enjoyed the originality of the plot and the incredible detail. For me a *****

Well done you Suzy :D Glad you finished it. My kids snaffled my kindle and have all read ,'Before I die' and also 'before I go to sleep'

Will rescue my kindle and let you know what I read while I was away folks.....

KIds eh? :roll: Lucy (youngest) has connected her IPod to my kindle so she can read without pinching my book :wink:

Love

Toni xx

PS Bubba - yes definitely feeling ready for some cold winter nights readingt9507.gif
  • suzygirl
    Options
    I have read Before I go to sleep and loved it!!! :D

Trying to find a good book to read from the huge selection I have and discovering I have already read a lot of them!!! Need to keep searching!
  • frogmella
    Options
    Oh yes, before I go to sleep was brilliant! I really enjoyed that one. :D
  • bubbadog
    Options
    suzygirl wrote:
    I have read Before I go to sleep and loved it!!! :D

Trying to find a good book to read from the huge selection I have and discovering I have already read a lot of them!!! Need to keep searching!

Did you invest in a kindle yet Suzy? Doesn't matter if you haven't just wanted to suggest a book callled Thirst it was free on the kindle but you may be able to find it on Amazon if you just search for it, sounds a good read.
  • suzygirl
    Options
    No I haven't yet Bubba. I am thinking of it but eye hospital have just advised me against it as due to my eyes it would make it harder for me to read due to contrast.

I will look out for that book though, thank you.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    It's a shame you've been told to avoid the Kindle as you can change the contrast and the text to suit yourself, you do that on the set-up part. If you know anybody with a Kindle see if they can show you as it would be a shame to not at least see if it can be changed to suit you and find out it can, than you just take advice and pass by.
    If you like supernatural stories with Vampires you will like the look of 'Thirst'.
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Oh poor Suzy! It is so much easier on arms hands shoulders etc :(

Bubba might be right about the contrast expecially now with the kindle fire HD.....it's like a tablet almost at least it looks like that.

Love

Toni xx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Thank you Toni for your assistance I had forgot about the Kindle Fire!! :o
  • frogmorton
    Options
    bubbadog wrote:
    Thank you Toni for your assistance I had forgot about the Kindle Fire!! :o

I want one you see Amanda :(

But I love my own kindle too much to change it :wink:

Love

Toni xx
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Thats the problem when new updated things come out! It was like that when my OH got this Samsung galaxy SIII phone and I still had my blackberry. I was like I would never give up my blackberry I love it! Then I saw my OH new phone and I saw what it could do and I looked at my lovely sweet blackberry and I turned around and I said 'I want a Samsung Galaxy!' I felt like I had gone and had an affair behind my blackberry's back for 2 minutes and then was like well you have to stay keep updated these days!
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Member Posts: 4
    Options
    If you don't have/ want a kindle you can still use the app from amazon and download to your laptop/ pc etc. The app will ask what you want to download too. I sometimes just download to my laptop. It's all good.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    That is a great idea beansprout if you are happy to read on a laptop. Thank you for pointing this out to everyone.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Before I Die by Jenny Downham

A beautiful story told though the eyes of the main caracter Tessa who has terminal cancer. She decides to compile a 'before I die' list, and the book takes you on a journey through the final weeks of Tessa's life and her relationships with her family, best friend and her short lived true love. And getting her list completed. A book that will make you laugh, cry and not want to put it down. Now made into the movie Now is Good I truely enjoyed this book and I honestly thought I wouldn't! Going to watch the film now!!

Rating:- *****
  • bubbadog
    Options
    I had a look through the Kindle free book list yesterday to see if there was any good books worth giving a try. I got free an e-book called 'An Innocent Client' by 'Scott Pratt' And treated myself to '50 Shades Darker' by 'E L James' Guess what I've started started to read now? :lol: Hope everyone is alright and got heads in a book at the moment. I'm finding reading is helping me get through this Flare up at the moment.
  • frogmella
    Options
    To Defy a King by Elizabeth Chadwick

This was only my second foray into medieval historical fiction. I have read a lot of books around the Tudor period and wanted a change!

The style is very similar to Philippa Gregory. So, easy to read and woman-centric. It is about the families that were involved with Magna Carta. I don't know a lot about this period and so didn't know that King John was such a bad King!

It has piqued my interest and I can see me going on a bit of a binge of this author's books (and maybe others') to get some more context.

Enjoyable historical fiction.

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    frogmella wrote:
    To Defy a King by Elizabeth Chadwick

Enjoyable historical fiction.

Frogmella, Elizabeth Chadwick is my sister-in-law :shock: - I shall pass on your compliments :D:D:D Her latter books are faction though when she first started writing they were well researched fiction.

Her best book, in my opinion, is The Greatest Knight, the story of William Marshall.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • frogmorton
    Options
    You WHAT Legs?!!!

Legs is famous :shock:

Can I have your autograph Please :lol:

Makes me want to read that book now

Love

Toni xx
  • frogmella
    Options
    Wow, legs! How fab! I have actually been looking at her books on amazon and contemplating my next order from the library. I was going to read the three william marshall books and certainly will now!

Yes, please tell her I thought it was great!
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    Watched on tv an interview with author Kate Mosse recently in which she was talking about the final book in her trilogy. I saw the first one on sale quite cheaply called Labyrinth which I am now half way through (700 pages in length) and I shall certainly be reading the next two. As the reviews say on the back "compelling, intriguing, passionate, an action packed adventure of modern conspiracy and medieval passion". The book mixes legend, religion, history past and present. I think lovers of Dan Brown books will like this trilogy.

Janet xx
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Just finished reading Say Goodbye by Lisa Gardner. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and it really gave me the creeps. It made you care about the characters and wonder what would happen next. I give it a *****

Just started to read Shatter by Michael Robotham.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Thank you Janet for the information on the author Kate Mosse I'm sure it will be helpful for readers who enjoy that style of book.

And thank you suzy for the review on the book Say Goodbye by Lisa Gardner It sounds an interesting book! And I look forward to the review on Shatter by Micheal Robotham.

I'm still suffering very badly with the flare up I'm having at the moment so I hope you can bare with me if I'm not about here and there as I'm having to have a lot of bed rest a good excuse to keep my head in my kindle reading 50 shades Darker . I will try my hardest to get on here every other day. bubbadog (Amanda).