Book Club

Options

Comments

• archaeobard
    archaeobard Member Posts: 30
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have a sony ereader and I love it. It is so much easier than supporting a book, my wrists don't become sore from holding it.

I like to read all sorts of things so you will probably see stoke odd posts from me. I am currently reading two books.

Book 1) Gender, Sexuality and Syphilis in Early Modern Venice by Laura McGough. It is non-fiction and a pretty thorough historical account of the dreaded French Disease. I am finding it a little boring in places but there are some interesting chapters, particularly to do with treatments in the 1500s.

Book 2) The Eagle and the Wolves by Simon Scarrow. Historical fiction set in1st century Roman times focussing on the 2nd Roman invasion of Britain. It is the 4th book in a series and is a fantastic adventurous read. You live the story through two legionaries and their experiences. Scarrow is similar to Bernard Cornwell in his writing style so if you like the Sharpe series you may like this. In fact Cornwell has been quoted saying he does not need competition like Scarrow.

Kat
    Pain's just nature's way of saying, 'Hey, you're alive!'

Ares in "Forget Me Not" from Xena: Warrior Princess.
  • archaeobard
    Options
    Just downloaded September's book...doesn't sound like my normal cup of tea, but I will give it a go.

Kat

• archaeobard
    Options
    Swines!!! September's book has me hooked. The author writes fantastically...the characters are really 3D. I read two thirds of it in a day. I've got 50 pages left for tonight and have already gone through several tissues. I am surprised, this type of book is not really my thing, but I have been sucked into it. In fact, I have gone off and found the rest of the books written by the author and downloaded them.

Kat

• bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I'm sorry I haven't been around recently and wanted to welcome archaeobard to Book Club. You certainly read a lot of books and really enjoyed your reviews on them. You are a very welcomed member to the club and can't wait to read more reviews from you.
    Has a member been choosen to be book reviewer for October? If not can anyone who would like to do it please come forward.

I have been a bit behind what with holidays and just had a friend come to stay so now I have some time I need to catch up on books of the month! So will be getting the Martina Cole book shortly! :oops:
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    Options
    Hi Amanda,

Toni has chosen October's BotM, it's

'Before I Die' by Jenny Downham. :D

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Thanks for letting me know Lindalegs, look forward to seeing what people think of it! And now the dark nights and cold is setting in what better is there to snuggling on the settee with a nice warm throw over you and a bar of your fav chocolate bar close at hand while reading.

What does everyone do while reading? Is there a fav place to read? Do you like to eat, or nibble at something while reading? what is your ritual for reading?
  • lindalegs
    Options
    I like to read whilst eating my breakfast and when I stop for a tea break during the day (unless we have company). I always sit on a dining room chair with my book/kindle resting on a table. I gave up reading in bed years ago when arthur came to stay and I'd be uncomfortable to try again now.

I'm able to read much faster now I have a kindle because I don't have the struggle of turning pages. Kindles must be one of the best inventions for people with deformed hands :D

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • bubbadog
    Options
    The Martina Cole book is the last actual book I have brought, when my OH buys my kindle which will be very soon my next book will be on my kindle! I still have a couple of hard back books to read, will keep them for when I have the urge to read an actual book.

I enjoy reading snuggled on my sofa, in the winter I will have my throw over my lap. I sometimes (as a treat) have a bar of dark choclate or praline on the table to nibble!
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    I read in the bath, in bed and lying on the settee. I don't really eat when reading because I find it a distraction! My favourite treat is to go back to bed in the morning with a cup of tea reading my latest book. I love it when it is raining and miserable so that I don't feel guilty for "wasting the day".

I just read Fault Line by Robert Goddard. It was OK. Not quite gripping enough as a thriller for my liking, not massively a page turner!

I just picked up Bring out the Bodies by Hilary Mantel. I read Wolf Hall so have been eagerly waiting for this book. Expect me to go very quiet!!
  • bubbadog
    Options
    Frogmella I would be very greatful if you could do a review on Wolf Hall please as it would be helpful to Book Club. Hope you enjoy 'Bring out the bodies'. My new book 'The Lady killers, Martina Cole' has arrived so looking forward to starting that this evening. Everyone have a good weekend and happy reading! :)
  • bubbadog
    Options
    My amazing,wonderful OH brought me a gift home yesterday, told me to close my eyes and put my hands out (which I did like a good little women!) and when I opened them there was a new shiney Amazon Kindle! I'm such a lucky lady! So now I'm a member of the electronic readers club! I will read my Martina Cole book then the next book I buy will be on my Kindle.

I just got reminded by my OH to add I got a second gift from him! A nice large bottle of Jack Daniels Whisky! My fav! So I can have a tipple when I want to keep me warm or a few when I want to get drunk! He also wanted me to add he brought proper Coca Cola not no cheap substitute to ruin the Jack Daniels! :lol:
  • frogmella
    Options
    Bubbadog - :lol: How nice of your hubby to treat you to top notch booze and mixer to boot! Oh and the kindle of course!

Wolf Hall then. I read this years ago so this might be a bit vague, I obviously liked it enough to want to read the new one though! I thought I should say that I came to read it because I had read Alison Wier's first two historical fictions (The Lady Elizabeth and Innocent Traitor) followed by loads of Philippa Greggorys and so I was quite keen on the Tudor era. Oh and had watched the Tudors on tv too. So, Wolf Hall is about Thomas Cromwell's rise from butcher's son to chancellor (I think chancellor anyway). It is not quite as easy reading as the Wiers or Greggorys but still enjoyable. I am not sure how true it is either! There were bits when the prose became hard going, as I recall. Hilary Mantel's style is a bit all over the place sometimes and I found it confusing at times. Perhaps I was tired?! All in all I enjoyed it. Thomas Cromwell was a good character and I felt empathy for him.
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    Bubba, I hope you enjoy your kindle. I also like Jack Daniels :D I have just finished reading The Ladykiller by Martina Cole. I enjoyed it and I hope you do too.
  • Mumof1
    Mumof1 Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Hi all,

I am also a huge Martina Cole fan, and have all of her books apart from the new one out.

I also collect Phillippa Gregorys books, and I have a couple of Alison Weir, I love everything to do with the Tudors.
  • suzygirl
    Options
    One of the books I read whilst in hospital was Annabella by Georgette Heyer. I love her books such an easy uncomplicated read, full of old fashioned romance. Got to be a 5/5.
  • frogmella
    Options
    Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel then.

I read this years ago so this might be a bit vague, I obviously liked it enough to want to read the new one though! I thought I should say that I came to read it because I had read Alison Wier's first two historical fictions (The Lady Elizabeth and Innocent Traitor) followed by loads of Philippa Greggorys and so I was quite keen on the Tudor era. Oh and had watched the Tudors on tv too.

So, Wolf Hall is about Thomas Cromwell's rise from butcher's(actually blacksmith, edit) son to chancellor (I think chancellor anyway)(actually secretary, edit). It is not quite as easy reading as the Wiers or Greggorys but still enjoyable. I am not sure how true it is either! There were bits when the prose became hard going, as I recall. Hilary Mantel's style is a bit all over the place sometimes and I found it confusing at times. Perhaps I was tired?! All in all I enjoyed it. Thomas Cromwell was a good character and I felt empathy for him.
    Rating ****
  • lindalegs
    Options
    Sorry Frogmella but I couldn't get on with Wolf Hall and gave up after I was a third way through. For me Hilary Mantel didn't draw me into the character of Thomas Cromwell and I put it down to her style of writing .....or possibly my lack of intellect :shock: :D I know many people who did enjoy it though, so I'm in the minority, I think. Another bestseller I had to give up on was The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. There were too many characters with a similar name and I just lost the plot, literally.

Now review of Me Before You by Jojo Moyes 5*

This is a book I enjoyed so much I shall read it again. I know it's chicklit and a simple read but it draws you in immediately. Although the story was quite predictable and I knew there was a choice of two endings I could not have guessed which way it would finish but I knew it would be emotional. Loved the characters and the way it was written and is the best book Jojo Moyes has penned IMO.

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • suzygirl
    Options
    I loved the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy. :D

Me before You by Jo Jo Moyes

I have gone off predictable chick flit reads as they all live happily ever after and no one gets arthritis :lol: However this book was charming, uplifting and had some funny moments. It was also sad in parts but I found it to be a really good read..

Thank you Legs for an excellent choice.

Looking forward to this months read.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    I have started reading Martina Cole The Ladykiller and I'm upto chapter 3 and already I'm 'ohhhing' and 'arrrrring' and driving my other half mad! Already I know I'm going to love it so thank you! :DMe before you sounds like it's going to be a good read so thank you Linda.

Now all Book Club members I want you to think about who and what book to put forward for next months book of the month. There's alot of new great titled books out there now as I said the Christmas titles are out there now. Look forward to seeing who comes up with a good choice! :wink:
  • lindalegs
    Options
    bubbadog wrote:
    Now all Book Club members I want you to think about who and what book to put forward for next months book of the month. :wink:

What about Frogmella to choose November's book Amanda? Hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here :oops:

Luv,
    Love, Legs x
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Snap, Legs!!!!!!!! :wink: I was about to suggest exactly the same thing :D
  • frogmella
    Options
    Oooh, no pressure then! :D I have some on order from the library so can I have a think please? Or should it be one I have read and thought was good?

I have worked out the problem with Wolf Hall from reading Bring up the Bodies. It is that she (Mantel) writes "he" or "him" whenever she refers to Cromwell and sometimes it is confusing because you think she means one of the other characters. Am getting my head around it and am enjoying so far. Will write proper review when finished.

I am going to have to read When she Woke by HIllary Jordan next as someone else has reserved it. Then I am getting the next True Blood book - Deadlocked.

I will get back to you about next month's book shortly!!
  • suzygirl
    Options
    Helen, it can be a book you like or a book you want to read. It is entirely up to you.
  • bubbadog
    Options
    O.k frogmella you can be the [/b]November[/b] choice of book of the month It's better if it's a book you have read so you can give a short breakdown of the book. I look forward to seeing what you decide. Remember you have to think what book all members will enjoy, not a heavy book with zillions of pages! and a book that is widely available. Enjoy being 'November's member's choice of book
  • frogmella
    Options
    OK! I'm on it. I have consulted my book journal. I read about a hundred books last year (no exageration!) and am a bit spoilt for choice but how about...... The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey?

It is a magical story based on a fairy tale. It started a little bit slow and I did think it might be depressing but it wasn't. It isn't a massive book and kept me gripped.

Enjoy!